IUPUI Jags Preview and Game Thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: IUPUI Jags Preview and Game Thread

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:19 pm

Don’t give up on these Titans. This one isn’t over.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby udballer » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:38 pm

Resurget Cineribus wrote:Don’t give up on these Titans. This one isn’t over.

It's over now. Good news is that it looks like we'll win the second half. Things are looking up. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Get ready for a strong push into the HL tournament!
udballer
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:40 pm

It's over!!! McFolley was getting hot but Black and Chatman are dominating the possessions. Why is Cory not on the floor? Combination on the floor brought us to with in 5 so we had to tinker with it.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Big Chuck » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:46 pm

i am glad we deliberately fouled with 18 seconds to go in order to be sure they scored 80
Last edited by Big Chuck on Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Chuck
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:46 pm

If not for our stellar free throw defense (held the Jags to 58%), could have been a lot worse. Something to build on.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:58 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:It's over!!! McFolley was getting hot but Black and Chatman are dominating the possessions. Why is Cory not on the floor? Combination on the floor brought us to with in 5 so we had to tinker with it.

This is what makes me pull my hair out. Why can this staff not recognize what happened when they stumble into some success? Kam was still not himself and Dre started running the point. 5 points down blows up to 14 in moments. Dammit! If something is working when nothing else all night has, ride it out until it stops working.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:59 pm

OMG - I just woke up for my middle of the night pee. Wish I would have just pissed in the bed. Back to bed. Hopefully, I will wake up in the morning and find out this is just a nightmare.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:31 am

I didn't get a chance to watch or listen to the game. I figured we would either be up by 5 at half time and fold at the 10 minute mark of the second half, or get blown out by 25, I knew for sure that we would definitely take an L. Looking at the box score I observed that Black played 26 minutes and that Allen only played 22 and McFolley played 21. Allen and McFolley should play at least 30 minutes per game. Dre Black should either play a maximum of 5 minutes or not all. Long played 17 minutes and Ballantyne only played 13, Eichler is another guy who should never see the floor, played 10 minutes and Blackshear only played 6. I have come to the conclusion that Bacari Alexander and Jermaine Jackson couldn't coach their way out of a wet paper bag. At this point of the season they should have a rotation of 8 players set. Based on the talent of this team I think we should have a 7 man rotation. The starting line up of Blackshear,Prince and Chatman up front with Jackson and Allen in the back court is fine. However, the only players whou should get minutes off the bench are Ballantyne and McFolley. Stevie Wonder, Clarence Carter, Blind Mellow Jelly and Ray Charles could see that this is our best lineup.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:45 am

It's tough in any conference to play road games. The remaining 10 Titan scholarship players do not have enough individual or combined talent to just show up, which is what they did in the first half. You cannot spot any team 23 points on their home court and expect to win the game. MSU could not do it at Ohio State. Even Trae Young could not do it last night at Kansas St. Corey Allen and Kam Chatman are not that talented.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:57 am

Big Chuck wrote:Trying to think of a positive thing to say.

Here's a positive - Eichler was 1/1 from the floor. The basket was on a Jabbar-like skyhook. The young man should keep working on that and turn that into his weapon

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/953437367528017920
HSScout1
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:52 am

Actually, UP, I thought of you when we went on the run. Bacari did make only one switch: it was to sub Chatman for Long. Long played another decent game -- he gives a nice defensive effort and hit a couple 3s. He is one of the guys who is actually improving as the season progresses. We cut it to 5 with about 4:30 to go (plenty of time left) and shortly after getting re-inserted Chatman had an open look on a 3-pointer that he missed. I am certainly NOT saying that Long would have made the same shot in that situation. Certainly, inserting Chatman was an effort to put another "gun" on the court. You are correct however that the substitution did change the focus of an offense that was humming at the moment. Chatman was not 100% last night, at least in his "game" focus after 3 games off with concussion symptons. As to Allen: I believe he's our best player overall but I also understood why BA took him out. He was miserable/scoreless in the 1st half (a common malady), got hot for a spell early in the 2nd (he was our entire offense early in the 2nd) but then got a little piggish again and BA took him out. Then this group got hot and we made our run: JJJ, McFolley, Black, Long, Prince. Ballantyne has skills but plays soft and I am not going to lobby that he has to play. If you decide to "go for it with your guns" after you've cut it to 5, you insert both Allen & Chatman. If you decide to keep going with what got you back in the game, you don't sub at all. BA inserted Chatman only, who had earlier received a long chalkboard talk from BA right there on the bench after he got yanked early in the 2nd. I actually liked that moment. It is long overdue to treat NO ONE like a prima donna. When you don't give maximum effort, sit. When you ball hog, sit. When you make a couple mistakes in a row, sit. And if you need a chalkboard talk or a tongue-lashing right there on the bench, then go ahead, Coach.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:26 am

R.B.J1 wrote:I didn't get a chance to watch or listen to the game. I figured we would either be up by 5 at half time and fold at the 10 minute mark of the second half, or get blown out by 25, I knew for sure that we would definitely take an L. Looking at the box score I observed that Black played 26 minutes and that Allen only played 22 and McFolley played 21. Allen and McFolley should play at least 30 minutes per game. Dre Black should either play a maximum of 5 minutes or not all. Long played 17 minutes and Ballantyne only played 13, Eichler is another guy who should never see the floor, played 10 minutes and Blackshear only played 6. I have come to the conclusion that Bacari Alexander and Jermaine Jackson couldn't coach their way out of a wet paper bag. At this point of the season they should have a rotation of 8 players set. Based on the talent of this team I think we should have a 7 man rotation. The starting line up of Blackshear,Prince and Chatman up front with Jackson and Allen in the back court is fine. However, the only players whou should get minutes off the bench are Ballantyne and McFolley. Stevie Wonder, Clarence Carter, Blind Mellow Jelly and Ray Charles could see that this is our best lineup.

You need to watch the game and watch Blacksheer a little closer. Very slow to the ball and tons of defensive mistakes and untimely fouls. Black continually drives to the basket and picks up his dribble or tries to do more than he is physically capable of doing.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:40 am

uofdfan1983 wrote:Actually, UP, I thought of you when we went on the run. Bacari did make only one switch: it was to sub Chatman for Long. Long played another decent game -- he gives a nice defensive effort and hit a couple 3s. He is one of the guys who is actually improving as the season progresses. We cut it to 5 with about 4:30 to go (plenty of time left) and shortly after getting re-inserted Chatman had an open look on a 3-pointer that he missed. I am certainly NOT saying that Long would have made the same shot in that situation. Certainly, inserting Chatman was an effort to put another "gun" on the court. You are correct however that the substitution did change the focus of an offense that was humming at the moment. Chatman was not 100% last night, at least in his "game" focus after 3 games off with concussion symptons. As to Allen: I believe he's our best player overall but I also understood why BA took him out. He was miserable/scoreless in the 1st half (a common malady), got hot for a spell early in the 2nd (he was our entire offense early in the 2nd) but then got a little piggish again and BA took him out. Then this group got hot and we made our run: JJJ, McFolley, Black, Long, Prince. Ballantyne has skills but plays soft and I am not going to lobby that he has to play. If you decide to "go for it with your guns" after you've cut it to 5, you insert both Allen & Chatman. If you decide to keep going with what got you back in the game, you don't sub at all. BA inserted Chatman only, who had earlier received a long chalkboard talk from BA right there on the bench after he got yanked early in the 2nd. I actually liked that moment. It is long overdue to treat NO ONE like a prima donna. When you don't give maximum effort, sit. When you ball hog, sit. When you make a couple mistakes in a row, sit. And if you need a chalkboard talk or a tongue-lashing right there on the bench, then go ahead, Coach.

If BA did pay attention instead of being the comedian he would have realized why Beilein gave Chatman less playing time as the season progressed. Beilein does encourage team and distribution and is not tolerant of selfish basketball. Beilein is a very good judge of talent. Someone in the Titan Club the other night said BA is good at closing a game out. I contend that he has lost more than he has won this year but I did see some good decisions and set plays last week.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:04 pm

It should be an interesting roundball luncheon today because Bacari sounded very angry at his players during the post-game interview with Cliff Russell.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby titandave » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:11 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:I didn't get a chance to watch or listen to the game. I figured we would either be up by 5 at half time and fold at the 10 minute mark of the second half, or get blown out by 25, I knew for sure that we would definitely take an L. Looking at the box score I observed that Black played 26 minutes and that Allen only played 22 and McFolley played 21. Allen and McFolley should play at least 30 minutes per game. Dre Black should either play a maximum of 5 minutes or not all. Long played 17 minutes and Ballantyne only played 13, Eichler is another guy who should never see the floor, played 10 minutes and Blackshear only played 6. I have come to the conclusion that Bacari Alexander and Jermaine Jackson couldn't coach their way out of a wet paper bag. At this point of the season they should have a rotation of 8 players set. Based on the talent of this team I think we should have a 7 man rotation. The starting line up of Blackshear,Prince and Chatman up front with Jackson and Allen in the back court is fine. However, the only players whou should get minutes off the bench are Ballantyne and McFolley. Stevie Wonder, Clarence Carter, Blind Mellow Jelly and Ray Charles could see that this is our best lineup.

I agree with many of your points, however, I would go with an 8 player rotation as follows:

Starting Line Up: McFolley, Allen, Chatman, Prince, & Blackshear
Off the bench: JJJ, Ballantyne, and Long
titandave
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:25 pm

I'd go with JJJr, Allen, Chatman, Prince and Eichler to start.

Bench: Josh, Long, Blackshear, Ballantyne, Black.

Those are all the available scholarship players we have left. I. Jones on the DL. Maybe a late season return.

BTW, in the 7 Horizon League games played so far, JJJr is shooting 46% from the field and 45% from 3-pt range.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:39 pm

ptctitan wrote:I'd go with JJJr, Allen, Chatman, Prince and Eichler to start.

Those are all the available scholarship players we have left. I. Jones on the DL. Maybe a late season return.

BTW, in the 7 Horizon League games played so far, JJJr is shooting 46% from the field and 45% from 3-pt range.

I would definitely start JJJr.. He has had two good games in a row and probably was our best player in Indy. Wonder if 96 has slashed his wrists yet?
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:05 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:
ptctitan wrote:I'd go with JJJr, Allen, Chatman, Prince and Eichler to start.

I would definitely start JJJr.. He has had two good games in a row and probably was our best player in Indy. Wonder if 96 has slashed his wrists yet?

I would start JJjr and Allen, but if McFolley is hot I would let it ride. Felt like he was pulled when we needed him last night after cutting lead to 5.
titanmike
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:01 pm

titanmike wrote:I would start JJjr and Allen, but if McFolley is hot I would let it ride. Felt like he was pulled when we needed him last night after cutting lead to 5.

mike - do you mean in the 2nd half? Because I don't recall McFolley being pulled at all in the 2nd half after he entered the game with about 14 minutes left. But I did wonder why we did not get him some more shots after he cut it to 5. It was his first game since Toledo when his shot was falling.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby udballer » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:47 pm

ptctitan wrote:It was his first game since Toledo when his shot was falling.

Oh, Jesus. He is shooting 38% in Horizon League play, in limited opportunities. You call out JJJ for being awesome at 46% over the same stretch and McFolley's 38% turns into "he hasn't shot well since Toledo"? Give me a break. We get it, you are a huge JJJ fan.
udballer
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball