Wright State Raiders Preview and Game Thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Wright State Raiders Preview and Game Thread

Postby ptctitan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:57 am

Glad I did not book that 91-58 prediction. :P :twisted: :mrgreen:

Who the heck is sugarcoating the fact of the loss, tacitus? Our team competes. Our opponent competes. The loss hurts. And I bet it hurts the players and coaches a lot more because they played. Was your head bleeding at the end from trying to steal the ball?

FYI, heading into this game, McFolley and JJJr had the same 3-pt shooting % for the year and both missed five 3-pt shots tonight. Just pointing out that the awful shooting tonight was not confined to the coach's kid. Just as the low FT % tonight was not confined to Hogan.

It's easy to be a fan when your team is winning. It takes guts to show up and root for your team when it is losing. Isn't this the time that the fans should be rallying around the team instead of conducting a vendetta against certain members of it?
Last edited by ptctitan on Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:57 am

Interesting question. The NCAA has a list of the 3 point shooting percentages for 148 players both Josh (.287) and JJJr (.300) have worse stats that the lowest guy on their list. Our guys didn't make the list because they don't average 2.5 makes per game. If they based the requirement to get on the list on how many they shoot, they would be shoo-ins to make the list. Most of the people on the list have attempted less triples than JJJr. Go Figure!
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:11 am

ptctitan wrote:Glad I did not book that 91-58 prediction. :P :twisted: :mrgreen:

Who the heck is sugarcoating the fact of the loss, tacitus? Our team competes. Our opponent competes. The loss hurts. And I bet it hurts the players and coaches a lot more because they played. Was your head bleeding at the end from trying to steal the ball?

FYI, heading into this game, McFolley and JJJr had the same 3-pt shooting % for the year and both missed five 3-pt shots tonight. Just pointing out that the awful shooting tonight was not confined to the coach's kid. Just as the low FT % tonight was not confined to Hogan.

It's easy to be a fan when your team is winning. It takes guts to show up and root for your team when it is losing. Isn't this the time that the fans should be rallying around the team instead of conducting a vendetta against certain members of it?

PTC you really don’t get it, do you?

If the bozo would stop shooting 3’s and pass the damn ball to his teammates who can shoot, we win the game. Instead, bozo shoots and misses and the other team gets the ball. We lose. You really can’t understand basketball fundamentals. Are you one of the coaches? Seems like it.
Titans96
Senior

Postby udballer » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:19 am

Too bad Isaiah appeared injured again. In the end it looks like a wasted scholarship for the Titan basketball team, but good luck to him.

Corey looks disinterested out there. I'd hate to base a comment on little more than a "vibe" but I'm getting a little concerned that he may take his talents elsewhere next season. He was allowed to take 1/3 of the shots that JJJ took and played only 15 minutes less than the talented frosh, so maybe I'm wrong.

McFolley has always been a streaky shooter who needs to get hot to be dangerous. The previous couple years he would find his groove more often than not. This year he seems tentative to let them go for fear of something... being benched maybe?

The two coaches kids are the only two that seem to play like they have a green light to let it fly whenever they want. I kinda understand that with Kam, but someone needs to get JJJ to tone it down. The worst possession of the game was when he tossed up a 30 footer early in the shot clock during our run that grazed the front of the rim.
Last edited by udballer on Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
udballer
Senior

Postby udballer » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:27 am

Titans96 wrote:
ptctitan wrote:Glad I did not book that 91-58 prediction. :P :twisted: :mrgreen:

PTC you really don’t get it, do you?

If the bozo would stop shooting 3’s and pass the damn ball to his teammates who can shoot, we win the game. Instead, bozo shoots and misses and the other team gets the ball. We lose. You really can’t understand basketball fundamentals. Are you one of the coaches? Seems like it.

I think the reason many people get turned off from your posts is because you do things like refer to a college freshman as "bozo". You should knock that stuff off if you actually want your point to be heard.

I think JJJ will end up a productive Titan. I don't think he should be starting right now. I absolutely don't think he should be leading the team in minutes. I positively don't think he should take 3x more shots than Corey. But, he's not a bozo. He simply plays like nobody has ever told him "don't do that"... which is probably the case.
udballer
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:32 am

There is no reason why we lost tonight. Wait a minute there is. No offense of coaching and lack of drive by some of the players.The game was 69-70. Detroit calls a time out. The play that is run was give the ball to Chatman to shoot a contested three. Wright state goes down the court and 13 dribbles of a pick the guy rolls off of it Jjr and Jones don’t communicate ( or play good D) leaving 13 wide open to shoot the three ( he was shooting .500 from the three tonight) then jjr jump out at him when it was to late. This is the end of the game. Pathetic
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby udballer » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:40 am

JDetroitTitan wrote:There is no reason why we lost tonight. Wait a minute there is. No offense of coaching and lack of drive by some of the players.The game was 69-70. Detroit calls a time out. The play that is run was give the ball to Chatman to shoot a contested three. Wright state goes down the court and 13 dribbles of a pick the guy rolls off of it Jjr and Jones don’t communicate ( or play good D) leaving 13 wide open to shoot the three ( he was shooting .500 from the three tonight) then jjr jump out at him when it was to late. This is the end of the game. Pathetic

Our defense has always been designed to identify the other team's best three point threat... and then let him shoot open set shots from deep all night. It's been that way for a number of years now. It was the one single thing I was hoping the Ray to BA transition might fix. JJ must have learned it from Rays teams and talked BA into keeping it in the strategy.
udballer
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:58 am

udballer wrote:
Our defense has always been designed to identify the other team's best three point threat... and then let him shoot open set shots from deep all night. It's been that way for a number of years now. It was the one single thing I was hoping the Ray to BA transition might fix. JJ must have learned it from Rays teams and talked BA into keeping it in the strategy.

I thing BA must of found Ray offense play book in the desk to and is using it. After a time out let a player jack up a contested shoot and cross your fingers That he will make it. So far it has worked on one of are games this season to send it in the OT to win. Who knows it might work again.
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:16 am

Rogobob77 wrote:Official attendance: 561.

That is brutal.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:43 am

Regardless of whether or not there were positives from today's game (and from the pieces of the game I saw from a TV in a waiting area at work I liked what I saw from T. Jones and the rebounding of Chatman) the cold hard truth, cold and hard as the wind chill factor in Detroit this morning, is that this was our tenth loss in a row and it happened at home in front of officially 561 people. It hurt just to type that.

We need a win streak like the City needs temperatures above freezing.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby udballer » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:03 am

Tacitus651 wrote:
udballer wrote:As Sam mentions in the preview, Wright State likes to play at a slower pace and is averaging only 68 points / game. Further research shows that to this point they are shooting 42.5% from the field and only 32% from deep. It would be a good start to see us hold them near those percentages and to less than 75 total points tonight.

Well, I'm sure our chaos defense will prevail as always.

Whatever it was that we employed defensively led to 45% overall, 45% from 3 and 80 total points for Wright State. The defensive effort put forth ended up improving Wright State's averages for the season. We ended up only giving up 80 to a team that likes to slow it down. Defense remains my biggest concern.
udballer
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:15 am

T96 - My point was not that JJJr always takes good shots. he does not. My point was that every player last night contributed to the loss. They all took bad shots. They all (except CA) missed free throws. They all missed defensive assignments - especially in the first half. To single out JJJr for last night's loss is a biased analysis because you don't like him or his father. Therefore, it affects your judgment even when you are not posting ad hominem attacks. It's that simple. If someone's vision here is obscured by tinted glasses, it is yours.

Maybe you ought to act more frequently here in a manner consistent with the meaning of the AMDG that you posted above.

udballer - Corey Allen looks like he has been playing through a leg injury incurred during or since the Western Michigan game.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:35 am

After a late night in Calihan, went straight to bed and now am catching up on this thread.

1) We were awful in the 1st half, except for Hogan, who seemed more active and in better shape.
2) Benzinger hit 5 3s from the top of the key in the 1st half, including the last one on which he was fouled and made a 4-pt play out of it. That is crazy, to let that guy stand there and pop.
3) In the 2nd half Benzinger only made 1 more 3, I believe. I was watching him and we did adjust and stay with him much better. Unfortunately, that 3 was the back-breaker, turning a 1 pt lead into a 4 pt lead late in the game. And it was an NBA 3-pointer.
4) JJ should sit down when he jacks up bad shots. He took a stop-and-pop 3 in the 1st half as he dribbled down ahead of his teammates and I don't think any of our guys had even crossed half court yet when he let it fly.
5) Corey sat down early in the 2nd half because he made 2 or 3 consecutive selfish drives to the hoop. It is the kind of coaching I agree with. That coaching philosophy should apply to ALL players, however. I did think his defensive effort improved in this game.
6) Prince plays with passion and defends and is a good help defender. He is the kind of guy we need right now and will continue to earn major minutes.
7) After Corey sat in the 2nd half, the unit out there played hard and played well for the next 12-15 minutes, only to make some mistakes and fade in the end. BA stopped subbing and let that unit run together. Each was contributing something. Chatman got hot after a miserable first half, McFolley made some steals, JJJ hustled and made some tough shots, Prince was flying all over the court. When Hogan got tired, Tariq came in and played really well. He is SO athletic and he can finish. Some on this board have accused BA of subbing at the wrong time (when a player is hot, when a unit is on a roll). Last night, he did NOT.
8) The final call against Chatman that sealed the loss was ridiculous. It happened right in front of me. He stepped in, stole the inbound pass and was shoved in the face and upper body by the tall gangly white dude. And of course the ref gives Chatman the foul as he stumbles away in pain. I know you have to take charge and not let the refs hurt you, but wow...
9) Isiah Jones hurt his knee in practice and might have an ACL tear. His career might be over. A great guy, a good representative of the University, a hard worker who gave us some inside presence and shot blocking. I will miss him.
10) Does anyone know why Jack B was in street clothes?
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:39 am

I'm sure some of the delusional fans here will blame the weather for the low turnout. But I'll point out that OU had 3,411 fans at the O'Rena last night. Game was at the same time. Anyone who watched from home and switched back and forth saw two VERY different environments. While the glare is still very bad on the blacktop, the seats are filled and you can hear the fans when watching the game on tv. It looks and sounds like a D1 basketball game when you watch on tv (at least until the camera pans up and you realize it's a D2 facility. But hell, I give OU credit for doing well with what they have). Then there's our game. Hardly anyone there. People lounging on bleachers, and many of them wearing UM clothing and staring at their cell phones (wouldn't be surprised if they're following the OU game on gamecast). When the camera pans up at Calihan you don't see the ceiling like at OU. No, you see an ocean of empty seats. The large empty box of a building turns into an instrument that echoes the most mundane sounds.
Remember when Detroit Mercy had a winning basketball program? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:48 am

Rogobob77 wrote:Official attendance: 561.

Rogo, that’s got to be a record for lowest attendance ever at a game. Do they count the players, coaches, and media? Cause that’s like 320 people which leaves only Moose, TMike, and the Titan Band in the stands!
The-Dude
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:56 am

Tac, not sure where you live, but if if it's in Southeast MI, I'd rather you help solve the problem of emptiness in Calihan than analyzing it at home by watching games on your computer. We will get fans when we start winning, which is obvious as the nose on my face (as my daughter likes to points out, my nose is very obvious). By the way: one of many reasons to be in Calihan last night was to listen to my daughter sing the Anthem. I know I'm biased but the people who come up to myself and Autumn after she sings and pass on positive comments about her talents is truly amazing. Even BA has told me she sings like an angel.

Note to Sam (Ray SR bashing alert): Ray SR once asked me face-to-face how can we get fans in the seats. I honestly didn't know how to respond. If you are a Div I coach and don't know the answer to that question, you are clearly not coaching at the right school. This is not Peoria IL where the thing to do on Saturday Night is to go to the Bradley Game. We have to make Calihan a DESTINATION again. Build a program. Start winning. Then start worrying about the attendance numbers.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:16 am

Uh, I live just outside South Bend. I'm not driving 3 hours in snow to see this show. If I wanted to take on the cold I'd go watch the Irish play. I suppose if the weather cleared up and the team played decent I'd drive to Detroit now and then. But unfortunately we are in a polar vortex weather wise and a Bacari vortex team wise.
Remember when Detroit Mercy had a winning basketball program? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby udballer » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:42 am

Tacitus651 wrote:But unfortunately we are in a polar vortex weather wise and a Bacari vortex team wise.

Too funny.

I'm pretty sure 90% of this board should be above criticism when it comes to attendance. It's pretty obvious that we are the few with passion for this team and if it were practical, we'd be at the games.

To be frank, our announced attendance was less than 600 people. How do you not bring that up? And for perspective, I brought nearly 1% of the total attendance to the game last night... in my wife's Chevy Trax.

I'm a bit upset that StJoeUofD doesn't show up to more home games. That would be one step closer to 600 people right there.
udballer
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:46 am

Tacitus651 wrote:I'm sure some of the delusional fans here will blame the weather for the low turnout. But I'll point out that OU had 3,411 fans at the O'Rena last night. Game was at the same time. Anyone who watched from home and switched back and forth saw two VERY different environments. While the glare is still very bad on the blacktop, the seats are filled and you can hear the fans when watching the game on tv. It looks and sounds like a D1 basketball game when you watch on tv (at least until the camera pans up and you realize it's a D2 facility. But hell, I give OU credit for doing well with what they have). Then there's our game. Hardly anyone there. People lounging on bleachers, and many of them wearing UM clothing and staring at their cell phones (wouldn't be surprised if they're following the OU game on gamecast). When the camera pans up at Calihan you don't see the ceiling like at OU. No, you see an ocean of empty seats. The large empty box of a building turns into an instrument that echoes the most mundane sounds.

Who cares about OU. Let worry about us and stop comparing us to them.
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:54 am

Yeah, comparing us to our conference foe twenty minutes away that we compete with for fans, recruits, media attention doesn't make any sense. Sorry.
Tacitus651
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball