Who would be your next coach

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Who would be your next coach

Postby JimmyChitwood » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:44 am

ptctitan wrote:Coaching Changes reporting:

"Andre LeFluer from UNLV on campus at Detroit today, please help us understand this one, NO Detroit or Midwest tie #RunningFromMarv"

Maybe he is a good coach. Maybe he is the best coach out there. I think ties to the region is overrated, especially when he can get assistants from the midwest. The coaching community is not that large. Coaches know each other, or know a coach who knows a coach. I don't mind on taking a chance on someone who is an "obvious" choice.

Speaking of "obvious" choices, I haven't heard any of these guys mentioned:
David Greer
Lorenzo Neely
E.J. Haralson
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:48 am

Let's at least spell it right since it looks like he might be the guy

LEFLEUR

The coaching changes guy has it wrong
Last edited by HSScout1 on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HSScout1
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:55 am

Actually, it is LaFleur according to the UNLV website.

I'm growing skeptical of Coaching Changes' opinions because the site seems to be regurgitating Tony Paul (not the friendliest of reporters towards UD) and it seems to have an agenda of getting Ernie Zeigler the job.

LaFleur played for Jim Calhoun at Northeastern, coached under Calhoun for 10 years at U Conn; and, coached at Providence under Ed Cooley. So, he's not exactly chopped liver. We've had coaches with ties to the area that failed; e.g., Sicko and Alexander. We've had coaches without ties to the area succeed; e.g., Vitale and McCallum (for the first half of his career).

Also, UNLV landed Amauri Hardy from Farmington and McCoy from Chicago.

Zeigler, the guy with ties to the area, did not recruit many Detroit or Michigan players to play at CMU. Plus, he coached 6 years at CMU without a winning record in any season.

When someone like Tony Paul (pro-Oakland Grizzlies) starts talking down a candidate, I want to know what he fears from that candidate. I'm not saying that LaFleur is the guy. Dawkins, if he is in the mix, is certainly an interesting option - at least on paper. But when an adversary makes a criticism, I want to know why.
Last edited by ptctitan on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:59 am

After reading Andre LaFleur bio he would be one of the top picks for me. He can definitely recruit. Hopefully we can get some guys that can throw it down like back in the ray days with Dunkin Doug. I do like watch good solid team play but a high fly dunk sprinkled in is always fun to watch and can get the crowd going
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:05 pm

ptctitan
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:15 pm

JimmyChitwood wrote:
ptctitan wrote:Coaching Changes reporting:

"Andre LeFluer from UNLV on campus at Detroit today, please help us understand this one, NO Detroit or Midwest tie #RunningFromMarv"

Maybe he is a good coach. Maybe he is the best coach out there. I think ties to the region is overrated, especially when he can get assistants from the midwest. The coaching community is not that large. Coaches know each other, or know a coach who knows a coach. I don't mind on taking a chance on someone who is an "obvious" choice.

Thanks ptc for the update from Coaching Changes. JC, I agree, ties to the region are overrated. For example, Dick Vitale was from the east but he quickly established relationships with the Detroit area coaches. It's a plus to hire someone who already has local ties (like Perry Watson did and Dawkins can do) but a good coach will overcome that initial obstacle. They will use the connections they already have and by the second year they will have built up a level of trust with the local coaches.

udballer wrote:
titanmike wrote:I think we have to take some of it with a grain of salt. Tony Paul can't name a source and things are pretty buttoned up down at 6 and Livernois. Ziegler may not even be a candidate at all.

Good point, Mike. For all we know they may simply be ironing out the final details of Dawkins' contract at this moment. Negotiating back and forth on that additional $20K that Dawkins claims to need in order to dress as well as his predecessor. ;)

baller, it appears Vowels is countering Dawkins negotiation tactic for more money with a power move of his own by bringing LeFleur to the campus today at the same time that Dawkins is in Vowel's office sitting across the table from RV discussing the proposal......... 8-)
Last edited by TitanVoiceofReason on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:29 pm

So, LaFleur was Cooley's recruiting guy at Providence for 5 years through the end of the 2015-16 season. They turned it around at Providence from 15-17 in their first year to 24-11 in LaFleur's final year. Plus Providence has had two more 20-game win seasons since LaFleur left for UNLV after the end of the 2015-16 season.

At UNLV, the team went from 11-21 in their first year with LaFleur to 20-13 this past season.

Just pointing out these facts to show that considering LaFleur for our HC job is not a completely irrational decision.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:33 pm

ptctitan wrote:Here's an article from 2016 saying that LaFleur was in the mix here in 2016.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/20160425/andre-lafleur-heads-to-unlv-with-fond-memories-of-5-years-with-friars

ptc, after reading the article, it's good that Vowels has had contact with LaFleur before (2016). He's not an unknown to RV.

This part of the story grabbed my attention:

LaFleur, who’ll be replaced as a recruiting assistant at Providence by Ivan Thomas, faces a major rebuilding job at UNLV. Due to transfers, jumps to the NBA and recruits backing off commitments, the Rebels currently have four players in their program for the 2016-17 season. “I got out here Friday and haven’t left the office or my phone ever since,” he said.

At UNLV he has been down the road we are on right now and helped UNLV successfully navigate it. That's a plus.
Last edited by TitanVoiceofReason on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:13 pm

Lickliter got/took the Evansville assistant coaching position - maybe another sign that our position is now going to Lefleur
HSScout1
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:28 pm

The more I read about Lefleur the more I like him over the names mentioned.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:45 pm

Link to LeFleur’s bio page on the UNLV website:

http://www.unlvrebels.com/sports/m-bask ... 14733.html
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:49 pm

At Northeastern LaFleur played PG and was the all-time Division 1 leader in assists with 894.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:59 pm

JimmyChitwood wrote:The more I read about Lefleur the more I like him over the names mentioned.

If he is hired as our new coach, I would be happy.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:39 pm

If we were to hire him, we would have two head coaches named "Guy"
titanmike
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:17 pm

Lickliter? I hardly know her!
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:03 pm

Lefleur rumors were false. Basically he tweeted the following with a photo of himself working in Vegas today.

Grindin with @MarvinMenzies and @EricBrownUNLV. #inVegas #runninrebels #inthomasandmack #justbecauseitsontheinternet? https://t.co/WrpOEqsaV8
HSScout1
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:52 pm

HSScout1 wrote:Lefleur rumors were false. Basically he tweeted the following with a photo of himself working in Vegas today.

Grindin with @MarvinMenzies and @EricBrownUNLV. #inVegas #runninrebels #inthomasandmack #justbecauseitsontheinternet? https://t.co/WrpOEqsaV8

Thats what I get for believing Tony Paul-Kampe, I've been bamboozled, led astray, took, had, run amok and hoodwinked. :shock: :o :oops:
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:00 pm

Coaching Changes tweets that rumor at about 11 am this morning. Then, two hours later, Tony Paul tweets that "sources" say that LaFleur is on campus meeting about the HC job.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:08 pm

FWIW, Detroit Mercy may not eventually end up being the last D1 school to fill its MBB head coach position. Siena College today accepted the resignation of men’s head basketball coach Jimmy Patsos. Pastos was under investigation by the college following reports that he taunted and verbally abused a team student-manager who has a mental disorder — including referring to the student as “the next Unabomber.” The Saints finished the 2017-18 season with a record of 8-24.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:45 pm

On the other Board, it was posted that Ziegler brought in Bass, HOoan & Foster-Smith while an a**'t to Ray, and that was pointed out as a reason TO hire him...that's he a good recruiter. All talented players and all nice guys to talk to, but if you look at how each ended their Titan Career, how could you EVER want Ziegler? We need a man of character who recruits solid players who can stay in school academically and contribute on the floor for 4 years. No Ziegler, please!
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball