Who would be your next coach

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Who would be your next coach

Postby ptctitan » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:55 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:Tony Paul of the Detroit News tweets:

“I am hearing -- seriously -- that Detroit Mercy has reached out to Rick Pitino. This coaching search is all over the map, and nobody knows where it's going.”

Hey Tony! What happened to Andre? And what about Pitino's lack of local contacts? :D :P :mrgreen:

At lest we have a rumor to talk about ...
ptctitan
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:02 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:
Tacitus651 wrote:I don't see what the hold up could be. I'm guessing we end up with Zeigler, Hunter, or someone very similar. What holds that up? Salary? Perhaps, but not for this long. If Vowels is waiting for approval from anyone above him (Garibaldi, trustees), then they royally screwed this program given we missed a signing period. Maybe coaches simply don't want to coach at UDM? Maybe Garibaldi did tell Vowels to keep the salary to around 300K and it limits us? I'm just very disappointed and confused. I know I'm not alone in that.

Perhaps they had a tentative pick but something negative surfaced in the background/reference check phase torpedoing the selection (or maybe the the #1 candidate withdrew his name at the very last minute). From my HR experience I know that a reboot like that often happens in the process of filling a position. The problem here of course is that time is of the essence, and even adding just a week or two to the timeline can really put the eventual selectee behind the 8-ball in retaining/recruiting players.

Robert Vowels should've had at least 3-5 candidates in mind. He probably had a good ideal that he might have to dismiss Alexander in December, that would've been a good time to start compiling a list.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:25 pm

Is this Pitino stuff 4 realz?!
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:07 am

“I am hearing -- seriously -- that Detroit Mercy has reached out to Rick Pitino. This coaching search is all over the map, and nobody knows where it's going.”

FWIW, a post on the udtitanbasketball message board first reported UDM-Pitino contacts on April 16. Subsequent posts say Rick was on campus this past Saturday, and suggests a press conference will take place tomorrow.

Rogo, I'd be careful to not overstate what was said on the other board. A new, anonymous poster has started to make poems implying Pitino could come to Detroit, and then further implied he'd be on campus on Saturday. It's difficult to put any stock in it as there's to date no evidence to back any of that up -- except for now this Tony Paul tweet that we've reached out. As far as I've seen he was NOT on campus over the weekend and you'd think someone would've reported or seen him if he had.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:19 am

TitanTarHeel wrote:

FWIW, a post on the udtitanbasketball message board first reported UDM-Pitino contacts on April 16. Subsequent posts say Rick was on campus this past Saturday, and suggests a press conference will take place tomorrow.

Rogo, I'd be careful to not overstate what was said on the other board. A new, anonymous poster has started to make poems implying Pitino could come to Detroit, and then further implied he'd be on campus on Saturday. It's difficult to put any stock in it as there's to date no evidence to back any of that up -- except for now this Tony Paul tweet that we've reached out. As far as I've seen he was NOT on campus over the weekend and you'd think someone would've reported or seen him if he had.

Don't think I overstated anything, started the post with "FWIW" (short for "for what it's worth," implying that I am not certain if the information is accurate, useful or important). I simply mentioned what was posted on the other board for folks who might not visit there for information.
Last edited by Rogobob77 on Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby titanmike » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:25 am

R.B.J1 wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:
Tacitus651 wrote:I don't see what the hold up could be. I'm guessing we end up with Zeigler, Hunter, or someone very similar. What holds that up? Salary? Perhaps, but not for this long. If Vowels is waiting for approval from anyone above him (Garibaldi, trustees), then they royally screwed this program given we missed a signing period. Maybe coaches simply don't want to coach at UDM? Maybe Garibaldi did tell Vowels to keep the salary to around 300K and it limits us? I'm just very disappointed and confused. I know I'm not alone in that.

Perhaps they had a tentative pick but something negative surfaced in the background/reference check phase torpedoing the selection (or maybe the the #1 candidate withdrew his name at the very last minute). From my HR experience I know that a reboot like that often happens in the process of filling a position. The problem here of course is that time is of the essence, and even adding just a week or two to the timeline can really put the eventual selectee behind the 8-ball in retaining/recruiting players.

Robert Vowels should've had at least 3-5 candidates in mind. He probably had a good ideal that he might have to dismiss Alexander in December, that would've been a good time to start compiling a list.

Except that's not how it happened,
titanmike
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:41 am

I am wondering how our posters are anguished that Vowels is not communicating with us after we have had a call on here for his head. I would think at this point we will not find anything out until after the fact.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:22 pm

Titans96 wrote:I have no idea what is going on at UDM and why Vowels continues to be so incompetent and can’t figure out who to hire. The board and Garabaldi need to step in now. They can’t continue to let Vowels destroy UDM Athletic Programs.

I stated before, and will state again who the board (because Vowels is incompetent) should be looking at for the basketball job.

“Mann and Stevens would both be strong choices as our next head coach. They both know how to recruit and have been successful wherever they went and learned from some of the best coaches in the country. They will cost UDM similar amounts that BA was getting.”

“I hope Donnelly at UofD High is also under consideration. He has completely turned the UofD program into a powerhouse and knows how to get really good players into his program and kept the academic standards high. He would also turn around the mess at UDM and would do so at a much more favorable comp level.”

“I have no doubt that any of these three will fix the problems and get this program turned around. They will all recruit like crazy and know how to run a strong defensive focused team. They will get really strong assistant coaches and find players who the University and Alumni will be proud to call Titans.”

This current state of irresponsible incompetence must end now and we should hire one of these three this week. Plus get rid of Vowels and JJSr asap. They are major problems for UDM.

I’ll just refer to my post from the past. It still holds true.
Titans96
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:09 am

upbasketballfan wrote:I am wondering how our posters are anguished that Vowels is not communicating with us after we have had a call on here for his head. I would think at this point we will not find anything out until after the fact.

The anguish and frustration isn't merely an issue with posters on the board UP.I don't think anyone expects him to come on a messageboard and communicate here.
titanmike
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:39 am

Today is the 30th day since Vowels announced that he fired Bacari. It would be a good day for Vowels to update in a press release the status of the search in general terms - especially since the information vacuum permitted a prank to become fake news. In fact, he should do so because I am starting to lose interest in the program and the school. If I am starting to back away, I am certain that others are thinking along the same lines. We need to hear why it is taking so long and that the university remains committed to fielding a competitive D-1 team.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:43 am

ptctitan wrote:Today is the 30th day since Vowels announced that he fired Bacari. It would be a good day for Vowels to update the status of the search in general terms - especially since the information vacuum permitted a prank to become fake news. In fact, he should do so because I am starting to lose interest in the program and the school.

Here is a tweet from Vowels: “Folks, Pitino will be our new coach, however, this will not be officially announced until he completes his first recruiting trip to Iceland”
The-Dude
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:46 am

Sorry, Dude, this has reached the point (for me) where the Pitino thing/joke is unhelpful.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:55 am

ptctitan wrote:Sorry, Dude, this has reached the point (for me) where the Pitino thing/joke is unhelpful.

OK PTC, I agree and I apologize.

You guys lost all your steam after BA was fired, when instead, we should have all insisted that Vowells be let go, since that’s the root of our problems. FIRE VOWELLS.
The-Dude
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:56 am

Dude, no apology needed. I'm just posting my personal reaction. Others may not react to your post like me - and that's fine.

The problem appears to be that Vowels is strong in administration, but weak in PR. One solution is for Vowels to hire a strong PR person as a key aide together with a strong people person to mingle on his behalf. They can be the same person.

Yesterday's tweet from the University's general account did not need to add the second sentence about reviewing candidates in the near future. Now, there is some damage control needed because it appears that Vowels has been picking his nose for the past 4 weeks while he shuffles through a stack of applications. I really don't think that is what is happening. At least, I hope not.

I do not expect to know who is on the list of applicants. I do need to be reassured that the university is committed to a strong D-1 athletic program including men's BB. And I do need to know the general reasons why it is taking so long to announce a new head coach for men's BB. Clearly, Vowels is tone-deaf to the PR side of running the athletic department. You can't be so paranoid about leaks that you cut off the fan base and the media entirely from even basic general cliches about the HC search.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:34 pm

I would like to get 40-50 fans together and sit in one area wearing fire Garibaldi and Vowels caps in titan red and white. They could be make U of D Great Again caps.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:11 pm

abcdef
Last edited by Titan Jim on Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:11 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:I would like to get 40-50 fans together and sit in one area wearing fire Garibaldi and Vowels caps in titan red and white. They could be make U of D Great Again caps.

This brings up an interesting point. The other day, I was looking at The Visiting Team Guide (the old media guide) on detroittitans.com. The guide mentions that the school colors are red (Pantone 1945) and blue (Pantone 288). I know that at some time after the merger, they added blue as a third color to the mix, but I don’t know if that was ever made official. When did our school colors change to red and blue?
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:33 pm

Titan Jim wrote:abcdef

Jim what did you edit one time the g?
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:45 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:
Titan Jim wrote:abcdef

Jim what did you edit one time the g?

Maybe.
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:47 pm

Siena moves quickly (13 day process, start to finish) and picks Mt. St. Mary’s Jamion Christian for their head coach position. Wonder if MSM will backfill their vacancy before the Titans decide on their new skipper. Pitino and Beilein still available on the draft board for UDM.
Rogobob77
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball