CSU Preview

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: CSU Preview

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:57 am

Tacitus651 wrote:Unless Josh racked up a ton of credits and can graduate by end of summer, going somewhere else doesn't make much sense. Assume he has roughly 90 credits at the end of this year. Most universities require you earn at least 60 of the 120 credits at their school to confer a degree. Going somewhere and sitting out a year (assuming NCAA doesn't change the rule) and retaking 30 credit hours to play on a different basketball team isn't a great life decision IMO. Also, his stats aren't that great this year. Not sure he'd receive the best offers.

I think the residency requirement of 60 credits hours is more typical of the top-tier universities. I believe many, perhaps even a majority of colleges out there, require something like only the last 32 credits (or 25% of total degree) be earned at the final destination degree-granting institution. That said, it is correct to say that many schools are not that interested in transfers who will burn two years of athletic scholarship (one to sit out), but only eligible to be on-court in uniform for a single year.

Just checked what the policy is at UDM: “The University residency requirement states that candidates for a bachelor degree must complete the last 30 credit hours of their program ‘In Residence’ at the University of Detroit Mercy.”
Last edited by Rogobob77 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:02 am

ptctitan wrote:Prince was great on offense, but his lapses on the defensive boards hurt us. Our two shooting guards, Josh and Corey, both had bad shooting nights, 2-15 with 5 points total between them. They were defended by the taller Word and Carpenter.

Chatman also played a soft game.

Too bad because this was a winnable game if only one of our big scorers had stepped up to help Prince and Long. Their continued improved play is a bright spot.

Prince played his heart out battling for boards against 3 guys. Chatman has been soft all year. I can see why he didn't get more minutes at UM. He refuses to play defense and even though he is the longest on the floor he will not play inside. The 6'9" is a waste on him just makes his dribble longer which contributes to his T.0. ratio. We are a perimeter team that can not play perimeter defense and coached by a someone who wants to be a comedian. Josh should be playing a lot more.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:07 am

Prince played such a strong game that his few miscues likely stood out more to me than Chatman's habitual lack of help inside. I agree with titanmike that the poor shooting from the guards was the major reason for the loss. Tho JJJr was the only one to shoot OK. The other 3 did not shoot well. Corey was the only one who could effectively assist others in scoring last night. That's probably why he got more minutes than Josh in our perpetual comeback effort. Josh did help shut down CSU frosh sensation Appleby.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:53 pm

upbasketballfan wrote: Chatman has been soft all year. I can see why he didn't get more minutes at UM. He refuses to play defense and even though he is the longest on the floor he will not play inside. The 6'9" is a waste on him just makes his dribble longer which contributes to his T.0. ratio. We are a perimeter team that can not play perimeter defense and coached by a someone who wants to be a comedian. Josh should be playing a lot more.

This might be why Chatman is listed on the roster as a guard: he won't play inside despite his size.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:59 pm

NC Titan wrote:
upbasketballfan wrote: Chatman has been soft all year. I can see why he didn't get more minutes at UM. He refuses to play defense and even though he is the longest on the floor he will not play inside. The 6'9" is a waste on him just makes his dribble longer which contributes to his T.0. ratio. We are a perimeter team that can not play perimeter defense and coached by a someone who wants to be a comedian. Josh should be playing a lot more.

This might be why Chatman is listed on the roster as a guard: he won't play inside despite his size.

During a key play for possession of a loose ball (which was won by Cleveland St) in the last few minutes of the game, the announcers, when showing the replay commented how Chatman "gave up" on the play by not even going after/getting down on the floor after the loose ball
HSScout1
Senior

Postby udballer » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:20 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:
ptctitan wrote:Prince was great on offense, but his lapses on the defensive boards hurt us. Our two shooting guards, Josh and Corey, both had bad shooting nights, 2-15 with 5 points total between them. They were defended by the taller Word and Carpenter.

Chatman also played a soft game.

Too bad because this was a winnable game if only one of our big scorers had stepped up to help Prince and Long. Their continued improved play is a bright spot.

Prince played his heart out battling for boards against 3 guys. Chatman has been soft all year. I can see why he didn't get more minutes at UM. He refuses to play defense and even though he is the longest on the floor he will not play inside. The 6'9" is a waste on him just makes his dribble longer which contributes to his T.0. ratio. We are a perimeter team that can not play perimeter defense and coached by a someone who wants to be a comedian. Josh should be playing a lot more.

Prince turned out to be every bit as good as I expected him to be. Good to get to see him play for the Titans. It's unfortunate that we are still in the cellar of the conference and he won't be around next season.
udballer
Senior

Postby titandave » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:41 pm

udballer wrote:Prince turned out to be every bit as good as I expected him to be. Good to get to see him play for the Titans. It's unfortunate that we are still in the cellar of the conference and he won't be around next season.

Totally agree with you comments about Prince. I'm hoping that Tariq Jones can start the 2018-19 campaign the way in which Price is finishing up this season. :)
titandave
Senior

Postby titanmac » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:33 am

i think tariq is done here.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball