2018 Horizon League Basketball Tournament

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

2018 Horizon League Basketball Tournament

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:18 pm

Hard to believe, but the Horizon League Basketball Tournament tips off just two weeks from today. With Motor City Madness getting ready to roll, thought I’d start a thread on the topic.

Received the following information from the University today about an Alumni Tailgate that will take place prior to the Titans’ first-round game:

Tournament Dates – March 2-6, 2018

Join other Detroit Mercy alumni, faculty and coaches for some food, fun and fellowship. Then follow our Cheer Team into the arena to cheer our Titans on to victory.

WHEN: 90 minutes before our first tournament game -- We'll let you know when we know!

WHERE: The Legend Club in Little Caesars Arena

WHAT: Tailgate including snack buffet and cash bar

RSVP by Wednesday Feb. 28
Last edited by Rogobob77 on Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rogobob77
Senior

Re: 2018 Horizon League Basketball Tournament

Postby Titans96 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:13 pm

What a great opportunity for the Horizon League to hold its tourney at the LCA. It’s just too bad that half the league represents the worst basketball the NCAA D1 has to offer. Unless NKY or WSU win the tournament, the best the HL champ will get is a play-in game in Dayton. I’m not sure of the financial arrangements for the HL and LCA, but it is likely to be a very poorly attended tournament. No chance the LCA will want anything to do with the HL in the future. Plus after seeing the poor attendance for the UofM vs UDM game this season, the Titans have wasted a great opportunity for future interest by the LCA.

Even more reason to get rid of the Vowels/BA Organization at year end. What a disaster and dumpster fire these clowns are. There is almost zero chance for improvement next year if they stay.
Titans96
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:55 pm

96, I have lots going on my life right now that makes me grumpy, and my wife calls me on it. But I'm not ALWAYS like that. Maybe you have negatives going on in your life as well (we all do) but try to relax and enjoy the sunshine a bit. You are the single most negative person. The Titans aren't going Div II. We have a solid President at the top of the organization and we will turn this around. When? not sure. With whom in charge? not sure. But it WILL happen again and maybe under the current regime, even. Enjoy life.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:01 pm

Tony Paul article from The Detroit News:

“Horizon League ‘encouraged’ by LCA ticket sales”

http://detne.ws/2HuZdSK
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:35 am

Titans96 wrote:What a great opportunity for the Horizon League to hold its tourney at the LCA. It’s just too bad that half the league represents the worst basketball the NCAA D1 has to offer. Unless NKY or WSU win the tournament, the best the HL champ will get is a play-in game in Dayton. I’m not sure of the financial arrangements for the HL and LCA, but it is likely to be a very poorly attended tournament. No chance the LCA will want anything to do with the HL in the future. Plus after seeing the poor attendance for the UofM vs UDM game this season, the Titans have wasted a great opportunity for future interest by the LCA.

Even more reason to get rid of the Vowels/BA Organization at year end. What a disaster and dumpster fire these clowns are. There is almost zero chance for improvement next year if they stay.

Yes, but how do you feel about JJ and JJJ?
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:45 pm

The Titans have almost clinched the 10th seed in the Horizon League Tournament. To avoid the #10 seed, we would have to win both our weekend games, while Cleveland State and/or Green Bay lose out. The highest we can be seeded is 8th.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:13 pm

Commissioner wrote:The Titans have almost clinched the 10th seed in the Horizon League Tournament. To avoid the #10 seed, we would have to win both our weekend games, while Cleveland State and/or Green Bay lose out. The highest we can be seeded is 8th.

Since one of our games this weekend is against GB, there is a 50-50 chance that GB could lose out.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:10 pm

Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:14 pm

ptctitan wrote:
Commissioner wrote:The Titans have almost clinched the 10th seed in the Horizon League Tournament. To avoid the #10 seed, we would have to win both our weekend games, while Cleveland State and/or Green Bay lose out. The highest we can be seeded is 8th.

Since one of our games this weekend is against GB, there is a 50-50 chance that GB could lose out.

Even if we beat Green Bay, we'll be seeded behind them unless we also beat Milwaukee AND Green Bay also loses to Oakland.

Cleveland State only has one game left, against Youngstown.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:20 pm

Can't believe that 6 years ago we were an NCAA tourney team and now we're trying to figure out if we can avoid the cellar/10 seed in a Horizon League without Loyola and Valpo. FFS.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:48 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Can't believe that 6 years ago we were an NCAA tourney team and now we're trying to figure out if we can avoid the cellar/10 seed in a Horizon League without Loyola and Valpo. FFS.

Butler was also in the league when we last went to the tournament.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby titandave » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:53 pm

I expect YSU to beat Cleveland State, Oakland to defeat Green Bay and I believe we'll get the win against GB. However, I'm less confident about a W in our game vs. Milwaukee.
Last edited by titandave on Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
titandave
Senior

Postby udballer » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:57 pm

No reason we shouldn't beat both of the Wisconsin teams and tie our season-long winning streak heading into the tournament. We are at home, and every bit as talented as either of those teams.
udballer
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:22 pm

CSU just best YSU in 2OTs, Green Bay finishes the season all alone in 7th place and will be the Titans’ first-round opponent in the HL tournament at 5:30 pm next Friday.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:51 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:Hard to believe, but the Horizon League Basketball Tournament tips off just two weeks from today. With Motor City Madness getting ready to roll, thought I’d start a thread on the topic.

Received the following information from the University today about an Alumni Tailgate that will take place prior to the Titans’ first-round game:

Tournament Dates – March 2 - 6, 2018

Join other Detroit Mercy alumni, faculty and coaches for some food, fun and fellowship. Then follow our Cheer Team into the arena to cheer our Titans on to victory.

WHEN: 90 minutes before our first tournament game -- We'll let you know when we know!

WHERE: The Legend Club in Little Caesars Arena

WHAT: Tailgate including snack buffet and cash bar

RSVP by Wednesday Feb. 28

I’m glad we are rolling out the red carpet with the tailgate since this will be the only game that we play.
The-Dude
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:32 pm

Normally I'd say 4pm is a bit early to start drinking, but in this case I'd say you're gonna need it.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:28 am

Since I turn into a pumpkin at 6:00 pm EST, that should be just enough time to get the drift on who will move on in the tournament. If I am dead tired the next day, the Titans at least made it interesting. I think the miracle events for the this year have already passed, but hope springs eternal in this old Titan.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:46 pm

So the seeding is now determined. If we somehow beat Green Bay in the opening round, our Quarterfinal loss will be to Wright State.

BTW, if we don't beat Green Bay, we'll finish the season with a worse overall record than last year.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:38 pm

We have no chance in the Tournament and I'm not interested in seeing us get bounced by Wright State even if we manage to beat GB. I also have no interest in paying extortionist Ilitch prices at LCA. This season was just the worst. I've been for giving the staff 3 years but I'm really rethinking it. I don't know how we get back to prominence. The team is full of problems. Josh playing less than JJJ. Hogan losing academic eligibility. Ballantyne shows little promise. Cole Long and Dre Black played to the best of their abilities but what does that say? Corey Allen, if I were advising him not as a fan but as an advisor, would tell him to get off this sinking ship. It just goes on and on. Defense is ghastly and that is supposed to be BA's strength. The frustration with this team and the way it was mismanaged is overwhelming.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:14 pm

For all the office pools out there that track the Horizon League’s Motor City Madness, here’s the official bracket:

http://horizonleague.org/documents/2018 ... racket.pdf
Rogobob77
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball