Let's Look st the Next Four Games

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Let's Look st the Next Four Games

Postby cedar1973 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:10 am

I am writing this to lay out the next four games and the difficult task facing UD.
The next four games are away games for UD and are against Oak, CSU, YSU, and UIC
These four teams have a combine home record of 29-17. Each team is either at
500 or better (at this time). UD is 1-8 in away games. This is not looking good for UD.
If they don't win 3 out of the 4 the coach and staff along with AD should be gone.
The President of the school should resign and so should the Board who approve the
President, AD and his staff, and the basketball coaches. This University has hit rock
bottom.
cedar1973
Senior

Re: Let's Look st the Next Four Games

Postby dennycrane » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:02 am

Actually, cedar, you should take another look at what you wrote and get a grip on reality. I agree - the basketball teams are in terrible shape this year. No argument there. You would, however, have the entire University administration changed over because we are losing basketball games? Seriously? I don't study these things but I have it on reliable information that freshman enrollments are up, the endowment is up (considerably), the fundraising project is about 83% pledged and the school is working well with the rejuvenated city administration on projects along Livernois as well as the Puritan Avenue area. In short, the school is doing well (off the "field"). There are many who feel, as I do, that a prominent basketball program can be a great help to a healthy school. At this point we don't have that. But throwing the baby out with the bath water isn't the answer either.

To the specifics of these games, a team just as bad as this one went to Rochester a year ago and came away with a win. Cleveland State and Youngstown, along with us and IUPUIUIUI are probably the 4 worst Horizon teams but they are beatable. Milwaukee has moved up and gave a pretty good NKU team a battle tonight on the road. UIC, I agree, is athletic and fast and will be a big challenge in Chicago. At this point, the Titans are looking to play one game at a time, as a team, and perhaps acquit themselves better at the new arena in March than they did in December.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:07 pm

I agree with Denny. Anyone who thinks the president and board of the university should resign because of the performance of the basketball team has a really bad case of the tail wagging the dog. The school is not at rock bottom, it is doing well, is stable, has vision and a bright future.

[Insert here: complaints about the name, the branding, the non-Jesuitness of the president, etc.]

The academic mission of the university, not the record of the basketball team, is their priority.

[Insert here: comments that basketball success will lead to overall improvement of the university.]

Running a small Catholic college in a city like Detroit is a challenge, and we should all be proud of the direction and success that we are experiencing right now. It's not an easy task, but alumni and friend support will make it less challenging.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby cedar1973 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:39 am

To NC Titan and dennycran
At one time UD stood for great academics and athletics but that all changed in 1990.
When the board and president decided to change the name of the school.
The University lost a lot of money and alumni because they turn there backs on 113 years of proud history
to please a few nuns. If you took basic marketing you would know that when you have a proud history
with a name that people hold in high praise than change it you lose in the long run.
It has taken 28 years to get back to where we were when they change the name.
Think of what this University could have been instead of where we are now, 1990.
That is why it is time to fix the problem now.
cedar1973
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:21 am

Well, this is quite a different discussion, cedar, than the one you started 24 hours ago. Remember that one: Let's look at the next four games? You titled it. As a matter of opinion, I think it was and is a big mistake to sustain the Mercy name. Scores of alumni don't like it being attached to our alma mater's name and don't donate because of that. Others are not so bothered. It depends upon one's personal point of view. This is not the only area in which the University has shot itself in the foot either. And in certain other matters, like Moe Green, it's just been unlucky.

What makes you think, by the way, that we're back to where we were in 1990? Because if we are, and NCT has more knowledge of this than I do, then we're once again close to going out of business and in need of financial help. That was the case in those years leading to the merger, I'm told. I know personally an employee at the time who stated as much and had no reason to fib. But that is not the case today (see the points made in the earlier post).
dennycrane
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:55 am

cedar1973 wrote:The University lost a lot of money and alumni because they turn there backs on 113 years of proud history
to please a few nuns.

If those "lost" alumni represented "a lot of money" then why was the U broke and on the brink of closing?
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:42 pm

Isaiah Jones now cleared to play.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:36 pm

ptctitan wrote:Isaiah Jones now cleared to play.

Thanks ptc for the good news. Our front line needs him.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:12 am

The real question is which player loses minutes when Jones shows up?

Ballantyne and Eichler didn’t play against OU, so what will they do now? Have 3 guys not play?
Titans96
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:18 am

Titans96 wrote:The real question is which player loses minutes when Jones shows up?

Ballantyne and Eichler didn’t play against OU, so what will they do now? Have 3 guys not play?

Bacari said it will depend upon the situation in an individual game, but that he does not expect to change the team's core or even the announced starting 5 at OU.

Blackshear still not cleared. He had surgery last summer on a tibia.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:23 am

I talked to Blackshear Sr. after the OU game and it doesn't look good for Jr's return this year.

Eichler DID play a couple minutes in the first half against OU. I know about "development" and all that but both Malik and Jack have had plenty of opportunities this year. Isiah is a good guy and more importantly he does things no one else on the team does. Don't be afraid to give him spot minutes.

So, PTC, based on your conversation with BA, I assume "announced" starting lineup means Long, not JJJ.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:43 am

Just to clarify things, I did not have a conservation with BA. I listened to the coaches radio show last night on which he discussed all these issues openly with Cliff Russell.

As to Long, I understood him to mean that Cole was included in that starting line-up. He also confirmed your report about the bloody nose at OU and that Cole would have started at OU if he did not have this issue in the lay-up line before the game. JJJ would not have started at OU if Cole did not need medical attention. Overall, he likes the way that starting 5 is playing and mused about the benefit of bringing good energy off the bench to add to that flow. I think that is how he now views Corey, JJJr and the rest of the bench. He still wants a more consistent defensive effort. He said that too often we are the Etroit Mercy Titans because so many times there is no "D" from his team.

As to Blackshear, he wrote a column in a recent Varsity News in which he disclosed last summer's surgery. I think he missed a lot of games last year due to stress fractures in his legs.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby titandave » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:14 pm

ptctitan wrote:Just to clarify things, I did not have a conservation with BA. I listened to the coaches radio show last night on which he discussed all these issues openly with Cliff Russell. As to Long, I understood him to mean that Cole was included in that starting line-up. He also confirmed your report about the bloody nose at OU and that Cole would have started at OU if he did not have this issue in the lay-up line before the game. JJJ would not have started at OU if Cole did not need medical attention. Overall, he likes the way that starting 5 is playing and mused about the benefit of bringing good energy off the bench to add to that flow. I think that is how he now views Corey, JJJr and the rest of the bench. He still wants a more consistent defensive effort. He said that too often we are the Etroit Mercy Titans because so many times there is no "D" from his team. As to Blackshear, he wrote a column in a recent Varsity News in which he disclosed last summer's surgery. I think he missed a lot of games last year due to stress fractures in his legs.

At least in the near term, it sounds like we're looking at something along the lines of the following:

Starting Line Up: Black, McFolley, Chatman, Long, and Price
In the Rotation from the bench: Allen & JJJ
Role Players: Ballantyne, I. Jones, & Eichler
titandave
Senior

Postby cedar1973 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:31 am

NC Titan wrote:
cedar1973 wrote:The University lost a lot of money and alumni because they turn there backs on 113 years of proud history
to please a few nuns.

If those "lost" alumni represented "a lot of money" then why was the U broke and on the brink of closing?

Sorry it took so long to reply out west working on a special project.
The City of Detroit was going through a tough time financial and the school had made some bad money decision
that drained alot of money from the school. The pending merger was talk about 2 years before it happen and
the money started to dry up fast. The decision to combine school was ok but the name change was the big
deal that started the alumni migration. I hope that clarifies your quetion
cedar1973
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball