Poll: What should UDM next move be

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

What UDM should do next

Move down to a D-2 conference
2
8%
Leave the HL conference to a better D-1 conference
2
8%
Fire Vowels
9
35%
Fire the Men's basketball coaching staff
6
23%
Lower ticket prices
3
12%
Spend another 1 million on re-branding
2
8%
Do nothing and stay on track
1
4%
Update Wikipedia (Out of date by 2 years)
1
4%
 
Total votes : 26

Poll: What should UDM next move be

Postby JDetroitTitan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:26 am

In the last couple of years the university spent 1 mil in a "re-branding" (new logo) and about 3.1 to 3.3 mil on a head coach according to the free press ("He is expected to receive a seven-year deal that will pay between $450,000 and $475,000 per year, according to one person familiar with the negotiations"). During this time I was excited about all of this buzz going through this program and University. I felt the school was moving in the right direction. Now looking back on it I am speechless and disappointed with this season. All of the issues that happen with the suspension of the coach along with players not being able to play (because of academics) was just icing on the cake.
JDetroitTitan
Senior
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:36 am

Re: Poll: What should UDM next move be

Postby R.B.J1 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:52 pm

We are stuck on a treadmill until July, that's when UDM can fire Robert Vowels. Most schools would already have a list of potential replacements on speed dial, however, this is UDM, so most likely they will fire Vowels in July and start to look for replacements in August. Most likely they will also pay a search firm $500,000-$1,000,000 to find a candidate. Basically, we have to fire Vowels before we can do anything.
R.B.J1
Senior
 
Posts: 1976
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: Poll: What should UDM next move be

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:05 pm

JDetroitTitan wrote:In the last couple of years the university spent 1 mil in a "re-branding" (new logo) and about 3.1 to 3.3 mil on a head coach according to the free press ("He is expected to receive a seven-year deal that will pay between $450,000 and $475,000 per year, according to one person familiar with the negotiations"). During this time I was excited about all of this buzz going through this program and University. I felt the school was moving in the right direction. Now looking back on it I am speechless and disappointed with this season. All of the issues that happen with the suspension of the coach along with players not being able to play (because of academics) was just icing on the cake.


This has been discussed and is not true. I don’t know what he was paid but he got a 4 year deal. I also want Bacari to succeed.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:32 am

Re: Poll: What should UDM next move be

Postby JDetroitTitan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:50 pm

Resurget Cineribus wrote:
JDetroitTitan wrote:In the last couple of years the university spent 1 mil in a "re-branding" (new logo) and about 3.1 to 3.3 mil on a head coach according to the free press ("He is expected to receive a seven-year deal that will pay between $450,000 and $475,000 per year, according to one person familiar with the negotiations"). During this time I was excited about all of this buzz going through this program and University. I felt the school was moving in the right direction. Now looking back on it I am speechless and disappointed with this season. All of the issues that happen with the suspension of the coach along with players not being able to play (because of academics) was just icing on the cake.


This has been discussed and is not true. I don’t know what he was paid but he got a 4 year deal. I also want Bacari to succeed.


I tried looking it up and this was the best info I could get. Thanks for the good input. When I read it I was hoping they didn't do such a long contract with no D-1 head coach experience.

Also I would rather have us look for a higher D-1 conference. We have been on in this weak conference for 38 years (we are the longest member). It is a time to look to move. If the school is going to keep throwing money at the problem I would see how much it would cost to move into the AAC. Yes we would be the whipping boy of the conference. In turn give the school more exposure to draw higher talented players and coaching staff. Depending on the contract firing people will cost more money and will not guarantee wins. Moving to a higher conference will guarantee more exposure this can help bring more revenue in (more people see your school they will start using the school is an option for college).
JDetroitTitan
Senior
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:36 am

Re: Poll: What should UDM next move be

Postby NC Titan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:06 pm

JDetroitTitan wrote:
Resurget Cineribus wrote:
JDetroitTitan wrote:In the last couple of years the university spent 1 mil in a "re-branding" (new logo) and about 3.1 to 3.3 mil on a head coach according to the free press ("He is expected to receive a seven-year deal that will pay between $450,000 and $475,000 per year, according to one person familiar with the negotiations"). During this time I was excited about all of this buzz going through this program and University. I felt the school was moving in the right direction. Now looking back on it I am speechless and disappointed with this season. All of the issues that happen with the suspension of the coach along with players not being able to play (because of academics) was just icing on the cake.


This has been discussed and is not true. I don’t know what he was paid but he got a 4 year deal. I also want Bacari to succeed.


I tried looking it up and this was the best info I could get. Thanks for the good input. When I read it I was hoping they didn't do such a long contract with no D-1 head coach experience.

Also I would rather have us look for a higher D-1 conference. We have been on in this weak conference for 38 years (we are the longest member). It is a time to look to move. If the school is going to keep throwing money at the problem I would see how much it would cost to move into the AAC. Yes we would be the whipping boy of the conference. In turn give the school more exposure to draw higher talented players and coaching staff. Depending on the contract firing people will cost more money and will not guarantee wins. Moving to a higher conference will guarantee more exposure this can help bring more revenue in (more people see your school they will start using the school is an option for college).


You overstate the cost of the re-branding by about double. And it was more than a re-brand and new logo, it was a new website, too.

We have to earn into a higher conference. It's not a matter of writing a check.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 2299
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Poll: What should UDM next move be

Postby JDetroitTitan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:26 pm

I guess are program is stuck in purgatory or hell depending on your perspectives. Oh yeah it must be hell OU fans are using are board.
JDetroitTitan
Senior
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:36 am

Re: Poll: What should UDM next move be

Postby MooseGuy1 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:45 pm

I voted to do nothing. My reasoning is that with AD Vowels' NCAA background, he can eventually pull enough strings to expand the NCAA Tournament by a few teams...say, 350. We'll have a good shot at getting an at large bid when that happens.
MooseGuy1
Senior
 
Posts: 3626
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Re: Poll: What should UDM next move be

Postby UDDRUMMER » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:44 am

With our record the past few years what better mid major conference would want us to join? I feel we need to string some good seasons together (example Butler) to consider moving on to another conference.

I feel we need to apart ways with AD Vowels. I have been very disappointed with the Athletic Department this season. A few reasons... how they handled the BA incident early in the season, no fly dogs at half time, and the Titan Club seems to be a place for left over campus food. I understand a winning team helps, but I feel the department has lost touch with the fans.
I got a fever..the only prescription is more COWBELL!

UDM Alum Class of 2012
http://youtu.be/fyV2cPLuFuA
UDDRUMMER
Senior
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:53 am

Re: Poll: What should UDM next move be

Postby JDetroitTitan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:50 am

UDDRUMMER wrote:Titan Club seems to be a place for left over campus food. I understand a winning team helps, but I feel the department has lost touch with the fans.


Food was sad this year in the Titan Club. They should go back to the old price for the Titan Club and remove the donated food.
JDetroitTitan
Senior
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:36 am

Re: Poll: What should UDM next move be

Postby JimmyChitwood » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:42 am

JDetroitTitan wrote:
UDDRUMMER wrote:Titan Club seems to be a place for left over campus food. I understand a winning team helps, but I feel the department has lost touch with the fans.


Food was sad this year in the Titan Club. They should go back to the old price for the Titan Club and remove the donated food.

Winning sure does help, but I know a lot of people just don't like the feel of the place the last few years, going back to pre BA, and coinciding with Vowels. Not completely blaming Robert, but many got used to the friendliness of Brad and more Keri, and even Jason, and all of their staffs. Robert's regime was much more business-like and distant. Some may say that is good. But we do not have a huge fan base and the fan base was fairly solid. I do not see that anymore. I know my once die-hard interest is almost gone. Raising the dues to get into the Titan Club room may have looked good on paper and in thought, but they never asked the Titan Club members or even Titan Club Board what they thought -- the just did it. They even changed the name of the Club to the Titan Athletic Club. Another poor rebranding. And there was nothing wrong at all with the Titan Club.

And please stop talking about moving to "better" conference, at least for now. That thought is delusional. Start at the bottom and build the program and university back up. I'd almost rather go to another conference where we can be competitive. What's the difference if we play UIC or South Central North Dakota State -Bismark?

Lets get a clean slate across athletic administration and men's basketball coaching staffs. Bring in an AD that wants to build relationships and a coach that is good with the Xs and Os.
JimmyChitwood
Senior
 
Posts: 1373
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:30 pm

Re: Poll: What should UDM next move be

Postby Commissioner » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:51 am

What's the difference if we play UIC or South Central North Dakota State -Bismark?

Travel, man, travel.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior
 
Posts: 4703
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: Poll: What should UDM next move be

Postby Titan Jim » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:00 am

Right after it was announced, Michael Miller told me that the dues increase was his idea.
Titan Jim
Senior
 
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:27 pm

Re: Poll: What should UDM next move be

Postby dennycrane » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:25 am

Unless I'm mistaken, Woody, under the current AD is the first time we've had a designated fundraiser working for the department. Hence, what better way to show progress in fundraising than by bumping up people who are already donating to higher giving levels. I'm not saying it was a completely bad idea or a completely good one. The four hundred percent increase however caused some to abandon the club, made it unaffordable for others and changed the overall feel. Noticeably, we who were just fans in the past were now regarded as "donors". Jim is right. The entire plan was Michael Miller's design. And, I agree, there was nothing wrong with the name Titan Club.

As for the food, it was up and down over the past season and the last weeks of the previous season. They seemed to finish well for the Milw. and GB games recently though. Happy's Pizza apparently did not renew as a sponsor and I'm not sure about Dickey's. I saw packaging and paraphenalia from Gordon's a few times; it may have been a DIY operation at times.
dennycrane
Senior
 
Posts: 759
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:35 am

Re: Poll: What should UDM next move be

Postby NC Titan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:44 am

Titan Jim wrote:Right after it was announced, Michael Miller told me that the dues increase was his idea.


Just to be clear, Michael Miller the departed fund-raiser and not Mike Miller the current Associate AD, right?
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 2299
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Poll: What should UDM next move be

Postby dennycrane » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:46 am

That's right, NCT.
dennycrane
Senior
 
Posts: 759
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:35 am

Re: Poll: What should UDM next move be

Postby NC Titan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:56 am

dennycrane wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, Woody, under the current AD is the first time we've had a designated fundraiser working for the department.


It would be interesting to know what Michael accomplished as Athletics fund-raiser. (Just as an FYI, he did not work for Vowels, he worked for the administration department that manages all of the different college fund-raisers.) I know Michael was involved with the study center project (thank you Eli Holman) and I think the refurbishing of the locker room(s). He had plans for upgrading the weight room and some other Calihan facilities, but I don't know what eventually happened there.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 2299
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Poll: What should UDM next move be

Postby Titan Jim » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:13 pm

It is my understanding that after the dues increase, donations were down significantly. I just think that it would have made more sense to add donation levels, rather than significantly raising the base donation levels for the Titan and CAL Clubs. As an aging CAL Club member, it was a tough sell at home to pay $500 a year more, when the team is losing and the games are on TV.
Titan Jim
Senior
 
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:27 pm

Re: Poll: What should UDM next move be

Postby JimmyChitwood » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:19 pm

Chris Czarnick (sp?) and Robert Carlesso were development people specifically designated to athletics in the past.

While the lines sometimes got long in the Titan Club room, the crowded room was nicer than the half full room with so-so food. Let everyone feel like they are wanted and appreciated. That is how you increase donations. I know I started at $100 and went to CAL Club . . . and then back down recently.
JimmyChitwood
Senior
 
Posts: 1373
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:30 pm

Re: Poll: What should UDM next move be

Postby Commissioner » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:28 pm

Titan Jim wrote:It is my understanding that after the dues increase, donations were down significantly. I just think that it would have made more sense to add donation levels, rather than significantly raising the base donation levels for the Titan and CAL Clubs. As an aging CAL Club member, it was a tough sell at home to pay $500 a year more, when the team is losing and the games are on TV.

I dropped when they raised the dues. Hard to justify when I'm lucky to make 2-3 games a year at Calihan.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior
 
Posts: 4703
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: Poll: What should UDM next move be

Postby Titans96 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:54 pm

Interesting happenings at a fellow RPI 300+ school today:

"So, Cal State Northridge AD Brandon Martin fired head coach Reggie Theus last night, and then Martin was fired today, school announced."

Hopefully Dr. Garabaldi and the Board are noticing these actions and thinking in the same mindset.

To make matters worse for the Titans, Nate Oats (former head coach at Romulus HS and someone Vowels passed over as a head coach candidate) was named as the Mid-American Conference Coach of the Year by a landslide over Toledo's Tod Kowalczyk. His University of Buffalo Bulls finished the regular season at 23-8 and in his 3 years at Buffalo as head coach he has a 60-38 record. It really makes one wonder why we are still hanging on for great things from BA who has 16 wins in 2 seasons.
Last edited by Titans96 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Titans96
Senior
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:20 am

Next

Return to Men's Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests

cron