Loyola in NCAA

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Loyola in NCAA

Postby TitanKev83 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:42 pm

Hello, Titan Family. It is good to be back on the board. I didn't write much this season. Having started a new job in October and the way the season spiraled downward, I didn't get as emotionally involved. This afternoon I happened to catch most of the second half of Loyola's win to clinch a tournament berth. I admit, I felt sad to think where we have fallen to and to see where Loyola is. Differences? In my opinion, Loyola invested in their program.

First, they re-did Gentile Center into an arena, rather than keep its gymnasium feel. Second, they left the Horizon League, investing and taking a chance on moving up in leagues', rather than staying put. It's hard to imagine that 5-6 seasons ago, we were celebrating an NCAA Tournament bid, to be followed by an NIT bid. It seems like ions ago. I know things can change. One good recruit, I mean good recruit, think Willie Green and we could be looking at flipping our record the last two seasons. Still, I admit, it does seem like our mountain back is a major climb.

As a devoted fan, I guess the best course forward is to hope for the best. I don't expect the university administration to suddenly funnel millions into the program. However, I do hope they look at examples similar to us, i.e., Loyola and see what could be when the roads of vision, strategy, funding and decision-making converge on a path forward. I am not going to abandon the program. However, I would like to see us, feel like, we are moving forward. We have a proud history in athletics, basketball in particular, and it can be a vehicle that helps the university as a whole.

Kevin Byrnes
Former Titan Club Board Member
Class of '83
TitanKev83
Senior

Re: Loyola in NCAA

Postby Tacitus651 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:09 pm

Loyola invested so much in its program that it pays its head coach about $385,000.
http://loyolaphoenix.com/2017/10/moser- ... yees-2015/

If the rumors that we're paying BA 500K are true, shame on us. Time will tell when the next 990 comes out.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:43 am

As we applaud Loyola and all their success lately and smart moves...note that their president is a lay person.

Apparently their Board of Trustees and search committee did a terrible, terrible job by not finding a Jesuit to take the post eh Tacitus? (not mean spirited, I just know its a major point you've hollered about on here)
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:09 am

TitanTarHeel wrote:As we applaud Loyola and all their success lately and smart moves...note that their president is a lay person.

Apparently their Board of Trustees and search committee did a terrible, terrible job by not finding a Jesuit to take the post eh Tacitus? (not mean spirited, I just know its a major point you've hollered about on here)

TTH, you could post that the sky is blue and Christmas is in December and somehow that would lead Tacitus (and T96) to say that everyone is overpaid and needs to be fired.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:21 am

I'm still not a fan of lay presidents but her bio seems more impressive than G, but that's just my opinion. Look, everyone knows that Loyola has had some institutional struggles the past 5 years or so. I applaud them, that they've weathered the storm and are finally coming out of their funk. Also, they didn't let athletics fail during their bad times. They invested and they're using athletics as a tool to help with their brand.

Finally, Loyola can afford a lay president. They have an 800m endowment and a medical school that allows them to land serious research grants (those grants come with generous overhead fringe packages that benefit the university, and lets them expose undergrads to research). We have an endowment that is maybe 1/8th of theirs? We don't have any college or entity that funnels boat loads of cash into our school. We also don't have a beautiful lake shore campus in Chicago that attracts students from all over. I'm just saying we are very different institutions. We would benefit more from a religious leader.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:23 am

TitanTarHeel wrote:As we applaud Loyola and all their success lately and smart moves...note that their president is a lay person.

I sure wasn't saying "fire the coach" a few years ago when we had a winner leading us.
Tacitus651
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball