End of 2017-2018 BA Poll

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Keep coach Alexander?

Time to say goodbye
65%
One more year to get it right
35%
Indifferent
No votes

Total votes : 17

End of 2017-2018 BA Poll

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:10 am

I feel for this poll to be fair, we need to assume that firing BA would cost the school roughly a million dollars. I base this on the assumption that BA has 4 years guaranteed on his contract at roughly 450-500K per year.
Tacitus651
Senior

Re: End of 2017-2018 BA Poll

Postby udballer » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:58 am

He needs to go before we end up duking it out with Northwood on a yearly basis.
udballer
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:27 am

Here is my prediction: Robert Vowels will be relieved of his duties as athletic director in July. A new AD will be hired in September, too late to fire Alexander and Scott. Alexander will finish the 2018-2019 season with a record of 10-22. He will state that he is thrilled to get to double digit wins, and state that it is a tremendous accomplishment, and that he is thrilled that he achieved it. The new AD wont fall for the jokes, suits, or charm. Alexander and Scott will be fired in March of 2019. Whether we like it or not we will have another 12 moths of Alexander and company.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby MotownTitan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:41 am

Tacitus651 wrote:I feel for this poll to be fair, we need to assume that firing BA would cost the school roughly a million dollars. I base this on the assumption that BA has 4 years guaranteed on his contract at roughly 450-500K per year.

It boggles my mind that in today's (rightful) harassment culture, we couldn't let him go for free if what he said to TJ was true. Especially since as a Catholic institution, we should have higher morals clauses.
Detroit Mercy NEVER did great things! Detroit did, while Mercy failed
MotownTitan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:13 am

I think the problem with that is, even if we tried to use that as an excuse out of the contract, BA would fight enough in court to where the legal bills and bad publicity would make it worse than paying the cash. Plus, if what he did was so bad, why did we let him return? As much as I dislike BA right now, I didn't think what he did was fireable offense. I don't think it was worth a 7 game suspension either. I would like to see him gone, but RBJ's prediction sounds like the most likely series of events to take place.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:16 am

The tv announcers said yesterday that BAs hiring was universally considered a perfect hire. Those were obviously people who only saw a former player, won an NCAA game with UodD, good personality, had energy, and had experience at a big school. Vowels must have been one of those people. They didn't talk to former players, co-workers, and administrators. If they had they would have heard he was not respected by some players and some co-workers and he was not very good with the Xs and Os as a coach. I said this all before he was hired. I also tried to support him and not criticize much. But now it's time to go. We've seen enough. We can't afford another year of BA.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:29 pm

JimmyChitwood wrote:The tv announcers said yesterday that BAs hiring was universally considered a perfect hire. Those were obviously people who only saw a former player, won an NCAA game with UodD, good personality, had energy, and had experience at a big school. Vowels must have been one of those people. They didn't talk to former players, co-workers, and administrators. If they had they would have heard he was not respected by some players and some co-workers and he was not very good with the Xs and Os as a coach. I said this all before he was hired. I also tried to support him and not criticize much. But now it's time to go. We've seen enough. We can't afford another year of BA.

+1 Chitwood. I think Alexander made two critical errors shortly after he was hired. First he did not correctly evaluate Kam Chatmans basketball ability. BA , and I am only guessing, probably thought Chatman would be a 22 and 10 guy in the horizon league. Wrong. He compounded on his talent misevaluation by hiring Canaan Chatman as an assistant. It has been stated that Canaan was instrumental in securing the one year rental Roschon Prince. What else has he done? Kam Chatman is a very average and a very selfish player. UofD is probably paying Canaan Chatman somewhere in the low 100k. When you add Kams scholarship, and Canaans salary, UofD has probably paid close to $500,000, for a mediocre player and an average coach. Not good. As far as garnering respect from the players, I think Alexander is still stuck in the mindset of an assistant coach, who is often the buffer between the players and the head coach. It seems as if Alexander is too "buddy,buddy", with the players, which led to the SMD incident. I could vent more, but I will stop here.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:49 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:
JimmyChitwood wrote:The tv announcers said yesterday that BAs hiring was universally considered a perfect hire. Those were obviously people who only saw a former player, won an NCAA game with UodD, good personality, had energy, and had experience at a big school. Vowels must have been one of those people. They didn't talk to former players, co-workers, and administrators. If they had they would have heard he was not respected by some players and some co-workers and he was not very good with the Xs and Os as a coach. I said this all before he was hired. I also tried to support him and not criticize much. But now it's time to go. We've seen enough. We can't afford another year of BA.

+1 Chitwood. I think Alexander made two critical errors shortly after he was hired. First he did not correctly evaluate Kam Chatmans basketball ability. BA , and I am only guessing, probably thought Chatman would be a 22 and 10 guy in the horizon league. Wrong. He compounded on his talent misevaluation by hiring Canaan Chatman as an assistant. It has been stated that Canaan was instrumental in securing the one year rental Roschon Prince. As far as garnering respect from the players, I think Alexander is still stuck in the mindset of an assistant coach, who is often the buffer between the players and the head coach. It seems as if Alexander is too "buddy,buddy, with the players, which led to the SMD incident.

Lot of Chatman bashing here lately. I won't claim to be a huge Chatman fan, but look, he averaged 18 points and 8 rebounds. Maybe that's not 22/10, but it's pretty darn good (3rd in the league in each). I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. If Kam Chatman was correctly viewed as an 18/8 guy in the Horizon League, you're saying we shouldn't sign him? Even if he's sometimes soft on defense? 18/8 guys don't exactly grow on trees--Chatman is only the second Titan since Joe Kopicki to put up that combination.

For years I've noticed, at all levels, that when teams perform poorly, people often blame their best players. Kam Chatman is not the reason we only won 8 games this year. At this level, he is a valuable player. Whether it was necessary to hire Canaan to get him, and whether Canaan is contributing much else (though Prince was pretty good this year), I don't know. But let's keep Kam in perspective--he's a very good player at the HL level. He actually contributed more this year than I thought--I thought we'd do well with 12 and 6 from him.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:17 pm

JimmyChitwood - are you referring to when BA was an assistant here or elsewhere?
ptctitan
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:43 pm

ptctitan wrote:JimmyChitwood - are you referring to when BA was an assistant here or elsewhere?

Here. I hoped he changed after he left but apparently not. And I don't think BA was too chummy with players. I think he didn't connect with them.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:26 pm

Cracks in the financial balance sheets that surfaced at Detroit Mercy in 2017 started to make the lenders they do business with a bit nervous. In response, the University launched an austerity plan last fall to cut operational expenses. One component of the plan was to reduce payroll expenses, thus the implementation of a significant early-retirement incentive program that was meant to encourage faculty and staff to separate no later than 12/31/18 (with the expectation that only a small portion would be replaced). The other less publicized initiative was that the President tasked the Athletic Director with formulating a plan to cut costs involving athletics. When I first heard that last August, I thought it probably meant cutting a sport offered. Who knows, it could involve consideration of possibly deemphasizing athletics at the school and moving down in division. (IMO, if that were to eventually happen, I don’t see the UDM going D-2 where there are mostly large public universities, think we’d likely go to NAIA or D-3).

My sense is that even with the apparent lack of interest in MBB (measured by anemic attendance), the University administration still understands the benefits of having a D-1 program and we will continue functioning at that level for the foreseeable future. That said, things can’t continue on the current flight path very much longer. I present this information because I think it is very relevant in framing the options relative to continuing or discontinuing BA as head basketball coach for at least another year. While paying a million dollars for the (assumed) two years remaining on BA’s contract seems like pocket change to some posters, it’s a lot of dough to this financially strapped university. All the options on the table come with big potential downsides, so it will be a tough task for the decision-makers over the coming days and weeks.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:31 pm

Commissioner wrote:
R.B.J1 wrote:

+1 Chitwood. I think Alexander made two critical errors shortly after he was hired. First he did not correctly evaluate Kam Chatmans basketball ability. BA , and I am only guessing, probably thought Chatman would be a 22 and 10 guy in the horizon league. Wrong. He compounded on his talent misevaluation by hiring Canaan Chatman as an assistant. It has been stated that Canaan was instrumental in securing the one year rental Roschon Prince. As far as garnering respect from the players, I think Alexander is still stuck in the mindset of an assistant coach, who is often the buffer between the players and the head coach. It seems as if Alexander is too "buddy,buddy, with the players, which led to the SMD incident.

Lot of Chatman bashing here lately. I won't claim to be a huge Chatman fan, but look, he averaged 18 points and 8 rebounds. Maybe that's not 22/10, but it's pretty darn good (3rd in the league in each). I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. If Kam Chatman was correctly viewed as an 18/8 guy in the Horizon League, you're saying we shouldn't sign him? Even if he's sometimes soft on defense? 18/8 guys don't exactly grow on trees--Chatman is only the second Titan since Joe Kopicki to put up that combination.

For years I've noticed, at all levels, that when teams perform poorly, people often blame their best players. Kam Chatman is not the reason we only won 8 games this year. At this level, he is a valuable player. Whether it was necessary to hire Canaan to get him, and whether Canaan is contributing much else (though Prince was pretty good this year), I don't know. But let's keep Kam in perspective--he's a very good player at the HL level. He actually contributed more this year than I thought--I thought we'd do well with 12 and 6 from him.

18 and 8 in 2018 is a lot different than 18 and 8 in 1982. In 1982 there was no three point shot in college basketball, nor was there a shot clock. Kam Chatman is a matador on the defensive end, and he is very selfish. I've watched him dribble up the court and not even think about passing the ball, I've watched him receive the ball and immediately chuck up an ill advised three pointer, he puts his head down and drives to the basket and either he turns the ball over, or he falls down and instead of running back on defense, he spends two to three seconds, making ugly faces and complaining to the refs. As I've stated before, Kam Chatman is #2 on my list of all time selfish titans. After saying all that, I am so desperate to see the titans win that I still would've signed him, if hiring his dad as an assistant coach was a pre-requisite to getting him to transfer to UDM, maybe not.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:04 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:Cracks in the financial balance sheets that surfaced at Detroit Mercy in 2017 started to make the lenders they do business with a bit nervous. In response, the University launched an austerity plan last fall to cut operational expenses. One component of the plan was to reduce payroll expenses, thus the implementation of a significant early-retirement incentive program that was meant to encourage faculty and staff to separate no later than 12/31/18 (with the expectation that only a small portion would be replaced). The other less publicized initiative was that the President tasked the Athletic Director with formulating a plan to cut costs involving athletics. When I first heard that last August, I thought it probably meant cutting a sport offered. Who knows, it could involve consideration of possibly deemphasizing athletics at the school and moving down in division. (IMO, if that were to eventually happen, I don’t see the UDM going D-2 where there are mostly large public universities, think we’d likely go to NAIA or D-3).

My sense is that even with the apparent lack of interest in MBB (measured by anemic attendance), the University administration still understands the benefits of having a D-1 program and we will continue functioning at that level for the foreseeable future. That said, things can’t continue on the current flight path very much longer. I present this information because I think it is very relevant in framing the options relative to continuing or discontinuing BA as head basketball coach for at least another year. While paying a million dollars for the (assumed) two years remaining on BA’s contract seems like pocket change to some posters, it’s a lot of dough to this financially strapped university. All the options on the table come with big potential downsides, so it will be a tough task for the decision-makers over the coming days and weeks.

Heard from someone close to the University this afternoon that Garabaldi is in full support of continued D-1 status and that the cost cuts they are trying to achieve from Athletics were less severe than I thought, perhaps $250K. They are hoping for more resources for Athletics down the road, but as we take a one-time hit on the buyouts, things will be tight in the short run.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:12 pm

A couple of Tweets from BA:

“I'm on fire!!!!!!! The off season is here and it's time to grind harder. Nothing given, everything EARNED. No time for distractions or feeling sorry for ourselves. Let's work! #TunnelVisioned #NoNonsense”

“Much respect to our student-athletes and coaches enduring a very tough year saddled with injuries, illness and even bereavement. Change towards growth will come soon. Thanks to ALL who stuck with us! #TrueTitans”
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:24 am

In light of the University's austerity plan that Rogobob cited, BA is not going anywhere. Besides, he's not going to voluntarily give up his $450,000-$500,000 annual compensation package. If he did that, Mrs Bacari would hit him over the head with a 2x4.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:14 am

TitanVoiceofReason wrote:In light of the University's austerity plan that Rogobob cited, BA is not going anywhere. Besides, he's not going to voluntarily give up his $450,000-$500,000 annual compensation package. If he did that, Mrs Bacari would hit him over the head with a 2x4.

You don't think he'd make a million dollar gift to the old alma mater? What a cynic.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:26 am

$250,000 can come quickly from a lower salary for our Men's Head Coach, and likely from the AD, without having to touch anything else.

Of course that's likely not this year due to BA either staying on, or having a buyout, but it is legitimate longer term cost structure correction that athletics could absorb without too big of an issue (in my opinion). Afterall, look at all the other HC's in America and Mid-major land that get paid way less than what we pay BA and for better results and return on that cost.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball