Conference RPI

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Conference RPI

Postby Big Chuck » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:06 pm

With all the what it's and fire everybody shots going around I wanted to check where the Horizon League stands.

It seems the league has slid to 28th for Men's Basketball. It was only a couple of years ago HL was in the low teens and ahead of the MAC. Obviously we play a role in the fall. How much did the flight of the other teams contribute?

One comparison that may answer that or open more questions. HL WBB is currently ranked 11th. This may be as high as it has been in years, but was always close to where the men WERE. Loyola nor Valpo had strong women's programs. Green Bays woman's dominance has made teams better.

No answers here,just questions. We are married to this league for the foreseeable future. Even if we improve our position in the league, prospects of drawing significant media attention is a major challenge. Without media attention,marketing is much harder.

Winning helps, but let's not pretend it will solve all our problems and get us back where we were. The HL has to improve or we can not do much to increase our media attraction.
Big Chuck
Senior

Re: Conference RPI

Postby dennycrane » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:36 pm

The Horizon took a major hit, Chuck, when Wichita State triggered the defection of Valparaiso. You know this. Instead of taking a studied approach to finding a quality replacement, Lecrone took the easy way out and added IUPUI which also silenced those critics who said the league offices should move elsewhere than Indianapolis. Of course, having 5 bad teams populating the HL second division is a major contributor to the RPI problem as well. Green Bay has good coaching; it's stay in the lower half will be temporary. Cleveland St. has never recovered from getting raided of grad transfers about 4 years ago. Youngstown is ,well, Youngstown. And Detroit has repeated a near historically bad season in '17 with almost an exact replica.

I'm not sure we are married to the Horizon for the foreseeable future. Detroit's failure to act more than two decades ago has depreciated the program to the doorstep of Division 2. Loyola is proof that you don't need to dominate to change leagues. But you do need to dare to improve.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:49 am

As it turned out, we played a much stronger non-conference schedule than was thought back in December. The average RPI of that schedule is currently 126. In addition to Michigan, VaTech and UCLA; Toledo, ETSU and Murray State are also in the top 100. Our road win at #137 SLU is also helping. Even Seattle is #187. All of these factors help keep our RPI slightly above 300 at the moment.

Oakland has also played a big role in the HL's RPI decline this season. Its loss to YSU dropped it 21 spots to 158. Its non-conference schedule RPI average is 156.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:26 am

The BA Era Titans are now in the bottom 15% of all NCAA D1 Basketball Teams, and will be getting worse with a loss to YSU (which is predicted by Vegas and ESPN). Plus they are projected to lose to UIC and Milwaukee with even odds against Green Bay. During the Ray Mc Era the Titans were basically in the middle of the pack (50%) of all NCAA D1 Basketball Teams.

Let's face it, the Vowels/BA Era has been an unmitigated disaster for the Titans and UDM. There can be no excuse for such a pitiful performance by the Vowels/BA organization.

There is absolutely zero reason to keep anyone associated with the Vowels/BA organization. It really doesn't matter what it costs to get rid of these staffs, because by keeping them it guarantees a continual decline in the athletic program and basketball program with the eventual move to NCAA D3 status.

At season end the Administration needs to release the entire Vowels/BA staffs and find leaders who know what they are doing and will do so at half the cost. They are out there, and we should avoid hiring former UDM athletes.
Titans96
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:40 am

Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:59 am

Titans96 wrote:The BA Era Titans are now in the bottom 15% of all NCAA D1 Basketball Teams, and will be getting worse with a loss to YSU (which is predicted by Vegas and ESPN). Plus they are projected to lose to UIC and Milwaukee with even odds against Green Bay. During the Ray Mc Era the Titans were basically in the middle of the pack (50%) of all NCAA D1 Basketball Teams.

Let's face it, the Vowels/BA Era has been an unmitigated disaster for the Titans and UDM. There can be no excuse for such a pitiful performance by the Vowels/BA organization.

There is absolutely zero reason to keep anyone associated with the Vowels/BA organization. It really doesn't matter what it costs to get rid of these staffs, because by keeping them it guarantees a continual decline in the athletic program and basketball program with the eventual move to NCAA D3 status.

At season end the Administration needs to release the entire Vowels/BA staffs and find leaders who know what they are doing and will do so at half the cost. They are out there, and we should avoid hiring former UDM athletes.

Wow you are boring
titanmike
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:16 am

Well, if my completely accurate predictions of the demise of the Titans over the past 2 years are boring to you, oh well too bad. It's difficult accepting reality with the Titans basketball program.

What is really boring is the performance of the Titans Vowels/BA Basketball Program over the past 2 years. Obviously with the lowest attendance levels in the history of Titan Basketball, the fans are the ones who really feel the program is boring.
Titans96
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:42 am

Titans96 wrote:Well, if my completely accurate predictions of the demise of the Titans over the past 2 years are boring to you, oh well too bad. It's difficult accepting reality with the Titans basketball program.

What is really boring is the performance of the Titans Vowels/BA Basketball Program over the past 2 years. Obviously with the lowest attendance levels in the history of Titan Basketball, the fans are the ones who really feel the program is boring.

Well that BS has cracked me up, so I guess not so boring.
titanmike
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:55 pm

Maybe 96 stirs the pot too much, but eventually we have to accept that virtually everything he has said is true or has come to BE true. The only thing he's said that probably isn't true are some of his earlier posts claiming that Vowels is sabotaging BA so he can appoint JJ head coach. That still doesn't make sense to me. Otherwise, I have the decency to say he's been right in most of his predictions and assessments.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:04 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Maybe 96 stirs the pot too much, but eventually we have to accept that virtually everything he has said is true or has come to BE true. The only thing he's said that probably isn't true are some of his earlier posts claiming that Vowels is sabotaging BA so he can appoint JJ head coach. That still doesn't make sense to me. Otherwise, I have the decency to say he's been right in most of his predictions and assessments.

For crying out loud, he isn't Nostradamus for F sake.
titanmike
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:05 pm

Maybe not, but he's telling the truth regarding Vowels for sure. 96 is a fan (and, I assume an alum) voicing his opinion on a message board that serves the purpose of discussing Titan athletics. Vowels has failed us tremendously and we are paying him 200K per year. We need change and we need it fast or we will be playing D3 ball - FACT.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:10 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Maybe not, but he's telling the truth regarding Vowels for sure. 96 is a fan (and, I assume an alum) voicing his opinion on a message board that serves the purpose of discussing Titan athletics. Vowels has failed us tremendously and we are paying him 200K per year. We need change and we need it fast or we will be playing D3 ball - FACT.

Ok....so the rehashing is a bit much. You don't think the owner of the board doesn't know the purpose of the board? You cannot call an assumption a fact regardless of how good that assumption may be.
titanmike
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:18 pm

Honestly, I'm starting not to care much anymore. I realize we might be stuck with BA for another year bc we have no out on an annual 500K contract. But if the university doesn't fire Vowels by early summer I'm done with the team and the board. This is all so embarrassing. We don't deserve to field D1 athletics based on performance, attendance, or any other metric you can imagine. And it's not fair to our students who are ostensibly subsidizing this clown show.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Big Chuck » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:28 pm

I tried to point out that our problems are not as simple as some of you portray them. Fire everyone and start over is not a plan. So we fire the president and the whole athletic department. Then what? Who is going to assemble the pieces necessary to continue let alone improve?

Denny, we may not have to win to get to another league, but we have to have something to bring to the party.

Tell.me what we have that add value to any league you would like to join. Our facilities are outdated or non-existent. We can't even turn the lights out for our pre-game show.
Our media footprint is miniscule. Vowels made a plea for all of us to contact the Freep to show them someone cared about us. He can't make the newspapers cover us. He has few facts to sell. 800 people a game proves the Freep's point, not ours. Our winning tradition? We really don't have one! A couple of times we had some good years, but winning tradition, no.

Maybe I am missing something, but let me know if so.

So we should be working to make the HL and our Athletic Program successful because.we can't succeed if the league continues to decline. Let's not always blame Lacrone either. You don't keep your job as long as he has if you go against your bosses. Does anyone know for a fact that LaCrone did not try and get a school with a stronger program admitted, but couldn't get the required votes? Assuming it's always LaCrone does not make it so. The same is true for Vowels.

The HL tourneys start soon. I am finding hard to get enthused. I know I will buy tickets and attend all games are men and women.play, the same as always. I did not attend many other games last year, but feel to be a good league fan I should this year.
Big Chuck
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:39 pm

This forum is depressing. Not because of the posters, necessarily, but because of the precipitous decline in the program the last 2 years. We used to bitch because we'd draw only 2000 for a Saturday game against a Top 25 team, Mississippi State, a few years back. 2000 now feels like a pipe dream. Things can turn around, though. Not sure I see the way at this point but hopefully this is just a temporary bad time for us. I'm still a fan and would attend all games if my work schedule and life responsibilities hadn't changed so much. I'm not bailing out on the Titans.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:10 am

Tacitus651 wrote:Maybe 96 stirs the pot too much, but eventually we have to accept that virtually everything he has said is true or has come to BE true. The only thing he's said that probably isn't true are some of his earlier posts claiming that Vowels is sabotaging BA so he can appoint JJ head coach. That still doesn't make sense to me. Otherwise, I have the decency to say he's been right in most of his predictions and assessments.

Let's see:
-------------------------------
*Titans96, January 28, 4:00 pm:
If our coaches don't force Ballantyne and Eichler to stop shooting and start pounding the boards, we should not play them.

*Titans96, January 28, 4:57 pm:
we need more Eichler. With our lack of bigs, we must go with Eichler. The problem we have is the coaches have no idea how to coach this kid. He is not the greatest by any means, but he is big. I know he can shoot 3’s with decent accuracy

*Titans96, February 4:
Eichler is terrible.

--------------------------------
*Titans96, January 22 (Re BA):
I propose he get released at year end ... I am done with him,

*Titans96, January 24:
I am a BA fan

*Titans96, January 27:
you make a bad hire (BA and JJSr) it is better to cut your losses quickly

*Titans96, January 20, 8:52 p.m. (after loss to Oakland, referring to JJJ):
Who had the most missed shots tonight? If half of those missed shots turned into assists, could we have won? Why did McFolley, Blackshear, Long play so few minutes? Why would any player be allowed to sit on the bench, with a towel over his head, away from his teammates? ... please sit back and think about this team with a clear view and think about what is wrong with this team.

*Titans96, January 20, 11:52 p.m. (after loss to Oakland):
Not sure where I ever blamed JJJr for the loss, because I didn’t.

Need I go on, or is that enough of reviewing this guy's posts for one night?
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:01 am

Certainly there's some inconsistency but overall he's been very anti BA and Vowels. I don't know the context when he said he was a "BA fan" but I think all of us are fans at the core. BA is an alum and former player and I don't think any of us enjoy his failure as coach. You can be a fan and still conclude he's in way over his head and that hiring him was a mistake.

The real sticking point here is Vowels. The guy MUST go.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:05 am

Wow Commissioner, I appreciate the importance and value you place on my posts.

I’m not sure what you were attempting to show with my posts, but based on your selections it seems that I have been extremely consistent and accurate with my posts over the past 2 years. You are just upset that I am correct.

The sum of this entire team is that Vowels is just a bad choice for AD. He forced Ray to hire JJSr against Ray’s will and that decision was the beginning of the end for Ray. JJSr is a terrible coach, has been and always will be a terrible coach. He may have been a good player, but not a good coach. BA is another bad decision by Vowels. BA can’t coach either and is full of BS. Take BA and JJSr and you end up with a program that is one of the bottom 15% of NCAA D1 basketball. Add to the inability to coach, these 2 can’t recruit. We have nothing to show for two years of recruiting. There is zero chance this team will do better than 8 wins next year and 2 years from now we may never win a game.

In terms of the players, JJJr can’t shoot, can’t defend and is a ball hog. I called it day one and he has proven me correct. We don't have any rebounding focus and our brain trust chooses to let our bigs Eichler and Ballantyne shoot from outside and not crash the boards. When you have a 7’ player and he can’t get rebounds there are two potential options, the coaches suck or the player is terrible. Well, we are lucky to have coaches who suck and Eichler and Ballantyne are terrible and whimps who don’t like to get rebounds. I can go on and on but I am done explaining to you again what I have been saying for 2 years.

The school can continue on this path to going D3, or it can get rid of the Vowels/BA organization at year end. This current team is nothing but a disaster. I predicted 14 wins, lowest of all posters, and you ripped me for that. Guess what, I was wrong. We will be lucky to get 9 wins this year. Keep being a slappy and covering your eyes to the disaster that is Vowels/BA.
Titans96
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:34 am

Titans96 wrote:Wow Commissioner, I appreciate the importance and value you place on my posts.

I’m not sure what you were attempting to show with my posts, but based on your selections it seems that I have been extremely consistent and accurate with my posts over the past 2 years. You are just upset that I am correct.

That you think this is what my post shows, is, I think, pretty damning evidence against your self-proclaimed penchant for accuracy and insight.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:03 pm

Big Chuck, about 5 years ago the team had good talent, several players who would play professionally and made two tournaments in a row. With the right moves, another league was at least a possibility. But we had no athletic director to direct those moves. Since then, our stock has fallen precipitously. I no longer favor a move to another league because that league will be the GLIAC. We are 0-3 against GLIAC teams in the past two years by the way.
dennycrane
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball