Youngstown State Preview and Game Thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Youngstown State Preview and Game Thread

Postby Commissioner » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:16 pm

Also missed front end of 2 1&1s.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:18 pm

Commissioner wrote:Also missed front end of 2 1&1s.

Make it 3.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:22 pm

Commissioner wrote:Also missed front end of 2 1&1s.

Not a good thing when FT shooting has been our one good area this year with a couple of notable exceptions.

I like (dare I say "appreciate") the game from JJ Jr. tonight.

We really can't lose to YSU at home if we are to have any chance in the tournament. YSU, though, may be a team that's getting better through the year. They had an RPI of 350 at one point this year. They don't look that bad and the press is killing us.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:45 pm

This is the first time I've seen the titans play unselfish and as a team this season. I wonder if we are witnessing addition by subtraction?
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:48 pm

Will somebody please guard Morse!
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:54 pm

2 in a row. We didn't cover but that does not matter to me. WE WIN!!! :D :D :D
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:56 pm

Phenomenal game by JJJ. I'm sure 96 will be here any second though saying he had no assists and it was just a pathetic win over YSU at home.
Remember when Detroit Mercy had a winning basketball program? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:01 pm

When was the last time we had a game where there were a combined 40 offensive rebounds and the two teams shot almost 50% from the floor?
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:03 pm

Happy to be on a 2 game winning streak. Seems that JJJ is scary good when he's on... we just need him to be "on" more consistently. Unfortunately, I spent most of the game refreshing the stat line and fixing my clothes dryer... so my take is severely limited. :)
udballer
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:15 pm

I think Corey gets a Horizon player of the week award. Actually, they'll probably give to Jalen Hayes, but it should go to Corey.

Nice game. Nice to see the Titans using Prince effectively. Yes, it's CSU and YSU at home, and we barely won both. Yes, we couldn't get many defensive stops in the final 8 minutes in either. But they're wins, without our leading scorer and with Tariiq and Jaleel gone. IUPUI on the road is a good chance to keep it up. But no pushover. They beat Green Bay tonight and are now 3-3 in Horizon.

BTW, Triple J missed tying Corey Allen's 1-year old Titan freshman single-game scoring mark by a point. His 32 points were the second most for a Titan freshman in history, passing 31 by John Long in 1975 and Ray McCallum in 2011. No assists, though, as already mentioned.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:26 pm

Official attendance: 1154.

It was a late arriving crowd, I’d say maybe 600 actual bodies in Calihan on this bone-chilling winter night.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:09 am

bctitans1987 wrote:What an embarrassment for Cleveland State. How do you lose to the worst team in D1? BUT - The Vikings covered and, well, that's...AWESOME! To that I say: Thank you Titans! You have won me over $2,000 this season with your lack of discipline, poor coaching and the SMD! There IS a silver-lining to the misery--as I've been able to donate my winning to a REAL Jesuit school. 

That will be their last win of the season, so all you slappies can bask in the glory of your lonely conference victory.

Good call bstitans1987! No argument this season has been a disaster but people like yourself have way too much vitrol and hate towards the school to be called a fan of it, big differnece between not being happy about the way of things or criticizing and what you are doing with this post. You seem to be rooting/promoting for your team and school to fail. You almost enjoy seeing these young student athletes struggling. I wish you luck sorry the school lost you, but at least move on, I am sure you can talk to the Jesuits at the so called real Jesuit school that you give money to about how to forgive and move past your hatred, some really good concepts in the book and religion those Jesuits are associated with that the not real Jesuits at Detroit Mercy taught me about. Win draw or lose those young people left it all on the table and won 2 days ago and today, no matter how much i disagree with a coach i would want my Titans to win! I think what you did was to try to take something away from the fans on this board and from the student athletes with your post to make yourself feel better and take away something from a win that ended a brutal stretch. Good luck and God bless, I hope you can achieve some inner peace and forgive!

On a positive note my mom and her husband came in from Staten Island New York to watch this game and she loved the hussle from the Titans! There was a dance promo for students and it was good to see a good student presence! This slappy is basking in a consecutive conference win for a Titan team missing many key pieces! Hope we can make it 3 in a row!
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:38 am

^ Truth. AMDG.
Remember when Detroit Mercy had a winning basketball program? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby DetroitHoopsFan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:59 am

-Prince has been a major difference-maker of late. Hope that his time is not cut into too dramatically when some version of Chatman and/or Hogan returns to the lineup.

-More Ballantyne, less Cole Long. I appreciate Long's effort, but Ballantyne appears to be a far more skilled player on the offensive end.

-"Splish splash, and he's taking a bath..." --- Can someone give D Leach a tape of the best Marv Albert calls? "Yes!!" Sometimes less is more in broadcasting. At least that's always been my though. I tend to just watch with volume turned way down when it is Leach doing the game. Something about his voice and delivery and repetitive word choice. He said the word "cohesion" like a half-dozen times in the first five minutes and I decided that was enough. Rant over. I don't have anything against the guy personally...just really don't think play-by-play is his strength.

-I think Bacari has found a nice guard minutes rotation with Josh right around 20 or so minutes a game. His shot selection and ball stopping nature make 30-35 minutes seem way too heavy. Like him at 18-20 so much more.
DetroitHoopsFan
Junior

Postby udballer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:39 am

DetroitHoopsFan wrote:-I think Bacari has found a nice guard minutes rotation with Josh right around 20 or so minutes a game. His shot selection and ball stopping nature make 30-35 minutes seem way too heavy. Like him at 18-20 so much more.

I couldn't possibly disagree more...
udballer
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:45 am

DetroitHoopsFan wrote:-"Splish splash, and he's taking a bath..." --- Can someone give D Leach a tape of the best Marv Albert calls? "Yes!!" Sometimes less is more in broadcasting. At least that's always been my though. I tend to just watch with volume turned way down when it is Leach doing the game. Something about his voice and delivery and repetitive word choice. He said the word "cohesion" like a half-dozen times in the first five minutes and I decided that was enough. Rant over. I don't have anything against the guy personally...just really don't think play-by-play is his strength.

I was hoping someone would drown that guy in the bathtub. I could not stand his announcing. That was the first home game I watch on the TV and I think the last. I will try harder to make it to the game next time.
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:39 am

With the exception of the games against Va Tech, Seattle, UCLA and Michigan, this year's team has shown a lot of mental toughness and a refusal to quit in face of adversity. We have lost to injury and grades 4 components of our game rotation, Chatman, Hogan, I. Jones, and T.Jones. The remaining guys do not quit. And, now, they are learning how to finish and win without these four other players.

How do you think Oakland would fare if they lost Hayes, Nunn, Brock, and Daniels at the same time? How do you think NKU would fare if they lost McDonald, Holland, and their 6th and 7th men at the same time? How would Wright State fare if they lost Loudon Love and Grant Benzinger for an extended time? Those scenarios are the type of adversity faced by our Titans.

It ain't pretty, but we have won two in a row playing 3 starters, Josh, and then #9-13 on our early season depth chart. That effort merits respect and hopefully sets the stage for better things not only this season but also in seasons to come.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:47 am

I am almost always in Calihan for Home Games. When I see Leach on Press Row, I smile and think "I would much rather be here than listening to him..."

I got to talk to Eli last night after the game. It was nice to see him get introduced at a Timeout. He is injured and they sent him home to rehab. He came to Detroit to rehab with Mike Miller. Eli had his problems, but he is the perfect example of what College can do for a young person. He came here with issues that flared and cost him/us during his career. But he graduated and left here as a grownup, able to deal with his demons and be a man. He is successful on the court and leading an exemplary life. He is proud to be a Titan alum and I am proud of him. His donations and his smile say it all. He was waiting outside the locker room with the family groups after the game in support of the guys. He was always my Dad's favorite player and ole Roger is looking down on him now and saying "good job, Eli".

As to our win streak: I still have no idea where this team is headed. We look really good for a few minutes; then we play in a fog for a few. Our best players look really good, then really bad. Our support players, however, seem to be more comfortable. They know their roles and seem to be playing them better. Prince is a tremendous force in the paint and a heady guy. Dre is playing within himself and playing hard -- as Hamann says, if he could just get rid of the dumb fouls 30 feet from the basket. Long is actually a really good defender; if he could just relax and shoot like he's capable. Ballantyne is an odd duck and a little soft but he can handle the ball and doesn't seem flustered by pressure or by the moment. Blackshear had a nice game; he's working hard and grabbing much-needed rebounds. McFolley seems more willing to play a support role. With too many one-on-one guys on the court at the same time, it just becomes a game of "now it's my turn..." and that's not team basketball. So kudos to Josh for his ability to step back a bit.

Our defense is still spotty; our rebounding is as well.Our propensity to turn the ball over is so frustrating...

But Corey Allen is a stud. He is playing offense and defense and picking his spots. He is a pure scorer. Dare I say that if he continues on this path, he might bring back memories of Willie Green or Tony Tolbert in his junior and senior years. He's that good. He could carry us if the support players continue to develop and we learn to play consistent defense.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby titandave » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:59 am

Any news on the academic situation for Hogan and T. Jones? I seem to re-call seeing an NCAA requirement that a D1 Student Athlete needs to maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.3 (C+) to remain eligible.
titandave
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:11 am

titandave wrote:Any news on the academic situation for Hogan and T. Jones? I seem to re-call seeing an NCAA requirement that a D1 Student Athlete needs to maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.3 (C+) to remain eligible.

On last Monday's radio show, Bacari said that last semester's cumulative team GPA was a B-. The NCAA rule says:

"All Division I student-athletes must earn at least six credit hours each term to be eligible for the following term and must meet minimum grade-point average requirements related to the school’s GPA standards for graduation."
ptctitan
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball