Youngstown State Preview and Game Thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Youngstown State Preview and Game Thread

Postby ptctitan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:13 am

Also from the NCAA

What are the Division I grade-point average requirements to remain eligible?

Student-athletes must achieve 90 percent of the institution’s minimum overall grade-point average necessary to graduate (for example, 1.8) by the beginning of year two, 95 percent of the minimum GPA (1.9) by year three and 100 percent (2.0) by year four.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby udballer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:37 pm

ptctitan wrote:With the exception of the games against Va Tech, Seattle, UCLA and Michigan, this year's team has shown a lot of mental toughness and a refusal to quit in face of adversity. We have lost to injury and grades 4 components of our game rotation, Chatman, Hogan, I. Jones, and T.Jones. The remaining guys do not quit. And, now, they are learning how to finish and win without these four other players.

How do you think Oakland would fare if they lost Hayes, Nunn, Brock, and Daniels at the same time? How do you think NKU would fare if they lost McDonald, Holland, and their 6th and 7th men at the same time? How would Wright State fare if they lost Loudon Love and Grant Benzinger for an extended time? Those scenarios are the type of adversity faced by our Titans.

It ain't pretty, but we have won two in a row playing 3 starters, Josh, and then #9-13 on our early season depth chart. That effort merits respect and hopefully sets the stage for better things not only this season but also in seasons to come.

Did you just compare Hayes, Nunn, Brock and Daniels to Chatman, Hogan, Tariiq and Isaiah Jones?

You have a point in stating that we've done well to sneak out a couple wins while missing key players. I just think you may be exaggerating the value of our guys a little bit there. Isaiah barely plays, so I dont see a suitable comparison from the Pioneer side in that one. Maybe Palombizio? Lol
udballer
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:47 pm

I talked to a former University Administrator after the game yesterday with no knowledge of the status of Jaleel or Tariq, but I asked him why they are still be allowed to sit on the bench and be with the team. His answer was that they may have an INCOMPLETE that could turn into a positive Letter Grade at some point in the near future. In other words, they both might be "on the fence" academically so they are allowed to be with the team because there is still hope that they may be able to do something to change their final first term grades for the better. This is not coming from someone with inside information on these two cases, but from someone who is familiar with the process from his days at U-D as an academic department head.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:44 pm

uofdfan1983 wrote:I talked to a former University Administrator after the game yesterday with no knowledge of the status of Jaleel or Tariq, but I asked him why they are still be allowed to sit on the bench and be with the team. His answer was that they may have an INCOMPLETE that could turn into a positive Letter Grade at some point in the near future. In other words, they both might be "on the fence" academically so they are allowed to be with the team because there is still hope that they may be able to do something to change their final first term grades for the better. This is not coming from someone with inside information on these two cases, but from someone who is familiar with the process from his days at U-D as an academic department head.

Tom I heard the same.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:42 pm

Resurget Cineribus wrote:
uofdfan1983 wrote:I talked to a former University Administrator after the game yesterday with no knowledge of the status of Jaleel or Tariq, but I asked him why they are still be allowed to sit on the bench and be with the team. His answer was that they may have an INCOMPLETE that could turn into a positive Letter Grade at some point in the near future. In other words, they both might be "on the fence" academically so they are allowed to be with the team because there is still hope that they may be able to do something to change their final first term grades for the better. This is not coming from someone with inside information on these two cases, but from someone who is familiar with the process from his days at U-D as an academic department head.

Tom I heard the same.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8fIs-f-jaZY
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:43 pm

JDetroitTitan wrote:
DetroitHoopsFan wrote:-"Splish splash, and he's taking a bath..." --- Can someone give D Leach a tape of the best Marv Albert calls? "Yes!!" Sometimes less is more in broadcasting. At least that's always been my though. I tend to just watch with volume turned way down when it is Leach doing the game. Something about his voice and delivery and repetitive word choice. He said the word "cohesion" like a half-dozen times in the first five minutes and I decided that was enough. Rant over. I don't have anything against the guy personally...just really don't think play-by-play is his strength.

I was hoping someone would drown that guy in the bathtub. I could not stand his announcing. That was the first home game I watch on the TV and I think the last. I will try harder to make it to the game next time.

Turn the volume off, Earl Cureton has good insight and has learned how to pronounce Bacari, but his baritone voice is very boring and puts me to sleep.
R.B.J1
Senior

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball