Who would be your next coach

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Who would be your next coach

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:52 pm

Tony Paul
@TonyPaul1984. 2h
At the Final Four, Detroit Mercy athletic director Robert Vowels reached out to the agent of Lindsey Hunter, I'm hearing. Interesting.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:30 pm

Looks like Izzo might need a new job soon. This breaking story about MSU is just awful. We need to change the way universities and athletics programs handle themselves.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:31 pm

New gang rape allegations involving three MSU basketball players could sink Dwayne Stephens' chances for the Titan job if there is any indication that the Spartan hoops staff might have been complacent in not reporting the incident to law enforcement authorities.

According to the Detroit Free Press, “it wasn't immediately clear Monday if MSU coach Tom Izzo or anyone in the MSU athletic department was notified about the allegations.”

What if the University was close to agreeing to terms with Stephens, but now that option is delayed or precluded by the emerging scandal?
Last edited by Rogobob77 on Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:46 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Tony Paul
@TonyPaul1984. 2h
At the Final Four, Detroit Mercy athletic director Robert Vowels reached out to the agent of Lindsey Hunter, I'm hearing. Interesting.

Hunter has a bit of recent collegiate coaching experience as an assistant at Buffalo (the 2016-17 season). He has also been an assistant coach in the NBA ranks. Not sure what he’s been doing the past year.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:12 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Tony Paul
@TonyPaul1984. 2h

Tony Paul gets his information from detroittitanhoops.com and http://udtitanbasketball.freeforums.net, Lindsey Hunter was mentioned as a potential candidate in the second post of this thread. :roll: :lol:
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:15 pm

He's earning his $25,000 per year.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Engine44 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:09 pm

How bout STEVE HALL from CASS Tech?
Engine44

Postby udballer » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:17 pm

Engine44 wrote:How bout STEVE HALL from CASS Tech?

Is that you again, Steve? :D

I don't know enough about Steve Hall to comment... much. He checks the box for state titles... though I wouldn't put a Class D title as high on the list. He was an assistant at Duquesne for some rocky years. I still think if we were to go to a Michigan High School coach, Michael Thomas would be at the top of my list. I like where your head's at though. We need some outside the box thinking to get out of this hole we dug.
udballer
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:27 pm

udballer wrote:
Engine44 wrote:How bout STEVE HALL from CASS Tech?

Is that you again, Steve? :D

I don't know enough about Steve Hall to comment... much. He checks the box for state titles... though I wouldn't put a Class D title as high on the list. He was an assistant at Duquesne for some rocky years. I still think if we were to go to a Michigan High School coach, Michael Thomas would be at the top of my list. I like where your head's at though. We need some outside the box thinking to get out of this hole we dug.

If we are going that route how about Adam Mercier from North Central. Talk about a guy that makes the right calls and he has the national record for consecutive wins and he is a young guy. If you watch his teams they are like a machine. Very well coached even when he has no talent.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby titandave » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:42 pm

ExcitedTitan wrote:Corenell Mann looks interesting. I'd take him over JJ and Ernie Zeigler any day and the DII guy most days.

I like the idea of offering Cornell Mann the head coaching job at UDM. :)
titandave
Senior

Postby udballer » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:16 pm

upbasketballfan wrote: If we are going that route how about Adam Mercier from North Central. Talk about a guy that makes the right calls and he has the national record for consecutive wins and he is a young guy. If you watch his teams they are like a machine. Very well coached even when he has no talent.

I agree that Mercier's teams look well coached... though he's also had above average talent for UP Class D for a while now... with Granquist through Whitens/Bilski. You'd be the expert on what kind of coach he actually is. I have deep-rooted fears of turning my college basketball team over to a guy who just lost to Carney Nadeau in districts. :D
udballer
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:30 pm

udballer wrote:
upbasketballfan wrote: If we are going that route how about Adam Mercier from North Central. Talk about a guy that makes the right calls and he has the national record for consecutive wins and he is a young guy. If you watch his teams they are like a machine. Very well coached even when he has no talent.

I agree that Mercier's teams look well coached... though he's also had above average talent for UP Class D for a while now... with Granquist through Whitens/Bilski. You'd be the expert on what kind of coach he actually is. I have deep-rooted fears of turning my college basketball team over to a guy who just lost to Carney Nadeau in districts. :D

Mercier had nothing this year but still won over 50% of his games. One of the reasons he had such talent was he was working with the kids from 6th grade up. I watched them against Norway and Mercier did not have a player who could have started for Norway but North Central won. North Central did beat Southfield Christian last year with their 3-4 D1 recruits. Before the game started it was obvious that itn was talent against coaching and in this game every card was played perfectly and the coach won the game for his school.I just threw Mercier out there because if we are going to hire a Michigan HS coach then how about the most successful one in the country. I truly do not think he can recruit the right guys to do what we need here. I feel we need an experienced seasoned coach with 3 really young aggressive assistants and maybe he can groom one of the assistants in 3 years. i didn't know about Lickliter until he was brought up on here. i researched him and he looks to be an excellent fit. Would be a lot better than Ernie or Smith or probably Dawkins.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:51 pm

From Hoopdirt.com

I’ve heard former Detroit Piston Lindsey Hunter’s name at Detroit Mercy. Hunter is a former first round pick by the Pistons who played in Detroit from 1993-2000. He also spent time as an assistant in the league. I have also heard former Butler and Iowa head coach Todd Lickliter mentioned here as well. Most recently he has been working as a scout for the Boston Celtics.

https://hoopdirt.com/daily-dirt-4-11-18/
HSScout1
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:00 pm

If we can believe any of the rumors that have been printed (nothing is coming from the Kremlin...I mean Calihan Hall), then we currently have 5 candidates for the position. Dwayne Stephens, Lindsey Hunter, Rick Mahorn, Butch Pierre and Todd Lickliter. If I had my choice among these 5 candidates I would rank them in the following order:

#1. Lindsey Hunter (I wish Lindsey Hunter had more than one year of coaching at the collegiate level).

#2. Todd Lickliter (Todd Lickliter could probably keep us at or around .500 ever year, however, he's 62 years old and it would be easy for our other schools to use his age to negatively recruit against us).

#3. Butch Pierre (Butch Pierre, never heard of him, but he did work for Tubby Smith and McSam likes Tubby a lot, but Pierre is very blah and vanilla to me).

#4. Dwayne Stephens (Dwayne Stephens would've been my choice, but I don't want to go the Big 10 assistant route again, and also there is too much drama going on at MSU, and who really knows how much Stephens was involved. We cant afford to gamble with Stephens at this time).

#5. Rick Mahorn (Rick Mahorn is a no from the start, the guy is 60 years old and has never coached in college, why does he want to do it now)?
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:17 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:If we can believe any of the rumors that have been printed (nothing is coming from the Kremlin...I mean Calihan Hall), then we currently have 5 candidates for the position. Dwayne Stephens, Lindsey Hunter, Rick Mahorn, Butch Pierre and Todd Lickliter. If I had my choice among these 5 candidates I would rank them in the following order:

#1. Lindsey Hunter (I wish Lindsey Hunter had more than one year of coaching at the collegiate level).

#2. Todd Lickliter (Todd Lickliter could probably keep us at or around .500 ever year, however, he's 62 years old and it would be easy for our other schools to use his age to negatively recruit against us).

#3. Butch Pierre (Butch Pierre, never heard of him, but he did work for Tubby Smith and McSam likes Tubby a lot, but Pierre is very blah and vanilla to me).

#4. Dwayne Stephens (Dwayne Stephens would've been my choice, but I don't want to go the Big 10 assistant route again, and also there is too much drama going on at MSU, and who really knows how much Stephens was involved. We cant afford to gamble with Stephens at this time).

#5. Rick Mahorn (Rick Mahorn is a no from the start, the guy is 60 years old and has never coached in college, why does he want to do it now)?

The very few rumors that are leaking to the press are very concerning. If these are the best candidates that we can attract, we might screwed.
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:44 pm

Of the coaches mentioned above, I like Butch Pierre. Long time assistant, he was the Assistant HC at LSU from 2002-2008 and the interim HC at LSU (5-5). Besides Memphis and LSU he had asst coaching spots at Oklahoma St and NC State on his resume.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby udballer » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:03 pm

I pretty much like the five coaches above in the same order as RBJ, basically. If I had to rank them... I may only switch the bottom two. I want no piece of MSU right now.
udballer
Senior

Postby udballer » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:07 pm

Not sure why we've not heard more about Dawkins this time around unless it's all due to his son? I thought he was the best option last time around and I'd certainly still have him up there with the names that are being mentioned now.
udballer
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:12 pm

Per Tony Paul

Current UNLV assistant Andre LaFleur, a former assistant at UConn and Providence, appears to have had some contact in regard to the Detroit Mercy HC job. Ties to the city appear nonexistent.
Last edited by HSScout1 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HSScout1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:12 pm

If Lickliter can match BA's two year run he'd then be eligible for full Social Security benefits.
Tacitus651
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball