Northern Kentucky Preview and Game Thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Northern Kentucky Preview and Game Thread

Postby Motor City Sam » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:06 am

Yeah, I know it's almost 6:00 AM, but I've got time to kill during this 16 hour shift, so I'm being productive. Besides, I'm going to sleep much of today, so time will be tight, plus I think the Commissioner is holding out for more money before he starts up again with the game previews and scoreboard updates. His last communication to me was a terse inbox message: "Talk to my agent".

Anyway...

Less than 48 hours after another disappointing loss, the Titans try again for a streak busting victory when we take on the Northern Kentucky Norse at Calihan Hall at 2:00 PM on Sunday. It's the second game of a four game home stand. It's also Tommy Titan's birthday. I kinda like Tommy. He's been taking pics with my nieces, nephews, and Goddaughters for a couple of decades now. They love him.

Like most of us, I expect, I wasn't that familiar with NKU before they joined the HL. Turns out they're a young program, but one with a rich hoop legacy in D2 before making the jump to D1. A little history:

NKU's basketball program began in 1971 when the school was known as Northern Kentucky State College. The Norse first made the NCAA D2 tournament in 1978, but things really started to pick up in 1995. From that year until 2012, the Norse made the tournament 12 times, reaching the championship game twice during that span. They also knocked off Michigan teams like Oakland, Ferris State, Grand Valley State, and Northern Michigan along the way. In 2012, the program made the jump to D1, joining the Atlantic Sun conference. In 2015-16, the Norse joined the HL, and last season they made the Big Dance for the first time. All in all, its been a very successful jump to D1 for NKU.

This season NKU is 10-5, 3-0, after knocking off Oakland at the Orena Friday night. 87-83. Other impressive performances for the Norse this season include an 18 point win over East Tennessee State (although they lost to ETSU in a rematch a month later), victories over James Madison and Iona, and close losses to Memphis and Texas A&M.

Probable Starters:
Jordan Garnett: 6-5 senior forward. 7 points and 2 rebounds per game. Solid three point shooter at 38% but only 57% from the free throw line.
Drew McDonald: 6-7, 250 junior forward. 17 points, 8 rebounds, 2 assists.
Carson Williams: 6-5, 230 sophomore forward. 14 points, 5 rebounds. 67% from the floor. Does his damage inside, only 8 three point attempts this season.
Jalen Tate: 6-5 red shirt freshman. 6 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists. From the fertile recruiting ground of Pickerington, Ohio.
Lavone Holland II: 6-1 senior guard. 14 points, 4 rebounds, 5 assists. Solid senior guard. Respectable 38% from three, 83% from the free throw line.

Key Reserves:
Jeff Garrett: 6-6, 220 junior forward. 6 points, 5 rebounds. Scored 11 points in seven minutes against Oakland.
Tyler Sharpe: 6-1 sophomore guard. 3 points.
Dantez Walton: 6-5 sophomore guard. 6 points, 3 rebounds.
Mason Faulkner: 6-1 sophomore guard. 6 points, 2 rebounds, 3 assists.

The Norse isn't a big team, but they shoot the ball well and move the ball well. NKU scores about 2.5 points less than the Titans, but they defend much better, giving up 64 points per game to Detroit's 90.

You can take all of the stuff I've said in recent previews about the Titans needing a win and underline it. Times are getting desperate, if they weren't already. NKU is making a case for best team in the conference and riding a three game winning streak, and looking to make it four. Detroit probably looks like easy pickings, so maybe the Titans will catch them off guard. If not, that losing streak hits 11 and things continue to snowball.

Go Titans.
Motor City Sam
Senior
 
Posts: 4818
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:25 pm
Location: Detroit, MI

Re: Northern Kentucky Preview and Game Thread

Postby The-Dude » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:51 am

Sam, I must say that your previews are superb.
The-Dude
Senior
 
Posts: 439
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:27 am

Re: Northern Kentucky Preview and Game Thread

Postby udballer » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:24 pm

The-Dude wrote:Sam, I must say that your previews are superb.


Seconded.

We really need tomorrow's game.
udballer
Senior
 
Posts: 1419
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Northern Kentucky Preview and Game Thread

Postby R.B.J1 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:29 pm

Excellent preview, NKU is going to beat us like we stole from them.
R.B.J1
Senior
 
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: Northern Kentucky Preview and Game Thread

Postby Titans96 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:45 pm

I agree we really need a W. It would be a wonderful W if we can get it tomorrow.

I would like to see the following game strategy tomorrow:

Chatman, Hogan and T Jones take 75% of the shots. Allen, McFolley and Prince take the balance of the shots. I want JJJr to take ZERO shots (unless he has a wide open layup) and just pass, pass, pass then pass some more. I want a pressure packed half court defense and slow the game down, minimize the fast breaks. Pound the hell out of the offensive and defensive boards.

This strategy can work, and it certainly can't hurt. It may generate a W.
Titans96
Senior
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:20 am

Re: Northern Kentucky Preview and Game Thread

Postby Commissioner » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:42 pm

Titans96 wrote:I agree we really need a W. It would be a wonderful W if we can get it tomorrow.

I would like to see the following game strategy tomorrow:

Chatman, Hogan and T Jones take 75% of the shots. Allen, McFolley and Prince take the balance of the shots. I want JJJr to take ZERO shots (unless he has a wide open layup) and just pass, pass, pass then pass some more. I want a pressure packed half court defense and slow the game down, minimize the fast breaks. Pound the hell out of the offensive and defensive boards.

This strategy can work, and it certainly can't hurt. It may generate a W.

Because it is always a good strategy to relegate the team's best pure shooter to a secondary role, and then to give the opposition a second guy they really don't have to defend at all since he's not allowed to shoot.

It's unfortunate that it has never occurred to the staff to try to play a "pressure packed" defense or to "pound the boards." This is almost certainly because JJ wants the team to fail, which will enhance both his and JJJ's marketability, and of course Vowels has backed him up and prohibited BA from considering strategies such as playing defense and aggressive rebounding. Vowels does this because he, too, understands that his career prospects will improve if the Titans lose more on his watch.

There is the possibility that execution, not strategy, is the real problem. But in the end it's probably neither-- rather, it's simply JJ' and JJJ's venality and sabotage that's the problem.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior
 
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: Northern Kentucky Preview and Game Thread

Postby Titans96 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:50 pm

First, opponents want JJJr to shoot (he’s at 32% from the field - by far the worst on the team except for Bass Ollie) so they don’t cover him anyway. The objective should be to not do what the opponent wants you to do, so he should just pass the damn ball.

Second, if you get the ball to your top 3 shooters they will score. The defense will be forced to collapse on the bigs and allow Allen to be open for uncontested 3’s.

As for defense, because we play JJJr so many minutes and add his poor defensive skills the opponent has an easy advantage over the Titans, so that is why we need McFolley to get more minutes, replacing JJJr, so greater defensive pressure can be applied.

Or, we can keep on doing what we have been doing.

By the way, we need to go 12-3 in our final games in order to achieve our “fine leader” Vowels stated goal for the Titans this year of being better than .500. How’s that looking if we keep playing with our current strategy?
Titans96
Senior
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:20 am

Re: Northern Kentucky Preview and Game Thread

Postby Motor City Sam » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:39 pm

udballer wrote:
The-Dude wrote:Sam, I must say that your previews are superb.


Seconded.

We really need tomorrow's game.


Thanks, fellas.

Yeah, we gotta stop the bleeding, UDB. Need to break this losing streak and hopefully start a winning streak. Both Cleveland State and YSU look to be tougher opponents than they appeared to be a couple of weeks ago; there is no guarantee we'd get a win in one of those games. Titans need to treat every game like an opportunity to right the ship. The NKU game won't be easy.
Motor City Sam
Senior
 
Posts: 4818
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:25 pm
Location: Detroit, MI

Re: Northern Kentucky Preview and Game Thread

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:44 pm

Vegas has DETMER 14 point dogs and the ESPN matchup predictor gives us a 13.7% chance of a victory.

Fortunately for us, BA knows THE SECRET.
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2063
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Northern Kentucky Preview and Game Thread

Postby Commissioner » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:18 pm

Titans96 wrote:First, opponents want JJJr to shoot (he’s at 32% from the field - by far the worst on the team except for Bass Ollie) so they don’t cover him anyway. The objective should be to not do what the opponent wants you to do, so he should just pass the damn ball.

Second, if you get the ball to your top 3 shooters they will score. The defense will be forced to collapse on the bigs and allow Allen to be open for uncontested 3’s.

As for defense, because we play JJJr so many minutes and add his poor defensive skills the opponent has an easy advantage over the Titans, so that is why we need McFolley to get more minutes, replacing JJJr, so greater defensive pressure can be applied.

Or, we can keep on doing what we have been doing.

By the way, we need to go 12-3 in our final games in order to achieve our “fine leader” Vowels stated goal for the Titans this year of being better than .500. How’s that looking if we keep playing with our current strategy?

I agree that JJJ is shooting too much and often too quickly. But you say he shouldn't shoot at all. That's stupid. The you tell me Allen will be open for uncontested 3s, which would be great except you said that Allen should be at most one of three secondary options, i.e. about 5 shots a game. That's stupid. And on defense, you suddenly tell me that JJJ isn't playing good defense. But I responding to your claim--which I gather you thought was pretty insightful--that we need to play "pressure packed defense" as a strategy to win. Well, duh, thank you Captain Obvious. I'm sure if Bacari would read your post he'd bop himself on the forehead and say, "why didn't I think of that? Play defense!"

But thanks for the brilliant insight.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior
 
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: Northern Kentucky Preview and Game Thread

Postby The-Dude » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:42 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:Excellent preview, NKU is going to beat us like we stole from them.


Mark these words.
The-Dude
Senior
 
Posts: 439
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:27 am

Re: Northern Kentucky Preview and Game Thread

Postby Titans96 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:18 pm

Well Commissioner, I actually disagree that JJJr not ever shooting is “stupid”. Rather it is really smart. Let’s put it this way, if JJJr was on any team (let’s say in the top 200 teams in the country) he would be benched for shooting 32%. He would NEVER see a second on the court except when the team was up by 30 points. Here in Titanland, this player gets 35 minutes a game. Let’s be real. I also said he could shoot if he had a clear layup.

In regards to Allen, I agree he is good. But he has been damaged by the coaching staff and needs to be rehabilitated. The coaching staff has relegated him to 2nd or 3rd best guard behind JJJr and Chatman. I think that has hurt him, because he is way better than JJJr and at least as good as Chatman. But his ego is damaged. That needs to be fixed. I’m not sure why he had the disciplinary issues, but wouldn’t be surprised if it was over the coaches handling of him and putting JJJr in front of him.

Also, you clearly have not watched JJJr play defense. He could be the worst defender on the team. Hence, I say drop his minutes and give them to McFolley. He knows how to play defense.

Then your “captain obvious” comment. What may seem obvious to everybody in the world is clearly not obvious to our coaching staff. Keep putting players in who at least try to play defense.

We have to change, and change quickly. Change is hard, but let’s follow BA’s motivational tweets and think outside the box. Our current process has us in last place in one of the worst leagues in the country. We can’t go lower, but we can go higher.
Titans96
Senior
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:20 am

Re: Northern Kentucky Preview and Game Thread

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:36 pm

Sam, you are the hardest working man in showbiz. In this case the show has been tough to watch lately. Nevertheless, like people in a dysfunctional relationship, we keep watching. And commenting. And posting.

I wish I had something interesting to post but after 10 straights losses, what can I say? Simply put, we need a win badly. The ship is sinking. And now we have the confident Northern Kentucky Norse coming to town on the heels of their splendid victory over the much disparaged Oakland Stoners on Friday. Last I checked, the line had narrowed to NKU -12. The over/under is a big 166. Last item first: take the over. Both teams score a lot but that's where the similarities end. NKU has won 3 straight; we've lost our last 10. Still, there's a glimmer of hope for Bacari's Kids. While the Norse are 10-5 overall, with 7 wins and 0 losses at home, they're 2-1 on neutral courts but only 1-4 on the road. That one victory was against the Ketamine Kids at the O'Rena Friday. The thinking here at the Moose Think Tank is that the they don't travel well and that gives me some hope. As does the fact that the opening line favored Northern Kentucky by 14 but has dropped to 12. Someone thinks Detroit will keep it close and put their money on the Titans. I think they will, too. You see, at some point we have to win a game. Why not on Sunday? Don't answer me because that is just a hypothetical question. I'm sure most of you will find plenty of reasons for the Titans to lose # 11. I am not among them. I consulted a psychic and she assures me that we will win. Of course that reminds me of a true story about the murder of a mother/daughter psychic team out in Los Angeles some years back. When I heard about it, I said, "You'da think they'd have seen that coming." But I'm dying for a win, drowning in losses and bad feelings, grasping at straws. So, the Official Moose Prediction (from the home office in Moose Town, Montana): Northern Kentucky Norse 84 Detroit-Mercy Titans 89. GO TITANS!!!
MooseGuy1
Senior
 
Posts: 3626
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Re: Northern Kentucky Preview and Game Thread

Postby Motor City Sam » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:08 pm

MooseGuy1 wrote:Sam, you are the hardest working man in showbiz. In this case the show has been tough to watch lately. Nevertheless, like people in a dysfunctional relationship, we keep watching. And commenting. And posting.

I wish I had something interesting to post but after 10 straights losses, what can I say? Simply put, we need a win badly. The ship is sinking. And now we have the confident Northern Kentucky Norse coming to town on the heels of their splendid victory over the much disparaged Oakland Stoners on Friday. Last I checked, the line had narrowed to NKU -12. The over/under is a big 166. Last item first: take the over. Both teams score a lot but that's where the similarities end. NKU has won 3 straight; we've lost our last 10. Still, there's a glimmer of hope for Bacari's Kids. While the Norse are 10-5 overall, with 7 wins and 0 losses at home, they're 2-1 on neutral courts but only 1-4 on the road. That one victory was against the Ketamine Kids at the O'Rena Friday. The thinking here at the Moose Think Tank is that the they don't travel well and that gives me some hope. As does the fact that the opening line favored Northern Kentucky by 14 but has dropped to 12. Someone thinks Detroit will keep it close and put their money on the Titans. I think they will, too. You see, at some point we have to win a game. Why not on Sunday? Don't answer me because that is just a hypothetical question. I'm sure most of you will find plenty of reasons for the Titans to lose # 11. I am not among them. I consulted a psychic and she assures me that we will win. Of course that reminds me of a true story about the murder of a mother/daughter psychic team out in Los Angeles some years back. When I heard about it, I said, "You'da think they'd have seen that coming." But I'm dying for a win, drowning in losses and bad feelings, grasping at straws. So, the Official Moose Prediction (from the home office in Moose Town, Montana): Northern Kentucky Norse 84 Detroit-Mercy Titans 89. GO TITANS!!!


Yeah, Moose, 2017 kept me hopping all year and 2018 is beginning the same way. It's all positive, though.

Nice job coming up with the "travel" angle as support for a Titans win, Moose. You could be right.
Motor City Sam
Senior
 
Posts: 4818
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:25 pm
Location: Detroit, MI

Re: Northern Kentucky Preview and Game Thread

Postby Commissioner » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:09 am

Titans96 wrote:Well Commissioner, I actually disagree that JJJr not ever shooting is “stupid”. Rather it is really smart. Let’s put it this way, if JJJr was on any team (let’s say in the top 200 teams in the country) he would be benched for shooting 32%. He would NEVER see a second on the court except when the team was up by 30 points. Here in Titanland, this player gets 35 minutes a game. Let’s be real. I also said he could shoot if he had a clear layup.

In regards to Allen, I agree he is good. But he has been damaged by the coaching staff and needs to be rehabilitated. The coaching staff has relegated him to 2nd or 3rd best guard behind JJJr and Chatman. I think that has hurt him, because he is way better than JJJr and at least as good as Chatman. But his ego is damaged. That needs to be fixed. I’m not sure why he had the disciplinary issues, but wouldn’t be surprised if it was over the coaches handling of him and putting JJJr in front of him.

Also, you clearly have not watched JJJr play defense. He could be the worst defender on the team. Hence, I say drop his minutes and give them to McFolley. He knows how to play defense.

Then your “captain obvious” comment. What may seem obvious to everybody in the world is clearly not obvious to our coaching staff. Keep putting players in who at least try to play defense.

We have to change, and change quickly. Change is hard, but let’s follow BA’s motivational tweets and think outside the box. Our current process has us in last place in one of the worst leagues in the country. We can’t go lower, but we can go higher.


Ooh, yeah. Let's "try to play defense." That's "thinking outside the box." Look, I think we are a very poorly coached team. But I don't think it's because it hasn't occurred to the staff to ask the kids to "play defense" and "crash the boards." You seem to think that advice is pretty deep wisdom, though.

Meanwhile, your first argument was don't let JJJ shoot. Now it is "bench him." Those are two very different strategies. Basically, if a guy isn't allowed to shoot--and that is what you advocated and advocate again above--than in fact you shouldn't play him. But that's stupid, too, because while we might agree that JJJ's minutes should be reduced, he's gonna play, and he's gonna play because he is one of our better players. Really? You really think JJJ wouldn't play anything but garbage minutes on any of the top 200 teams in the country? Seriously? That's your position? And you want us to take you seriously?

As PCT has noted regularly, he has far fewer turnovers and a much better assist/turnover ratio than our other guards. And if shooting is what should bench JJJ, why go with Josh, whose three point percentage is even worse than JJJ's. Where Josh has been superior is on layups, but that's what you want JJJ, not Josh, to focus on.

Meanwhile, you admit that Corey Allen is good--better than JJJ and Chatman-- but apparently we shouldn't really use him now because he "needs to be rehabilitated." Right. Nothing like sitting on the bench and being taken out of the offense--the latter was your clear suggestion--to rehab a guy and restore his confidence.

I think somewhere in that ball of hate and anger that constitutes your brain is some pretty good basketball knowledge, but you can't bring it to bear because you're so full of rage that JJ stole your girl back in '96. I'm sorry that happened, and also sorry that you didn't get the Mt. Clemens coaching job a few years back, but let it go.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior
 
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: Northern Kentucky Preview and Game Thread

Postby Titans96 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:09 am

Commissioner, sorry you are so upset. Not trying to upset you, but you are clearly frustrated by this team and don’t like my comments because they are true. Which is painful to all of us.

I don’t have an answer to our defensive issues, but clearly the current process isn’t working. Time for a change. I’m sure we all agree. Something different needs to happen, and my business approach is to go after the basics and fundamentals. Once we address those issues, our defense will be better. But playing our worst defender more minutes than anyone, does not lead to a strong or good defense. I’m sure you must agree with that fact.

In regards to our point guard, my basic point is to dramatically limit JJJr’s minutes. He is not good, admit it. We were better last year without him. Why play someone 35 minutes when he shoots 32% on every shot he takes (and he takes plenty of shots)? Tell me how this team will ever win this year or the following 3 years when JJJr is our leader? I’m sick thinking about it. Do you really think he would see any time if he was on Michigan’s team? Not a chance in hell. He wouldn’t see time on TCU, Pittsburgh, Oakland or even Green Bay. Just admit it.

In regards to Allen, let’s just agree that he is good and needs to get back his mojo. His public demotion by the coaching staff was the real stupid action, and somehow we have to get him back into the team mentality and get him comfortable playing like he did last year. Also, I never said not to use Allen. I want him to play more. I just don’t want him jacking up shots like JJJr does. He needs to take smart and strategic shots to get his mojo back.

And finally, stop the stupid argument that JJSr stole my girl. Not sure where that came from. Two years from now when we have a new head coach, new AD, JJSr is gone and we have new leadership and the makings of a real program, you will understand what damage JJSr and Vowels have done to this program over the past 3 years.

Commissioner, how many wins do you expect the Titans to have in the remaining games? When will you admit dramatic changes need to happen now? How long can this program survive being a 250-351 ranked team? Sorry, but I need a drink or two just thinking about it.
Titans96
Senior
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:20 am

Re: Northern Kentucky Preview and Game Thread

Postby Motor City Sam » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:03 pm

Change in my work schedule means I can make the game today! Go Titans!
Motor City Sam
Senior
 
Posts: 4818
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:25 pm
Location: Detroit, MI

Re: Northern Kentucky Preview and Game Thread

Postby HSScout1 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:42 pm

No Kam Chatman this afternoon due to injury. Cole Long will start in his place.
HSScout1
Senior
 
Posts: 465
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:16 pm

Re: Northern Kentucky Preview and Game Thread

Postby Rogobob77 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:50 pm

Smaller crowd than Friday.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 2862
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Northern Kentucky Preview and Game Thread

Postby udballer » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:08 pm

8 minutes in and a bad start for JJJ. Good to see the coaches are going to have him play through it. Hate to see him miss a minute of game time.
udballer
Senior
 
Posts: 1419
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:56 pm

Next

Return to Men's Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 13 guests