Oakland preview

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Oakland preview

Postby Commissioner » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:59 pm

Oakland

When: Friday, February 9, 9:00 p.m.
Where: The McRena
TV: ESPN 2
Radio: 910 AM

So Wally Pipp is back in the lineup.

Well, it's our big game on ESPN, a chance to show the nation what Titan basketball is all about. But it's not all bad news... ba dump!

I went over to the OU board to get the latest dope. Here's a little sampling of what they're saying:

Grizzlies96:
We're better off without Neely. Daddy's boy is afraid to shoot. We need some offensive production from our point guard. The coaches need to tell him he isn't allowed to pass until he scores a basket. This team is going nowhere as long as Dan Hipshir is around. Everyone knows that Konya forced Kampe to hire him. And it's not because he stole my girl in college. This is FACT.

Ptc grizzley:
everyone needs to understand that it takes time to get a system in place. Kampe has only been coaching here since 1984. These guys are still learning the system. Kendrick Nunn is only in his second year in the system. Same with Isaiah Brock. Jalen Hayes and Nick Daniels are only in their 5th seasons here. You do realize how long Larry Bird played for the Celtics? We shouldn't expect miracles.

MSUGrizzly1987:
the university doesn't get another dime from me until Jeff Konya is gone. .......... What's that? He's gone? Well then, Hipshir, too.

Commissar: [Commissioner's note: I won't quote the Commissar here because his post on the game is about 11,000 words plus an appendix. But skimming it, I think it basically uses a regression analysis to show that he Grizzlies have been whupping our a** for the last 5 years because they consistently score more points than we do in these games.]

Oakland County Cal:
I've got no problem with Kampe, I just think he should be held to the same standard as Lee Fredericks. And it's time to stop blaming Coach Lee when players become ineligible under GK. But GK deserves another year. Things can get a whole lot worse.

[Commish's note: I had to look it up to know what Cal was talking about, but apparently Lee Fredericks was coach at Oakland from 1978-1984.]

Grizzley Mick:
I disagree with whatever Cal says.

ElkGuy:
official ElkGuy prediction: Grizzlies 157, school down South 23.

Upbasketballfan:
Man, that's a long drive. When I left Escanaba Kay Felder was still on the team.

Actually, I did peruse the board at "GoldenGrizzlieHoops," and there's a lot of unhappiness there. We'd love to be sitting at 15-10, but in Grizzlieland, much more was expected this season. This was supposed to be the year. The Yellow Bears have a legit all-Big 10 caliber player in Kendrick Nunn, and in Martez "Melonhead" Walker, another P5 refugee who came to Oakland not because he couldn't cut it at that higher level, but because of off-court issues. Four of the top 6 rotation players (Nunn, Walker, 2x All-Conference forward Jalen Hayes, and 6th man Nick Daniels) are 5th year seniors, and they've also got a lot of maturity in 22 year old Afghan war veteran Isaiah Brock, one of the best defensive players and "glue guys" in the league. OU was a preseason darling of the mid-majors, getting votes in the AP pre-season poll and being an all-but unanimous selection to win the Horizon.

But the Bears have struggled, comparatively speaking, anyway. They enter Friday's action in 4th place, two and a half games behind third place UIC. And the fans are restless. There are indeed calls for Coach Kampe to resign, and a frustration that Kampe's teams never quite seem to live up to their talent. (That was, of course, much the critique leveled at a recent, former Titan coach). Kampe defenders say that injuries have decimated the team, and the Grizz have suffered their share of injuries this year. But that shouldn't be overstated. The key guys have been there. Nunn missed 3 games, and the Grizzlies won all three. Same for Brock. Hayes missed 4 games to start the year due to picayune NCAA rules and NCAA boneheadedness, and Oakland lost two of those, but those were tough road losses to Toledo and Syracuse. Toledo took 'em by 13, Syracuse by 24. Hayes certainly wouldn't have changed the result at Syracuse, and probably not at Toledo, either. They did lose backup center Brad Brechting for the year before the season started, and freshman wing James Beck has been nagged by injuries all season and appeared in fewer than half their games. Kampe also made the fateful decision before the year started to redshirt backup power forward Xavier Hii-Maas. Between Brechting then getting injured, and Brock and Hayes missing a few games each, Hill-Maas would likely have gotten plenty of PT this year, but even as the season has deteriorated they've stuck to the plan. Backup guard Jaevin Cumberland has also missed most of the year. And now they've got another: starting point guard Brailen Neely is out for the rest of the year with a knee injury suffered last week. Meanwhile, Brock and Beck both missed the Bears last game, an 82-74 win over IUPUIIIIUIUI, and both are listed as questionable for Friday.

OU just hasn't beaten good teams--their 5 conference losses include two to first place Wright State, 1 to second place Northern Kentucky, and one to third place UIC, plus a 1 point loss at Green Bay. In non-conference play, they lost road games to Toledo, Syracuse, Kansas, and Eastern Michigan, and the Little Ceasar's game to MSU. Except for the loss to Green Bay, they've whupped the lesser teams on their schedule, including our Titans 3 weeks ago in Calihan. Nunn ate us up in that game, with 38 points, and only some closing heroics from Corey Allen prevented a complete rout.

These are two beat up teams going at it on Friday. The Titans are still listing Corey Allen and others as questionable. Neely's injury is a big loss for OU--backup Daniels is a good three point shooter and has some ability, but his play can be erratic. This would be a good game for the Titans to press, except that with our own injury problems, we probably don't have the horses to do it. This game will be a tough one for the Titans, but a second straight road win over OU would at least provide some balm for another sorry season.

Injury List: Oakland
Brad Brechting -- out indefinitely
Jaevin Cumberland -- out for season
Brailen Neely - out for season
Isaiah Brock -- Questionable
James Beck -- questionable

Injury List: Titans
Jaleel Hogan -- out indefinitely (academics)
Tariq Jones -- out indefinitely (academics)
Isaiah Jones -- out indefinitely
Corey Allen -- questionable
Jermaine Jackson, Jr. -- questionable
Gerald Blackshear -- questionable

Likely Oakland Starters
PG: Nick Daniels, 6-1 Sr. (8.0 ppg, 3.4 apg, .382 3PFG%)
SG: Kendrick Nunn, 6-3 Sr. (26.0 ppg (2nd in nation), 4.6 rpg, 3.9 apg, .398 3PFG%, .837 FT%)
SF: Martez Walker, 6-5 Sr. (17.6 ppg, 4.1 rpg)
PF: Jalen Hayes, 6-7 Sr. (19.1 ppg, 8.0 rpg, .525 FG%, .896 FT%)
PF: Isaiah Brock, 6-8 Soph (4.7 ppg, 7.6 rpg, 2.7 bpg, .696 FG%). If Brock can't play, the start likely goes to
G: Stanley Scott, 6-3 Fr. (2.1 ppg), unless James Beck (see below) is able to play, in which case he would likely start.

Other Key Reserves
F - Chris Palombizio, 6-6 Soph. (2.2 ppg, 1.9 rpg)
F/G - James Back, 6-7 Fr. (4.2 ppg, 4.0 rpg)
F - Julius Palmer, 6-9 Jr. (1.3 ppg, 2.0 rpg)
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Re: Oakland preview

Postby uofdfan1983 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:19 am

Commish, you should have traded in writing legal briefs for a career as a novelist (journalist, satirist, poet?) years ago. Maybe you can become the next Grisham, only specializing in legal thrillers related to the wonderful boneheadedness (is that a word?) of the NCAA. Setting, a devastated but renaissance Jesuit School in an old industrial city. Plot, a bunch of supporters wish to push the current (failing) head coach out, while the NCAA decides to go back and investigate an alleged affair between the only female AD in the country at the time, and an assistant coach, married with 2 young basketball star daughters who happens to be the son of an NFL Hall of Famer. Take it from there Commish....doesn't sound like a plausible plot line for reality but you could make it work.

At the very least, Commish, you are the most amazing contributor to College Hoops Boards in the history of such animals, and that is a FACT that will go without dispute even on this cranky board, from NC all the way to da UP.

On the game tonight: JJJ and Allen will play but you might be surprised at the starting lineup; might look just like it did last weekend. I will be there in my RED. Everyone who can get there safely should go to the Orena tonight. U-D cancelled classes today so the guys have nothing to do but prepare for the game. Go Titans!
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:14 am

My morning paper has us as a 14 point underdog (it's a little embarrassing to think how far we've fallen that Oakland is that much better than us). Hopefully the guys will play hard and as a team, like last weekend, and the return of a few guys will contribute to our depth so players can stay fresh and energized. Playing well and beating Oakland is a matter of pride for me and I'm hoping the players feel the same way. I'm looking forward to a competitive game and with some hot shooting and some swarming defense, just maybe win.
GO TITANS!
HSScout1
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:17 am

Commish keeps out-Commishing himself. Bravo sir, bravo.

I had a long talk with OU poster BearBlueDevil last night. He presented a fair look at both teams and the match ups, provided the good and bad of both programs, and all around was a delight to be around. Hoping to have a postgame beer with him tonight.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:44 pm

Today’s Detroit Free Press has a game preview:

“5 things to know as UDM and Oakland meet for 2nd time in basketball”

http://on.freep.com/2nSvqdA
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:52 pm

Man, I sure miss Sam already :D . Just kidding Commish!!!!! :D !

I think our CHAOS defense will be the difference in the game.
The-Dude
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:59 pm

It is much more likely that our free throw defense will have a bigger impact on the outcome of the game.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:30 pm

Commish, you are a gem. You make me laugh out loud (that's LOL for you younger posters on this board). You will supplant Carl Hiaasen, not John Grisham.

Wally Pipp. Heh-heh.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:09 pm

Commissioner, that was interesting, to say the least. That OU forum is full of delusional thinking. From the word count of the Comissar's post, he obviously doesn't go nearly as deep as you do. 11,000 words? Usually your preface and introduction usually run 11K. And ElkGuy sounds like he got into the medicine cabinet before he made his prediction. Oakland wins 157-23?! That's absurd. He must be a complete idiot!

Let's cut to the chase. In Las Vegas, the line shows Detroit-Mercy getting anywhere from 16 to 16.5 points and the over/under ranges from 165.5 to 167. If pressed, I'd take the over. I realize that the Titans are showing signs of a defense and Oakland is short-handed, too, but I see us running up a big score. Just a hunch. As far as the spread is concerned, the bookies are clueless. Not only will OU fail to cover, they will fail to win. So, after careful deliberation and analysis, the Official Moose Prediction (from the home office atop Moose Mountain, Wyoming): Detroit-Mercy Titans 157 Oakland Golden Grizzlies 23. GO TITANS!!!

Note: I wonder if the game will happen with all the snow we've had. I'm guessing it will because with ESPN calling the shots, something drastic would have to happen to postpone it.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:19 pm

Well done, Commish.

Was originally planning to be at this game, but in actuality I'll be shoveling my driveway for the 3rd time today.
udballer
Senior

Postby UDDRUMMER » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:05 pm

Planned on heading up to the game, called the OU athletic office to see if the game was cancelled. The representative said that the game is still on since it is televised on ESPN.

Sadly, I'm not taking the trek North to Oakland for the game, don't want to take a chance on the roads. I'll be watching the game on TV and having a few beers.

Anyone driving up to the game tonight?
I got a fever..the only prescription is more COWBELL!

UDM Alum Class of 2012
http://youtu.be/fyV2cPLuFuA
UDDRUMMER
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:26 pm

Detroit Mercy beat Oakland University in the 2018 Donor Challenge. The final tally: Detroit Mercy 697 donors, Oakland 683.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Notsosmart » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:45 pm

Roads are fine. No problem getting to Orena
Notsosmart
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:02 pm

You gotta be kidding me - 13 to 0 already. The way we start games, maybe there should be a mercy rule for Detroit Mercy
HSScout1
Senior

Postby Titan JJ » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:07 pm

14-3. Big hole to get into.
Titan JJ
Sophmore

Postby NC Titan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:09 pm

They just dug out. Titans lead 17-16.
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Titan JJ » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:10 pm

Wow awesome 17-3 run!
Titan JJ
Sophmore

Postby HSScout1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:10 pm

That more like it. A nice run with some steals and 3's to take the lead. The early deficits have to stop though...
HSScout1
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:11 pm

HSScout1 wrote:That more like it. A nice run with some steals and 3's to take the lead. The early deficits have to stop though...

I'd rather they stop the late deficits.
NC Titan
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:16 pm

I like our uniforms.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball