Who would be your next coach

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Who would be your next coach

Postby titandave » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:43 pm

Cornell Mann (Assistant Coach, Missouri) that's been mentioned in the press as a possible candidate; here's the commentary:

At some point, Mann deserves to get a head-coaching job. It's pretty surprising it hasn't happened already. He's going on two decades as an assistant coach at the Division I level, his career taking him from Central Michigan, to Western Michigan, to Dayton, to Iowa State, to Oakland, and now to Missouri. He's a Royal Oak Township native and former Ferndale High prep star who knows the Detroit recruiting terrain well. For instance, at Iowa State, he got Flint's Monte Morris to go there, and he's now in the NBA on a two-way contract with the Denver Nuggets. At five of Cornell's six coaching stops, he's helped his team get into the NCAA Tournament.
titandave
Senior

Postby candf1980 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:56 pm

The name Saddi Washington has come up. He's in the news.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/colle ... 483485002/
candf1980
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:05 am

While it's always good to learn that the driver in a one-car accident is OK, I don't think that Washington was ever more than a Tony Paul emanation amidst the penumbra of his brain waves that connect him to Oakland and Kampe. We are batting 1 for 3 with former U-M assistants. While that may win a batting title in MLB, a winning percentage of .333 is not good for head coaches.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:32 am

ptctitan wrote:While it's always good to learn that the driver in a one-car accident is OK, I don't think that Washington was ever more than a Tony Paul emanation amidst the penumbra of his brain waves that connect him to Oakland and Kampe. We are batting 1 for 3 with former U-M assistants. While that may win a batting title in MLB, a winning percentage of .333 is not good for head coaches.

+1
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby TitanONeill » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:40 am

Agreed. I say either keep JJ or get an outsider that will hustle and Excel in both the marketing and recruiting aspects. Some PSL and local coaches for assistants as well.
TitanONeill
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:15 pm

JJ will not be Head Coach
titanmike
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:39 pm

titanmike wrote:JJ will not be Head Coach

The next coach better recruit coming out of the gate. Safe to assume JJJ leaves. Does Ballantyne leave? I assume so. What are his options considering his performance last season? Hightower could reopen his recruitment any second. Chatman probably gone?

Not saying these were reasons to pick JJ. But we need to land a few JUCOs who can walk and chew gum at the same time just to fill the roster.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby TitanONeill » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:57 pm

Do you think he stays as assistant? This would not bode well if he leaves.You'd lose his son, ballantye, and other potential recruits with ties to JJ. I know Dakota Currently has a kid on their team that is sought after.
TitanONeill
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:03 pm

Nothing on this Subject makes me feel okay. My guts are turning as we lolly gag around playing games with this troubled program as any decent players who are left disappear. How about a season where we struggle to win 2. How loyal will you be then I have a feeling Mike will be down there alone standing in the Titan Club room trying to remember the happy sounds of a few years ago. Look at it this way Mike, they will definitely have your brand in the fridge but you will have to walk over and get it out yourself. The food will be a bag of chips with a paper clip sealing it.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:04 pm

titandave wrote:I understand Joe Dooley (head coach at Florida Gulf Cost University) is looking for a new opportunity. He has an excellent resume and is in the prime of his career. The UDM coaching job certainly offers a challenge and the salary would be approximately 2X what's he's paid at FGCU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Dooley_(basketball)

East Carolina will hire Florida Gulf Coast's Joe Dooley as its next head basketball coach, per multiple sources. Deal got finalized this morning.
HSScout1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:08 pm

TitanONeill wrote:Do you think he stays as assistant? This would not bode well if he leaves.You'd lose his son, ballantye, and other potential recruits with ties to JJ. I know Dakota Currently has a kid on their team that is sought after.

Plenty of arguments to be made that things will not "bode well" if he stays. I'm not strictly anti-JJ. I like him. I'd rather have him be HC than assistant. JJJ is a good player. Not Ray McCallum good though, and the new HC shouldn't have to deal with finessing the dynamics of having JJ on the bench and JJJ going rogue.

Keep JJ to recruit in the area? I understand what you're getting at but we are one of two D1 schools in the area. We can recruit locally regardless of the coaching staff so long as they put in time and effort.

I hope we get an entire new staff. I feel bad for JJJ and Ballantyne but, as said, they knew the risk when they signed.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:13 pm

TitanONeill wrote:Do you think he stays as assistant? This would not bode well if he leaves.You'd lose his son, ballantye, and other potential recruits with ties to JJ. I know Dakota Currently has a kid on their team that is sought after.

We are jumping off of cliffs this year so line up behind 96 and 1987 and the rest of the knowledgeable numbers guys. Like I said before I was dead set agaist BA but once he got the job he and JJ didn't have enough time to recruit their first class. Last year they might have gotten a few promises that fell through and this year was going to be the year to turn the corner. Now we might as well hire Rick Pitino, pay him 2 million and either go for it or fold up. We absolutely can not afford or are capable of handling even a mediocre year. We need a 18-20 win season.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:17 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:

Plenty of arguments to be made that things will not "bode well" if he stays. I'm not strictly anti-JJ. I like him. I'd rather have him be HC than assistant. JJJ is a good player. Not Ray McCallum good though, and the new HC shouldn't have to deal with finessing the dynamics of having JJ on the bench and JJJ going rogue.

Keep JJ to recruit in the area? I understand what you're getting at but we are one of two D1 schools in the area. We can recruit locally regardless of the coaching staff so long as they put in time and effort.

I hope we get an entire new staff. I feel bad for JJJ and Ballantyne but, as said, they knew the risk when they signed.

What planet are you inhabiting. I'm thinking you hit a mistype when you were registering on this board. The 651 is either supposed to represent 1951 or you thought Mike needed your fico score. If AB is offered the job, I am guessing he is in his AD's office trying to get a raise to 1/2 of what we offer just to stay in Big Rapids.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:36 pm

The 651 is an homage to the address of the law school just to end the speculation on that. I've no idea who 96 or 1987 are, and I've distanced myself from them by pointing out that their narrative of Vowels forcing BA to keep JJ on staff is ridiculous because if Vowels thought so highly of JJ he could have hired him as HC two years ago and few people would have questioned that decision.

I simply made a post stating that having JJ on the bench creates a delicate situation that probably isn't worth the trouble. You must have the crappy FICO score since you waste gasoline driving from UP North to Calihan to sit in a nearly empty stadium. You criticize me for not driving 208 miles but you know nothing about me. I'll have you know that I have a FICO score over 750 and maxed out my 403(b) and IRA per what the IRS allows me the past 4 years, and I won't be insulted by some Yooper.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:17 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:The 651 is an homage to the address of the law school just to end the speculation on that. I've no idea who 96 or 1987 are, and I've distanced myself from them by pointing out that their narrative of Vowels forcing BA to keep JJ on staff is ridiculous because if Vowels thought so highly of JJ he could have hired him as HC two years ago and few people would have questioned that decision.

I simply made a post stating that having JJ on the bench creates a delicate situation that probably isn't worth the trouble. You must have the crappy FICO score since you waste gasoline driving from UP North to Calihan to sit in a nearly empty stadium. You criticize me for not driving 208 miles but you know nothing about me. I'll have you know that I have a FICO score over 750 and maxed out my 403(b) and IRA per what the IRS allows me the past 4 years, and I won't be insulted by some Yooper.

You have been insulted by a Yooper and 750 is nothing to brag about. You probably shouldn't waste money on a 208 mile trek to Calihan but should pay your bills a little more prudently and your score will go up.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby TitanONeill » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:24 pm

Wow. What has this board come to? We are "d" measuring via FICO scores? C'mon guys. One team. One fight.
TitanONeill
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:24 pm

UP, you should shovel your driveway today to let off some steam. I'm not even sure what my FICO is these days exactly, but I'm on track to own my house outright by 40 and be totally financially independent by 45. Personal finance is not an area you want to debate me, trust me.

I'm sure you have cabin fever up there. Don't worry, summer is coming for you in a few months and you can get back to your job: https://youtu.be/xeiLh_x8maM
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:41 pm

[quote="Tacitus651"]UP, you should shovel your driveway today to let off some steam. I'm not even sure what my FICO is these days exactly, but I'm on track to own my house outright by 40 and be totally financially independent by 45. Personal finance is not an area you want to debate me, trust me.

You obviously do not know what they say about people who say "trust me." As far as my drive I do not shovel. That's reserved more for those who need to use their hands like those living in the Lotion City.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:44 pm

Cool, good luck in the copper mines this summer. Hope you guys get a good haul.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:05 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Cool, good luck in the copper mines this summer. Hope you guys get a good haul.

We will! I am not sure if you feel calling someone a Yooper is derogatory but I have learned through the years that being a Yooper is a honor. I lived for a majority of my life in the Rat Race but I remembered my roots and escaped back to Gods Country before I became conditioned and lost sight of who I really am. It takes everyone different periods of time to figure out who they really are and hopefully when they find that out, they are not dissatisfied with how they spent their lives and find themselves feeling really good about who they are.
upbasketballfan
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball