Youngstown State Preview and Game Thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Youngstown State Preview and Game Thread

Postby Motor City Sam » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:58 am

Fresh off an exciting win over Cleveland State, the Titans face the Youngstown State Penguins Friday night and try for an honest to goodness winning streak.  The game tips off at 7:00 PM.  ESPN3 will broadcast and 910 AM will have the radio coverage.  Note:  I tuned in to 910 AM Wednesday night on my way to the game, hoping to catch part of the pregame show.  I caught the end of the previous program, some talk show, and the host was really hyping up the game, telling the audience that "U of D" needed our thoughts and prayers as they tried to break the losing streak, and they had a good chance of pulling off the win against Cleveland State.  He called us U of D about four times.  That was all he called us.

Seems like Youngstown State has always been a football school that gave very little thought to basketball.  That certainly seemed true over the last decade plus as Jerry Slocum sat in the big chair, winning 38% of his overall games and just 31% in conference.  Slocum, who is the only recent coach in the HL that I actively disliked, finally retired last year.  The Penguins began an honest rebuild, long overdue.  The Titans own this series, 35-9, and even in the midst of one of the worse Titan seasons ever, they swept YSU in the regular season last year.

The Penguins closed the non-conference portion of their schedule with a nine game losing streak, but they got healthy once conference play started.  They surprised most observers by winning their first three HL games before dropping a road game to Oakland on Wednesday.  YSU currently stands at 5-12, with some really one sided losses.  Their 3-1 conference start wasn't expected.   How much of it is legit and how much is smoke and mirrors has yet to be determined. 

Probable Starters:
Devin Haygood.  6-7, 185 junior forward.  6 points, 4 rebounds per game.  Lanky kid with some skills.  Has been forced to play out of position for most of his career.  Special note:  Devin went to my high school. 
Naz Bohannon.  6-6, 230 freshman forward.  6 points, 7 rebounds. Around the basket scorer, still getting used to D1 basketball.
Garrett Covington.  6-5 freshman guard.  8 points, 4 rebounds. 
Cameron Morse.  6-3 senior guard.  14 points, 4 assists, 3 rebounds.  Flintstone.  Morse was off to a slow start in the non-conference season, but has jumped up his play in the HL.  He's averaging 19 points on 50% shooting in conference play. 
Braun Hartfield.  15 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists.  Another guy playing much better in HL play.  

Key Reserves:
Jeremiah Ferguson.  6-2 sophomore guard.  5 points per game.  Hit 21 points against Oakland. 
Noe Anibar.  6-8, 226 junior forward.  3 point per game. 
Jaylen Benton.  6-4 senior guard.  6 points, 2 assists. 
Tyree Robinson.  6-, 220.  8 points, 4 rebounds.  

On paper, it's hard to tell how Youngstown State won three games in a row in the HL.   Again, this is a game Detroit should win.  The wildcard, of course, is whether or not the Titans will be close to their full complement of players.  If the mysterious absences of T Jones and Hogan continue and Kam Chatman is unable to play, the likelihood of a Titan victory shrinks.  Just like Wednesday, we'll have to see.  

Go Titans.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Re: Youngstown State Preview and Game Thread

Postby uofdfan1983 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:20 am

I wish the absence of Tariq and Jaleel was mysterious. The reason is what we all know it is which means, I suppose, that Jaleel's career is over :cry:

Thanks for the update, Sam. Appreciate the time.

In honor of the almost "co-head coaching" we have right now between BA & JJ, I propose that with The Commissioner back in the Continental 48 that you guys agree to split the job in an "on/off" mode, maybe lightening the responsibility and also mixing up the writing styles for us readers. I am of the many who appreciate all the hard work that Commish and Sam put into this board.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:22 am

Hip Hip Hip ------------------------ Hurray!!!!!!!!

There are lots of us readers that truly appreciate the work and effort they both put into their most entertaining writing. Thanks a bunch, guys.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:24 pm

uofdfan1983 wrote:I wish the absence of Tariq and Jaleel was mysterious. The reason is what we all know it is which means, I suppose, that Jaleel's career is over :cry:

I guess deep down inside I didn't want to face the fact that it was academics, since that means the end of Jaleel's time as a Titan. Not sure what it means for T Jones, but in the short term it leaves a couple of holes in the rotation. Sad situation, especially with Hogan since he actually played one of his better games of the season against NKU.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:50 pm

I’d say about 200 people here, 25 of those YSU fans.

Chatman, Hogan an Jones not in uniform.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:54 pm

Just not the same without Jerry Slocum. Still, somewhere, Gabriel Dos Santos' heart is beating just a little faster when we face Youngstown State. The Titans are favored by 4 or 4.5 and the over/under is a big 168. Take the under and give the points. The Official Moose Prediction (from the home office in Moose Peak Lighthouse on Mistake Island, Maine): Detroit-Mercy Titans 88 Youngstown State Penguins 77, GO TITANS!!!
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:03 pm

Translation: Jones and Hogan will not play because of grades. Not good.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:06 pm

UGH-LEEEEE!!!
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:07 pm

9 turnovers in only 8 minutes. That is worrisome.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:09 pm

MooseGuy1 wrote:Translation: Jones and Hogan will not play because of grades. Not good.

Yup, when a university says an athlete is not playing and cites FERPA it's grades. Too bad. Let's hope for the rare scenario that it's just one course and Jaleel has a shot at an appeal for the final grade.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:14 pm

Motor City Sam wrote:
uofdfan1983 wrote:I wish the absence of Tariq and Jaleel was mysterious. The reason is what we all know it is which means, I suppose, that Jaleel's career is over :cry:

I guess deep down inside I didn't want to face the fact that it was academics, since that means the end of Jaleel's time as a Titan. Not sure what it means for T Jones, but in the short term it leaves a couple of holes in the rotation. Sad situation, especially with Hogan since he actually played one of his better games of the season against NKU.

I wonder if Hogan and Jones submitted a paper or an assignment late? I cant recall ever seeing players who become ineligible due to grades after the fall semester sitting on the bench.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:16 pm

Good job JJJr! at 8:22 mark of the first half, he faked like he was going to shoot a three pointer and instead made a nice little floater! That's the first time I've seen him do that as a titan! I think he does read this board! :D
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:24 pm

Why is Jack B. posting up at the three point line?
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:26 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:
Motor City Sam wrote:

I wonder if Hogan and Jones submitted a paper or an assignment late? I cant recall ever seeing players who become ineligible due to grades after the fall semester sitting on the bench.

I’m guessing they are appealing a grade, and they’re on the team until that process is completed.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:32 pm

Rogo, is it at all likely that an appeal might work? I'm years removed from college and never faced that problem. I'm mean does an appeal work often for athletes?
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:33 pm

MooseGuy1 wrote:Rogo, is it at all likely that an appeal might work? I'm years removed from college and never faced that problem. I'm mean does an appeal work often for athletes?

They need a good lawyer.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:35 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:
MooseGuy1 wrote:Rogo, is it at all likely that an appeal might work? I'm years removed from college and never faced that problem. I'm mean does an appeal work often for athletes?

They need a good lawyer.

That wasn't the answer I was looking for. So it really could be the end of Hogan's career as a player. That's a tough one for sure.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:50 pm

I had a friend that appealed a grade he received on a history final exam. The same professor that gave him the initial grade was responsible for re-reading the essay and giving him a grade. Of course his grade did not change.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:58 pm

Dan Leach calling us Detroit Titans all night. The university can't even convince the guy it pays to broadcast its games to go along with the rebrand.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:14 pm

We've got a 3 guard lineup that can't break a press.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball