Favorite Player / Best Player

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Favorite Player / Best Player

Postby udballer » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:53 pm

To keep the thread alive... I also always liked Lawrence Moten (Syracuse). Can't remember why though. Maybe it was the high socks.
udballer
Senior

Postby udballer » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:26 am

It's been more than 12 hours since the last post on these boards? That sucks.

Kenny Anderson - Georgia Tech
udballer
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:05 pm

I got you baller...

I was into ACC hoops growing up randomly. I just loved the passion and level of play of UNC, Duke, UVA, Wake, etc. One of the guys I tracked closely was Harold Dean at UVA from the mid 90's I remember just liking how he played, he was all around talented and had a nice shot. Put up over 1700 points in his career.

The 95-96 UVA team made it to the Elite 8 before losing to Arkansas. That Arkansas team was led by (enjoy some of these blast from past names): Corliss Williamson, Scotty Thurman and Clint McDaniel. Arkansas team beat UNC in the final four (a team that had Sophmore studs Rasheed and Jerry Stackhouse), and then lost to UCLA in the title game. Some great hoops and great names from back in the day, this was all on the eve of the real epidemic of players turning pro early.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby udballer » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:50 pm

Thanks for stepping up, TTH. I believe that the year you are describing was actually 94-95 though because I recall it pretty well... all the way through Tyus Edney's shot to beat Arkansas for the title. Good memories.

Strangely enough, I also paid pretty close attention to that Virginia team... so I remember Deane fairly well. However, I believe that I was paying more attention to Corey Alexander. Alexander was interesting to me for two reasons. 1) I don't recall ever seeing a player dribble between their legs quite as much as Alexander did. 2) Corey wore his shorts so ungodly baggy that it was amazing that the ball didn't get stuck in them when he dribbled through his legs... it was borderline magical. He was an excellent player, regardless. Ended up averaging 17 points, 5.5 assists and 4 rebounds that year.

Shortly after, Virginia introduced the world to Curtis Staples... the original Max Hooper. That guy never saw a 3 pointer he didn't like. He didn't take it to the level of absurdity that Hooper did, though. :)
udballer
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:24 pm

udballer wrote:It's been more than 12 hours since the last post on these boards? That sucks.

I'm suffering from PTSD due to last weekend's games. But with therapy and medication there's every reason to believe I'll recover by the next game.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby udballer » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:47 am

MooseGuy1 wrote:
udballer wrote:It's been more than 12 hours since the last post on these boards? That sucks.

I'm suffering from PTSD due to last weekend's games. But with therapy and medication there's every reason to believe I'll recover by the next game.

Understood, Moose. I think the majority of people are suffering from the same. At this point, the activity on this message board matches the attendance at our home games. :shock:

P.S. God Shammgod - Providence, Lamond Murray - Cal & Rodney Monroe - NC State
udballer
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:31 am

Good call baller, I was off a year there on the ncaa tourney info. I was continuing to dig into a hole of interesting info online and lost track of where I started haha.

For some reason I always remember our old friends at Xavier - including their 2 frontline guys of Brian Grant and Tyrone Hill from around 1990. They were dominant up front as they trampled the MCC before moving along to the A10. Around that time, we seemed to nip Xavier somewhat regularly (or so my feeble memories tell me).

Staying in the time period...Despite eventually becoming a Carolina alum, I was a big fan of Grant Hill when he was at Duke. Great all around player, plus always came across as a good guy. I also liked Bobby Hurley's grit and ability to do everything to win. He was just a flat out winner. Sadly, his floor slapping was passed on to next generation annoying Dukies -- highlighted by the little twerp Steve Wojo.

Since I've digressed this far...Michigan State picked up on the floor slapping 5 or 10 years ago. Someone on twitter was tracking for a while what happened on floor-slap possessions and in general opponents scored more on those possessions thus implying the floor slap was a negative to defense.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby sacredheartgreg » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:43 am

Godd Shamgodd- awesome pick. Here are some crowd pleasers that I loved to follow (from the brilliant basketball mind of SHG).

College- Chris Herren-Fresno State, Easy Ed Ratleff-LBSU, Bo Kimble-Loyola Marymount, Dwight "Bo Pete" Lamar-SWLS, Jimmer Fredette, and perhaps the greatest or most talented ever- Len Bias (what a player)

Pro's - 2 unconscious gunners from the early 1980's - Purvis Short and Freeman Williams.
sacredheartgreg
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:13 pm

sacredheartgreg wrote:Godd Shamgodd- awesome pick. Here are some crowd pleasers that I loved to follow (from the brilliant basketball mind of SHG).

College- Chris Herren-Fresno State, Easy Ed Ratleff-LBSU, Bo Kimble-Loyola Marymount, Dwight "Bo Pete" Lamar-SWLS, Jimmer Fredette, and perhaps the greatest or most talented ever- Len Bias (what a player)

Pro's - 2 unconscious gunners from the early 1980's - Purvis Short and Freeman Williams.

You're playing my song, Greg.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:32 pm

Making this a little more personal, here are some point guards that I studied closely to help me be a better point guard when I was in middle school and high school. I'm dating myself with this list.

College players:
1. Wilbert McCormick. Detroit Titans, ran a talented team to near perfection.
2. Clyde Bradshaw, DePaul. Read the floor, got better each year, and got the ball where it needed to be.
3. Phil Ford, North Carolina. The master. Great scorer and passer. Floor general supreme.
4. Jimmy Black, North Carolina. Not a big scorer, but never took a bad shot and triggered the offense.
5. Eric Turner, Michigan. Dynamic passer, either in the half court or on the fast break.

Pro players:
1. Kevin Porter, Detroit Pistons. Averaged 8 assists per game for his career, in an era where they weren't so free to give out assists. One year with the Pistons he averaged 15 points and 13 assists per game.
2. Norm Nixon, Lakers and Clippers. Ran point for the Lakers until Magic arrived, and adapted his game to accommodate the rookie. Also gets props for marrying the beautiful Debbie Allen.
3. Maurice Cheeks, Sixers. Kept the Sixers humming.
4. Eric Money, Detroit Pistons. I tried to copy that ten foot jumper that he made a living with in the NBA for years. Never quite got it down.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby udballer » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:26 pm

Well done, guys. This is the true spirit of this thread.

Michael Redd - Ohio State
udballer
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:23 pm

Motor City Sam wrote:Making this a little more personal, here are some point guards that I studied closely to help me be a better point guard when I was in middle school and high school. I'm dating myself with this list.

College players:
1. Wilbert McCormick. Detroit Titans, ran a talented team to near perfection.
2. Clyde Bradshaw, DePaul. Read the floor, got better each year, and got the ball where it needed to be.
3. Phil Ford, North Carolina. The master. Great scorer and passer. Floor general supreme.
4. Jimmy Black, North Carolina. Not a big scorer, but never took a bad shot and triggered the offense.
5. Eric Turner, Michigan. Dynamic passer, either in the half court or on the fast break.

Pro players:
1. Kevin Porter, Detroit Pistons. Averaged 8 assists per game for his career, in an era where they weren't so free to give out assists. One year with the Pistons he averaged 15 points and 13 assists per game.
2. Norm Nixon, Lakers and Clippers. Ran point for the Lakers until Magic arrived, and adapted his game to accommodate the rookie. Also gets props for marrying the beautiful Debbie Allen.
3. Maurice Cheeks, Sixers. Kept the Sixers humming.
4. Eric Money, Detroit Pistons. I tried to copy that ten foot jumper that he made a living with in the NBA for years. Never quite got it down.

Memory Lane^^^

"Two for the Money!"

Good deal for Norm Nixon. :D
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:31 pm

udballer wrote:Well done, guys. This is the true spirit of this thread.

Michael Redd - Ohio State

It is a great idea for a thread.

Redd was NICE.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby UDDRUMMER » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:18 am

Rashad Phillips
I got a fever..the only prescription is more COWBELL!

UDM Alum Class of 2012
http://youtu.be/fyV2cPLuFuA
UDDRUMMER
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:57 am

TitanTarHeel wrote:Good call baller, I was off a year there on the ncaa tourney info. I was continuing to dig into a hole of interesting info online and lost track of where I started haha.

For some reason I always remember our old friends at Xavier - including their 2 frontline guys of Brian Grant and Tyrone Hill from around 1990. They were dominant up front as they trampled the MCC before moving along to the A10. Around that time, we seemed to nip Xavier somewhat regularly (or so my feeble memories tell me).

Staying in the time period...Despite eventually becoming a Carolina alum, I was a big fan of Grant Hill when he was at Duke. Great all around player, plus always came across as a good guy. I also liked Bobby Hurley's grit and ability to do everything to win. He was just a flat out winner. Sadly, his floor slapping was passed on to next generation annoying Dukies -- highlighted by the little twerp Steve Wojo.

Since I've digressed this far...Michigan State picked up on the floor slapping 5 or 10 years ago. Someone on twitter was tracking for a while what happened on floor-slap possessions and in general opponents scored more on those possessions thus implying the floor slap was a negative to defense.

The Steve Wojo floor slapping days were some of my darkest memories of college basketball. Probably my least favorite player to ever attend Duke. That's a tough list to crack, let alone headline.
udballer
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:22 pm

uofdfan1983 wrote:John McIntyre was an amazing prepster. Pretty good in his one year at U-D, as well.

Regarding McIntyre's Coach: If anyone runs into Sicko again at a game, ask him about D. Gore. If he tells you the truth, you'll never find it possible to root for Pittsburgh again. Gore was at every Titan Game during his Junior and Senior Seasons before heading to Steel City and getting an early start on his professional career.

I didn't remember what exactly happened during Gores recruitment, so I obtained a free trial to newspapers.com. In the May 10th 1984 edition of the Detroit Free Press, Mick McCabe interviewed Gore after he announced that he would be attending Pittsburgh. Gore stated that he "really,really, wanted to go to UofD, but his parents wanted him to go to Missourri". So he chose neither school and decided to go to Pittsburgh. Gore would've put up huge numbers at UofD and would've been a Titan legend.
R.B.J1
Senior

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball