Western Michigan Preview and Game Thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Western Michigan Preview and Game Thread

Postby Motor City Sam » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:23 pm

Coming off their home loss to the Toledo Rockets, the Titans welcome another MAC foe to the historic Calihan Hall as Western Michigan visits. Tip off is at 2:00 PM Saturday, December 9, and the game is broadcast on WADL 38 (Dan Dickerson and Earl the Twirl) and 910 AM (Cliff Russell). It's baseball reunion day, and we will probably be missing Titan Reggie more than we usually do.

Good to have the Broncos on the schedule again after a cold war period related to the transfer of some players from the Bronco program to the Titan program.

The Broncos stand at 5-4 after their 78-67 win over Cleveland State on Wednesday night. The most impressive win the Broncos have this season has a familiar ring: a road win over St. Louis. WMU handled the Billikens a little easier than we did, taking the contest by a 65-51 final score. WMU also has a 78-73 loss to Oakland and a 103-71 win over Siena Heights on their slate. In a scheduling quirk, WMU has played the University of South Carolina twice this season, losing in South Carolina six days apart by scores of 78-60 and 79-66.

Western finished last season 16-16, 11-7, but Street and Smith picked the Broncos to win the Western Division of the MAC in 2017-18. The Broncos had eight freshmen getting valuable experience last season and finished the season wining 10 of 11. Hopes are high.

The Broncos are led in scoring by senior guard Thomas Wilder who averages 19 points per game and was a pre season all conference pick. Wilder had good offensive stats across the board, hitting 48% from the floor, 35% from three, and 80% from the charity stripe. Balance, however, appears to be the key for Coach Hawkins and the Broncos. Eight players average double figures minutes, and six players average between 11 and 6 points per game.

Probable Starters
Thomas Wilder: 6-3 senior guard, 19 points, 3 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals per game. He's the real deal.
Brandon Johnson: 6-8 sophomore forward, 8 points, 4 rebounds per game.
Bryce Moore: 6-2 junior guard, 10 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists per game.
Drake Lamont: 6-10 senior center, 7 points, 5 rebounds, 1 block per game.
Josh Davis: 6-5 junior guard, 8 points, 8 rebounds per game. Detroit kid, look for a loud cheering section for him.

Key Reserves
Reggie Jones: 6-6 sophomore guard/forward, 11 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists per game. Second leading scorer on the team.
Michael Flowers: 6-2 freshman guard. 4 points per game. Southfield kid, should have some support in the crowd.
Seth Dugan: 7-0 junior center. 6 points, 5 rebounds per game. Not sure of his availability. He has missed the last four games.

Some random facts:
Wilder is the first Bronco to ever accumulate 1500 points, 300 assists, and 300 rebounds.
The Broncos have appeared in four NCAA tournaments, most recently in 2014. They beat Virginia Tech in 1976 and Clemson in 1998.
Former Bronco Walker D. Russell spent parts of five seasons in the NBA, including time with the Pistons.
WMU was part of the first college basketball game I ever attended. WMU vs EMU at the old Bowen Fieldhouse sometime around 1978.
Coach Steve Hawkins is in his 15th year as head coach of the Broncos. He's had four losing seasons during that time and 6 twenty win seasons.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Re: Western Michigan Preview and Game Thread

Postby MooseGuy1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:41 pm

This appears to provide a seamless translation, Sam. Excellent work without any drop in quality that I can discern. I now know about a 100% more about WMU than I did before reading the preview. Everyone should be gratified that we can lose a quality poster like Commissioner and just plug in the next poster with no adverse effect.

Now that said, it should be pointed out that no one has ever actually seen Motor City Sam and the Commissioner at the same time. What that means, for sure, I don't know. Just thought I'd put it out there.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:05 pm

MooseGuy1 wrote:This appears to provide a seamless translation, Sam. Excellent work without any drop in quality that I can discern. I now know about a 100% more about WMU than I did before reading the preview. Everyone should be gratified that we can lose a quality poster like Commissioner and just plug in the next poster with no adverse effect.

Now that said, it should be pointed out that no one has ever actually seen Motor City Sam and the Commissioner at the same time. What that means, for sure, I don't know. Just thought I'd put it out there.

Actually, Moose, you've seen the Commissioner and I at the same time. Then again, there are probably still some posters who think you and I are the same person. :)
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:01 pm

I wouldn't expect to see Seth Dugan take the court for WMU tomorrow. I hear he has suffered a stress fracture.

Official Titan preview, including mention of the Titan Reggie award. http://detroittitans.com/news/2017/12/7 ... urday.aspx

Official WMU preview: http://www.wmubroncos.com/news/2017/12/ ... urday.aspx
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:21 pm

Wow! Updates as they happen.

I'm normally a nervous person. As an example, my doctor wanted me to switch from Xanax to Valium, but this had me worried. So now I take the Xanax to calm my nerves enough to take the Valium. But then I worried that maybe I'd be aggravating my doctor by not discontinuing the Xanax. So I did what any rational (but angst ridden) person would do in this situation: I took another Valium so I could relax about still taking the Xanax. It worked. The extra Valium made it much easier to continue taking Xanax to alleviate my anxiety about switching to Valium. This works well for me until I lose consciousness and by morning I'm good to go. I'll design a flow chart at a later date to make this tale easier to follow.

The point I'm making is that when the Commissioner decided to take a leave of absence for December, it naturally made a jittery person like me very uneasy. But...that's all been solved. I am again very, very, happy.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:32 pm

Motor City Sam wrote:
MooseGuy1 wrote:This appears to provide a seamless translation, Sam. Excellent work without any drop in quality that I can discern. I now know about a 100% more about WMU than I did before reading the preview. Everyone should be gratified that we can lose a quality poster like Commissioner and just plug in the next poster with no adverse effect.

Actually, Moose, you've seen the Commissioner and I at the same time. Then again, there are probably still some posters who think you and I are the same person. :)

Allegedly. But they'd have to believe the validity of my claim, were I to make it. And I'm a notoriously unreliable narrator. Well...now, it's true that I've claimed to see you both. But that might only be because it's a necessary claim to make the illusion appear real. Ah, but only I know for sure.

What can't be denied, though, is that no one has ever seen all three of us at the same time. ;)
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:37 pm

Sam, you state that "...there are probably still some posters who think you and I are the same person." So the joke's on you because you thought that "Cease and Desist" order you had served on me would put a stop to such talk. Hah! :D :D :D
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:43 pm

MooseGuy1 wrote:Wow! Updates as they happen.

I'm normally a nervous person. As an example, my doctor wanted me to switch from Xanax to Valium, but this had me worried. So now I take the Xanax to calm my nerves enough to take the Valium. But then I worried that maybe I'd be aggravating my doctor by not discontinuing the Xanax. So I did what any rational (but angst ridden) person would do in this situation: I took another Valium so I could relax about still taking the Xanax. It worked. The extra Valium made it much easier to continue taking Xanax to alleviate my anxiety about switching to Valium. This works well for me until I lose consciousness and by morning I'm good to go. I'll design a flow chart at a later date to make this tale easier to follow.

The point I'm making is that when the Commissioner decided to take a leave of absence for December, it naturally made a jittery person like me very uneasy. But...that's all been solved. I am again very, very, happy.

That was hilarious. I had to read it to my wife so I could hear it aloud. Still hilarious. :D
udballer
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:45 pm

udballer wrote:
MooseGuy1 wrote:Wow! Updates as they happen.

That was hilarious. I had to read it to my wife so I could hear it aloud. Still hilarious. :D

I had to take a valium just to calm down from laughing.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:53 pm

You guys are laughing at a sick person. That is very sad.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:11 am

It appears the Titans are getting 5 1/2 to as many as 6 points. That makes sense; the Broncos are a giving group. Sometime back, Xavier ended up with the former Bronco and unique looking Matt Stainbrook and we landed the more conventional appearing Juwan Howard Jr. That was a good deal for us. I really liked JHJ, especially when it came down to one shot. I still miss his family (mom and aunt) around Calihan Hall. They were fun and knew the game well.

The over/under is 163. Take the over, if you must. And I mean it this time: Take the Titans and the points...in fact, take the Titans even without the inducement. The Official Moose Prediction (from the home office at an undisclosed Hazelden-Betty Ford Clinic somewhere in a state with moose): Detroit-Mercy Titans 87 Western Michigan Broncos 79. GO TITANS!!!

God bless, Reggie. Still miss you.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:15 am

MooseGuy1 wrote:It appears the Titans are getting 5 1/2 to as many as 6 points. That makes sense; the Broncos are a giving group. Sometime back, Xavier ended up with the former Bronco and unique looking Matt Stainbrook and we landed the more conventional appearing Juwan Howard Jr. That was a good deal for us. I really liked JHJ, especially when it came down to one shot. I still miss his family (mom and aunt) around Calihan Hall. They were fun and knew the game well.

The over/under is 163. Take the over, if you must. And I mean it this time: Take the Titans and the points...in fact, take the Titans even without the inducement. The Official Moose Prediction (from the home office at an undisclosed Hazelden-Betty Ford Clinic somewhere in a state with moose): Detroit-Mercy Titans 87 Western Michigan Broncos 79. GO TITANS!!!

God bless, Reggie. Still miss you.

Amen to all of that.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:07 am

This morning's line WMU by 6 1/2 points.

I hope many Titan faithful head to Tom's after the game to hoist one in Reggie's memory. I'll be there in spirit, downing a shot and a beer (tonight).
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby udballer » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:20 pm

I literally cringe when we are on a break with numbers and end up with a Cole Long 3-pointer. Before anyone snaps at me, I do realize he was open and is a "shooter".

This is the type of team we should absolutely handle at home. Hoping to not be on the edge of my seat with 3 minutes to go. :)
udballer
Senior

Postby kirky313 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:23 pm

I cringe when I see long check-in. Does black remind anyone of Foster from our 2012 team?
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:41 pm

udballer wrote:I literally cringe when we are on a break with numbers and end up with a Cole Long 3-pointer. Before anyone snaps at me, I do realize he was open and is a "shooter".

This is the type of team we should absolutely handle at home. Hoping to not be on the edge of my seat with 3 minutes to go. :)

It's not entirely his fault. The rims in Newfoundland are only 9.5 feet tall. Takes getting used to.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:46 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:
udballer wrote:I literally cringe when we are on a break with numbers and end up with a Cole Long 3-pointer. Before anyone snaps at me, I do realize he was open and is a "shooter".

It's not entirely his fault. The rims in Newfoundland are only 9.5 feet tall. Takes getting used to.

This is true. It has something to do with the exchange rate.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:48 pm

Without 4-4 from the stripe for Jaleel, we'd be in a 1 point game.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:49 pm

And the Newfoundland time zone too. It's all complicated up there.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:51 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:And the Newfoundland time zone too. It's all complicated up there.

It's on the half hour. Really a miracle that anyone can function when they leave the place.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball