Where we might be on January 20

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Where we might be on January 20

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:18 pm

I'll note that when I read the poll on this board about firing BA, I initially thought it meant firing him at the end of the season. It was not until I read the comments that I realized at least a few people want him gone now. I think this is relevant and worth discussing because we do have an Assistant Coach who has actually won a few games this season (although, I realize he has haters on this board as well. Perhaps more than the current HC).

What's interesting (scary) to me, is where this program could potentially be on January 20th. We play a 4 game home stretch against Wright St, NKU, Cleve St, Y'Town St and then travel to IUPUI. We then host OU on the 20th. I could EASILY see us losing ALL of those games, putting us at 4-17 (with 2 of those wins against non D1 opponents). I could EASILY see us getting blown out by OU on our home court and I could EASILY imagine OU having 4 fans to 1. It could be awful.

Again, don't know the details of BA's contract. Don't know what it would cost us to get him to leave. I do know that if we are 4-17 and get blown out by OU in 18 days, it makes at least giving JJ a chance to coach the remainder of the season very attractive to me.
Tacitus651
Senior

Re: Where we might be on January 20

Postby cedar1973 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:15 pm

You also must get rid of the AD and everyone connect to this program.
Blow it up start over with a commitment to excelance
cedar1973
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:19 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I'll note that when I read the poll on this board about firing BA, I initially thought it meant firing him at the end of the season. It was not until I read the comments that I realized at least a few people want him gone now. I think this is relevant and worth discussing because we do have an Assistant Coach who has actually won a few games this season (although, I realize he has haters on this board as well. Perhaps more than the current HC).

What's interesting (scary) to me, is where this program could potentially be on January 20th. We play a 4 game home stretch against Wright St, NKU, Cleve St, Y'Town St and then travel to IUPUI. We then host OU on the 20th. I could EASILY see us losing ALL of those games, putting us at 4-17 (with 2 of those wins against non D1 opponents). I could EASILY see us getting blown out by OU on our home court and I could EASILY imagine OU having 4 fans to 1. It could be awful.

Again, don't know the details of BA's contract. Don't know what it would cost us to get him to leave. I do know that if we are 4-17 and get blown out by OU in 18 days, it makes at least giving JJ a chance to coach the remainder of the season very attractive to me.

I think the haters of J.J. are few and far between just very vocal and in a hurry to slander A.S.A.P. When the thing went down between BA and Jones I think it was one of the #'s guys who were quick to say it was J.J. and J.J.jr who went to Vowels. I was against both the Vowels and BA appointments but right now I think the only chance to get in front of the mob running us out of town is W. Green. That looks like the only thing that might make this even resemble a parade. So until the band does start playing lets support what right now looks like two more bad decisions by our so called Mercy decision makers and do our part to keep those decisions as minimally evasive as possible. We have all heard the over used saying" When the going gets tough the tough get going" and that doesn't mean eating our young. So suck it up Buttercups and lets move forward.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:20 pm

We will get blown out on January 20th.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:58 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:We will get blown out on January 20th.

Maybe! I watched Oakland and GB the other day and they seem to have some attitude problems of their own.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:28 pm

People were saying much the same thing last year before we played at Oakland, R.B. Then Hogan erupted for 39, McFolley made quite a few FTs late and we won 93-88. It's why they play the games.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:47 pm

I think you may be right T651!!
The-Dude
Senior

Postby Notsosmart » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:10 am

Or we might win all 5 of those games and be 5-2 when Oakland comes calling. We are 1-3 against Oakland at home so we are due to beat them. 6-2 and all the bullsh$$ will be gone, BA for coach of the year will be the headlines. Other then NKU I think we will be favored in every game up till Oakland
Notsosmart
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:53 am

If our losing streak continues (which I seriously doubt will happen), the Oakland game on the 20th could be our 15th consecutive loss - which would tie the program's record long losing streak set back in 1987-88.
HSScout1
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:14 am

For those Gents that think we will win a bunch of games before OU, I offer this: Our next win will be axhibition game against Larry Tech, next season. Now, can we meet somewhere in the middle?
The-Dude
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:57 am

To be clear, I'm not predicting we will be winless in HL before hosting OU. Between CSU, YSU and IUPUI, I think we get at least 1 win and maybe 2. The problem is we tend to play down to the level of team we are playing, and we have been shutting down the last 10 minutes of many games. The other problem is we play 2 good teams before those games and morale could be quite low. What are the odds we are winless in HL on the 20th? Maybe only 10%. But, if we end up that way, maybe it does make sense to fire BA at that time. I hope that we are not in that position.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:12 pm

OK. I understand now. Before Jan 20, we could go 5-0. Or, we could go 0-5. Or we could go any other permutation of wins and losses that adds up to 5 between now and Jan 20. All I can say is that I'm glad there are no ties in basketball or we could be here forever lamenting the possibilities. :roll: ;) :D
ptctitan
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:34 pm

1-20-18 has almost arrived. As Tacitus651 stated if Oakland sends 4 or 5 busses to Detroit, it will be extremely embarrassing for Vowels. I'll be there in red with my brood of 3, and once again my children will ask, why does your team always lose? Why can they guard #_______, he always makes his three pointers and nobody ever checks him!
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:18 pm

The thing is, we performed just well enough and won the two home games. That was at least a step in the right direction. And doing it without Chatman was more encouraging. But then there's still the very likely possibility Hogan never wears a Titan uniform again. And there's the first half against IUPUI that was plain atrocious. The final score wasn't AS bad, but we all know what we saw. Sometimes the eye test tells you a lot more than a box score can.

I'm back to being pessimistic. I hope we find a way to compete Saturday but it's hard to see HOW.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:06 am

Tacitus, good call on the 2 win / 3 loss prediction.

It was good to see that JJJr shot well the last 2 games. His shooting percentage moved from .320 to .367 which puts him in front of McFolley, Long, Ballantyne and Ollie. He still is leading the team in missed shots, but the last two games has helped a little. Still not seeing much improvements in the assists category. I did not see any of the games over the past week, but I can't imagine his defense got better.

I do know that our RPI keeps going south. We are now at 290 out of 351. Horizon League is pitiful with 6 teams in the bottom 25% of D1 hoops.
Wright = 70
NKU = 107
OU = 145
Milw = 246
UIC = 266
EIEIO = 282
Titans = 290
YSU = 322
CSU = 332
GB = 340

Not many anticipated that we would lose two players due to grades, but we still must try to move forward.

No idea how we can compete with OU tomorrow. We don't have anyone who can cover Nunn or Hayes. I do not feel confident that we will have more fans than OU tomorrow, as a matter of fact I am worried that we will be seriously outnumbered on the fan front. We do have our fabulous AD and coaching staff - I bet we are all brimming with confidence on that one!

I am pretty sure we did not expect to be where we are on January 20.

Hopefully on January 21, the Board decides to get rid of our AD. Then we can begin the process of finding a good AD and then at season end get a new basketball staff.
Titans96
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:24 am

I was reading on the OU forum that they were a little late planning the transportation for the game at Calihan and that they only have one fan bus for their students. But they do have a pregame lunch kind of thing and some students plan on driving their own vehicles, plus I have to imagine at least a few dozen of their loudest alumni show up. So you can see how that adds up fast.

Before I converted to a Tigers fan I was a Cubs fan. I used to love going up to Milwaukee for games where we outnumbered Brewers fans 4 to 1 and shout "Wrigley Field North." I'm afraid that's what's happening here. I've never been to an OU/UDM game at Calihan but man it sounds loud on TV, mostly "Ohh Ohh Ohh Ohh" and cheers when the Grizzlies make a bucket. It's embarrassing. Part of that is they're multiple times the size of us when it comes to student body. Part of it is they have (had) a competent athletic director.

Whatever the case, I do hope that Vowels has a plan to get butts in the seats. Students, alumni, or hobos who might cheer for the Titans if they're told they get a free hot dog if the Titans win. I hope the team finds a way to compete and it's not a disaster on the floor or for attendance. Wish I could make it. The reason I made this thread about January 20 is that this game in particular tells us a lot about the program and Titan athletics in general.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:45 am

Tacitus651 wrote:I was reading on the OU forum that they were a little late planning the transportation for the game at Calihan and that they only have one fan bus for their students. But they do have a pregame lunch kind of thing and some students plan on driving their own vehicles, plus I have to imagine at least a few dozen of their loudest alumni show up. So you can see how that adds up fast.

Before I converted to a Tigers fan I was a Cubs fan. I used to love going up to Milwaukee for games where we outnumbered Brewers fans 4 to 1 and shout "Wrigley Field North." I'm afraid that's what's happening here. I've never been to an OU/UDM game at Calihan but man it sounds loud on TV, mostly "Ohh Ohh Ohh Ohh" and cheers when the Grizzlies make a bucket. It's embarrassing. Part of that is they're multiple times the size of us when it comes to student body. Part of it is they have (had) a competent athletic director.

Whatever the case, I do hope that Vowels has a plan to get butts in the seats. Students, alumni, or hobos who might cheer for the Titans if they're told they get a free hot dog if the Titans win. I hope the team finds a way to compete and it's not a disaster on the floor or for attendance. Wish I could make it. The reason I made this thread about January 20 is that this game in particular tells us a lot about the program and Titan athletics in general.

I’ve seen no specific outreach to alumni relative to the OU game. What I would have liked to see, at a minimum, is something like an email sent to the alumni database with a special offer, say general admission for $5. The pitch could have been mentioned both the Rivalry Series game and the 20th Reunion for the 1998 team.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:33 pm

Cool idea. I don't know though, Athletics and university ticket offices seem to be against trying new things or offering discounted prices, not just at UDM. Maybe it would be a disincentive to buy season tickets. And, really, is the price that relevant? If you're going to drive to 6 Mile and park your car on a cold winter day, does $5 incent people to go that wouldn't pay $15 or $20? Maybe some people, but discounting your marquee home game would be embarrassing. Although, pretty much everything about this season has been embarrassing. I'd be interested to hear what the students received to encourage them to show up. I'd be holding post-game parties that required getting a ticket before the game started. I'd be doing raffles to give away bookstore gift cards, I'd be doing ridiculous halftime stunts. You might say all that stuff costs money, but so does paying our athletic director $193,000 per year (according to the 990 from a few years ago). I hope we end up getting someone like Konya. The more I read about what he did at OU the more impressed I am.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:50 pm

I don’t think offering discounted tickets to the OU game is embarrassing. My wife is an OU alumnus and I’ve seen her get all kinds of incentives and even offers for free tickets for Grizzlies games. If we don’t want to discount tickets, then just send out an email advertising the game and reunion, and encourage folks to come out and support the Titans this weekend. Might not do any good, but how can it hurt. Do something.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:56 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:I don’t think offering discounted tickets to the OU game is embarrassing. My wife is an OU alumnus and I’ve seen her get all kinds of incentives and even free tickets for Grizzlies game. If we don’t want to discount tickets, then just send out an email advertising the game and reunion, and encourage folks to come out and support the Titans this weekend. Might not do any good, but how can it hurt. Do something.

I agree with all of this. Unlike past years, there hasn't been much buzz about this game at all. The official website has a countdown, but I haven't seen anything in the way of promotions or advertising.

Heck, we should have just made arrangements with the UDJ High School student cheering section and a local high school band or two to attend the game and cheer for the Titans.

It's a real shame that we won't have a big crowd of Titan fans to recognize the 98 team.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball