Favorite Player / Best Player

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Favorite Player / Best Player

Postby udballer » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:34 pm

In an effort to lighten the mood during a miserable season, how about we get a fun loving thread going. Not sure exactly what the topic should be, or if it even matters, but let's start talking basketball.

I'm going to start by posting my personal favorite player at each level.

High School: In March, 1991, I was in the 7th Grade. Growing up in the UP, this was a very good year for local basketball. I was able to see Todd Lindeman (future Indiana center) play that year and it made me start to realize what high caliber basketball was supposed to look like. On the strength of that, my dad and uncle scored 4 tickets to take my cousin and I to my first MHSAA Finals. I was pumped because I knew the odds were great that I'd get to see Chris Webber play. I did, and he was great. That said, what actually happened was I got to see my favorite high school player (ever) compete in the Class A final, where Perry Watson and Detroit Southwestern defeated an overmatched Detroit Northern squad. My favorite player, without question, is Katu Davis of Northern. He was fighting an uphill battle facing Jalen Rose and Voshon Lenard, but he single-handedly took both men into the paint and scored somewhere around 34 points that day. His only help was a frosh named Leonard Bush... and it wasn't enough. Katu was a solid contributor at SG for 4 years at the Univ. of Georgia.

College: Now this is a bit of a toss up. Again, I REALLY started paying attention to college basketball right around 1990... so my favorite players are generally from the early 90s. Growing up an Ohio State fan out of sheer randomness, this timeframe of Buckeye basketball is synonymous with Jimmy Jackson. I've still not seen another SG/SF at the college level that I would definitively rather have on my team than Jackson. He was a terrific team player who was fantastic at moving without the ball and was never scared of taking the big shot.

Runners-up:

Rodney Rogers - Wake Forest. Rogers played alot of games at Wake and, unless my memory fails me, scored less than double digits in a game only once... when he had 9.

Randolph Childress - Wake Forest. I guess I liked Wake alot too. If you've never seen the "get up" hand motion when crossing over Jeff McInnis... head out to YouTube now. :) Childress showed up in big games.

Anfernee Hardaway - Memphis State. If you saw Penny play in college, which I'm sure most of have, it's nearly impossible to argue his greatness. He did everything.

NBA: Xavier McDaniel. The X-Man. Nuff said. I've boycotted NBA basketball since they took my Sonics away. No S***. Haven't paid attention to a single game
udballer
Senior

Re: Favorite Player / Best Player

Postby Motor City Sam » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:02 am

Great idea for a thread. I'm sticking with guys I saw play live.

High School:
Best player I saw was probably Steve Smith at Pershing. Played like a man among men, even against talented teams like Detroit Southwestern. Saw him toss a basketball off the backboard while running a one on two fast break against the Prospectors in a game at Calihan and his two handed dunk brought the house down.
Favorite player was Eric Turner of Flint Central. One of the best passers I ever saw at the high school level. Kept that Flint Central team humming like a sewing machine.
Honorable mention: Derrick Coleman, Terry Mills, Fred Cofield (Ypsilanti High School), Phil Ford.

College:
Best player was Magic Johnson. 'Nuff said.
Favorite player was John "Eddie" Long. Automatic when open, could almost score at will. Long rangy, prototype body for a shooting guard.
Honorable mention: Hersey Hawkins, Terry Tyler, Terry Duerod.

NBA:
Best: Kareem Abdul Jabbar. Gets overlooked in the "best of all time conversations, but was a dominant player the majority of his career and finished as the game's all time leading scorer. Had the most unstoppable shot in the history of the game, but could score on a variety of moves.
Favorite: John Long again. Loved that he came to the hometown Pistons to begin his career.
Honorable Mention: Bob Lanier, Norm Nixon, Dr. J, The Iceman, and a lot of others. :-)
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:03 am

udballer wrote:Randolph Childress - Wake Forest. I guess I liked Wake alot too. If you've never seen the "get up" hand motion when crossing over Jeff McInnis... head out to YouTube now. :) Childress showed up in big games.

If I was Jeff McInnis, I would do everything in my power to make sure people didn't see that clip, including murder.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby udballer » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:15 am

Thanks for chiming in, Sam.

Steve Smith, though not my favorite Spartan of all time, was an absolute stud all the way through college. It was basically a toss up as to who would win Big Ten POY between him and Jackson.

My buddy (Spartan grad) and I have an ongoing debate about who was better between the two. It's been ongoing for a little over a decade now. It's actually scary how similar their stats are all the way through their NBA careers.

For the record, I was a big fan of Shawn Respert.

Another random opinion... The best ball handler I've seen at the high school level was Torrey Gist of 1995 state champion Flint Northern. Funny to think that Cleaves was not the PG on that team. Gist was a 1-man press breaker.
udballer
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:49 am

Like Sam, I'll limit it to guys I saw play live. I'm sure that on another day I
Might pick different guys.
High school:
Favorite: Steve Deller, cause he was a friend. Played college at Lake Superior State.
Best: John long. I remember what I think was a 1973 district final. Long and Romulus against an Allen Park team hat featured the original Moose, 6-11 Sr center Tom "big Igor" Agardy (who played at Wisconsin), 6-9 soph F and future Titan Eric "little Igor" Agardy, and a real good guard named Jim Perry, who played college ball for guy Lewis at Houston. Long was amazing. It seemed like he scored 50 Points, tho it probably at least 15 fewer.

College:
Favorite: I'm tempted to say Long, but I'll go with Sweet Due.
Best: gotta be Magic, even over Spencer Haywood I think. Or maybe not--gosh, Haywood was a great college player. Ok ,it's Hayward.

Pro:
Favorite: Bingo! Or maybe DeBusschere.
Best: gotta be Jordan, over bird.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:13 am

High School: Mike Warren - South Bend Central - UCLA and, of course, Bobby Hill on Hill Street Blues.

College: Spencer Haywood - 30 points a game 20 rebounds a game average for a season. He and any one other person could beat our current team.

Pro: Meadowlark Lemon - never saw him play where I didn't go home with a huge smile on my face.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:34 am

High School: Sweet Due outdueling Bruce Flowers, who went to ND, in State Quarters at Calihan.
College: Thunder. The most exciting, most geniune guy to ever play the game. I fell in love with Titan Territory in High School, before I became a student, watching him play the game he loved with so much energy and raw emotion. By the time he soared through the Titan Hoop (later upgraded to Titan Vision) with the lights dimmed, we were already in a frenzy. Then he would graze Calihan's ceiling with his arms extended and it was time to rock the Hall on another cold winter night, sweating from all the bodies jammed into the Arena, Dickie V dancing and cajoling, T smiling as he swatted another 7-footers shot into the hands of Titan Ben in the last row of the bleachers.
Runnersup: JJ and Rashad. The first was the best Winner I've ever seen, more than once he outdueled that celebrated MSU PG whose NBA career was actually much shorter than JJ's. Rashad is/was Rashad. Worth the price of admission all by himself. Amazing basketball player who used his (lack of) height to his advantage.
Pro: Tyler and Long together as Pistons for so many years. What a special treat; to get to watch and follow their long NBA careers from up close.
Runnerup: Willie Green. Class Act all the time.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby TerryTylerFan » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:07 am

Fun topic. I’ll also stick with games I’ve seen live.

High school: I don’t get to very many high school games, but I did see Ray Jr. 3 times and he was the best I can remember. While not a game, I did sneak into a closed scrimmage in high school for a few minutes and saw Bubbles Hawkins from Pershing streak down the floor and make a move I haven’t seen since - from the left side (he was a lefty) well outside of the paint, he quickly switched to his right hand and just flipped it underhanded behind the defender and high off the glass for a basket. Sort of like a Gervin finger roll, but from pretty far out. Just because he could. Hard to describe, but amazing.

College best: Steph Curry at Ford Field in 2008, part of his great 4-game 32.0 point average tournament run
Favorite: Terry Tyler (of course)
Most fun to watch: Doug Anderson (had to make up a category to get Doug in there)

Pro bests: Kareem’s skyhook, LeBron’s 25 straight points in the playoffs
Favorite: Bob Lanier. Good times at Cobo Arena ($1.50 student tickets!)
TerryTylerFan
Senior

Postby udballer » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:31 pm

TerryTylerFan wrote:Fun topic. I’ll also stick with games I’ve seen live.

High school: I don’t get to very many high school games, but I did see Ray Jr. 3 times and he was the best I can remember. While not a game, I did sneak into a closed scrimmage in high school for a few minutes and saw Bubbles Hawkins from Pershing streak down the floor and make a move I haven’t seen since - from the left side (he was a lefty) well outside of the paint, he quickly switched to his right hand and just flipped it underhanded behind the defender and high off the glass for a basket. Sort of like a Gervin finger roll, but from pretty far out. Just because he could. Hard to describe, but amazing.

College best: Steph Curry at Ford Field in 2008, part of his great 4-game 32.0 point average tournament run
Favorite: Terry Tyler (of course)
Most fun to watch: Doug Anderson (had to make up a category to get Doug in there)

Pro bests: Kareem’s skyhook, LeBron’s 25 straight points in the playoffs
Favorite: Bob Lanier. Good times at Cobo Arena ($1.50 student tickets!)

There's always a reason to sneak Doug Anderson into the discussion. He scored some of the loudest high school points that I've ever seen. He looked like Dominique Wilkins found his way into a high school game with some of his dunks.

In the state quarterfinal game his senior year, he blocked someone's shot onto the scorers table at center court. Lol. Nobody else has ever been like Doug.
udballer
Senior

Postby sacredheartgreg » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:42 pm

Best High School Players (seen live)-can't name one, but here are some that I can remember that had an impact on me:

Antoine "The Judge" Joubert- prolific scorer and dynamic high school player
Mark Macon -Saginaw Buena Vista
Terrance Williams-Ecorse, he could fly man! Played at U of Minnesota.
Demetrious Gore- Chadsey
Dan Geoghegan- Dearborn Divine Child-the perfect 6-5 swingman
Shane Battier and Ray McCallum - DCD
Reggie Smith-Aquinas High School
Mark Kraatz - Inner City Baptist
Josh Jackson-Detroit Consortium
College- Larry Bird , Ernie Digregorio (Providence) and James "Fly" Williams from Austin Peay (The Fly is open,Let's go Pee)
The Pros--Simple!!The Doctor, Julius Erving in the ABA
sacredheartgreg
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:21 pm

Favorite player: Ray McCallum Jr.
Favorite coach: Ray McCallum Sr.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:30 pm

sacredheartgreg wrote:Best High School Players (seen live)-can't name one, but here are some that I can remember that had an impact on me:

Antoine "The Judge" Joubert- prolific scorer and dynamic high school player
Mark Macon -Saginaw Buena Vista
Terrance Williams-Ecorse, he could fly man! Played at U of Minnesota.
Demetrious Gore- Chadsey
Dan Geoghegan- Dearborn Divine Child-the perfect 6-5 swingman
Shane Battier and Ray McCallum - DCD
Reggie Smith-Aquinas High School
Mark Kraatz - Inner City Baptist
Josh Jackson-Detroit Consortium
College- Larry Bird , Ernie Digregorio (Providence) and James "Fly" Williams from Austin Peay (The Fly is open,Let's go Pee)
The Pros--Simple!!The Doctor, Julius Erving in the ABA

Great list!
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:38 pm

John McIntyre was an amazing prepster. Pretty good in his one year at U-D, as well.

Regarding McIntyre's Coach: If anyone runs into Sicko again at a game, ask him about D. Gore. If he tells you the truth, you'll never find it possible to root for Pittsburgh again. Gore was at every Titan Game during his Junior and Senior Seasons before heading to Steel City and getting an early start on his professional career.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:24 pm

uofdfan1983 wrote:John McIntyre was an amazing prepster. Pretty good in his one year at U-D, as well.

Regarding McIntyre's Coach: If anyone runs into Sicko again at a game, ask him about D. Gore. If he tells you the truth, you'll never find it possible to root for Pittsburgh again. Gore was at every Titan Game during his Junior and Senior Seasons before heading to Steel City and getting an early start on his professional career.

I am pretty sure we all know what Pitt$burg did to get Gore. ;) My older brother was good buddies with Demetrius Gore's younger brother Gabriel, who is now a successful attorney in Missouri.
Many players/potential recruits often attend multiple titan home games and never matriculate at UDM. I understand that historic Calihan Hall is the best venue in the state to watch a basketball game, but if I wasn't a fan, and was a hot shot basketball recruit, I think I would find something better to do on a Saturday night. 8-) I've mentioned this before on this board, there was a guy who attended every game during a season in the mid to late 1990's, I don't remember what season it was and we didn't have a message board then, but he was about 6'8 225lbs. with an NBA ready body, he was at all of the home games I attended, and I didn't miss many games back then, he looked just like Ruben Patterson of the Seattle Supersonics. He would sit a few rows behind the titans bench, or behind one of the baskets. I never figured out who he was, he didn't become a titan and I haven't seen him at Calihan since then.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... eru01.html

Here is my list:

High School-Antoine Joubert
College-Chris Webber
Pro-Isiah Thomas
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby udballer » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:07 pm

Adding to my list of one-time favorites to put some more names out there...

MHSAA
Correy Childs - Benton Harbor - Absolutely got screwed out of 1993 Mr. Basketball award by Jon Garavaglia
Antonio Smith - Flint Northern - It's no small feat to average more than 20 points and 20 rebounds per game when the games are only 32 minutes long.
Brent Darby - River Rouge - Go Buckeyes! and RIP Brent.

NCAA
LaBradford Smith - Louisville - The reason that I randomly asked my parents for a Louisville tee shirt one Christmas.
Parrish Casebier - Evansville - one of the single, best performances I can recall watching when he put 41 on LaPhonso Ellis and Note Dame. Too bad he turned out to be a tremendous d-bag.
Terry Dehere - Seton Hall
Todd Day - Arkansas
Khalid Reeves - Arizona
Allan Houston - Tennessee
Steve Logan - Cincinnati
Jamal Mashburn - Kentucky (before I hated Kentucky)
Trajan Langdon - Duke (even though I always hated Duke)
udballer
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:11 pm

High School Best: Chris Webber. I saw him play live once for Country Day and he was a man among boys.
High School Best: Chris Webber. Yeah, I was impressed.
Other Best: Antoine Joubert.
Other Favorite: John Long.

College Best: Magic Johnson...I wanted to pick a Titan, but Magic was incredible.
College Favorite: Spencer Haywood. I only saw him play as a professional but he was unreal as a college player.
Other Best: Pete Maravich. Lew Alcindor. Good stuff out of Baton Rouge and Westwood when I was a kid.
Other Favorites: Rasheed Wallace.

Professional Best: Isaiah Thomas. I'm biased but I fell in love this guy's toughness and win at all cost attitude.
Professional Favorite: Marvin "Bad News" Barnes. Never a dull moment.
Other Best: Pete Maravich, Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Bill Russell.
Other Favorites: Dennis Rodman, Rasheed Wallace.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:28 am

Best I saw in high school: James Worthy, playing against a legendary De Matha team. He was a man among boys but was playing two on five.

Favorite Titan: Terry Tyler.

Favorite college player: I remember following Lew Alcindor, but Pete Maravich was a magician, a revolutionary.

Favorite player I wish I'd seen in college: Spencer Haywood. I saw him in the Olympics, but I wish I'd seen him play as a Titan.

Favorite Titan I saw: Owen Wells had Paris Bass skills but played as a teammate and all four years. Tied with Frank Russell.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:39 am

I note the recency bias in my selection, but I'm also in my 30's so a little younger than some on the board...

High School: I saw Cassius Winston play a bunch over his last 3 years at UD HIgh. I'm a proud Cub alum so seeing his magnificent Senior year and bringing a state title to UDJ was alot of fun. He was just dominant and controlled the games and made maximum use of his supporting cast.

College: Tyler Hansbrough -- Saw him play live probably about 30 times total. He was a 4 year all american college stud. The ACC and UNC record books were rewritten by what he did. He was Mr Consistent and put up 20 and 10 each night, and shot well from the FT line which helps for a big guy that is getting hammered all the time. He was such a fun college player to watch, although I recognize towards the end non-UNC fans had Hansbrough fatigue. I was thrilled to score final four seats in 2009 (in the UDM section) to see him win the national title in person.

College #2: Rashad Phillips -- what a talent all around. He was flashy yes, but he also made plays and made shots. Every time he shot you thought it was going in. He also extracted every ounce of talent from his diminutive frame and he played all out, all the time. AND, he won. He won alot. The late 90's was a GREAT time to be a Titan and so much of that was due to RP3.

Pro: Isiah and Rodman were my favorite Pistons growing up. Each of them were so hard nosed and played all out. Such fierce competitors that did whatever it took to win.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:02 pm

TitanTarHeel wrote:I note the recency bias in my selection, but I'm also in my 30's so a little younger than some on the board...

High School: I saw Cassius Winston play a bunch over his last 3 years at UD HIgh. I'm a proud Cub alum so seeing his magnificent Senior year and bringing a state title to UDJ was alot of fun. He was just dominant and controlled the games and made maximum use of his supporting cast.

College: Tyler Hansbrough -- Saw him play live probably about 30 times total. He was a 4 year all american college stud. The ACC and UNC record books were rewritten by what he did. He was Mr Consistent and put up 20 and 10 each night, and shot well from the FT line which helps for a big guy that is getting hammered all the time. He was such a fun college player to watch, although I recognize towards the end non-UNC fans had Hansbrough fatigue. I was thrilled to score final four seats in 2009 (in the UDM section) to see him win the national title in person.

College #2: Rashad Phillips -- what a talent all around. He was flashy yes, but he also made plays and made shots. Every time he shot you thought it was going in. He also extracted every ounce of talent from his diminutive frame and he played all out, all the time. AND, he won. He won alot. The late 90's was a GREAT time to be a Titan and so much of that was due to RP3.

Pro: Isiah and Rodman were my favorite Pistons growing up. Each of them were so hard nosed and played all out. Such fierce competitors that did whatever it took to win.

These are all good choices. But Marvin Barnes was a lunatic (and I say that in the nicest way), he made Rodman look like William F. Buckley, and very fun to watch. Constant hi-jinks and I loved it. :D
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:06 pm

From Wikipedia:

"Barnes' nickname "Bad News" came from his frequent off-court problems, which began when he was a senior at Central High School.[2] He was part of a gang that attempted to rob a bus. He was quickly identified as he was wearing his state championship jacket with his name embroidered on it. His case was handled by the juvenile justice system. In 1972, while playing center for Providence College, he attacked a teammate with a tire iron. He later pleaded guilty to assault, paid the victim $10,000 and was placed on probation. He violated probation in October 1976 when an unloaded gun was found in his bag at the Detroit Metropolitan Airport, and served 152 days in Rhode Island state prison.[3] Upon release he returned to the Detroit Pistons. He was arrested for burglary, drug possession, and trespassing.[4] Because of his drug use, his NBA career was cut short and he wound up homeless in San Diego in the early 1980s. After several rehab programs, he started reaching out to youth in South Providence, where he grew up, urging them not to make the same mistakes he had."

Could happen to anyone. I think at the end, he found a measure of peace. For that I'm glad.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball