Poll: Greatest Titan Coach

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Who was the Titans' Greatest Basketball Coach

Lloyd Brazil
No votes
Ricky Byrdsong
No votes
Bob Calihan
14%
Royal Campbell
5%
Smokey Gaines
9%
Jim Harding
No votes
Ray McCallum
18%
Dick Vitale
32%
Perry Watson
23%
Other (specify in comments)
No votes

Total votes : 22

Re: Poll: Greatest Titan Coach

Postby MooseGuy1 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:36 pm

JimmyChitwood wrote:
MooseGuy1 wrote:For his time, Gaines was outstanding. I would expect most teams to have a significant fall off after a coaching change, with player defections, a new style and system, etc. Especially after a guy like Vitale.

Smokey was lucky to inherit a very good team. Coaching under Vitale the Smokey years were sort of a continuation of the Vital "era." It would have been interesting to see how the team would have been had he not sought the sun of SoCal.

As a young teen at the time, I liked Gaines because he, like BA, was a Globetrotter, although I think Gaines played while BA was a promo man. I see Smokey is not the AD for Memphis City Schools.

Perhaps so, Jimmy. But I'm not changing my vote despite heavy lobbying. He did indeed inherit a lot of talent but they had to be reeling a bit when DV sought the sun of Pontiac. Gaines obviously held it together and, as you say, continued the Vitale Era which seems to be the gold standard around here. I'm sticking with Smokey and will make sure there's a little bonus in an unmarked envelope for anyone who comes to see the light and votes for Gaines. ;)
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:38 pm

Commissioner wrote:
MooseGuy1 wrote: By the way, who did you vote for?

Jim Harding, of course.

Naturally. Why am I not surprised? Good choice, though. I can understand your reasoning.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:40 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I was one of the 3 votes for Ray. Great athletic teams, NCAA and NIT appearances. Pure class all around. I recognize that other coaches did "more" as far as winning percentage and maybe had "signature wins" but Ray was handicapped by coaching a struggling program with internal athletic department scandals that would have sent most men packing. Also, recruited good kids (exception of an initial incident with Holman and the Paris Bass saga) and saw most of them earn college degrees in an era when fewer MBB athletes do. I see Vitale is winning the poll, and I respect his success. I wasn't alive when he coached but my analysis after reading about him suggests he was a complete opportunist. He coached 4 years and left for the Pistons when they offered $100,000 and a new car. All of us are opportunists to a degree and all of us sometimes need to take what seems like a golden opportunity, but something about him being the best coach just bothers me.

I guess I respect Watson, but he robbed me of enjoyable basketball when I was a student from 2005-2008. Not very much fun to watch.

People look back fondly on what they can actually remember. That's why virtually no one will tell you Rogers Hornsby was the greatest baseball player of all time. I loved watching Ray's teams play. I remember the home game winning streak and watching the players tape the pieces of paper on the wall after each win. I remember going to games at Loyola and UIC and meeting a ton of other alumni. It was a really special time. Perhaps there were better times but I'm too young to have experienced.

I almost chose Ray but I have to live in this community. You're safe in South Bend.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby udballer » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:01 pm

NC Titan wrote:A team with equal roles for Ray and Minnerath and Holman and Bruinsma should have totally dominated

You lost me at Bruinsma. Other than that I don't disagree too much. ;)

Bruinsma took 2.5 years to adjust to the college game. As a senior, he was a nice player but he was never deserving of an equal role with any of those players. My opinion.
udballer
Senior

Postby titanmac » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:03 pm

cant comment on what i didnt see? by record calahan was the greatest. overall in my lifetime vitale was the greatest. st. perry was the best bench coach.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball