Who would be your next coach

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Who would be your next coach

Postby Shags-DC » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:48 pm

Has anyone mentioned John Beilein's son, Patrick? He is rumored to be the top candidate for Siena in the MAAC. 27-7 last season at LeMoyne and in the D-2 Elite 8.

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2018/04/john_beileins_son_patrick_and.html
Shags-DC
Sophmore

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:56 pm

I think someone mentioned him a while back. And you just mentioned him now, which makes him one of our few realistic candidates. What the hell is going on? Vowels can't make a hire?! Even more depressing, no media or social media experts seem to even care about our selection.
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:57 pm

I agree, Patrick Beilein is a good candidate. One possible explanation we haven't heard his name mentioned is because things didn't work out with BA. Perhaps John Beilein and Vowels think we and his son may not be a good match at this time. The timing may not be right. On the other hand, for all we know, they may be talking right now.

A couple of guys mentioned Scott Cross. He was fired from UT-Arlington even though his teams have posted a 72-33 record over the last three years. From what I read, nothing sinister, it appears he and the AD didn't get along.

As anxious as I am , I have no choice but to sit tight and wait for the white smoke to come from Calihan Hall announcing that a new pope, I mean, our new coach has been chosen.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:21 am

This unpleasant season drags on and on ... Did not like all the discord here among posters (my contributions to that discord included). We need to be pulling together for the program. Hope we see TVOR's white smoke soon so we have something to look forward to instead of fearing the worst.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:37 am

ptctitan wrote:This unpleasant season drags on and on ... Did not like all the discord here among posters (my contributions to that discord included). We need to be pulling together for the program. Hope we see TVOR's white smoke soon so we have something to look forward to instead of fearing the worst.

I could not agree more. This is supposed to be fun.
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:54 am

It's very disappointing. I can accept begrudgingly the waiting part. I feel though the lack of any communication is disheartening. At the very least without saying who candidates are, a note that says we are looking at a variety of candidates etc , blah blah blah, would be more acceptable then having zero enthusiasm.
titanmike
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:10 am

titanmike wrote:It's very disappointing. I can accept begrudgingly the waiting part. I feel though the lack of any communication is disheartening. At the very least without saying who candidates are, a note that says we are looking at a variety of candidates etc , blah blah blah, would be more acceptable then having zero enthusiasm.

I have never seen such a tight lid. The only real lead was about the guy from UNLV turned out to be truly fake news. I have not heard of one person who we are actually looking at, was on campus, said they might be interest, or who's sister's cousin-in-law's neighbor's brother saw a guy that looked like a coach having some chili cheese fries at UofD Coney. Usually something leaks out somewhere.

And if we had gotten our first choice it seems that all of the details would have been worked out by now. I hope we are not down to the C or D list. But then again, Ray was Keri's 2nd choice and that worked out fairly well.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:54 am

JimmyChitwood wrote:
titanmike wrote:It's very disappointing. I can accept begrudgingly the waiting part. I feel though the lack of any communication is disheartening. At the very least without saying who candidates are, a note that says we are looking at a variety of candidates etc , blah blah blah, would be more acceptable then having zero enthusiasm.

I have never seen such a tight lid. The only real lead was about the guy from UNLV turned out to be truly fake news. I have not heard of one person who we are actually looking at, was on campus, said they might be interest, or who's sister's cousin-in-law's neighbor's brother saw a guy that looked like a coach having some chili cheese fries at UofD Coney. Usually something leaks out somewhere.

And if we had gotten our first choice it seems that all of the details would have been worked out by now. I hope we are not down to the C or D list. But then again, Ray was Keri's 2nd choice and that worked out fairly well.

There is reference on the other board that Pitino will be on campus on Sat.. Maybe Vowels has taken so long that Pitino is actually coming in as AD with his staff already set up and recruiting.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:36 am

upbasketballfan wrote:
JimmyChitwood wrote:

There is reference on the other board that Pitino will be on campus on Sat.. Maybe Vowels has taken so long that Pitino is actually coming in as AD with his staff already set up and recruiting.

First of all UDM can't afford Pitino so lets stop this rumor
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:10 pm

FWIW, an article on Pitino as an option for the vacant Siena job says he is interested in coaching at a “small, Catholic school.” Redemption, not money, seems to be the motivator: "The only thing I'm looking for, wherever I'm going to coach, is to impact the lives of people in some positive way," Pitino said. "I'm not looking to become wealthy. I'm not looking to be famous. I want to impact lives."
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rumpole59 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:14 pm

TVOR: We are with you waiting for white smoke from Calihan. Might today be the day?

It’s 420.
Rumpole59
Junior

Postby upbasketballfan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:01 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:FWIW, an article on Pitino as an option for the vacant Siena job says he is interested in coaching at a “small, Catholic school.” Redemption, not money, seems to be the motivator: "The only thing I'm looking for, wherever I'm going to coach, is to impact the lives of people in some positive way," Pitino said. "I'm not looking to become wealthy. I'm not looking to be famous. I want to impact lives."

I'm not sure there is anywhere in the country that needs to be impacted more than Liv. & 6. We have been sitting around since Vitale jumped ship waiting for a miracle. Pitino could be it!
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:53 pm

Rumpole59 wrote:TVOR: We are with you waiting for white smoke from Calihan. Might today be the day?

It’s 420.

It could be, it could be.......of all days, today would be most appropriate. At 420 smoke of some kind may come from Calihan whether we have a new coach or not.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:04 pm

TitanVoiceofReason wrote:
Rumpole59 wrote:TVOR: We are with you waiting for white smoke from Calihan. Might today be the day?

It’s 420.

It could be, it could be.......of all days, today would be most appropriate. At 420 smoke of some kind may come from Calihan whether we have a new coach or not.

If Robert Vowels announces the new head coach at 1620 on a Friday, then I will officially state that he isnt the sharpest knife in the drawer and that he isnt the brightest bulb in the box. Most orginizations announce bad news on Fridays after 1600. Robert Vowels Jr. cant be this dumb. :roll:
Last edited by R.B.J1 on Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:26 pm

Michael Thomas would already have gotten Allen /McFolley back in the fold... inked Bryce Washington and Norman... and be working to flip Brandon Johns from UofM. :)
udballer
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:10 am

I have a feeling Vowels has already selected his coach and is waiting for approval. I hope this decision is not being held up buy one of the same people who have been responsible for a lot of the very poor decisions that have been made at Liv. & 6 over the years and we will not find out until they die that they are Kampe's third cousins removed who for years have been trying to repay a slight that occurred 50 yrs. ago.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:57 pm

Tony Paul article from The Detroit News, nothing really new:

“Detroit Mercy one of five DI schools without basketball coach”

https://detne.ws/2Howdf0
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:06 pm

I don't see what the hold up could be. I'm guessing we end up with Zeigler, Hunter, or someone very similar. What holds that up? Salary? Perhaps, but not for this long. If Vowels is waiting for approval from anyone above him (Garibaldi, trustees), then they royally screwed this program given we missed a signing period. Maybe coaches simply don't want to coach at UDM? Maybe Garibaldi did tell Vowels to keep the salary to around 300K and it limits us? I'm just very disappointed and confused. I know I'm not alone in that.
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:22 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I don't see what the hold up could be. I'm guessing we end up with Zeigler, Hunter, or someone very similar. What holds that up? Salary? Perhaps, but not for this long. If Vowels is waiting for approval from anyone above him (Garibaldi, trustees), then they royally screwed this program given we missed a signing period. Maybe coaches simply don't want to coach at UDM? Maybe Garibaldi did tell Vowels to keep the salary to around 300K and it limits us? I'm just very disappointed and confused. I know I'm not alone in that.

Perhaps they had a tentative pick but something negative surfaced in the background/reference check phase torpedoing the selection (or maybe the the #1 candidate withdrew his name at the very last minute). From my HR experience I know that a reboot like that often happens in the process of filling a position. The problem here of course is that time is of the essence, and even adding just a week or two to the timeline can really put the eventual selectee behind the 8-ball in retaining/recruiting players.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:24 pm

Tony Paul of the Detroit News tweets:

“I am hearing -- seriously -- that Detroit Mercy has reached out to Rick Pitino. This coaching search is all over the map, and nobody knows where it's going.”

FWIW, a post on the udtitanbasketball message board first reported UDM-Pitino contacts on April 16. Subsequent posts say Rick was on campus this past Saturday, and suggests a press conference will take place tomorrow.
Rogobob77
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball