Cleveland State Preview and Game Thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Cleveland State Preview and Game Thread

Postby Motor City Sam » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:32 am

Next up for the Titans in their quest to stop the current losing streak is familiar foe Cleveland State.  The Titans meet the Vikings at Calihan Hall on Wednesday, January 10, at 7:00 PM.  ESPN3,  WADL 38, and 910 AM have the coverage.  Note:  On the TV side, I really enjoy the duo of Dan Dickerson and Earl the Twirl.   They add a lot to the viewing experience. 

Cleveland State is one of my favorite HL teams.  I've got family in Cleveland and have spent lots of time there over the years.  I've made the road trip for Titan away games and conference tourney games in Cleveland in years past.  A relative played for Gary Waters.  Two of my favorite college players from my high school years were Vikings:  Franklin Edwards and Mouse McFadden.  Edwards was one of the best college scorers of his time and had an NBA career.  The 80s version of the Vikings coached by Kevin Mackey made some great memories, including a Sweet Sixteen appearance in 1986.  Cleveland State's basketball program dates back to it's days as the Fenn College Foxes.  In 1965, Fenn College became Cleveland State U, and in 1972 the program moved to Division 1.  

This season Cleveland State is 4-12 in season one of the Dennis Felton era.  CSU has probably played their best ball of the year over the past three games.  After being crushed by Michigan State by 50 points, the Vikings lost to Youngstown State by 3, beat Green Bay by 1, and lost to Milwaukee by four.  All three of those games were at home; Wednesday is CSU's first conference road game.  The Vikings have a Detroit flavor, and could have a good cheering section at Calihan. In total, four Vikings hail from Michigan. 

Probable Starters:
Anthony Wright.  6-7, 200 senior forward.  8 points, 6 rebounds per game.
Jamarcus Hairston.  6-8, 230 senior forward.  4 points, 3 rebounds.
Tyree Appleby. 6-1 freshman guard.  11 points, 3 assists. 
Bobby Word.  6-4 senior guard.  11 points, 3 rebounds.
Kenny Carpenter.  6-5 senior guard.  14 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists.  Detroiter is really stepping up his game as a senior. 

Key Reserves:
Evan Clayborne.  6-8, 240 sophomore forward.  3 points, 2 rebounds, 1 block per game. 
Stefan Kenic.   6-9, 220 freshman forward.  8 points, 3 rebounds.  
Dontel Highsmith.  6-2 junior guard.  6 points, 3 rebounds, 1 steal.  Dowagiac, Michigan native is a transfer from Northern Illinois. 
Kasheem Thomas.  6-0 sophomore guard.  6 points, 2 assists, 2 rebounds.  

This is the first game in while you could say the Titans should be expected to win.  Vegas has them four point favorites.  Detroit needs a winnable game, with the losing streak at 11 games.  The Vikings, in year one of a true rebuild, don't do anything particularly well.  Detroit is likely to be without Kam Chatman, but all things considered the Titans are the favorite for the reason.  We'll see how it goes. 

Go Titans.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Re: Cleveland State Preview and Game Thread

Postby Motor City Sam » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:34 am

Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:07 am

Great preview Mcsam,hoping none of the Detroit guys have career scoring nights against us.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby udballer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:39 am

R.B.J1 wrote:Great preview Mcsam,hoping none of the Detroit guys have career scoring nights against us.

I can't believe you had the nerve to post that, RBJ! You jinxed us! Brace yourself and get ready to watch Kenny Carpenter hit 8 triples tonight. :D
udballer
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:55 am

That crazy branding decision to change the school name to Cleveland State back in the 1960s caused mass confusion. To this day, I frequently slip up and refer to the institution as Fenn College.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:22 am

We are listed as a 3 1/2 point favorite tonight, so we are supposed to win this game. Our 11 game losing streak is now the 4th longest in the nation, so this a great chance to break the streak. That being said, I've seen Cleveland St play this year in person and they have some talent and appear to be well coached. I see them as a team on the rise in future years. We will have to play well to win. I might be crazy, but I'm looking forward to this one.
HSScout1
Senior

Postby udballer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:32 am

Rogobob77 wrote:That crazy branding decision to change the school name to Cleveland State back in the 1960s caused mass confusion. To this day, I frequently slip up and refer to the institution as Fenn College.

:lol:
udballer
Senior

Postby udballer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:34 am

HSScout1 wrote:We are listed as a 3 1/2 point favorite tonight, so we are supposed to win this game. Our 11 game losing streak is now the 4th longest in the nation, so this a great chance to break the streak. That being said, I've seen Cleveland St play this year in person and they have some talent and appear to be well coached. I see them as a team on the rise in future years. We will have to play well to win. I might be crazy, but I'm looking forward to this one.

Let's see how much talent you think they have after we hold them to 49 points, while shooting 36% and 12% from deep. Prepare to witness the BA hat-trick! ;)
udballer
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:47 am

I agree with R.B. here, Sam. You did a great job on this preview. The Fenn College Foxes nugget is positively Commissioner-esque. I had little, if any, knowledge of Cleveland St. prior to their '86 NCAA win over Indiana. That's likely because we weren't playing down at their level in those days.

One other note: I agree that Dan Dickerson and The Twirl do a nice job on the TV broadcast. I think I'll record it and watch again when I get home. I'm told that Earl likes to show Book Boy up in the stands when he does home games. That's fun too.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:58 am

I still say we win tonight. But, yeah, we have to play. So far in HL play, CSU is 1-2. They only lost to YSU by 3. You might be sitting there and thinking "so what, YSU sucks." And you're right, except YSU is 3-0 in league play for what it's worth. CSU has a win over a Green Bay team that beat us by 12 and CSU lost by 4 against Milwaukee whereas we lost by 8 (CSU had home court, we did not).

The line is accurate even without Chatman. We need to play to win, can't make too many mistakes, and need to close out the game this time.
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:15 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:That crazy branding decision to change the school name to Cleveland State back in the 1960s caused mass confusion. To this day, I frequently slip up and refer to the institution as Fenn College.

I'm told there were those who wanted CleveFenn State, but they were outvoted. They would have gone by CFS, of course.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:20 pm

My Cleveland cousin, Stan Crawford, refuses to wear anything with Cleveland State on it and complains that there isn't enough Fenn College Alumni gear offered by the school. ;)
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:59 pm

JJJr. takes a 35 foot three pointer and guess what, he misses, and then gets beat off the bounce. When Jr. does things like this he needs to take a seat next to his daddy. :x
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:00 pm

Hogan not in uniform. Chatman out. T Jones not in uniform. Isaiah Jones injured. WTF?
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:07 pm

JJJr. is consistently being beat off the dribble so far.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby kirky313 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:29 pm

Jack's three off the play fake was as the kids say filthy.
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:30 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:Hogan not in uniform. Chatman out. T Jones not in uniform. Isaiah Jones injured. WTF?

On the pregame show Cliff Russell read a statement from the university that said Hogan and Jones would not be playing and privacy rules prevented the release of more information.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby udballer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:30 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:JJJr. is consistently being beat off the dribble so far.

If you mean "so far this year", I would agree and have said as much. In fact, I think he is leading the country in missed three pointers immediately followed by allowed three pointers.
udballer
Senior

Postby udballer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:40 pm

So far, our free throw defense is the only % up to BAs standards. Let's hope they tighten it up in the second half.
udballer
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:40 pm

Nice to see Eli Holman and Anton Wilson in the house tonight.

The fraternities and sororities steped up this evening and Section 313 is fairly full. But it looks like another poor crowd overall, maybe 500 folks.
Rogobob77
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball