Tony Paul article in the Detroit News

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Tony Paul article in the Detroit News

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:55 am

Today’s Detroit News article on college basketball leads with a discussion on prospects for continuing the OU/MSU
series, but then proceeds to Tony Paul’s take on the state of the Detroit Mercy program:

http://detne.ws/2DTEO7e
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 2656
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Tony Paul article in the Detroit News

Postby JimmyChitwood » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:44 am

Rogobob77 wrote:Today’s Detroit News article on college basketball leads with a discussion on prospects for continuing the OU/MSU
series, but then proceeds to Tony Paul’s take on the state of the Detroit Mercy program:

http://detne.ws/2DTEO7e

The articles say of BA:
He still hasn’t coached a victory this season.

OUCH!
JimmyChitwood
Senior
 
Posts: 1326
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:30 pm

Re: Tony Paul article in the Detroit News

Postby ptctitan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:03 pm

He hasn't won a game all this year either. :lol:
ptctitan
Senior
 
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 am

Re: Tony Paul article in the Detroit News

Postby JimmyChitwood » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:48 pm

ptctitan wrote:He hasn't won a game all this year either. :lol:

He's also undefeated this year.
JimmyChitwood
Senior
 
Posts: 1326
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:30 pm

Re: Tony Paul article in the Detroit News

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:24 pm

Paul hasn't been suspended from his job.
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 1912
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Tony Paul article in the Detroit News

Postby titanmike » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:09 pm

JimmyChitwood wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:Today’s Detroit News article on college basketball leads with a discussion on prospects for continuing the OU/MSU
series, but then proceeds to Tony Paul’s take on the state of the Detroit Mercy program:

http://detne.ws/2DTEO7e

The articles say of BA:
He still hasn’t coached a victory this season.

OUCH!


He translated his twitter feed to an article and acts like he is an authority. When has he ever been to a game except maybe Oakland v Detroit.
titanmike
Senior
 
Posts: 1729
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: Tony Paul article in the Detroit News

Postby ptctitan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:35 pm

So, in addition to his reporting about the Tariiq Jones incident, Tony Paul goes hard after Bacari for two consecutive weeks. The articles began:

"This is the latest installment of a weekly series looking into the college basketball scene in Michigan."

You see his snark in the link above to his last article published 9 days ago.

Then, Oakland loses to NKU and Wright State over the same weekend that we lose to them. And then the Oakland AD quits to go to Northeastern. And then we and Oakland win on the same night.

When the news about us and Oakland becomes about the same, the weekly series is no longer exactly weekly. Suddenly, the Kithier case is more important. Hmmmm ...
ptctitan
Senior
 
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 am

Re: Tony Paul article in the Detroit News

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:48 pm

Tony Paul always seemed to like OU over us but maybe that's just how I see it. My main problem with him is that he often gets too political. He's constantly retweeting snarky liberal crap that has nothing to do with sports. Sports reporters really should stick to sports so they don't alienate half of their potential followers. All he's doing is limiting his following on social media which is pretty stupid for a local sports reporter, journalism being a dying industry and all.
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 1912
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Tony Paul article in the Detroit News

Postby titanmike » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:40 am

Tacitus651 wrote:Tony Paul always seemed to like OU over us but maybe that's just how I see it. My main problem with him is that he often gets too political. He's constantly retweeting snarky liberal crap that has nothing to do with sports. Sports reporters really should stick to sports so they don't alienate half of their potential followers. All he's doing is limiting his following on social media which is pretty stupid for a local sports reporter, journalism being a dying industry and all.


Good and accurate assessment
titanmike
Senior
 
Posts: 1729
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: Tony Paul article in the Detroit News

Postby StJoeUofD » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:09 am

Without trying to cross the line from sports to politics, I interject that pretty much anyone in the USA should be able to retweet snarky liberal crap or churlish nationalist garbage. That goes for a Titan fan or a guy in an oval office. There is no one forcing us to read it. If their actions cause them to lose their followers, then they will just have to live with the consequences of their actions.
StJoeUofD
Senior
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:30 am

Re: Tony Paul article in the Detroit News

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:17 am

I agree, StJoe. No one is saying sports reporters should be banned from retweeting partisan stuff. I'm just saying it's a dumb move professionally. I don't follow Paul on twitter because of his snarky partisan stuff, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I wouldn't be surprised if he's so nice to OU because he sees potential employment with them the next time Detroit News does a round of layoffs.
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 1912
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Tony Paul article in the Detroit News

Postby StJoeUofD » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:24 am

Well, there is an AD job available up there, but I have already written about my favorite candidate.
StJoeUofD
Senior
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:30 am


Return to Men's Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: titanmike, upbasketballfan and 15 guests