Poll: What should UDM next move be

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

What UDM should do next

Move down to a D-2 conference
8%
Leave the HL conference to a better D-1 conference
8%
Fire Vowels
35%
Fire the Men's basketball coaching staff
23%
Lower ticket prices
12%
Spend another 1 million on re-branding
8%
Do nothing and stay on track
4%
Update Wikipedia (Out of date by 2 years)
4%

Total votes : 26

Re: Poll: What should UDM next move be

Postby Commissioner » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:17 pm

Titans96 wrote:Interesting happenings at a fellow RPI 300+ school today:

"So, Cal State Northridge AD Brandon Martin fired head coach Reggie Theus last night, and then Martin was fired today, school announced."

Hopefully Dr. Garabaldi and the Board are noticing these actions and thinking in the same mindset.

Why do we care if Garibaldi would have fired Brandon Martin?
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:33 pm

Yes, I stand corrected. Dennis Carlesso, not Robert, was involved in athletics fundraising for some period of time a few years ago. The other name is not familiar to me, except that I do recall a similar name involved with the UD baseball team back when we had one.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:47 pm

"So, Cal State Northridge AD Brandon Martin fired head coach Reggie Theus last night, and then Martin was fired today, school announced."

Hopefully Dr. Garabaldi and the Board are noticing these actions and thinking in the same mindset.

To make matters worse for the Titans, Nate Oats (former head coach at Romulus HS and someone Vowels passed over as a head coach candidate) was named as the Mid-American Conference Coach of the Year by a landslide over Toledo's Tod Kowalczyk. His University of Buffalo Bulls finished the regular season at 23-8 and in his 3 years at Buffalo as head coach he has a 60-38 record. It really makes one wonder why we are still hanging on for great things from BA who has 16 wins in 2 seasons.

Commissioner, I know its very difficult to comprehend for some. Since 65% of the voters in this poll say the AD and Coach should be fired, then if Garabaldi and the Board learn from our fellow awful basketball program at Cal Northridge, then Vowels will fire BA and then Garabaldi will fire Vowels. That would certainly help in starting the process of turning this current dumpster fire around. Then the Titans can find a head coach from high school like Nate Oats, and quickly fix the losing ways of Vowels/BA.
Titans96
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:27 pm

To make matters worse for the Titans, Nate Oats (former head coach at Romulus HS and someone Vowels passed over as a head coach candidate) was named as the Mid-American Conference Coach of the Year by a landslide over Toledo's Tod Kowalczyk. His University of Buffalo Bulls finished the regular season at 23-8 and in his 3 years at Buffalo as head coach he has a 60-38 record. It really makes one wonder why we are still hanging on for great things from BA who has 16 wins in 2 seasons.

If Oats has been head coach for three years, and two years ago he was passed over by Vowels, that would mean that he was applying for new coaching jobs after just one year as head coach at Buffalo. Or else that his name was bandied about but he did not apply. Which one?
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:48 pm

NC, coaching prospects don't "apply" for a job. The school AD performs a search and should look for candidates who can help the program advance. Some coaching prospects express an interest in the job and some are recruited by the AD in hopes of them considering a change. Oats signed a new 5 year deal in 2016 after his first strong year at Buffalo (he was an assistant for Bobby Hurley who left to AZ). His current base is $250,000 + performance bonuses. Let's just say that if our AD was smart (which he isn't) he should have offered Oats a job for say $300,000 + performance bonuses instead of paying BA $450K. My guess is Oats would have considered the job and we may have a 20 win team instead of an 8 win team.
Titans96
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:51 pm

NC Titan wrote:

If Oats has been head coach for three years, and two years ago he was passed over by Vowels, that would mean that he was applying for new coaching jobs after just one year as head coach at Buffalo. Or else that his name was bandied about but he did not apply. Which one?

As usual 96 writes the story to try and get his old girl friend back. She must have never told him why she left. Oats never applied for the U of D job. He was Hurley's assist. at Buffalo for 2 years and then was given the job when Hurley left.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:58 pm

Titans96 wrote:NC, coaching prospects don't "apply" for a job. The school AD performs a search and should look for candidates who can help the program advance. Some coaching prospects express an interest in the job and some are recruited by the AD in hopes of them considering a change. Oats signed a new 5 year deal in 2016 after his first strong year at Buffalo (he was an assistant for Bobby Hurley who left to AZ). His current base is $250,000 + performance bonuses. Let's just say that if our AD was smart (which he isn't) he should have offered Oats a job for say $300,000 + performance bonuses instead of paying BA $450K. My guess is Oats would have considered the job and we may have a 20 win team instead of an 8 win team.

UP, please read. It may enlighten you!
Titans96
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:13 pm

Titans96 wrote:

Commissioner, I know its very difficult to comprehend for some. Since 65% of the voters in this poll say the AD and Coach should be fired, then if Garabaldi and the Board learn from our fellow awful basketball program at Cal Northridge, then Vowels will fire BA and then Garabaldi will fire Vowels. That would certainly help in starting the process of turning this current dumpster fire around. Then the Titans can find a head coach from high school like Nate Oats, and quickly fix the losing ways of Vowels/BA.

It do we want to learn from Cal State Northridge? After all, I'm reliably told they are a really awful
Program with an RPI even worse than ours. Probably we should learn from a rising program like Buffalo, and just promote the #1 assistant to the top job. I'm sure you would agree.

96 and I don't agree on much, but when it comes to promoting from within, we're like twins.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:24 pm

I would suggest hiring a really good coach is the best answer. It has nothing to do with hiring from within.

As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure there wasn't a chance in hell that Oats would have taken the job with the mandate from Vowels that JJSr be part of the package. Oats would not want anything to do with JJSr, along with most of the other highly qualified candidates (both college and high school).
Titans96
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:59 pm

I just saw the UofD High Cubs (#3 in State) beat Hazel Park (#4 in State) in the playoffs at Renaissance HS. I guess UofD lost to Hazel Park earlier this year, but heard they were missing some players (the big kid who the Titans are recruiting and the MSU football recruit). The UofD Coach and his staff are amazing. He can coach. Hazel Park was a much more athletic team, but the UofD team knows how to play some serious defense. Can we get him and his staff instead of BA and BA's staff?

A UofD student gave me this web site to show how great their coach is. How about that, a student at the school is proud of his coach? http://www.maxpreps.com/news/iNtO40vBZ0 ... jesuit.htm

He would be just like Nate Oats. We need to get this guy!

I wonder if Vowels even thought about this guy? He certainly wouldn't cost $450K+ per year and he surely would win way more than 8 games per year. My guess is he still would have rejected JJSr. as his assistant.
Titans96
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:54 am

I think that the Athletic Department and university should focus on what they can and cannot control at this point, I think fundraising for facility improvements need to continue to improve all programs both BA or new coach would benefit from those, we also have 17 non-basketball sports that would benefit from improvements in facilities. I get basketball is our marquee sport but I would hate for us to not do a good job elsewhere because our basketball program has struggled for the last two years. I think the fundraising for the lights for softball, titan field and Calihan Hall as well as improvements to Titan Field benefits most of our 19 D1 sports and that should be a priority, better facilities attract better recruits, coaches and conferences. It would be nice if our student-athletes would be able to practice on our own turf and not have to drive to an off-campus facility, this would also be a cost saving and improve the experience of our athletes.
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:06 am

Pittsburgh just fired Head Coach Kevin Stallings after 2 years (he had a 6 year contract). He went 16-17 his 1st year and 8-24 this year (same record as the Titans).

Pittsburgh isn't going to sit around and wait for another year or two to see if Stallings can turn the boat around. They see the disaster in the makings and are making the change now.

Hopefully the leadership at UDM is learning something from these other schools who are taking action to correct their errors.
Titans96
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:23 am

Titans96 wrote:Pittsburgh just fired Head Coach Kevin Stallings after 2 years (he had a 6 year contract). He went 16-17 his 1st year and 8-24 this year (same record as the Titans).

Pittsburgh isn't going to sit around and wait for another year or two to see if Stallings can turn the boat around. They see the disaster in the makings and are making the change now.

Hopefully the leadership at UDM is learning something from these other schools who are taking action to correct their errors.

$
titanmike
Senior

Postby kirky313 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:59 pm

uofdmik2008 wrote:I think that the Athletic Department and university should focus on what they can and cannot control at this point, I think fundraising for facility improvements need to continue to improve all programs both BA or new coach would benefit from those, we also have 17 non-basketball sports that would benefit from improvements in facilities. I get basketball is our marquee sport but I would hate for us to not do a good job elsewhere because our basketball program has struggled for the last two years. I think the fundraising for the lights for softball, titan field and Calihan Hall as well as improvements to Titan Field benefits most of our 19 D1 sports and that should be a priority, better facilities attract better recruits, coaches and conferences. It would be nice if our student-athletes would be able to practice on our own turf and not have to drive to an off-campus facility, this would also be a cost saving and improve the experience of our athletes.

This goes with the university's long-term vision, I don't think we have the space for an indoor practice space or let's be honest the money.
I also don't think we have the money to fire BA and Firing any assistant but Peter is silly, Are we really better off without JJ3, Jack, and Josh and Gerald? Without Kam? We made our bed, now we have to lay in it.
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:34 pm

Six Jesuit programs are on quests to win a national championship at the NCAA DII, NCAA DIII, and NAIA levels. Good luck to @ScrantonWBB, @JCUMensHoops, @LeMoyneMBB, @RegisBball, @WJU_Basketball, and @LoyolaWolfPack! #JesuitEducated
Titans96
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:55 pm

kirky313 wrote:
uofdmik2008 wrote:I think that the Athletic Department and university should focus on what they can and cannot control at this point, I think fundraising for facility improvements need to continue to improve all programs both BA or new coach would benefit from those, we also have 17 non-basketball sports that would benefit from improvements in facilities. I get basketball is our marquee sport but I would hate for us to not do a good job elsewhere because our basketball program has struggled for the last two years. I think the fundraising for the lights for softball, titan field and Calihan Hall as well as improvements to Titan Field benefits most of our 19 D1 sports and that should be a priority, better facilities attract better recruits, coaches and conferences. It would be nice if our student-athletes would be able to practice on our own turf and not have to drive to an off-campus facility, this would also be a cost saving and improve the experience of our athletes.

This goes with the university's long-term vision, I don't think we have the space for an indoor practice space or let's be honest the money.
I also don't think we have the money to fire BA and Firing any assistant but Peter is silly, Are we really better off without JJ3, Jack, and Josh and Gerald? Without Kam? We made our bed, now we have to lay in it.

There was a study done and there is space, the school and the University have a long term vision for athletics! The study included what you might call an athletic village at the University. The school and Athletic Department has to tackle one thing at a time, they don't have the money that is why they fundraise from alums and corporate donors. There will be important announcements on fund raising projects soon enough to improve facilities for our student athletes. The financial situation at the school is changing drastically for the better within then next 2 years due to an unprecedented measures to improve the fiscal health of the university both thru appropriate cost savings and work to increase enrollment as well as endowment. The President and Board of trustees are committed to the Titans winning, its just that the past few years there were many University wide initiatives that had to be addressed first to make sure the school is on sound footing and around for many more generations. Some of these things will be resolved this and next year freeing up potentially resources for Athletics.
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:47 pm

Here's the latest update on some campus improvements: http://udmercy.edu/about/news/articles/2018/03-08-campaign-progress.php
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:12 pm

NC Titan wrote:Here's the latest update on some campus improvements: http://udmercy.edu/about/news/articles/2018/03-08-campaign-progress.php

"The good news is that 77 percent of the total contributions have come from individuals who love the University and the vast majority of those donors are alumni of University of Detroit, Mercy College of Detroit or Detroit Mercy,”

Maybe a few more if we were University of Detroit, just sayin......
titanmike
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:27 pm

titanmike wrote:
NC Titan wrote:Here's the latest update on some campus improvements: http://udmercy.edu/about/news/articles/2018/03-08-campaign-progress.php

"The good news is that 77 percent of the total contributions have come from individuals who love the University and the vast majority of those donors are alumni of University of Detroit, Mercy College of Detroit or Detroit Mercy,”

Agreed. Paying $1M for a study and then not changing the name was twice as irresponsible as the BA contract. If the name were "University of Detroit", I'd still be donating at the same level I do today. However, the amount of apparel I buy for myself and my family would increase ten-fold.
udballer
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:02 pm

udballer wrote:
titanmike wrote:

Agreed. Paying $1M for a study and then not changing the name was twice as irresponsible as the BA contract. If the name were "University of Detroit", I'd still be donating at the same level I do today. However, the amount of apparel I buy for myself and my family would increase ten-fold.

The school didn't spend $1 million. It was about half that and it was for more than the study of the name change. Stop repeating an untrue statement.
NC Titan
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball