UIC Flames Preview and Game Thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: UIC Flames Preview and Game Thread

Postby Motor City Sam » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:18 pm

Big Chuck wrote:
Motor City Sam wrote:Official attendance was 1113. I only watched the recording on DVR, but once again that seemed way off. Anyone who was there have an estimate on the actual crowd size?

I counted 57 people sitting upstairs at tipoff. More came afterwards, but not many. I think 400 may be a little high.

Worst crowd I ever seen in the 50+ years I have been attending.
No enthusiasm either.

I don't know the answers, but we are getting close to irrelevancy on the Detroit sports scene.

57? Man...

I never would have predicted that attendance would fall this far in the next coaching era, but I also didn't expect our record to be this bad. Speaking as a guy who wore University of Detroit decals on my basketball shoes during games when I played in high school, this current situation breaks my heart.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:26 pm

Sam, I'm with you. This is just sad. Big Chuck counts 57 in the upper bowl. Let's optimistically assume three times that on the bleachers for 171. Add another 100 for those who came late or were buying snacks or were in the rest rooms and you still have a total of just 328. That's not even much of a high school crowd, much less Division 1 NCAA basketball.

I don't even know what to say other than to add that I can't see how this can continue before the university decides that maintaining a D-1 athletics program is not worth the bother. If no one comes and no one watches and no one cares, why spend the money? Advertisers have to be watching this, too. The Convocation Center in Ypsilanti feels like Cameron Indoor Stadium by comparison.

I've been fairly vocal in my belief that Bacari and staff deserve 3 years to get us pointed in the right direction. Then I think to myself, can we afford another year of this? It's painful and depressing to have this happening. The basketball team has been a great source of comfort in getting through what's usually a dreary time of year for me. To see this kind of fall off is shocking and sucks the fun right out of it.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby TerryTylerFan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:08 pm

Motor City Sam wrote:
Big Chuck wrote:
Motor City Sam wrote:Official attendance was 1113. I only watched the recording on DVR, but once again that seemed way off. Anyone who was there have an estimate on the actual crowd size?

I counted 57 people sitting upstairs at tipoff. More came afterwards, but not many. I think 400 may be a little high.

Worst crowd I ever seen in the 50+ years I have been attending.
No enthusiasm either.

I don't know the answers, but we are getting close to irrelevancy on the Detroit sports scene.

57? Man...

I never would have predicted that attendance would fall this far in the next coaching era, but I also didn't expect our record to be this bad. Speaking as a guy who wore University of Detroit decals on my basketball shoes during games when I played in high school, this current situation breaks my heart.

My little group of 3 arrived after tip-off, so there were at least 60 upstairs, but ... not a whole lot more than that. I agree that 400 is a high end estimate.

These last two games were fun to watch with good teamwork and some nice individual plays, but I have to believe that anyone who brought a first timer as a guest will have a harder time convincing them to come back than if there were even just another 1000 people there to create some noise and a more fun atmosphere.
TerryTylerFan
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:37 am

Terry Tyler Fan, I invited quite a few non-alums to games at Calihan during the McCallum years and a few of them became fans and still attend games. I don't think I would have as much success bringing people around this season.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby titanmac » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:04 pm

ypu guys do a lot more harm than good on this site. sad really.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby udballer » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:26 pm

What was the harm again? Was it because we could turn off all of the big-time recruits from joining the program? I think the attendance may be doing that already.
udballer
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:31 pm

titanmac wrote:ypu guys do a lot more harm than good on this site. sad really.

You may be right. We've all become "nattering nabobs of negativity". But lately it's hard to be positive. I've not been posting quite as much because I hate what's happening and probably, on one level, know that posting criticisms of the program isn't going to improve matters or make us an attractive destination for people looking for sports entertainment. I'll take what you say under advisement.

By the way, we will beat OU up in wherever it's at.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball