Conference RPI

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Conference RPI

Postby ptctitan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:01 pm

First priority is to take care of our own issues before we go looking for "a better conference." There exist many improvements that need to be made that would benefit all sports - including men's basketball. I'm quite certain there is such a to-do list for the Athletic Department and that Vowels is tackling each project in order of importance. The Athletic Department has received pledges for about 67% of its $6 million current campaign fundraising goal. This is the first time in my memory that I recall a specific category for athletics in such a campaign. That would not have happened without the efforts and support of Garibaldi, Vowels, the rest of fundraising VP's, and the trustees. Some posters here may not have this same perspective because of their ages. the presence of that athletic department line item in this campaign gives me more hope than at any time in the past.

This year's low conference men's BB RPI results from contributions made from every member school. Not just us. We can only control our own efforts. We'll see if this year's team can finish much more strongly than last year's. That would be a start.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby udballer » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:11 pm

ptctitan wrote:We'll see if this year's team can finish much more strongly than last year's. That would be a start.

Well, they can't possibly finish worse than last years team, so that statement is a pretty good set up. :D
udballer
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:31 pm

Commissioner, how about those Titans? How many NCAA D1 teams would play Cole Long 32 minutes, let alone 1 minute? How many NCAA D1 teams would play JJJr 3rd highest minutes for the team when he shoots 0% for 3’s and 25% from the field and has 3 turnovers? How many NCAA D1 teams would play their rookie of the year less minutes than all world JJJr? How many NCAA D1 teams would keep this clown like coaching staff after 2 disgusting seasons? How many NCAA D1 teams would keep the worst AD in college sports after producing the worst athletic program 3+ years running?

Any answers Commissioner?
Titans96
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:33 am

Titans96 wrote:Commissioner, how about those Titans? How many NCAA D1 teams would play Cole Long 32 minutes, let alone 1 minute? How many NCAA D1 teams would play JJJr 3rd highest minutes for the team when he shoots 0% for 3’s and 25% from the field and has 3 turnovers? How many NCAA D1 teams would play their rookie of the year less minutes than all world JJJr? How many NCAA D1 teams would keep this clown like coaching staff after 2 disgusting seasons? How many NCAA D1 teams would keep the worst AD in college sports after producing the worst athletic program 3+ years running?

Any answers Commissioner?

Got me. But then again, I agree it's a real sign of weakness when Cole Long plays 32 minutes, and certainly have never suggested otherwise. I've been saying all season that JJJ is playing too many minutes. I've mentioned several times that the Titans don't work enough plays for Allen, and I've been planning all evening to note that since Allen scored 34 and 25 points in back-to-back games against Cleveland State and Youngstown in early January, he has not played 30 minutes in a game.

So I'm not quite sure why you're tossing these things out like some kind of challenge to me. As I said to you in a post a few days back, one reason I think so little of you and your self-proclaimed analytical prowess is that you can't take yes for an answer. I have news for you though: when JJJ plays 30 minutes, it's not personal--it isn't his fault. And BA isn't playing JJJ to screw you, personally. (Well, maybe he is--I gather that he and JJ have been taunting you since 1996, and I know it hurts. They're probably responsible for your crummy job and car, too.) It is true, of course, that JJJ reportedly told a reporter that he planned to miss a bunch a shots tonight just to drive Titans96 crazy, but I think he was just joshing.

Meanwhile, while you're looking for answers, you might ask why it also took our staff more than one-third of the season to play Roschon Prince more than 20 minutes in a game.
Last edited by Commissioner on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:29 am

Just to point out that since the first Oakland game, JJJr has not played more than 29 minutes in a game. And he also had scored 32 and 22 pts back-to-back vs YSU and IUPUI.

Since Cole Long started playing more minutes per game, he has recorded 33 rebounds, 19 assists, 10 Blocks, and has scored double digits twice in those 7 games. Last night, he had 5 assists and 3 blocks. Since he started playing more minutes, the "weaker" Long's production is only 1.5 less rebounds per game than Hogan + Blackshear this year. Plus more assists and blocks per game. Somebody has coached him up.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby udballer » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:47 am

ptctitan wrote:Just to point out that since the first Oakland game, JJJr has not played more than 29 minutes in a game. And he also had scored 32 and 22 pts back-to-back vs YSU and IUPUI.

Since Cole Long started playing more minutes per game, he has recorded 33 rebounds, 19 assists, 10 Blocks, and has scored double digits twice in those 7 games. Last night, he had 5 assists and 3 blocks. Since he started playing more minutes, the "weaker" Long's production is only 1.5 less rebounds per game than Hogan + Blackshear this year. Plus more assists and blocks per game. Somebody has coached him up.

The problem with rushing to try to give credit to the coaching staff for small victories is that it opens the discussion up to include all of the small (or large) failures by the same coaching staff. Once again, you had a pretty good post going until the "somebody has coached him up" comment... which was overboard. You can't cite Cole Long (who still isn't much of a D1 basketball player) as a success for the coaching staff without citing Eichler, Tariiq, I, Jones & Jaleel as negatives... along with the regression / non-progression in performance from Blackshear, Allen & McFolley (from previous standards) as negatives. Also, as has been noted here hundreds of times there have been obvious misses in determining playing time in regards to JJJ, Prince, Dre, etc.

I think the net result of the coaching situation has been a train wreck. Still, I'm willing to ignore the dozens of issues I've seen on the negative side and not bring them up if you promise to stop making comments about how the coaching staff has "coached up" a player who remains borderline D1 even after said coaching. Fair enough? ;)
udballer
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:28 am

BA is coaching up Long so much, I'm worried he might declare for the draft. The National Basketball League of Canada draft. Long would play well in the Halifax Hurricanes system. Of course, Long grew up a fan of the St. John's Edge, and what Newfoundland boy didn't dream of someday wearing the navy, gold and grey? The wildcard team for Long is the Windsor Express. That would allow him to play pro ball and still take classes at Detroit Mercy to finish his degree.

That's the risk BA takes when he coaches these kids up so much I guess.
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titanmike » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:30 am

udballer wrote:
ptctitan wrote:Just to point out that since the first Oakland game, JJJr has not played more than 29 minutes in a game. And he also had scored 32 and 22 pts back-to-back vs YSU and IUPUI.

The problem with rushing to try to give credit to the coaching staff for small victories is that it opens the discussion up to include all of the small (or large) failures by the same coaching staff. Once again, you had a pretty good post going until the "somebody has coached him up" comment... which was overboard. You can't cite Cole Long (who still isn't much of a D1 basketball player) as a success for the coaching staff without citing Eichler, Tariiq, I, Jones & Jaleel as negatives... along with the regression / non-progression in performance from Blackshear, Allen & McFolley (from previous standards) as negatives. Also, as has been noted here hundreds of times there have been obvious misses in determining playing time in regards to JJJ, Prince, Dre, etc.

I think the net result of the coaching situation has been a train wreck. Still, I'm willing to ignore the dozens of issues I've seen on the negative side and not bring them up if you promise to stop making comments about how the coaching staff has "coached up" a player who remains borderline D1 even after said coaching. Fair enough? ;)

I would argue that with Tariq Jones, it would be an unfair assessment to say he was a negative. When he did play, I feel like he gave us some pretty good minutes. I would almost say the same of I. Jones. He is a virtual unknown commodity considering his lack of healthy playing time.
titanmike
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:32 am

udballer wrote:
ptctitan wrote: Still, I'm willing to ignore the dozens of issues I've seen on the negative side and not bring them up if you promise to stop making comments about how the coaching staff has "coached up" a player who remains borderline D1 even after said coaching. Fair enough? ;)

No.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby udballer » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:33 am

titanmike wrote:I would argue that with Tariq Jones, it would be an unfair assessment to say he was a negative. When he did play, I feel like he gave us some pretty good minutes. I would almost say the same of I. Jones. He is a virtual unknown commodity considering his lack of healthy playing time.

I don't disagree on the basketball front, Mike. The reason I include him is, in the end what was he to Detroit Mercy athletics? A quick timeline:

We give Tariiq a scholarship
Our coach tells Tariiq to S his D and he sits on the bench for a large chunk of games
He fails to qualify academically following fall semester
We'll probably not see him on the court again

To me, in total, that is a negative. He definitely contributed on the court for the handful of games he played here.

As far as I. Jones... I don't know how two years of scholarship for 100 minutes of basketball (over 13 games) can be viewed as a positive. Again, this is not a purely "on the court" statement by me. If it was, we'd obviously never know if he could have been productive at this level. Either way, he is a scholarship.
Last edited by udballer on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
udballer
Senior

Postby udballer » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:36 am

ptctitan wrote:
udballer wrote:
ptctitan wrote: Still, I'm willing to ignore the dozens of issues I've seen on the negative side and not bring them up if you promise to stop making comments about how the coaching staff has "coached up" a player who remains borderline D1 even after said coaching. Fair enough? ;)

No.

That's what I thought. I'll look forward to your next post regarding the "fairy dust" BA and JJ have sprinkled on Joubert in order to get him to contribute at this level. Great job by the staff. :roll:
udballer
Senior

Postby titanmike » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:15 pm

udballer wrote:
titanmike wrote:I would argue that with Tariq Jones, it would be an unfair assessment to say he was a negative. When he did play, I feel like he gave us some pretty good minutes. I would almost say the same of I. Jones. He is a virtual unknown commodity considering his lack of healthy playing time.

I don't disagree on the basketball front, Mike. The reason I include him is, in the end what was he to Detroit Mercy athletics? A quick timeline:

We give Tariiq a scholarship
Our coach tells Tariiq to S his D and he sits on the bench for a large chunk of games
He fails to qualify academically following fall semester
We'll probably not see him on the court again

To me, in total, that is a negative. He definitely contributed on the court for the handful of games he played here.

As far as I. Jones... I don't know how two years of scholarship for 100 minutes of basketball (over 13 games) can be viewed as a positive. Again, this is not a purely "on the court" statement by me. If it was, we'd obviously never know if he could have been productive at this level. Either way, he is a scholarship.

I took it as an on the court statement which is why I responded as such. Duly noted.
titanmike
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:37 pm

udballer wrote:

I think Long has improved, however, I doubt that it has anything to do with this coaching staff. He's improving because he is getting older and stronger. I only watched last nights game in bits in pieces, I did see him get a rebound in traffic and make a nice pass.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:15 pm

R.B.J1 wrote: I think Long has improved, however, I doubt that it has anything to do with this coaching staff. He's improving because he is getting older and stronger. I only watched last nights game in bits in pieces, I did see him get a rebound in traffic and make a nice pass.

It could also be fairy dust.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:10 pm

Today’s game is a “must win” if we want to avoid a RPI Ranking in the 300’s. As of today, the Titans sit proudly at #300 RPI.

How can having such a poorly performing team be acceptable to UDM? There can be no other option than a complete house cleaning at year end.
Titans96
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:21 pm

Titans96 wrote:Today’s game is a “must win” if we want to avoid a RPI Ranking in the 300’s. As of today, the Titans sit proudly at #300 RPI.

How can having such a poorly performing team be acceptable to UDM? There can be no other option than a complete house cleaning at year end.

Nothing motivates a team more than the threat of diving into 300+ RPI ranking.

I don't see how Vowels still has his job. If he's not dismissed immediately after the MBB season then I have to assume the university leadership/trustees are stupid or simply don't care. If they don't care, why should we?! Firing Vowels is a no brainer at this point.
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:28 pm

The Titans clearly took their position as one of the worst 50 teams in NCAA D1 with their loss today to RPI #321 Green Bay. Green Bay manhandled the Titans, and for two years running this Titan program (lead by Vowels/BA/JJSr) has been one of the worst D1 teams in the country plus we can't beat the GLIAC teams either. Well done, and way to make the UDM alumni proud!
Titans96
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:06 pm

Well, our amazing Titans now sit with the proud RPI ranking of #315! Who knows how much further we will fall?

It was just 1 year ago when BA lead our amazing Titans to a record low RPI ranking of #317, so I guess we improved over last year!

I find it interesting that PTC decided to compare BA and his crack coaching staff to Homer Drew in his early years. He must have been mistaken because BA is more like Homer Simpson.

Also, I think Vowels will claim his objective for BA's team this year was to improve their RPI and not get to a .500 record this year. I guess, mission accomplished! The Titan faithful are so proud of this team and BA's coaching skills that many are calling for his return next year so we can get our RPI to #313.

Seriously, I have to hope the entire coaching staff and AD team get the boot in March, or its a clear sign that the Titans will be moving to D3.
Titans96
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:07 pm

Maybe we should make BA the AD, we know he can,t coach, maybe he can manage. It might work like the old saying in sales. Those that can sell,sell. Those who can not sell manage and those who can not manage ADMINISTRATE.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:55 pm

Titan96 - I did not compare BA to Homer Drew. I responded to Commissioner's prior discussion of Homer Drew in the same topic with the actual W-L records of Drew's first 5 seasons at Valpo. My only comments were: 1) that Drew's ultimate success was unusual; and, 2) that I hoped that our turnaround would not take as long. All Homer Drew's record proves is that a coach's initial few years' W-L record does not predict conclusively the coach's long term success or failure. There are many examples of Hall of Fame coaches who averaged less than 10 W's per year in their first 2-3 seasons as a head coach only to improve and become very successful.
ptctitan
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball