Bacari's Defensive Goals

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Bacari's Defensive Goals

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:11 pm

LOL. Held 2nd half FG to under 50%. Oh man, I'm crying because it's so ridiculous and I'm so sad. What happened to 40%!? Next thing we'll be told to cheer up if we hold OU to under 100 but only score 50 ourselves.
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:19 pm

And of course between the 8:04 mark and the 4:20 mark of the second half, we outscored 'em 16-0. Just gotta find that consistency!! (I'm not sure what emoji should go here: laughing? sighing? frowning?
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:24 pm

Commissioner wrote:And of course between the 8:04 mark and the 4:20 mark of the second half, we outscored 'em 16-0. Just gotta find that consistency!! (I'm not sure what emoji should go here: laughing? sighing? frowning?

Pffft. I just hope the committee notices nuanced moments like that when it comes time to vote for HL coach of the year.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:28 pm

The university should add this feat to his official bio on the website:
* Coached in historic game at IUPUI where the Titans held Jaguars to 49% FG shooting in second half.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:45 pm

OU shot 56% in the first half but I'm optimistic we can hold them to under 50% in the second half for a moral victory.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:57 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:OU shot 56% in the first half but I'm optimistic we can hold them to under 50% in the second half for a moral victory.

And we outscored 'em 6-2 in the first 1:10. Just gotta build on that!!
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby udballer » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:56 pm

Game 4: Oakland (Home)

Entering the game, OU was shooting: .457 FG%, .374 3FG%. They were averaging 81.3 points and 13.9 turnovers per game.

vs. Detroit Mercy

FG% - 50.8%
3FG% - 42.3%
Points - 92
Turnovers - 12
udballer
Senior

Postby udballer » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:29 pm

We held OU to 44.8% from the field and only 40% from deep in the second half. If we could somehow get the NCAA to change the structure of Men's basketball to 20 minutes of pre-game scrimmage followed by a 20 minute game... we would be noticeably better defensively. We still wouldn't meet our defensive goals, but our numbers wouldn't be nearly as embarrassing.
udballer
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:29 pm

udballer wrote:We held OU to 44.8% from the field and only 40% from deep in the second half. If we could somehow get the NCAA to change the structure of Men's basketball to 20 minutes of pre-game scrimmage followed by a 20 minute game... we would be noticeably better defensively. We still wouldn't meet our defensive goals, but our numbers wouldn't be nearly as embarrassing.

The problem with that plan is you're only considering the last two games. What about nearly every other game this season where we imploded the last 12 minutes of play? I think if we write the NCAA about anything it's about reclassifying division status. Unless Garibaldi starts making good decisions.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:52 pm

udballer wrote:We held OU to 44.8% from the field and only 40% from deep in the second half. If we could somehow get the NCAA to change the structure of Men's basketball to 20 minutes of pre-game scrimmage followed by a 20 minute game... we would be noticeably better defensively. We still wouldn't meet our defensive goals, but our numbers wouldn't be nearly as embarrassing.

Not as embarrassing as Oakland's numbers were in the second half. We shot 67% in the 2nd half and 52% for the game - hardly a ringing endorsement of the assist-stuffing, Kampe-coached, Nunn-ball.

Yes, since the losses of Hogan and T. Jones to grades, the Titans have not come close to meeting Bacari's defensive goals and have not held opponents under 50% shooting in 6 of the 8 halves played since the loss of those two players.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby udballer » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:04 pm

ptctitan wrote:

Not as embarrassing as Oakland's numbers were in the second half. We shot 67% in the 2nd half and 52% for the game - hardly a ringing endorsement of the assist-stuffing, Kampe-coached, Nunn-ball.

Yes, since the losses of Hogan and T. Jones to grades, the Titans have not come close to meeting Bacari's defensive goals and have not held opponents under 50% shooting in 6 of the 8 halves played since the loss of those two players.

The crazy part is that Jaleel and Tariiq aren't all that great defensively. The fact that you keep bringing it up like IF we had them we'd be performing noticeably better is staggering to me. A defensive system is exactly that, a system. It doesn't rely on specific players to execute. It's been nearly two years which is plenty of time to put a system in place.
udballer
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:02 am

Hogan is (was) an offensive force but never a strong defender. He's short and he's not a leaper. He didn't even lead the team in rebounds last year, and I don't think he led in blocks either.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:48 am

udballer wrote:
ptctitan wrote:
udballer wrote:The crazy part is that Jaleel and Tariiq aren't all that great defensively. The fact that you keep bringing it up like IF we had them we'd be performing noticeably better is staggering to me. A defensive system is exactly that, a system. It doesn't rely on specific players to execute. It's been nearly two years which is plenty of time to put a system in place.

Because the results as measured by these defensive goals were much better when they played as opposed to now when they are not playing. Hogan was our most experienced player and was frequently cited by both Bacari and JJ as the floor leader of this team. Do you think that ND's offense is as good without Bonzie Colson? Or are you saying that Ballantyne, Black, Blackshear, and Long are as good as Hogan. If the system matters more than the personnel, then why does it matter that JJJr starts and plays more minutes than McFolley?

NC Titan wrote:Hogan is (was) an offensive force but never a strong defender. He's short and he's not a leaper. He didn't even lead the team in rebounds last year, and I don't think he led in blocks either.

But this year, we rebounded better as a team and opponents made less shots when he played than when his replacements play now. As I said, the absence of Hogan and T. Jones requires us to replace 18 points and 8 rebounds per game. We have apparently learned to replace the points, but not the rebounds. And the defensive stats have suffered.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby udballer » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:40 am

ptctitan wrote:
But this year, we rebounded better as a team and opponents made less shots when he played than when his replacements play now. As I said, the absence of Hogan and T. Jones requires us to replace 18 points and 8 rebounds per game. We have apparently learned to replace the points, but not the rebounds. And the defensive stats have suffered.

...and as I said, if we can't replace Tariiq and Jaleel on the defensive side of the ball without giving up 50+% from the field and 80+ points per game... that is entirely on the coaching staff.
udballer
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:55 am

udballer wrote:...and as I said, if we can't replace Tariiq and Jaleel on the defensive side of the ball without giving up 50+% from the field and 80+ points per game... that is entirely on the coaching staff.

And you think that should occur immediately and seamlessly?
ptctitan
Senior

Postby udballer » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:24 pm

ptctitan wrote:
udballer wrote:...and as I said, if we can't replace Tariiq and Jaleel on the defensive side of the ball without giving up 50+% from the field and 80+ points per game... that is entirely on the coaching staff.

And you think that should occur immediately and seamlessly?

Two years in? If you've been putting an effective system in place? And you need to replace an undersized / overweight center? Absolutely it should be immediate and seamless. In fact, backfilling for those two should probably be an upgrade at this point as they see the floor primarily based on their offensive abilities.

I'd say that Blackshear and Long, for example, are better than those two on the defensive side of the ball without blinking an eye.

Truth of the matter is that there was no plan in place for defense from the jump. That is why since BA arrived we have played poor man-on-man defense mixed with some ridiculousness known as "chaos". That is also why our top assistant has made comparisons to Loyola Marymount when we give up 109 points to Houston Baptist.
udballer
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:20 pm

Entering the game, Wright State was shooting: .437 FG%, .348 3FG%. They were averaging 71.4 points (on the strength of the last time they played us) and 14.2 turnovers per game.

vs. Detroit Mercy

FG% - 56.1%
3FG% - 36.4%
Points - 87
Turnovers - 11

Based on that highlighted FG% from deep, I've gotta admit that it looks like it's all coming together. This group of defenders is certainly getting used to playing as a unit. :shock:
udballer
Senior

Postby udballer » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:53 pm

Tough to figure out if the defense is improving these past 2 games or if the improvement stems from the fact that we're losing so badly that we are facing more backups. Just something to ponder. Regardless, this was our best defensive performance since this thread began... though none of the stated goals were met.

Game 6: Northern Kentucky (Road)

Entering the game, Northern Kentucky was shooting: .482 FG%, .341 3FG%. They were averaging 79.6 and 11.9 turnovers per game.

vs. Detroit Mercy

FG% - 45.8%
3FG% - 36.7%
Points - 72
Turnovers - 17

Go, Titans!
udballer
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:00 pm

In all honesty, there was only a 3% chance of winning this game, and after NKU took it on the chin versus OU on Friday it is somewhat amazing that the Titans kept the differential under 30. With that in mind, the defensive effort was better than past games and it showed. However, NKU is a good team, who really moves the ball on offense, and their defense is strong. The coaches should just show videos of NKU's defense to the team and try to have the team copy them.

One obvious problem is that we only have two guys who rebound, Chatman and Prince. If our coaches don't force Ballantyne and Eichler to stop shooting and start pounding the boards, we should not play them. They aren't good shooters, yet they think they are. They need to use their size and rebound the damn ball and never shoot anything but a layup. I would be fine never seeing any of those two shooting a 3 again. As a matter of fact, most of the team should not shoot 3 point shots. We are not that good shooting 3's and at 20%-30% clip for 3 point shooting, it is basically a turnover when they shoot.

Our coaches are clueless. They can't coach, they don't understand the game and its dynamics, and they certainly do not believe that defense wins games and helps generate positive offense. I heard an interview of the UofD High coach (he get's it and has a very strong program to show for it) and he said "We pride ourselves on our defense. Defense wins games and defense creates offense. We demand that our players play strong defense." Why can't our coaches have that philosophy?

Hopefully the Administration is just as frustrated as most on this Board. Time for the AD and entire coaching staff to be given their walking papers. This train is heading off a cliff, and another season is not going to change the results.
Titans96
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:27 pm

PTC, you are the best of the best that I have ever seen, at polishing a turd...
The-Dude
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball