UIC Flames Preview and Game Thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

UIC Flames Preview and Game Thread

Postby Motor City Sam » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:13 pm

Just the basics. More information later.

What: Titans vs Flames
Where: Historic Calihan Hall
When: Sunday, February 4, 2018. 2:00 PM
Radio: 910 AM
Television: WADL Channel 38 and ESPN 3
Records: Detroit 7-17, 3-8. UIC 13-11, 8-3.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Re: UIC Flames Preview and Game Thread

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:16 pm

I think we might sell out the hall tomorrow. Seems like everyone is talking about a "Big Game" happening tomorrow. I assume they must be referring to Detroit Mercy v UIC hoops.
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:18 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I think we might sell out the hall tomorrow. Seems like everyone is talking about a "Big Game" happening tomorrow. I assume they must be referring to Detroit Mercy v UIC hoops.

Yeah, lots of my friends are going to parties for it.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:53 pm

I heard that the weather will be cold and snowy for the big game. WWJ is calling for 3-6 inches of snow. I heard it on the radio for today. And tickets on the secondary market are starting at $5000. That IUPUI victory has sure rejuvenated everyone.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:12 am

Sunday afternoon the Titans host a familiar foe, the UIC Flames. The Titans come in on a high, having broken their losing streak with a 14 point win over IUPUI. The Flames are flying even higher, with a five game winning streak.

We know the Flames like they know us. They've been a conference foe since the 1994-95 season when they moved up from the (you guessed it) Mid Continent Conference. The Flames have actually been playing basketball since the 1947-48 season and have reached the NCAA tournament three times, most recently in 2004. The best period of UIC success was during the 14 year reign of head coach Jimmy Collins. Coach Collins took the Flames to their three NCAA tournament appearances and also reached the NIT once.

The Flames are in the third year with head coach Steve McClain. His first year record was 5-25, but year two saw improvement to 17-19 and a CBI berth. Hopes were high this season, particularly with scorer Dikembe Dixson returning after missing almost all of last year with a knee injury, but the Flames got off to a slow start. They went 5-8 during the non-conference season, and two of those wins were to none D1 teams. However, UIC hit their stride in HL play and are currently 8-3 in conference and riding that five game winning streak.

Probably Starters:
Tai Odiase. 6-9, 220 senior center. 9 points, 6 rebounds, 3 blocks per game. During the OU/UIC telecast last night, the play by play guy said that Tai was the leading shot blocker in UIC history. I have no reason to doubt it.
Dikembe Dixson. 6-7, 200 redshirt sophomore forward. 13 points, 4 rebounds. Dixson's game isn't at the level it was before he suffered that bad knee injury early last season. He's had a very up and down year, and didn't score against Oakland on Friday.
Jordan Blount. 6-8, 200 sophomore forward. Faith and begorrah, he's from Cork Ireland. 6 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists. Not much of a scoring threat, but rangy and a good rebounder.
Tarkus Ferguson. 6-4 sophomore guard. 9 points, 4 rebounds, 5 assists. Getting back in the flow after missing several games with injury. Ferguson got 13, 9, and 7 against OU.
Marcus Ottey. 6-2 sophomore guard. 13 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists. Marcus is following up a solid freshman season with an even better sophomore season. He's a solid shooter at 54%, 35%, and 80%. Marcus had a lot of high major interest before committing to UIC, and you can see why as you watch him play.

Key Reserves:

Clint Robinson. 6-8, 235 senior forward. 5 points, 4 rebounds, 1 block. Doesn't shoot much, but usually makes it when he does, and is a 76% free throw shooter.
Michael Diggins. 6-8 freshman forward. 2 points, 2 rebounds.
Godwin Boahen. 5-11 sophomore guard. 9 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists. Career 45% three point shooter. Hit 16 points against OU and was the difference in the game.
Dominique Matthews. 6-2 sophomore guard. 9 points, 2 rebounds.

ESPN's power index gives UIC a 60% chance to win this game, and you can see why. UIC has a better record, better wins, and is on a hot streak. On the plus side for the Titans, the game is at home, where they have won their other conference games, and the Flames are coming off of an emotional, draining victory less than 48 hours before Sunday's tip. Perhaps the Titans can catch the Flames on a letdown. You never know.

Go Titans.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:05 pm

Titans lead 15-12 at the under 12 media timeout.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:35 pm

At the half, it's UIC 43 Detroit 37. Josh and Prince leads the Titans with 14 points each.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:42 pm

The Titans are playing well again. I feel this is the best TEAM the Titans have put on the floor all year. They move the ball and are aggressive on defense. Even though they are down, they are playing well.

Again, no one is here to watch this game.
Titans96
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:51 pm

All that hype about a huge halftime show and ESPN3 didn't even show it. Lame.
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:17 pm

The Titans stopped using the zone, not the best idea of the coaching staff. Plus Eichler is terrible, even worse than Ballantyne.
Titans96
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:32 pm

If Chatman had just an average game we would have won.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:38 pm

Chatman has had a good game. He may have a double double. The problem is the coaches abandoned the zone and went man-to-man, tiring the players. Bad call by the coaching staff.
Titans96
Senior

Postby sacredheartgreg » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:41 pm

What game are you watching! He couldn't throw a beach ball into the ocean. Someone needs to tell him he is 6'-9" and not to be such a wuss underneath the basket!
sacredheartgreg
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:53 pm

Resurget Cineribus wrote:If Chatman had just an average game we would have won.

Chatman had a really bad game and should have sat. He is an extremely selfish player. We had a 3 on one with McFolley wide open for a three. Chatman had the ball with the defender on him and forced a 3 of his own. Is it just me or does Chatman usually run out of gas in the second half? Team played better than I thought they would. UIC has a lot of athletes sort of like the way we used to be when we recruited Athletes instead of dribblers.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:04 pm

Granted he missed every 3 point attempt he made. He also was the leading rebounder on the team. He was exhausted and that hurt his shooting. That’s why the coaches should have stuck with the zone instead of going man-to-man. When a player is exhausted he has a hard time shooting properly, and that happened to Chatman.

The coaches need to know what the players on the court can and can’t do. We have really bad coaches, and they really do not understand the game of basketball or how to coach a team playing that game.
Titans96
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:05 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:
Resurget Cineribus wrote:If Chatman had just an average game we would have won.

Chatman had a really bad game and should have sat. He is an extremely selfish player. We had a 3 on one with McFolley wide open for a three. Chatman had the ball with the defender on him and forced a 3 of his own. Is it just me or does Chatman usually run out of gas in the second half? Team played better than I thought they would. UIC has a lot of athletes sort of like the way we used to be when we recruited Athletes instead of dribblers.

Chatman and JJJr. are two of the most selfish titans I have seen in my 35 years of following titan basketball. I rank him #2, right behind JJJr.

Greedy Titans
#1. JJJr.
#2. K.Chatman
#3. X.Keeling
#3.C.Simon
#5.T.Tolbert
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:26 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:Chatman and JJJr. are two of the most selfish titans I have seen in my 35 years of following titan basketball. I rank him #2, right behind JJJr.

Greedy Titans
#1. JJJr.
#2. K.Chatman
#3. X.Keeling
#3.C.Simon
#5.T.Tolbert

I pretty much have the same 5 but I list them as follows.
#1 Keeling (also worst attitude)
#2 Simon
#3 Chatman
#4 T. Tolbert
#5 JJJ
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:36 pm

This is getting interesting, at least.

1) The starting lineup MUST be the same as it was today on Friday Night at the Orena, with JJJ and Allen both back.
2) The team of the floor today compliments itself pretty well. It needs: 1) a legit rebounder in the middle. as Ballantyne and Eichler are both still too soft AND 2) one more scoring threat (Allen when he's on). We can easily take care of one of our two shortcomings if we play as a team.
3) This team needs high-energy teamwork where guys give it their all and play to win whether they are out there 10 minutes or 39. This was displayed this weekend by Dre and Long, who did all kinds of little things. They both played too many minutes today (out of necessity) but their minutes should not drop below 20 on Friday unless they start stinking out the joint. They are GLUE guys and we needs lots more glue on this team.
4) The only reason I don't blame Chatman too much for what happened today is that we didn't have many scoring options available. We basically had 3 scorers on the floor today: Chatman, Josh and Prince. When the 2 guards come back, if Chatman is off, he just needs to distribute the ball. His legs were dead today after playing 38 minutes Friday Night.
5) Josh and Dre proved today that they can run the show. JJJ doesn't NEED to be out there. Sub Allen in first but keep Josh (or Dre) in the game when you do. If Allen keeps with the gameplan, let him keep playing. If not, try JJJ. Same rule applies with him. Do NOT let either of them poison what happened this weekend.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:49 pm

Agree completely.

Plus slow the game down. More zone.
Titans96
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:56 pm

uofdfan1983 wrote:This is getting interesting, at least.

1) The starting lineup MUST be the same as it was today on Friday Night at the Orena, with JJJ and Allen both back.
2) The team of the floor today compliments itself pretty well. It needs: 1) a legit rebounder in the middle. as Ballantyne and Eichler are both still too soft AND 2) one more scoring threat (Allen when he's on). We can easily take care of one of our two shortcomings if we play as a team.
3) This team needs high-energy teamwork where guys give it their all and play to win whether they are out there 10 minutes or 39. This was displayed this weekend by Dre and Long, who did all kinds of little things. They both played too many minutes today (out of necessity) but their minutes should not drop below 20 on Friday unless they start stinking out the joint. They are GLUE guys and we needs lots more glue on this team.
4) The only reason I don't blame Chatman too much for what happened today is that we didn't have many scoring options available. We basically had 3 scorers on the floor today: Chatman, Josh and Prince. When the 2 guards come back, if Chatman is off, he just needs to distribute the ball. His legs were dead today after playing 38 minutes Friday Night.
5) Josh and Dre proved today that they can run the show. JJJ doesn't NEED to be out there. Sub Allen in first but keep Josh (or Dre) in the game when you do. If Allen keeps with the gameplan, let him keep playing. If not, try JJJ. Same rule applies with him. Do NOT let either of them poison what happened this weekend.

Dre Black was a good game manager today. He did nothing spectacular, but he ran the offense. If he was a half step faster, he would could start for us. Cole Long is improving and I like his hustle.
R.B.J1
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball