Who would be your next coach

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Who would be your next coach

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:34 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:Siena moves quickly (13 day process, start to finish) and picks Mt. St. Mary’s Jamion Christian for their head coach position. Wonder if MSM will backfill their vacancy before the Titans decide on their new skipper. Pitino and Beilein still available on the draft board for UDM.

Siena now denying the report.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 2971
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Who would be your next coach

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:11 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:Siena moves quickly (13 day process, start to finish) and picks Mt. St. Mary’s Jamion Christian for their head coach position. Wonder if MSM will backfill their vacancy before the Titans decide on their new skipper. Pitino and Beilein still available on the draft board for UDM.

Siena now denying the report.


I was skeptical when Tony Paul tweeted it.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2209
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Who would be your next coach

Postby Rogobob77 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:58 pm

I don’t put much stock in reports from the “Coaching Changes” Twitter site, but FWIW this is a recent tweet from that source:

“Week 6 search @ Detroit Mercy....still hearing Andre Lefluer, Ernie Ziegler, Tony Barbee, Andy Bronkema, Stan Heath Lindsey Hunter. Looks like Jackson no longer being considered. At this point I am sure those players up there will take anybody..... even Stan Van Gundy”

Hadn’t heard Stan Heath’s name mentioned before.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 2971
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Who would be your next coach

Postby The-Dude » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:46 am

I played against Stan @ DCC. Schooled him both times we played them. He’s a winner, except when I schooled him.
The-Dude
Senior
 
Posts: 447
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:27 am

Re: Who would be your next coach

Postby ptctitan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:04 am

Rogobob77 wrote:I don’t put much stock in reports from the “Coaching Changes” Twitter site, but FWIW this is a recent tweet from that source:

“Week 6 search @ Detroit Mercy....still hearing Andre Lefluer, Ernie Ziegler, Tony Barbee, Andy Bronkema, Stan Heath Lindsey Hunter. Looks like Jackson no longer being considered. At this point I am sure those players up there will take anybody..... even Stan Van Gundy”

Hadn’t heard Stan Heath’s name mentioned before.


Warning to Twitter handles, be careful about posting stuff from both Titans message boards without attribution.

Heath was trying to get into the mix two years ago.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/2016/04/18/michigans-stan-heath-would-love-coach-detroit/83190290/

Ray's teams beat Heath's USF Bulls home and home a few years ago.

Heath would be a somewhat different coaching track. He did well at Kent State 16 years ago. Then he flopped at Arkansas. Then, he flopped even worse at USF.

Is the SEC the graveyard of successful mid-major coaches? Barbee and Heath. Plus Felton. And Zeigler now works at Mississippi State.
ptctitan
Senior
 
Posts: 1400
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 am

Re: Who would be your next coach

Postby titandave » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:52 pm

If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on Andre Lefluer. :)
titandave
Senior
 
Posts: 730
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:19 pm

Re: Who would be your next coach

Postby titanmike » Tue May 01, 2018 8:04 am

ptctitan wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:I don’t put much stock in reports from the “Coaching Changes” Twitter site, but FWIW this is a recent tweet from that source:

“Week 6 search @ Detroit Mercy....still hearing Andre Lefluer, Ernie Ziegler, Tony Barbee, Andy Bronkema, Stan Heath Lindsey Hunter. Looks like Jackson no longer being considered. At this point I am sure those players up there will take anybody..... even Stan Van Gundy”

Hadn’t heard Stan Heath’s name mentioned before.


Warning to Twitter handles, be careful about posting stuff from both Titans message boards without attribution.

Heath was trying to get into the mix two years ago.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/2016/04/18/michigans-stan-heath-would-love-coach-detroit/83190290/

Ray's teams beat Heath's USF Bulls home and home a few years ago.

Heath would be a somewhat different coaching track. He did well at Kent State 16 years ago. Then he flopped at Arkansas. Then, he flopped even worse at USF.

Is the SEC the graveyard of successful mid-major coaches? Barbee and Heath. Plus Felton. And Zeigler now works at Mississippi State.


I disagree about Heath being a flop at Arkansas , but if you consider the expectations of an SEC school, I get it. He did however have two consecutive NCAA Tourney visits in his last two years at Arkansas.
titanmike
Senior
 
Posts: 1860
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: Who would be your next coach

Postby ptctitan » Tue May 01, 2018 8:50 am

Coaching Changes tweets that Stan Gouard of Univ of Indianapolis is calling others telling them he is close to getting our job.

Here is the tweet.

"Straight out of left field, Stan Gouard Uni of Indianapolis is calling guys from Michigan saying he thinks he’s close to getting the UDM job, no one in Michigan let alone Detroit knows this guy, he may be a good guy #vowels has lost it !"

Here is Gouard's bio.

https://athletics.uindy.edu/coaches.aspx?rc=1107
ptctitan
Senior
 
Posts: 1400
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 am

Re: Who would be your next coach

Postby ExcitedTitan » Tue May 01, 2018 9:07 am

I would imagine Vowels knows him since they worked in the same city. If he did, did that influence Vowel's decision? Did others pass on the job? We will likely never know.

His record is decent but still DII. Maybe he is a great coach who's players over achieved.

But he's not Ernie Zeigler or JJ, so that's a positive.
ExcitedTitan
Senior
 
Posts: 1215
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 7:40 am

Re: Who would be your next coach

Postby ptctitan » Tue May 01, 2018 9:25 am

If you read his bio closely, his 2010-11 team defeated No.23 Tennessee. And his team defeated NKU in a different year.

So, if you are interested in accepting Bronkema for the job, this guy is older and also has a very good D-2 track record.
ptctitan
Senior
 
Posts: 1400
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 am

Re: Who would be your next coach

Postby udballer » Tue May 01, 2018 9:41 am

I'll be fine with this hire... if it happens today. If he is the guy, there is no reason to wait any longer. I like his resume more than half of the other people that have been mentioned for the position. I'd still prefer Thomas or Dawkins, but my God we need to make a hire soon. So long as that hire isn't Ziegler or JJ, I'm on board.
udballer
Senior
 
Posts: 1421
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Who would be your next coach

Postby titanmike » Tue May 01, 2018 9:59 am

ptctitan wrote:If you read his bio closely, his 2010-11 team defeated No.23 Tennessee. And his team defeated NKU in a different year.

So, if you are interested in accepting Bronkema for the job, this guy is older and also has a very good D-2 track record.


No confirmation of this candidate yet, but I will say I wouldn't hate it, only concern would be lack of Michigan ties.
titanmike
Senior
 
Posts: 1860
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: Who would be your next coach

Postby ptctitan » Tue May 01, 2018 10:19 am

Last December, his D-2 Indy team lost by 4 at Indiana State, who then beat Green Bay by double digits a few days later.

HSScout found this quote about that game.

"While giving full respect to Stan Gouard and his time, how does ISU put itself in a position to get pushed around on its home floor? How did the Sycamores get out-played, in many respects, out-schemed, and in some cases, get pushed around by a Division II team?"

Reminds me of our reactions to losing to Wayne State two years in a row.

At first glance, I would be fine with this person. Apparently, Gouard has confirmed to some others he knows in Michigan that he thinks he has a good chance to get the job. I thoroughly respect Titanmike's ability to get blood (confirmation) out of the proverbial stone cold silent Titans' coaching search committee. ;)

And let's see when Tony Paul tweets that he is "hearing" that Stan Gouard is "in the mix" at Detroit Mercy. ;)
ptctitan
Senior
 
Posts: 1400
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 am

Re: Who would be your next coach

Postby upbasketballfan » Tue May 01, 2018 10:39 am

Like I stated before , at this point in time I wouldn't care if Vowels, the IOU guy, got Coach K. He is costing this University a lot more than his salary and his IOU is unacceptable. I do want the hire to do well as we can not afford another mistake by the University,. We pay Garibaldi and Vowels to run the University and make decisions and they are really lacking in the latter. I am just trying to figure out which bag to wear over my head at the games. From what I recall the last Vowels delay in the hiring process was blamed on Bacari holding out and if he was a hold out then maybe we should have made BA the AD. He proved to be a lot better negotiator than Vowels.
upbasketballfan
Senior
 
Posts: 1609
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Re: Who would be your next coach

Postby titandave » Tue May 01, 2018 12:39 pm

ptctitan wrote:So, if you are interested in accepting Bronkema for the job, this guy is older and also has a very good D-2 track record.

Understand and agree with your point on Bronkema and I like the fact that Stan Gouard has been a successful head coach for an extended period of time.
titandave
Senior
 
Posts: 730
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:19 pm

Re: Who would be your next coach

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Tue May 01, 2018 1:04 pm

I like Gouard's resume. For us to get someone with prior HC experience, a successful D-2 coach seems like a good bet. The University of Indianapolis is a private university affiliated with the United Methodist Church. So there are some similarities to UD. As far as his lack of Michigan ties, he can hire assistants with Michigan connections like Vitale did. In the meantime we can rely on his Indiana ties. Overall, I like this candidate.

Dave, you make a good point that he has been successful for an extended period of time.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:15 am

Re: Who would be your next coach

Postby Titan Jim » Tue May 01, 2018 3:48 pm

TitanVoiceofReason wrote:Dave, you make a good point that he has been successful for an extended period of time.


So, then why has he not progressed?

To be honest, I really do not have a strong opinion about this candidate. It just seems that, on paper, Andy Bronkema has progressed faster and further. At this point, he appears to know the Michigan recruiting map better. That is not to say that he is necessarily a better candidate. I have initial concerns with Bronkema, as well. I just don't want to settle for a coach, because we don't currently have one.
Titan Jim
Senior
 
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:27 pm

Re: Who would be your next coach

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Tue May 01, 2018 4:48 pm

Titan Jim, those are good questions. I do like (1) he has had success at the D-2 level (2) coaching at a private school (3) had some statement wins over larger schools (4) appears to be a good game coach (5) last losing season was 8 seasons ago. As far as his weaknesses, he doesn't have any Detroit connections. Whatever his other weaknesses may be, I don't have a clue. I have no idea why he hasn't progressed but that is something Vowels and the search committee will have to find out. I'm not going to get real interested or excited until we announce our new coach. I do like this guy better than Ziegler and some of the others.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:15 am

Re: Who would be your next coach

Postby TitanONeill » Tue May 01, 2018 8:33 pm

Sorry. Not impressed one bit with Stan Gouard. We need an accomplished guy, someone who has won with a "top tier program" or has local ties. "Hi my name is Coach Gouard, i was a "successful" d2 coach at a school you never heard of, you want to play for U of D?" If he's the guy... definitely should have kept Bacari. Bronkema won a championship at D2, local kids would know his former school.
TitanONeill
Senior
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:12 am

Re: Who would be your next coach

Postby R.B.J1 » Tue May 01, 2018 8:45 pm

ExcitedTitan wrote:I would imagine Vowels knows him since they worked in the same city. If he did, did that influence Vowel's decision? Did others pass on the job? We will likely never know.

His record is decent but still DII. Maybe he is a great coach who's players over achieved.

But he's not Ernie Zeigler or JJ, so that's a positive.


I am aware that people often hire those that they know well due to comfort level. I hope this isn't another example of cronyism taking place on livernois.
R.B.J1
Senior
 
Posts: 1985
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:02 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests