Oakland preview

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Oakland preview

Postby MooseGuy1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:20 pm

This is turning into a good game.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:29 pm

Black is having a nice game. And Long shows real basketball IQ.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:37 pm

I'm not complaining. This was a good 1st half after the very start.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:39 pm

NC Titan wrote:Black is having a nice game. And Long shows real basketball IQ.

Yes, Hank. Spot on. Dre has been much better this year and Long just plays smart. Actually, Black does, too. They've been a couple of overlooked bright spots.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:41 pm

When we're playing well it is so much fun. 20 more minutes...come on guys!!!
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:45 pm

NC Titan wrote:
HSScout1 wrote:That more like it. A nice run with some steals and 3's to take the lead. The early deficits have to stop though...

I'd rather they stop the late deficits.

That's a good one. If they could just keep shooting 63% from 3 every game, they might never lose
HSScout1
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:49 pm

NC Titan wrote:Black is having a nice game. And Long shows real basketball IQ.

Long is quickly becoming my favorite player on the team. Black does some good things and can help this team. The key to his game is to have him play within his abilities and not try to do too much, or overexpose him with too much playing time.
HSScout1
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:15 am

The titans played well tonight, JJjr. played within himself and only forced a handful of shots tonight. We just didn't have enough offensive fire power tonight.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:18 am

R.B.J1 wrote:The titans played well tonight, JJjr. played within himself and only forced a handful of shots tonight. We just didn't have enough offensive fire power tonight.

More specifically, there is just no inside game with Hogan, Blackshear, and the Jones's gone. Prince can't do it alone. What happened to Ballantyne tonight, btw? In the second half OU tightened its perimeter defense, and you could see our guys just didn't have enough legs to get open, or hit the threes when they were open.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:28 am

After a very slow start, the Titans played 15 good minutes in the first half to lead by 7. In the second half, they remembered they were a 7-18 team and made many mistakes, leading to Oakland baskets. Still, there were chances but Chatman blew an easy layup, Jackson did too as well as missing two free throws, Prince short-armed an easy layin and Cole Long threw the ball away at least once. We lost the second half by 16 after winning it by 15 in the game in Detroit.

The announcing pair were pretty complimentary of the Horizon League and of the two teams, more than they deserved I thought. The lead announcer thinks BA will eventually assemble a good team.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:15 am

We could have and should have won this game!
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:35 am

This game reminded me of watching the Cleveland Cavaliers when Isiah Thomas came back. The chemistry of the team was destroyed when Isiah started the game, but they recouped when he sat down. When Isiah came back in, he had a flash of good play and then the team settled back into its old ways when he was back in the game. By the end of the games they weren't playing 5 on 5, but 5 on 4 as the "team" resented having their rhythm destroyed and ran plays for themselves whenever Isiah relinquished or missed a shot and they rebounded the ball.

Moral of the story -- trade the Jacksons. They ruin any chemistry this team has. We don't have the talent to be a top team, but we do have the talent to lead the middle of the pack in the Horizon, but only if the team believes they have a common goal and trust each other. That won't happen when there are two Daddys on the bench. We can patronize one (preferably the better one), but we can't keep both of them happy. We either get rid of one or we run the risk of losing both -- although that wouldn't be as bad as what we have seen this year.

Last comment on the Horizon League this year, we all know what we have and what we are going to get. The only suspense is who will lead and who will make up the team next year.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:55 am

I really don’t get why so many on this board don’t see how badly JJJr hurts the team when he gets so many minutes. The kid can’t shoot (1-7 until a last minute gimme), he is useless on defense, he takes away time from our better players, he starts and our 2nd best player (Allen) sits, opponents loosely cover him so they can double others, our bigs sit on the bench so we get fewer rebounds and team morale is awful because everyone on the team knows he is awful. Other than that, he is great.

Doesn’t BA realize that kid is going to get BA fired?
Titans96
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:10 am

Titans96 wrote:I really don’t get why so many on this board don’t see how badly JJJr hurts the team when he gets so many minutes. The kid can’t shoot (1-7 until a last minute gimme), he is useless on defense, he takes away time from our better players, he starts and our 2nd best player (Allen) sits, opponents loosely cover him so they can double others, our bigs sit on the bench so we get fewer rebounds and team morale is awful because everyone on the team knows he is awful. Other than that, he is great.

The problem with you, 96, is that you won't take yes for an answer. I'm not sure there is a person on this board, at least among those who have commented, who has not agreed that JJJ is getting too many minutes. It's the nasty, personal, Johnny One-Note nature of your criticism that people push back against.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:39 am

Titans96 wrote:I really don’t get why so many on this board don’t see how badly JJJr hurts the team when he gets so many minutes. The kid can’t shoot (1-7 until a last minute gimme), he is useless on defense, he takes away time from our better players, he starts and our 2nd best player (Allen) sits, opponents loosely cover him so they can double others, our bigs sit on the bench so we get fewer rebounds and team morale is awful because everyone on the team knows he is awful. Other than that, he is great.

During the Oakland game JJJr. only took one "run and gun,early in the clock" shot against Oakland...that I recall. It seems as if the coaches are at least trying to control him. I could be viewing things through titan colored glasses, but I think JJJr. can improve. His dad was a pretty good point guard, but maybe he needs another voice, I think he should enroll in a course with Rashad Phillips, or purchase the DVD's.

https://www.rpskillsunlimited.com/
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Notsosmart » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:16 am

I was at the game then watched the tv version this morning. What is being lost here is that was a really good game between two rival teams with depleated line ups. ESPN keep taking about the rivalry like we were Ohio state and Michigan It was a great basketball atmosphere and people across the country got to watch us in that atmosphere play.When you go 10-16 from the three and move the ball like we did for the last 8 mins of the half your going to look like a good team. The only two bad things from the night was our record was under our name when they showed the score and we lost. Everything else was positive and a night we can build on. Our fans were good, we played hard, we ran stuff, we can't defend, their freshman that hasn't played all year got to the basket at will on us and missed 4 easy lay ups, but it was a positive night if recites were snowed in watching. I don't like the 2-8 against them but all we can do know is make it 2-0 next year. I do have to admit that they know how to put on a college basketball game
Notsosmart
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:09 pm

Notsosmart wrote:I was at the game then watched the tv version this morning. What is being lost here is that was a really good game between two rival teams with depleated line ups. ESPN keep taking about the rivalry like we were Ohio state and Michigan It was a great basketball atmosphere and people across the country got to watch us in that atmosphere play.When you go 10-16 from the three and move the ball like we did for the last 8 mins of the half your going to look like a good team. The only two bad things from the night was our record was under our name when they showed the score and we lost. Everything else was positive and a night we can build on. Our fans were good, we played hard, we ran stuff, we can't defend, their freshman that hasn't played all year got to the basket at will on us and missed 4 easy lay ups, but it was a positive night if recites were snowed in watching. I don't like the 2-8 against them but all we can do know is make it 2-0 next year. I do have to admit that they know how to put on a college basketball game

Kampe spent several minutes of his post-game press conference praising the OU marketing & promotions staff for their contributions in creating a great college hoops atmosphere in the O’rena. Detroit Mercy needs to make significant strides in improving the M&P effort next season.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby bctitans1987 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:28 pm

Commish - That was beautiful. Really enjoyed reading the musings.

Kampe constantly makes excuses. Outside of the bubble of college basketball and specifically, Auburn Hills/Rocehester, in the real world no one cares who is sick, hurt, etc. My customers don't care. Next person up. Do the job. Deliver. If not, you will be replaced.

sKampe is the longest-standing coach in the State. He recruited two convicts that no other school would or should touch--especially in the current #me too environment. Oakland U. should be ashamed of themselves for putting their students at risk knowing that these guys are both domestic abusers. They both got caught...Say it: TWICE.

@Rogo - Clearly the Titan marketing department needs to step-up. That said, as I have continued to say: UDM has 'employees' not 'leaders' with passion, commitment and love for their job(s).
bctitans1987
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:36 pm

Hate to admit it, but OU does a real nice job in Promotions. And the fact they can turn down the lights (as we were able to do in the Glory Years) makes Player Intros fun, IF it's your team they're dropping the lights for...

We faded in the 2nd half because OU put the clamps on our guards and we could not get free. And Nunn took the game over again. Not sure how you stop him.

I want one FACT to be known because it dawned on me that those who were unable to make it to the game because of the snowstorm might not have heard this on the TV/radio broadcasts: Cole warmed up and was introduced as a starter but (not sure how it happened) he got a really bad bloody nose that wouldn't stop and they started working on him right in front of our fanbase. In fact Mike Miller came down from his seat to help. Cole had to go into the locker room for about 15 actual minutes (5 game minutes?) before it stopped. JJJ took his spot in the starting lineup at the last minute. I thought JJJ played the appropriate number of minutes in the 1st half but too many in the 2nd half, at the expense of both Josh and Corey. JJJ did tone his shooting down and Dre was the PG every minute he played. But when the other team gets hot I find myself looking for Josh as our one chance to stop a possession with his ballhawking.

In the end, we faded. Not enough help for Prince inside (Hogan would have really helped) and too much Nunn. By the way, the OU players celebrated by climbing into the student section, which did it's job well. They did NOT leave at halftime even though we were ahead.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby titandave » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:31 pm

uofdfan1983 wrote:In the end, we faded. Not enough help for Prince inside (Hogan would have really helped) and too much Nunn. By the way, the OU players celebrated by climbing into the student section, which did it's job well. They did NOT leave at halftime even though we were ahead.

From my perspective .... your summary is spot-on. Our lack of depth at center and power forwards is really hurt us. Who knows .... the outcome may have been different if Hogan, Blackshear and Tariq Jones were available.
titandave
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball