Robert Vowels

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Robert Vowels

Postby UDDRUMMER » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:52 am

dennycrane wrote:To continue this a bit, Excited, the hiring of Jason Horn, I always felt, cost us the very able Greg Haapala, who was younger but not by a lot, than Deron Montgomery who had functioned well as a deputy in the Athletic Department and coached one of the tennis teams too. Greg moved on a number of months after Horn arrived. We lost another star performer in Brandon Longmeier a few months into the new regime, as you probably know. These were young people who understood what the culture was here. There were others who left as well. The collateral damage from "that woman" was extensive and hasn't been repaired.

I agree, Greg and Brandon were great guys. They were excellent in reaching out and building a connection with the fan and alumni base. On the bus trips they were great coordinating all aspects of the away game experience. When I was student president of the Pep Band, I would meet with Brandon on a weekly basis, really enjoyed working with him. Also, really enjoyed Michael Miller from the Titan Club last season. Last fall, I forgot to send in my donation, he called and met me at work near the UDM Law Campus to collect my donation. I called and left a message with him earlier this season, and didn't hear anything back. I was on campus for the homecoming and spoke with a representative from the athletic department and was informed that the Titan Club Michael Miller didn't work for the university anymore. With the loss of these three employees, I fell the athletic department has lost touch with the alumni and fan base.

Overall, I haven't been impressed with AD Vowels.
I got a fever..the only prescription is more COWBELL!

UDM Alum Class of 2012
http://youtu.be/fyV2cPLuFuA
UDDRUMMER
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:54 am

ExcitedTitan wrote:
dennycrane wrote:To continue this a bit, Excited, the hiring of Jason Horn, I always felt, cost us the very able Greg Haapala, who was younger but not by a lot, than Deron Montgomery who had functioned well as a deputy in the Athletic Department and coached one of the tennis teams too. Greg moved on a number of months after Horn arrived. We lost another star performer in Brandon Longmeier a few months into the new regime, as you probably know. These were young people who understood what the culture was here. There were others who left as well. The collateral damage from "that woman" was extensive and hasn't been repaired.

All very fine people. They "got us" as boosters and were always willing to help with anything. Brandon is at CSU. Daron is at St. Anselm. I would have liked to have seen Daron hired as AD, but they needed to move away from anything related to Keri. I believe Greg recently got married and lives in Wisconsin or Minnesota. We need more people who get us.
upbasketballfan wrote: FWIW I think Michael Miller was an asset.

Glad he helped your wife out, but I had very different experiences with him.

Excited part of my point on Michael Miller was not only that he helped my wife but that he was not a part of the" me first attitude in the Athletic Dept". We talk about fans and finances. Well I am a fan and have been a consistent donor to UD for over 50 years. Yet the young man in the Athletic Dept. felt he had the right to tell my wife she could not sit in a seat that we have been purchasing for years. This young man who was a part of University staff felt it was more important to have a spot for his hot dog and nachos rather than move and allow a real Titan fan their seat. This attitude was here before Vowels and is still present. It seemed to fester during Keri's term. I have been hanging around down there since Calihan and I have personally felt the disengage from the fan base. F.W.I.W. Vowels has taken the time to personally thank us for attending the games. We have also watched him personally thank others for their support and for attending the games. We did not see this during the last two administrations.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:11 pm

Has anyone seen Robert Vowels at the games the last month or so?
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:55 pm

uofdmik2008 wrote:Has anyone seen Robert Vowels at the games the last month or so?

It was reported over the weekend that he's been away recently due to a death in the family, but was expected to return today
HSScout1
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:59 pm

uofdmik2008 wrote:Has anyone seen Robert Vowels at the games the last month or so?

He's been at the games I have been able to attend and I have engaged him in conversation after each of those games. He remains as accessible, at least in my experience, as he always has been.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:33 pm

Say what you will, but I don't think AD Vowels is avoiding the people. He struck me as a nice man the one time I met him and I hope it gets turned around. It's been rough, no doubt, but not personal.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:23 am

I don't see how/why Garibaldi doesn't fire Vowels immediately. Athletics in disarray. Vowels became AD in 2013 and it's hard to see anything he's done well. He botched the rebrand on the athletics side of things, hired what appear to be bad coaches, and we've seen our flagship program deteriote into an NAIA program after Vowels fired Ray. He hasn't accomplished any of the goals listed in his bio. Very poor hire by Garibaldi. Vowels was an administrator with the NCAA and for some reason Garibaldi thought that would translate into success as an AD. We needed a creative mind, someone who could think outside the box. Someone like Konya. Just another example of OU running circles around us.

Maybe BA has a guaranteed contract, but I have to believe by now Garibaldi could tell Vowels to leave today, Saturdany, without any serious financial consequences. Everyday Garibaldi keeps Vowels on staff is an embarrassment. The only good thing Vowels did was buy a new scoreboard. I'm guessing he got taken and overpaid. Sad.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:20 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I don't see how/why Garibaldi doesn't fire Vowels immediately. Athletics in disarray. Vowels became AD in 2013 and it's hard to see anything he's done well. He botched the rebrand on the athletics side of things, hired what appear to be bad coaches, and we've seen our flagship program deteriote into an NAIA program after Vowels fired Ray. He hasn't accomplished any of the goals listed in his bio. Very poor hire by Garibaldi. Vowels was an administrator with the NCAA and for some reason Garibaldi thought that would translate into success as an AD. We needed a creative mind, someone who could think outside the box. Someone like Konya. Just another example of OU running circles around us.

Maybe BA has a guaranteed contract, but I have to believe by now Garibaldi could tell Vowels to leave today, Saturdany, without any serious financial consequences. Everyday Garibaldi keeps Vowels on staff is an embarrassment. The only good thing Vowels did was buy a new scoreboard. I'm guessing he got taken and overpaid. Sad.

True men's and women's season is a disaster, but you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to the scoreboard, let's not post garbage on here. Because I was with you until You start weaving fact with garbage and then lose all credibility and stink this board up. You want Garibaldi, Vowels or BA out, let's stick to some semblance of fact or knowledge please, instead of making crap up, especially if alums that helped with the scoreboard read this, because they assisted and used their resources to help get that done. You may hurt the school and department by making stuff up like this!
Mik

uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:27 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I don't see how/why Garibaldi doesn't fire Vowels immediately. Athletics in disarray. Vowels became AD in 2013 and it's hard to see anything he's done well. He botched the rebrand on the athletics side of things, hired what appear to be bad coaches, and we've seen our flagship program deteriote into an NAIA program after Vowels fired Ray. He hasn't accomplished any of the goals listed in his bio. Very poor hire by Garibaldi. Vowels was an administrator with the NCAA and for some reason Garibaldi thought that would translate into success as an AD. We needed a creative mind, someone who could think outside the box. Someone like Konya. Just another example of OU running circles around us.

FWIW, I’m not sure how much of the botched branding outcome can be blamed on Vowels. In a brief conversation I once had with him, I got the sense Athletics was cut completely out of the process. Don’t know if he was passive or alternatively yelled and screamed when decisions were made, but I think he’s too much of a team player to publicly voice his displeasure with the “Detroit Mercy” brand generally and specific to athletics.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:29 pm

Look, staying Detroit Mercy as a school is on the trustees. Putting "Detroit Mercy" on the center court and then painting "DetroitTitans.com" 20 feet away is 100% on Vowels. That's what I meant as far as botching the rebrand on the athletics side.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:53 pm

I guess what I really want to know what the trustees and the President think of this season and state of all of our teams. What is the plan to make Detroit Mercy Titans Champions again across all sports?
Mik

uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:21 pm

I rely on you for that information.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:56 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I rely on you for that information.

That is going to be what I talk about to the powers to be on Tuesday!
Mik

uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:35 am

The important question of 2018 will not be whether BA stays. It is whether the contract of Vowels gets renewed. Potentially, the BA situation can be either fixed or ameliorated. But if the AD stays, then there is no hope for 5 more years. Never, Ever, Ever extend, renew or revise the Vowels contract. Either terminate it or (if it ends this year) let it expire. In any organization you cannot fix the big problems until the person who caused the problems (or allowed it to happen) is gone. New direction needs new leadership. This ship needs a new Captain.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:48 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I rely on you for that information.

I cannot post any specifics, but the University is working towards a 2020 vision that includes substantial cost cutting measures (going on right now), increase of enrollment (4875 to 5114) and increase of endowment ($25m to north of $50m), these numbers have to continue to improve as many of you pointed out for a financially stable university going forward. That is why you have the new brand, tuition reset and $100 million dollar campaign all coming together at the same time to increase endowment, increase enrollment and some have noticed that Michael Miller's position hasn't been filled, that is not the AD that is a university wide hiring freeze to examine staffing as well as other measures that are in process right now to significantly reduce costs. The University is examining programs both academic and athletic to look at potential cost savings and student enrichment, as well as future academic programs that would have a positive enrollment impact. The school is taking the mission of significantly improving its financial footing over the next 3 years, unfortunately that means short term pain for long term gain. At this time the measures the university is taking on, puts anything else on the back burner, making the AD job very difficult making a shoe string budget that much smaller until all of these measures are realized and hopefully by 2020 has the resources to address the resources needed to run 19 Division 1 sports that are competitive but until then the only way we will improve those sports is the support alumni provide. Regardless of whether you like AD Vowels or head coach Alexander, there are projects that are necessary to improve the facilities for our student athletes, here are a few that cannot be done without the support of alumni:

Lights Calihan Hall
Lights Buysse Ball Park
Lights Titan Field
Improvements/Updates to Calihan Hall
Seating, Bathrooms, Concession Stands at Titan Field
Student Athlete Food/Fuel Station
Additional on Campus Practice Facility for all of our sports

These improvements would hopefully attract higher caliber of student athletes and if not, you can support restricted scholarships that go to support individual D1 team scholarships for the school that does not involve the AD, Bacari or anyone else from the athletic department. All of you calling for Vowels head have to understand that majority of alums/supporters wanted BA as head coach and there are groups that even threatened to take away support if he was not hired. If you want to change something in regards to Athletics and the role it has at the school you need to reach out to the Trustees and Garibaldi to push for support for athletics in the next 5 year strategic plan to make sure that once resources are freed up after the current initiatives are moved forward, that some of those resources are sent to support our student-athletes!
Mik

uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:39 pm

Thanks for the info. Some accomplishments but I feel he needs to go. I'm willing to bet most fans and people on this board agree. The best "investment" we could make is a dynamic and creative AD. And that can't wait one year let alone five.
Tacitus651
Senior

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball