Cleveland State Preview and Game Thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Cleveland State Preview and Game Thread

Postby udballer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:42 pm

Resurget Cineribus wrote:
udballer wrote:
Resurget Cineribus wrote:Yeah!! Can’t believe we did this to somebody!! Normally someone does this to us!!
A well coached play after a time out!!

What play? Inbound it to Corey? Okay, let's go with it... at least we got the win.

There was good player movement to get the ball to Corey at the beginning of the play.
He took over from there! He didn’t pass, he rolled with it. I believe the coaches drew up this
play.

Oh, God. I'm not in the mood to discuss another non-play in depth. Let's just agree that someone on the bench said "try to get the ball to Corey", and they did. From they're, it was a complete defensive breakdown and Corey took advantage. :)
udballer
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:46 pm

bctitans1987 wrote:What an embarrassment for Cleveland State. How do you lose to the worst team in D1? BUT - The Vikings covered and, well, that's...AWESOME! To that I say: Thank you Titans! You have won me over $2,000 this season with your lack of discipline, poor coaching and the SMD! There IS a silver-lining to the misery--as I've been able to donate my winning to a REAL Jesuit school.

That will be their last win of the season, so all you slappies can bask in the glory of your lonely conference victory.

Are you serious? Not allowing us to enjoy 1 stinkin’ win?
Does BC stand for Boston College? That rich kid, non-diverse preppy
school in Boston? Please.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:22 pm

That was an exciting win! Frustrating, but exciting. There was nothing pretty about the game, both teams were bad, but screw that, a win is a win.

Hopefully this game is sending a message to the brain trust that JJJr needs to stop shooting and come off the bench. His shooting kills the Titans and there can’t be anyone who thinks he is a good shooter. Add to that, his defense is just terrible. Total liability. Who shoots 30% from the field (22% tonight)? And his defense is also as bad.

On Friday I hope BA goes with Prince, Chatman, Allen, McFolley and Blackshear as the starters. Ballantine, Black, Long and JJJr off the bench. I would not give JJJr more than 20 minutes and if he shoots, only 10 minutes.

Plus, it does look like grade problems for Hogan and T Jones. Another problem we didn’t need. Who knows when or if they will be back in the lineup.

Let’s go for 2 in a row on Friday. Fingers crossed.
Titans96
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:23 pm

udballer wrote:
StJoeUofD wrote:The substitution pattern in the second half has been great. We actually have the 5 best players (for tonight) from the team on the floor with 5 minutes to go.

+1

If JJJ remains on the bench, I'll be impressed.

JJjr. only played 24 minutes tonight, its about time there were repercussions for his actions. Early in the game he dribbled up the court and took a 35 footer, missed it as usual and then proceeded to immediately get beat off the bounce and give up an easy basket. That was a 4 point swing, those points add up at the end and equal defeat. JJjr. will do something like this at least 3-4 times a game. I could understand it if he was a great shooter like Tony Tolbert, Rashad Phillips or Dez Ferguson but he isn't. The coaching staff needs to control JJjr., and I think we are starting to see coach Alexander do that.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:58 pm

It’s sad we’re still discussing JJJr so late in the season. This should have been dealt with after
2 games. If I were Bacari I would put him at the end of the bench and play Black, McFolley,
and Allen at the point. Hard to believe that Prince had to wait so long to get this kind of playing
time. He is one of our better players, always hustling, rebounding, making shots. He looked like
a very good recruit then nothing until the last few weeks.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:36 am

bctitans1987 wrote:What an embarrassment for Cleveland State. How do you lose to the worst team in D1? BUT - The Vikings covered and, well, that's...AWESOME! To that I say: Thank you Titans! You have won me over $2,000 this season with your lack of discipline, poor coaching and the SMD! There IS a silver-lining to the misery--as I've been able to donate my winning to a REAL Jesuit school.

That will be their last win of the season, so all you slappies can bask in the glory of your lonely conference victory.

What is the point of this post? I mean that seriously. Why did you post this? Do you think we don't know from your previous posts what you think about the Titans? Have you not told us before how your precious millions (or is that the occasional $50) aren't going to UD? Did you think people didn't want to have a couple minutes just to appreciate, finally, a Titan win? Were you afraid we'd start booking our tickets to the Final Four and wanted to save us money? I really don't get it.

Very seriously, what compelled you to post this?
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:57 am

“I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.” ~ Alan Watts

Enjoy the moment BC! To help you emerge from the sorrow brought by the Titan victory, I’ll send you my game ticket stub so you can treat yourself to a free Buddy’s pizza!
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:56 am

Rogo - didn't know you were a hippie. Alan Watts - what a blast from the past.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:19 am

StJoeUofD wrote:Don't let Word get his hands on the ball after we shoot the next free throws that we will probably get ---- PLEASE!

I got props for my line of the night from Eli Holman. Second half, Word gets a foul. I shouted ," Word to your mother, bad foul".
titanmike
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:32 am

Nice win. Exciting finish. The Titans deserved that one. Nice to see us on the right side of a buzzer beater. Obviously CSU was not expecting him to take it all the way and nobody tried to get in front of him. I doubt that was the play but smart move by Allen, with .3 seconds to spare. Much better than a half court heave.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:06 am

Better to win ugly than lose while meeting defensive goals. Nice to see Corey break out of his shooting slump. And some other guys step up.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:10 am

Great win for the boys last night! Now it's time to start a winning streak. Both teams didn't play very good. It was a sloppy game with tons of turnovers and whistles for a variety of violations (some of which you almost never see called), but what could you expect for a couple of 4 wins teams. We had just enough at the end and a win is a win, so I'll take it.
As for the last play, I think there must of been some divine intervention because it sure looked like the parting of the (green) sea (on defense).
HSScout1
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:17 am

Given that we did not have Kam and Hogan, it was a gutty win. Blackshear and Ballantyne stepped up for us. And Price continued his leadership with his strong play. 19 assists on 30 baskets. That was good to see.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

MooseGuy1 wrote:How the hell is this happening?! Even without Jaleel and Kam, we should still kick their asses. They aren't that good. I'm beyond aggravated.

Remember last year during the Milwaukee game at Calihan when I described the game as "Two bad teams playing badly."? Last night I said the same thing to our friend Curt in the first half. Both teams made bad decisions on both ends of the court. Both teams forced three point shots at odd times. Both teams neglected a match up advantage they had (Prince for the Titans).

Having said all that, it was good for the Titans to get the win, to finally break that losing streak, and to give the fans something to cheer about. An ugly win is always better than a pretty loss. Thanks to Cleveland State for parting like the Red Sea and allowing Corey to have a lay up drill type shot at the basket before time expired. As the saying goes "Live by the uncontested lay up, die by the uncontested lay up."

I'm reminded of a Don Chaney quote after a particularly sloppy Pistons loss: "They tried to give us that game, but we said, that's all right, we don't want it."

On to the next one.

Edit: Scout beat me to the parting of the red sea metaphor. :)
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:45 am

Love the Titans W last night, but the RPI was not very impressed. Titans drop 5 spots to #275.

The Horizon League is a disaster (6 teams in the bottom 25% of D1):
#92 WSU
#120 NKU
#146 OU
#222 MWI
#271 EIEIO
#275 TITANS
#290 UIC
#293 YSU
#339 CSU
#342 WGB

#351 Last Place D1 = Cal St Nrdge
Titans96
Senior

Postby udballer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:37 am

ptctitan wrote:Better to win ugly than lose while meeting defensive goals. Nice to see Corey break out of his shooting slump. And some other guys step up.

Speaking of, do you plan to update the defensive goals thread soon so we can begin measuring the coaching progress with actual statistics? I think it will be a valuable thread at the end of the year for performing trend analysis.

Also, as a suggestion, it would be beneficial to include the opponents overall FG%, PPG, etc at the time of the game for additional perspective. I heard the announcers last night state that Cleveland State was a poor shooting team and only shooting 40% coming into the game, which made me think of that.

Thanks!
udballer
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:44 am

udballer wrote: I heard the announcers last night state that Cleveland State was a poor shooting team and only shooting 40% coming into the game

Coming into the game, the Vikings were shooting 43.4% for the season and 31.5% from three. Yesterday they shot 55.1% and 45.2% from three.
HSScout1
Senior

Postby udballer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:46 am

HSScout1 wrote:
udballer wrote: I heard the announcers last night state that Cleveland State was a poor shooting team and only shooting 40% coming into the game

Coming into the game, the Vikings were shooting 43.4% for the season and 31.5% from three. Yesterday they shot 55.1% and 45.2% from three.

Ok. Thx. I knew our performance wasn't stellar... but those numbers are higher than what I was thinking they ended up. At half-time they were around 50% and 40%... and they started the second half pretty cold. They really picked it up down the stretch.
udballer
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:57 am

udballer wrote:
HSScout1 wrote:

Ok. Thx. I knew our performance wasn't stellar... but those numbers are higher than what I was thinking they ended up. At half-time they were around 50% and 40%... and they started the second half pretty cold. They really picked it up down the stretch.

Typo on my part (that makes it slightly worse) - they shot 55.4%, not 55.1% last night
HSScout1
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:43 pm

Ray would have won this game by 50 pts. :P
JimmyChitwood
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball