YSU Preview 2/16/18

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: YSU Preview 2/16/18

Postby ptctitan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:55 pm

Any road win in conference is a good win. Every Titan who played tonight also had at least 1 assist.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:53 pm

The team statistics here were overwhelmingly good in every measure. Something to build on!

Detroit Mercy
All Stats
MIN FG 3PT FT OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
33 4-10 0-1 8-9 2 5 7 1 1 0 0 4 16
19 1-3 1-1 0-0 1 2 3 2 0 2 1 3 3
24 4-10 0-0 3-3 3 0 3 3 2 0 2 3 11
38 10-13 1-4 5-5 0 11 11 3 2 0 1 3 26
25 5-8 2-4 0-0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 12
MIN FG 3PT FT OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
9 0-4 0-2 2-2 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 2
25 5-9 2-4 0-0 0 1 1 2 1 0 0 2 12
27 3-8 0-3 6-6 0 1 1 2 4 0 3 1 12
32-65 6-19 24-25 8 21 29 16 10 2 8 17 94
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:10 pm

I expected this one to go to the wire and was pleasantly surprised not only by our 11-0 start to the 2nd half (something PW teams used to do) but also our ability to stave off the Penguins, especially when they cut it to 6 with plenty of time left. That happened because we didn't turn the ball over, kept a good offensive pace (didn't rush too much except when we had a true fastbreak opportunity) and grabbed enough defensive rebounds.

Defensively our guards still get beat off the dribble too easily. Our rotations are better but still not where they need to be. BA mentioned on the radio postgame that I. Jones is looking good in practice and he expects him back for UIC, a game where his inside presence could help. When we get beat on the dribble the only guy left to defend is Chatman and he is inconsistent at best in that job. We give up too many inside bunnies every game. BTW, Long continues to impress with his interior defense, and the trio of Chatman/Prince/Long did a good job on the defensive boards.

Offensively we had good pace again, pushing when we had numbers but pulling it out more often when the chances went away, and moving the ball better. Dre does a good job of that and I think he is rubbing off on the other guards. None of them are lighting it up but they all seem to be showing more patience, looking for Chatman and Prince inside, and making the extra pass more often. Against a bad team like YSU with little inside, Chatman is unstoppable. He was only 1-4 from 3 pt range but a perfect 9 for 9 from inside the arch and 5 for 5 from the line.

Bottom Line: Monday will be a tough one but yes Moose, it's OK to feel good. No matter how many we win, it's important to keep growing. This team could be good next year; not sure if Blackshear will be healthy, if I. Jones can come back or if Jack/Malik can mature into tougher inside towers, but we are improving and starting to show some of the signs I was looking for.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby udballer » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Sorry to rain a little bit on the parade, Tom. I agree with much of this. For instance, I agree that this team could be good next year. I say that, primarily, because the team should have been good this year... at least much better than they've been.

I don't think you're going to see either Jack or Malik "grow into tougher inside towers". That's simply not what they are. Neither of their strengths has anything to do with playing inside. In fact, the only real positive we've ever seen out of Malik was the ability to hit the 3 and stretch the defense a bit. Jack is a pretty smart passer and a very good outside shot for a big man. He is nothing close to an inside presence. He really wasn't even a dominant inside presence in high school, despite his obvious size advantage. We absolutely need a healthy (and better) Blackshear.

Our issues remain primarily on the defensive end and I've seen very little (If any) sign of improvement on that end. We've recently switched into playing some zone for stretches and we still give up high shooting percentages and far too many points.
udballer
Senior

Postby titandave » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:40 pm

udballer wrote:I don't think you're going to see either Jack or Malik "grow into tougher inside towers". That's simply not what they are. Neither of their strengths has anything to do with playing inside. In fact, the only real positive we've ever seen out of Malik was the ability to hit the 3 and stretch the defense a bit. Jack is a pretty smart passer and a very good outside shot for a big man. He is nothing close to an inside presence. He really wasn't even a dominant inside presence in high school, despite his obvious size advantage. We absolutely need a healthy (and better) Blackshear.

Understand and agree with your point on Jack and Malik; they have displayed limited effectiveness on the inside. We definitely need a healthy and improved Blackshear in the 2018-19. Based on posts under various topics; it's clear that a number of people would like to see Tariq Jones 'hit the road'. For several reasons I hope Tariq returns and one of the reasons is his ability to be effective in the paint. Here's food for thought regarding next season:

PG ... McFolley
SG ... Allen
SF ... Chatman
PF ... T. Jones
C .... Blackshear

In the rotation: JJJ, Long, & Ballantyne
titandave
Senior

Postby udballer » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:33 pm

titandave wrote:
udballer wrote:I don't think you're going to see either Jack or Malik "grow into tougher inside towers". That's simply not what they are. Neither of their strengths has anything to do with playing inside. In fact, the only real positive we've ever seen out of Malik was the ability to hit the 3 and stretch the defense a bit. Jack is a pretty smart passer and a very good outside shot for a big man. He is nothing close to an inside presence. He really wasn't even a dominant inside presence in high school, despite his obvious size advantage. We absolutely need a healthy (and better) Blackshear.

Understand and agree with your point on Jack and Malik; they have displayed limited effectiveness on the inside. We definitely need a healthy and improved Blackshear in the 2018-19. Based on posts under various topics; it's clear that a number of people would like to see Tariq Jones 'hit the road'. For several reasons I hope Tariq returns and one of the reasons is his ability to be effective in the paint. Here's food for thought regarding next season:

PG ... McFolley
SG ... Allen
SF ... Chatman
PF ... T. Jones
C .... Blackshear

In the rotation: JJJ, Long, & Ballantyne

I like it, Dave. I hope that is the way it plays out, though I have little confidence that McFolley starts over JJJ. I'm also hoping that you can add one or both of our incoming frosh to the "in the rotation" line. If we are able to get our hands on a couple of freshman who are good enough to contribute immediately, that would be a big boost.
udballer
Senior

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball