Who would be your next coach

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Who would be your next coach

Postby uofdfan1983 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:29 am

Heard this morning that Ferris' star center Zach Hankins who was Div II Player of the Year is transferring to Xavier for his senior season. That means Bronkema isn't a candidate for our job (I'm sure Hankins would have waited to see if he was hired here before committing to Xavier). That means most people's #1 and #2 choices are both out of the running.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby ExcitedTitan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:34 am

Corenell Mann looks interesting. I'd take him over JJ and Ernie Zeigler any day and the DII guy most days.

I would talk to former Titan Mike Jackson. He has had some ups and downs and not saying he is near the top of my list, but maybe worth a look, along with dozens of other people.

http://www.purduesports.com/sports/m-ba ... ike00.html
ExcitedTitan
Senior

Postby ExcitedTitan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:45 am

uofdfan1983 wrote:Heard this morning that Ferris' star center Zach Hankins who was Div II Player of the Year is transferring to Xavier for his senior season. That means Bronkema isn't a candidate for our job (I'm sure Hankins would have waited to see if he was hired here before committing to Xavier). That means most people's #1 and #2 choices are both out of the running.

Xavier (Big East, NCAAs, national TV) or UDMercy (HL, watching NCAAs on TV in dorm room, WADL) with my current coach? Not a tough choice at all.
ExcitedTitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:56 am

The tweet from the coaching changes Twitter account is really a reaction to the rumor that Vowels was looking to go the Alabama & Arkansas-LR route and hire and ex-NBA player/coach. The author of that tweet believes that we need to hire a coach who knows the roster and the lay of the land in our area or the program could self-destruct. He suggested Ziegler, Mann and Murphy from Creighton.

Given our low RPI of 318, we are no longer in a position to dictate who is interested in our HC job any more. Of the 8 D-1 HC openings now, we have the 5th lowest RPI. We are lower than UNC-Asheville, La Salle, St. Peter's and FIU. Just above Chicago State, MD-Eastern Shore, and Delaware St.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:06 am

Coaching Changes now reporting that Dwayne Stephens is now involved with Detroit.

"We are now hearing Michigan State asisstant DJ Stephens is now involved with Detroit....."
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:16 am

ptctitan wrote:The tweet from the coaching changes Twitter account is really a reaction to the rumor that Vowels was looking to go the Alabama & Arkansas-LR route and hire and ex-NBA player/coach. The author of that tweet believes that we need to hire a coach who knows the roster and the lay of the land in our area or the program could self-destruct. He suggested Ziegler, Mann and Murphy from Creighton.

Given our low RPI of 318, we are no longer in a position to dictate who is interested in our HC job any more. Of the 8 D-1 HC openings now, we have the 5th lowest RPI. We are lower than UNC-Asheville, La Salle, St. Peter's and FIU. Just above Chicago State, MD-Eastern Shore, and Delaware St.

Current RPI has little to do with how attractive a coaching job is. There is almost no way that UNC Asheville or St. Peter's, for example, are more attractive jobs. They have fewer resources, pay less, less tradition... . Of course, many coaches may prefer them--they want to be on the East Coast, for example, so they'd prefer St. Peter's. You can never "dictate" who is interested in your job, but the Titan job is still a better job than probably 150 or so D-I positions.

I think we need someone who has proven he can run a D-I program successfully. I suggest a few such here http://udtitanbasketball.freeforums.net ... 848/thread. Who knows if any would be interested, but discounting the coach's personal goals and current job satisfaction, the Titan job is objectively better than any their current positions.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:19 am

ptctitan wrote:Coaching Changes now reporting that Dwayne Stephens is now involved with Detroit.

"We are now hearing Michigan State asisstant DJ Stephens is now involved with Detroit....."

Heard someone close to the program say he was the runner-up a couple years ago when BA was hired, so wouldn’t surprise me if he is currently in the mix to be the next Titan coach.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:40 am

Commissioner wrote:Current RPI has little to do with how attractive a coaching job is. There is almost no way that UNC Asheville or St. Peter's, for example, are more attractive jobs. They have fewer resources, pay less, less tradition... . Of course, many coaches may prefer them--they want to be on the East Coast, for example, so they'd prefer St. Peter's. You can never "dictate" who is interested in your job, but the Titan job is still a better job than probably 150 or so D-I positions.

I think we need someone who has proven he can run a D-I program successfully. I suggest a few such here http://udtitanbasketball.freeforums.net ... 848/thread. Who knows if any would be interested, but discounting the coach's personal goals and current job satisfaction, the Titan job is objectively better than any their current positions.

If I were an ambitious coach looking to make a name for myself I'd prefer a school with a low RPI -- improve and you get all the credit.

St. Peter's is smaller the UDM and has a smaller endowment. On the other hand, it's in the shadow of Manhattan, so if you're East Coast-oriented and like the Big Apple, it's not a bad choice. Asheville -- beautiful setting in the Smokies, so if you're an outdoorsy guy with a family, a good setting.

It all comes down to personal preference, ambitions, work/life balance.

Personally, I think that UDM is probably viewed as a stepping-stone program, where a coach can make a name for himself and move up. I don't foresee the likes of a Bob Calihan or Perry Watson, someone who wants to coach at UDM until he retires, in our future. If Ray had been more successful, I suspect he'd have applied elsewhere.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:12 am

Rogobob77 wrote:
ptctitan wrote:Coaching Changes now reporting that Dwayne Stephens is now involved with Detroit.

Heard someone close to the program say he was the runner-up a couple years ago when BA was hired, so wouldn’t surprise me if he is currently in the mix to be the next Titan coach.

Out of the frying pan and into the fire. Stephens has been Izzo's assistant for 14 years. I have never questioned Izzo's ability to recruit but often his ability to coach. Stephens should be in a hurry to get out of Lansing. With the Nasser thing going on and Stephens being the center of the pending FBI recruiting scandal, Lansing could be getting pretty warm. I expect to see Izzo up here in Iron Mountain quite a bit this year as this is a pretty good place to fade into. It was always Hoffa's favorite place to go when the gov. was looking for him. Kind of makes a little sense when you think of the MSU players going PRO. Sanctions could be on the horizon for State. Like I said in an earlier post if we are going to reach into the toilet then we might as well grab the biggest thing we can get our hands and that would be Patino.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:44 am

Wow, UP is losing his mind with those ramblings about MSU basketball sanctions. It must be his continued time up north which is driving him crazy.

Mann and Stevens would both be strong choices as our next head coach. They both know how to recruit and have been successful wherever they went and learned from some of the best coaches in the country. They will cost UDM similar amounts that BA was getting.

I hope Donnelly at UofD High is also under consideration. He has completely turned the UofD program into a powerhouse and knows how to get really good players into his program and kept the academic standards high. He would also turn around the mess at UDM and would do so at a much more favorable comp level.

I have no doubt that any of these three will fix the problems and get this program turned around. They will all recruit like crazy and know how to run a strong defensive focused team. They will get really strong assistant coaches and find players who the University and Alumni will be proud to call Titans.
Titans96
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:49 am

Cornell Mann’s job record make me nervous.
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:55 am

Titan Jim wrote:Cornell Mann’s job record make me nervous.

+1, he reminds me of unpolished Bacari Alexander.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:59 am

I have questioned the decision making ability of the decision makers at this University before. We took way too long to select BA and that put our recruiting back 1-2 years and when we used the broom on him he finally was getting a decent recruiting class. Now we are putting the next guy in the same position to fail. Vowels should assign the job to the Commish and get out of the way. I know he won't and it probably will be his down fall. I just hope when his ship goes down he doesn't take the program with him. I would be a fan if he took some of the University's decision makers to the depths.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby titandave » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:47 am

Titans96 wrote:Mann and Stevens would both be strong choices as our next head coach. They both know how to recruit and have been successful wherever they went and learned from some of the best coaches in the country. They will cost UDM similar amounts that BA was getting.

I'm thinking along the same lines.
titandave
Senior

Postby Southpawl » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:55 pm

I often read, seldom post. I think most posters have moved beyond this BUT- I cannot believe that Robert Vowels is still here and being allowed to make this hire! The mens basketball program, however bad it may be presently, is our marquee program. I try very hard to remain positive, but I fear the program will either be gone or Division 2 very soon under the current leadership, or whoever tries to pick up the pieces when Vowels is finally relieved of his duties.
Southpawl
Sophmore

Postby Tacitus651 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:03 am

Southpawl wrote:I often read, seldom post. I think most posters have moved beyond this BUT- I cannot believe that Robert Vowels is still here and being allowed to make this hire! The mens basketball program, however bad it may be presently, is our marquee program. I try very hard to remain positive, but I fear the program will either be gone or Division 2 very soon under the current leadership, or whoever tries to pick up the pieces when Vowels is finally relieved of his duties.

I think Vowels needs to go. Bad hiring decision for the flagship program and if you look at his list of goals on his bio he really hasn't accomplished anything. After the season ended you figured either Vowels or BA had to be fired. I was guessing it would be Vowels, as the university probably wouldn't want to eat the remainder of BA's contract, and a new AD would endure year 3 of BA and then find a replacement. It's kind of funny if you think about. BA performed so outrageously awful in year 2 that he had to go immediately. That led leadership to allow Vowels to fire BA and buy a replacement. It would be impossible to fire them both this spring. I'm guessing Vowels gets another few years to turn it around, which will cost us. If we had gone 15-16 this season it could have been Vowels being fired.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:08 pm

upbasketballfan wrote: Like I said in an earlier post if we are going to reach into the toilet then we might as well grab the biggest thing we can get our hands and that would be Patino.

I'm not sure if I want to hire a coach when even knowledgeable fans can't spell his name. Unless it's Krzzyysycski -- uh, Coach K.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:47 am

NC Titan wrote:
upbasketballfan wrote: Like I said in an earlier post if we are going to reach into the toilet then we might as well grab the biggest thing we can get our hands and that would be Patino.

I'm not sure if I want to hire a coach when even knowledgeable fans can't spell his name. Unless it's Krzzyysycski -- uh, Coach K.

I tried spellcheck but it kept coming up SNAKE!
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:23 pm

As I acknowledged the other day. Per Tony Paul. "Jermaine Jackson Sr. no longer is considered the slam-dunk favorite to be the next head men's basketball coach at Detroit."
titanmike
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:36 pm

titanmike wrote:As I acknowledged the other day. Per Tony Paul. "Jermaine Jackson Sr. no longer is considered the slam-dunk favorite to be the next head men's basketball coach at Detroit."

I guess the rumblings in Calihan Hall took a week to reach his desk. Sub-sonic?
ptctitan
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball