Who would be your next coach

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Who would be your next coach

Postby R.B.J1 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:35 pm

HSScout1 wrote:Per Tony Paul

Current UNLV assistant Andre LaFleur, a former assistant at UConn and Providence, appears to have had some contact in regard to the Detroit Mercy HC job. Ties to the city appear nonexistent.

Interesting, I scrolled through UNLVREBELS.COM and noticed two Detroit connections, one is Brandon Jenkins is listed as a program assistant, he played at Detroit Southeastern and Louisville. Amauri Hardy of North Farmington was a freshman guard last season. If Lafleur gets the job it will be reminiscent of the late Ricky Byrdsong getting the job back in 1988.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:35 pm

Current UNLV assistant Andre LaFleur, a former assistant at UConn and Providence, appears to have had some contact in regard to the Detroit Mercy HC job. Ties to the city appear nonexistent.

He likes to swear:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... id=2536669
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:03 am

Did that contact occur in the beer line at the Final Four?
ptctitan
Senior

Postby udballer » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:26 pm

If ties to Detroit aren't necessary, I'd suggest Scott Cross... recently fired from UT-Arlington... if he hasn't already be suggested. After all, I'd rather watch Detroit Mercy field a team of Texans than a team that celebrates the Canadian coastal regions.
udballer
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:01 pm

I think Robert Vowels Jr. wants to be the next mens basketball coach. He's going to wait until October, and state that he couldn't find a qualified candidate and name himself head mens basketball coach. This is borderline ridiculous. :x
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:10 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:I think Robert Vowels Jr. wants to be the next mens basketball coach. He's going to wait until October, and state that he couldn't find a qualified candidate and name himself head mens basketball coach. This is borderline ridiculous. :x

Disagree to this extent. While you can make a legitimate argument that Vowels waited too long to fire Bacari and start the search for a new HC, I do think that it is more important to vet properly and carefully the list of applicants - especially those that make the final cut. Yes, this increases the chances of a very bad 2018-19 W-L record, but if the result of a stronger vetting process is a good choice, then the extra pain will worth it.

It should be remembered that we announced Ray McCallum's hiring on April 16, 2008. Good or bad longer term, the immediate results were not too shabby beginning in Ray's second season.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:39 pm

ptctitan wrote:
R.B.J1 wrote:I think Robert Vowels Jr. wants to be the next mens basketball coach. He's going to wait until October, and state that he couldn't find a qualified candidate and name himself head mens basketball coach. This is borderline ridiculous. :x

Disagree to this extent. While you can make a legitimate argument that Vowels waited too long to fire Bacari and start the search for a new HC, I do think that it is more important to vet properly and carefully the list of applicants - especially those that make the final cut. Yes, this increases the chances of a very bad 2018-19 W-L record, but if the result of a stronger vetting process is a good choice, then the extra pain will worth it.

It should be remembered that we announced Ray McCallum's hiring on April 16, 2008. Good or bad longer term, the immediate results were not too shabby beginning in Ray's second season.

There already looks to be nothing left for the new coach. He would have to be a miracle worker to get 8 wins in his second season. Nothing left in the pantry and no 2018 recruiting class. How many wins do we expect in two years with a team of freshmen at Liv. and 6 and 500 fans in the stands? How many good recruits will be lining up for one of the worst D1 programs in the US? Probably only players who have doubt as to their D1 status. Then we will have a bunch of UD alums on here calling for the coaches head. This is actually turning into a cartoon. I used to tell people when I was hiring them for a position that the job is not that difficult there are just a lot of really stupid people out there trying to make it difficult. Robert and the Search Committee the signing period has started SO EITHER PRODUCE A GREAT COACH OR HIT THE ROAD. YOU ARE NOT FIXING A PROBLEM YOU ARE THE PROBLEM! We are not at the bakery shopping for a cake you already have pie on your face so get it off and get going.
Last edited by upbasketballfan on Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby ExcitedTitan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:41 pm

Is there is a Robert Vowels Jr. Jr.? Hire him and continue the tradition of keeping it all in the UofD or genetic family.
ExcitedTitan
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:10 pm

Tony Paul tweets that Ernie Zeigler is the front runner

Ernie Zeigler, former CMU head coach and Detroit Mercy assistant who's now an assistant at Mississippi State, appears to have become a front-runner to become the next UDM head coach.
HSScout1
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:20 pm

HSScout1 wrote:Tony Paul tweets that Ernie Zeigler is the front runner

Ernie Zeigler, former CMU head coach and Detroit Mercy assistant who's now an assistant at Mississippi State, appears to have become a front-runner to become the next UDM head coach.

Z’s 75-111 record as CMU head coach would be the obvious negative here.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby udballer » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:22 pm

Ziegler doesn't move the needle for me, personally. Beggars can't be choosers, I guess. Not much there to get excited about.

The guy had six seasons as a D1 head coach in the state of Michigan and never had a winning season, even with his son's assistance. He kinda makes Coach Ray look like Jim Boeheim.
udballer
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:29 pm

Ernie Ziegler? Is this how far we have fallen? I hope that this isn’t really true. Now, I am really depressed. ☹️
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:00 pm

"A front runner" implies there are other front runners. Hopefully. Zeigler is an uninspiring option.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:17 pm

I agree about Ziegler being uninspiring. Alex, I'll take Lou Dawkins for $1,000........

Actually his only blemish is his son and if Lou isn't mixed up in that mess hiring Dawkins would be a slam dunk. After all, Perry Watson because of Ed Martin, had some baggage but that hire turned out pretty darn good.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby udballer » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:22 pm

TitanVoiceofReason wrote:I agree about Ziegler being uninspiring. Alex, I'll take Lou Dawkins for $1,000........

Actually his only blemish is his son and if Lou isn't mixed up in that mess hiring Dawkins would be a slam dunk. After all, Perry Watson because of Ed Martin, had some baggage but that hire turned out pretty darn good.

This.

I'd be perfectly fine with this.
udballer
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:44 pm

I too like Dawkins a lot. Of the candidates that have been mentioned, he is my #1 choice. He was the last time too.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:37 am

ExcitedTitan wrote:
R.B.J1 wrote:Is there is a Robert Vowels Jr. Jr.? Hire him and continue the tradition of keeping it all in the UofD or genetic family.

You're not far off if they hire Ernie Ziegler. He's been here. He's been there. And not much to show for it. He seemed like a nice enough guy in his short stint here, but certainly not someone to bring the fans back. I felt his job with us was simply a favor by Ray when Ernie was between jobs. He was a nice dresser though.

Does Robert live in a tiny bubble where he only knows people who have been or went here? I have to believe there is someone new to us out there.

When I heard BA was fired I kind of got excited about Titan basketball again. The prospect of fresh air, new ideas, new energy. Ernie doesn't excite me. Someone I have never heard of would probably excite me more, or at least someone outside of the bubble.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:01 am

I think we have to take some of it with a grain of salt. Tony Paul can't name a source and things are pretty buttoned up down at 6 and Livernois. Ziegler may not even be a candidate at all.
titanmike
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:34 am

titanmike wrote:I think we have to take some of it with a grain of salt. Tony Paul can't name a source and things are pretty buttoned up down at 6 and Livernois. Ziegler may not even be a candidate at all.

Good point, Mike. For all we know they may simply be ironing out the final details of Dawkins' contract at this moment. Negotiating back and forth on that additional $20K that Dawkins claims to need in order to dress as well as his predecessor. ;)
udballer
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:32 am

Coaching Changes reporting:

"Andre LeFluer from UNLV on campus at Detroit today, please help us understand this one, NO Detroit or Midwest tie #RunningFromMarv"
ptctitan
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball