Bacari's Record

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Bacari's Record

Postby Titansfan313 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:04 pm

Bacari Alexander's record so far through a season in a half. This doesn't count the non D-1 teams and the games he missed do to suspension.

9-34, 21% Overall
8-18, 31% Horizon League

He has a 1-16 non-conference record against D-1 teams in two seasons with the lone win coming against Western Kentucky last season.

Just shows you the the President and AD have no clue what they are doing by giving him a big long-term deal like they did. He had never been a head coach before so why give him all of those years on his contract? The max he should have gotten was four years.
Titansfan313
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:57 pm

Re: Bacari's Record

Postby R.B.J1 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:16 pm

I don't think it has been confirmed that it was Bacari Alexander was given a 7 year contract.
R.B.J1
Senior
 
Posts: 1968
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: Bacari's Record

Postby Tacitus651 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:37 pm

96, you didn't need to go to the trouble of making a new account to prove your point.
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2097
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Bacari's Record

Postby Titansfan313 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:15 pm

Just stating facts on his coaching record. I don't even know who 96 is.
Titansfan313
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:57 pm

Re: Bacari's Record

Postby Titans96 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:17 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:96, you didn't need to go to the trouble of making a new account to prove your point.

If you say so. I didn’t create a new account, but the post is just stating facts. Try not to be so bitter.
Titans96
Senior
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:20 am

Re: Bacari's Record

Postby Tacitus651 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:29 pm

Titans96 wrote:
Tacitus651 wrote:96, you didn't need to go to the trouble of making a new account to prove your point.

If you say so. I didn’t create a new account, but the post is just stating facts. Try not to be so bitter.


I'm not bitter. Whoever our new poster is, they got it 100% correct. Awful president, awful AD. If they did give BA 7 years with no out they're even dumber than I thought.
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2097
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Bacari's Record

Postby uofdfan1983 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:25 pm

Why, exactly, is Garabaldi awful when entrollment is up, our endowment is up, fundraising is up and oh yeah...our academic rankings are improving? I guess if the only part of a President's record that matters is the basketball team's record, than yes, Garabaldi is awful.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:52 pm

Re: Bacari's Record

Postby Commissioner » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:54 pm

uofdfan1983 wrote:Why, exactly, is Garabaldi awful when entrollment is up, our endowment is up, fundraising is up and oh yeah...our academic rankings are improving? I guess if the only part of a President's record that matters is the basketball team's record, than yes, Garabaldi is awful.

What have the Romans ever done for us!
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior
 
Posts: 4697
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: Bacari's Record

Postby Tacitus651 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:05 pm

Awful rebrand. Just the worst thing I've ever seen in my life. Heck, even you still refer to us as UD. As for fundraising, everyone's "up" when the DOW returns 20% and people are doing well. I wouldn't say UDM is fundraising better than its peer institutions. The endowment is also up because the market is up. UDM doesn't manage its own endowment so I don't see how you can possibly credit that to him. He didn't embezzle our endowment, so maybe that's the logic? I guess enrollment is up but I have a hard time believing it's due to Garibaldi's genius. We're getting a bad deal. We need a Jesuit priest who will work for a fraction of the salary and do twice the work.
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2097
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Bacari's Record

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:17 pm

I have no problem with Garibaldi. As President, he oversees and delegates responsibility. As far as hiring Vowels, that may not be Garibaldi's best move. The Athletic Department is kind of a mess but that's just a small part of what the President does. Overall, other areas do seem to be improving under Garibaldi.
MooseGuy1
Senior
 
Posts: 3626
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Re: Bacari's Record

Postby NC Titan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:13 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Awful rebrand. Just the worst thing I've ever seen in my life. Heck, even you still refer to us as UD. As for fundraising, everyone's "up" when the DOW returns 20% and people are doing well. I wouldn't say UDM is fundraising better than its peer institutions. The endowment is also up because the market is up. UDM doesn't manage its own endowment so I don't see how you can possibly credit that to him. He didn't embezzle our endowment, so maybe that's the logic? I guess enrollment is up but I have a hard time believing it's due to Garibaldi's genius. We're getting a bad deal. We need a Jesuit priest who will work for a fraction of the salary and do twice the work.


So, according to you, Tacitus, anything negative is President Garibaldi's fault, but nothing positive is to his credit. Hmmmm.

A few years back when the capital campaign was in its early stages, it was for just $60 million or $75 million. Garibaldi pushed it to $100 million and it is much of the way there. The growth in the endowment (quite a bit of the capital campaign, by the way, goes to the endowment) is due mostly to gifts, not to the market, and, yes, that can be credited to Garibaldi's fundraising abilities. (After all, that was one of his major accomplishments at Gannon, along with higher enrollment, and one main reasons we hired him.)

And the higher enrollment at UDM? Enrollment is up because Garibaldi has emphasized and grown programs that attract students, and therefore bring in tuition, along with investment from industry and government.

Furthermore, Garibaldi's is deeply involved in the resurgence of the neighborhood and the city, and that has reinforced the school's standing as an anchor of northwestern Detroit -- attracting investment from governments and local and national foundations and a growing commercial base.

In the grand scheme of UDM and in the priorities of Garibaldi's office, those are all more significant that athletics. Yes, you can make plenty of arguments that a successful athletic program will help the school, but not as much as a strong endowment, programs that attract students, and an improved physical campus at 6 Mile and Livernois.

Say what you want, strong and attractive programs, a growing endowment, and a stable university are all more important to the president of the university (and to the university) than the basketball team. Save your misdirected venom for Mr. Vowels. After all, it's the University of Detroit Mercy, not the Athletics of Detroit Mercy.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 2282
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Bacari's Record

Postby Tacitus651 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:26 pm

According to the latest 990 we pay Garibaldi $495,000 per year. Yes, many other catholic schools have also (wrongly) instituted lay presidents, but I don't see how that makes it ok. And I don't see how you can subscribe to ANY version of Catholic social teaching and say it's ok to pay one man a half million dollars per year in a poor city like Detroit and then ask these kids to pay $30,000 in tuition. Maybe all of you are ok with that but I'm certainly not. We lost our way.
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2097
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Bacari's Record

Postby udballer » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:31 pm

NC Titan wrote:After all, it's the University of Detroit Mercy, not the Athletics of Detroit Mercy.


Aren't we allowed both? I've heard that some schools actually succeed in both arenas.

I'm actually fine with Garibaldi... so long as he gets athletics in order. It all falls under his umbrella. Just because he appears to be succeeding with the endowment doesn't mean he gets a complete pass on athletics. If Vowels was his mistake, he should attempt to rectify it.
udballer
Senior
 
Posts: 1421
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Bacari's Record

Postby Motor City Sam » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:34 pm

The main issue I have with Garibaldi is the "re-brand", but even with that I am not sure how much of that you blame on him. It's not like he could make a unilateral decision on what we should be called, unless I greatly misunderstand the powers of the University President at U of D. By most metrics, things have improved noticeably on his watch.

If Vowels was in complete control of the decision to fire Ray and hire BA, then obviously that move impacts his job security. The hire of Coach Scott on the women's team looked like a great move up until the start of this season. I have no idea what is going on with the Lady Titans.
Motor City Sam
Senior
 
Posts: 4818
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:25 pm
Location: Detroit, MI

Re: Bacari's Record

Postby NC Titan » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:15 am

Tacitus651 wrote:According to the latest 990 we pay Garibaldi $495,000 per year. Yes, many other catholic schools have also (wrongly) instituted lay presidents, but I don't see how that makes it ok. And I don't see how you can subscribe to ANY version of Catholic social teaching and say it's ok to pay one man a half million dollars per year in a poor city like Detroit and then ask these kids to pay $30,000 in tuition. Maybe all of you are ok with that but I'm certainly not. We lost our way.


If Garibaldi is paid $495,000 and the school has about 5,000 students, so each student pays about $100 toward his salary. That's well below the $137 average of American universities.

Before Garibaldi the chatter on this board was strongly and unceasingly critical of our previous two presidents -- one a Jesuit, one a Mercy sister. Should be bring one of them back just to get a religious in charge of the school?
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 2282
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Bacari's Record

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:27 am

Clearly you don't know much about catholic social teaching. It doesn't matter how much each student pays for us to staff our President. It's antithetical to our teachings and current opinions of this pope to pay one person that kind of money when we are non profit organization with a mission to educate. I mean, seriously. Some reports suggest that Detroit has a literacy rate of 50%. We have scores of blocks of abandoned homes, drug problems, and youth with no direction. And you think it's ok to pay ONE man 500K per year to run a nonprofit institution based on the teachings of the catholic faith in THAT environment. And then you justify it because enrollment and the endowment are up in a red hot economy. Man, some of you are a special kind of stupid. At least I hope you think of Garibaldi's salary when you send your checks in.
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2097
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Bacari's Record

Postby R.B.J1 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:31 am

I've got my popcorn ready and I am waiting on UDMik to chime in on Bacaris record and Garibaldis salary.
R.B.J1
Senior
 
Posts: 1968
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: Bacari's Record

Postby JimmyChitwood » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:14 am

I opened this thread to read what you guys think about Bacari's record. My bad.
JimmyChitwood
Senior
 
Posts: 1368
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:30 pm

Re: Bacari's Record

Postby titanmike » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:53 am

Motor City Sam wrote:The main issue I have with Garibaldi is the "re-brand", but even with that I am not sure how much of that you blame on him. It's not like he could make a unilateral decision on what we should be called, unless I greatly misunderstand the powers of the University President at U of D. By most metrics, things have improved noticeably on his watch.

If Vowels was in complete control of the decision to fire Ray and hire BA, then obviously that move impacts his job security. The hire of Coach Scott on the women's team looked like a great move up until the start of this season. I have no idea what is going on with the Lady Titans.


I heard over the weekend that the rebrand cant be pinned on him. Basically having told people in Nashville that we would be University of Detroit, only to be undercut by the board of directors and the ignoring of the scarborouh-simpson study. I would be shocked if that study had reported anything but the desire to be University of Detroit again. The board of the directors and the mercy nuns are at fault. Even if we had to be branded Detroit Mercy, the logical choice for athletics was ignored by not using Detroit.
titanmike
Senior
 
Posts: 1852
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: Bacari's Record

Postby uofdfan1983 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:58 am

Bacari's record is bad right now, isn't that obvious?

On other points:
1) Guys, Ray SR is a good guy but for whatever reason, he and his assistants stopped taking care of the players at the (ridiculously high) level that is apparently required nowadays in major sport Div I teams. Half the team was going to transfer had there not been a change in leadership. That is fact. Ray did some good things while he was here but it was over for him here. That is fact. Vowels had no choice. If you don't believe this, please talk to Robert yourself.
2) If Bacari doesn't turn these guys around and buying in 100% to him, he will face the same outcome. The players prefer JJ, right or wrong. I like BA. I think he has the character and charisma and pedigree for this job. I hope he proves me right. The story will be written. Give BA 3 years minimum to install his system, his players, and the necessary "buy in".
3) When the University had to replace Fr. Stockhausen, there weren't any Jesuits with the right CV/interest in becoming President anywhere in the USA. We had NO Jesuit candidates available. Do you want another Sister of Mercy in charge? Today, both Georgetown and Marquette also have lay Presidents. Look it up.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:52 pm

Next

Return to Men's Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests