Oakland Board...

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Oakland Board...

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:40 pm

Haven’t been there in a while but it is blowing up. Someone named Grizzzz is going nuts joined by a few others. Someone actually said Grizzzz is our own Rogobob (who I know, and I know he would never do that). I thought we had it bad.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Re: Oakland Board...

Postby Oudrummer » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:59 pm

It’s really just one troll. Happened last year too.

Claiming it was Rogo was ridiculous. Season ended poorly. Overall a bad season for what we were sold it would be. Fans are venting. One troll going ham. Personally, I’m walking away for awhile. Sick of being told I’m a bad fan for being critical while staying respectful. Not the sort of program I’m interested in spending my time and money on at this point.
Oudrummer
Senior

Postby Notsosmart » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:32 pm

The guy on the Oakland board said because Oakland only scored 43 points that he hopes Kampe gets Anal Cancer and dies, and that Kampe should be strung up from a tree and have his fat a** beaten until they knock the 300 pound out of him. Looks like they took the cancer post down. Wow. Let's start a kampe to Detroit campaign. He makes 150k less then BA. They only won 70 games the last 3 years with a championship and a second place finish. I guess their people think they should be a 1 seed
Notsosmart
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:28 pm

Have to feel just a little sorry for Oakland fans.

They were lined up for the big year last year, with Kay Felder returning. They had a great non-conference schedule, with only 2 true road games (Bob Morris and MSU), the Great Alaska Shootout, a home game with Georgia; all the key parts back from a 23 win team. Then Felder went NBA early and while they were very good (25-9, beat Clemson in NIT), with Felder they might have been Sweet 16/votes in the polls good. But OK, this year they add Nunn, and they've still got almost all the key parts back from that 25 win team, and they've got an excellent freshman recruit in Beck, and then injuries--and also some subpar performances and bad roster decisions--brought them crashing down. Not crashing in the Titan sense, of course--they won 19 games, after all--but crashing vs. expectations and the fact that they actually got votes in the pre-season AP poll. Two years in a row they looked like a mid-major that could really make some noise (which would have helped the Horizon, too), and then they took the hits.

So you gotta feel a bit for our pals up north... Well, NOT.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:31 pm

I will never feel sorry for those suckas in Rochester.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:57 pm

And next year might be really bad for them (like our kind of bad) so welcome to the club though we should be better next year than Oakland and as I stated previously I want to give Bacari and JJ one more year to turn things around (I don’t feel this way about Vowels though).
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby Oudrummer » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:22 pm

Assuming everyone plays that’s expected to and no ridiculous injuries, I am nowhere near as worried about next year as some. No need to bog down your board with OU future chatter. If anyone is actually interested there’s a discussion on our board about it. Assuming you’re not, we’ve ran this rivalry up until now. Now both teams have some work to do to make sure we’re not battling in the HL basement.
Oudrummer
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:18 pm

With so many seniors on this year's Oakland team, it looks like a rebuilding year, although Commish did tout the incoming class.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:27 pm

Do they have a good incoming class. I hadn’t heard anything unless you know about players getting kicked off of their teams.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:04 pm

This is what the Commish wrote earlier this season:

They're redshirting two bigs this year--Xavier Hill-Maas, whom they decided to redshirt because they didn't think he'd play much this year and they wanted to "save him," and Brad Brechting, who was injured just before the season started. They probably should've "unredshirted" Hill-Maas then, but didn't, and won't want to now. They add Kamari Newman, who is sitting out this year as a transfer from George Mason. He averaged 15 minutes a game for GMU last year as a freshman. Isaiah Brock should be back (though remember he almost quit this year), and James Beck, who's been nagged by injuries all year but could be pretty good player. And they'll get Neely back, who was leading the Horizon in assists. None of Hill-Maas, Brechting, Brock, or Neely score much, so they'll need some punch. I'd expect OU next year to start something like:
PG - Neely (led Horizon in assists)
SG - Newman
SF - Beck
PF - Brock
C - Brechting.

Bench will have Hill-Maas, Stan Scott, and Chris Palombizio. Traveon Maddox is a signed recruit who could help at guard next year. Braden Norris (LOI signed) is a pretty good point guard from central Ohio who can probably back up Neely adequately. The big question mark is 6-10 Nigerian Babtunde Sowunmi. If he turns out to be Solanke, no big deal. Tony Paul wrote a glowing profile of him when he signed, like he was the second coming of Bill Russell or something. But it's virtually impossible to find much real info on him, and he plays for a very tiny private school. So it's hard to know if Kampe really has anything there.

Anyway, they'll be competitive next year. But this was the year they had been waiting for. Meanwhile, we've just got to get better.
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Oudrummer » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:12 pm

Fine, I’ll bite.

OU obviously loses major seniors and scoring. That’s scary. They will however have an inside prescensce that should give most teams in the HL trouble. Assuming everything goes as expected:

C/F: Brock, Brechting, XHM are the main 3. Palmer who got some spot minutes this year and freshman Sawonmi Babtumde (6’11” 250 lb) that is quite the load down low.

3/4: Beck, Palombizio, and freshman from Novi Traveob Maddux who was a fringe candidate for Mr. basketball

Guards: Neely, GW transfer Kamari Newman, Jaevin Cumberland, freshman from Ohio Braiden Norris and freshman from Chicago Kenny Pittman.

It’s a lot of unknown. I’m excited for a team that doesn’t rely on a star or someone to be hot. Grind it out down low where we have the advantage most nights in conference.
Oudrummer
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:37 pm

See, good old fashioned hoops discussion can occur here amongst UD and OU fans without a throwdown. Good to see. *Leans across table, meets Drummer half way as we exchange fist bumps being sure not to knock over our respective fancy lemonades at Macaroni Grill*

Drum you are right about inside presence. Effective big guys can really make a huge difference in the HL, if that's a strength for OU than its a good strength next year indeed. The unknown aspect can make it fun. You see how the guys develop, how formations gel (or not), etc. Its fun to see the team figure it out as the year goes on. Then again, the last two years around these parts has had the unknown piece just none of the advancing together as a team, so an unknown doesn't merely make it a certainty there's a positive outcome.

OU losing SO much talent has me thinking they are a 5 or 6 seed next season in the HL. The amount of stats (minutes, points, rebounds, etc) being lost is just staggering. The freshmen and even Newman are just such huge unknowns on what they can do, heck everyone but Neely and Brock are unknowns really what they'll do under the bright lights of serious playing time. Thinking 5 or 6 finish in HL, with the high a ceiling of a 3 seed, a floor of a 8 seed. Just my 2 cents, and perhaps not even worth the back of the Macaroni Grill receipt its written on.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby titandave » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:17 pm

Oudrummer wrote:Assuming everyone plays that’s expected to and no ridiculous injuries, I am nowhere near as worried about next year as some. No need to bog down your board with OU future chatter. If anyone is actually interested there’s a discussion on our board about it. Assuming you’re not, we’ve ran this rivalry up until now. Now both teams have some work to do to make sure we’re not battling in the HL basement.

Likewise; I'm not as concerned about next season as some folks. This 8 player rotation looks pretty solid:

Backcourt ... McFolley, Allen, & JJJr
Wing ... Chatman & Nelson
Front Court ... Blackshear, Tariq Jones, & Long
titandave
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:30 pm

That's still a pretty weak front court, even in HL, unless Blackshear and Jones really improve over the off-season. I'm not sure what Blackshear's ceiling is, but I'm worried it's not much higher than his previous play. I don't think Long is a D1 front court player by any definition. That's no disrespect to Long, I love his attitude and hustle.

Problem is, we've had a decent roster already under this coaching regime and they continue to underperform. We pretty much need a Juco big right now, and we need Nelson to be D1 caliber by conference play.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titandave » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:46 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:That's still a pretty weak front court, even in HL, unless Blackshear and Jones really improve over the off-season. I'm not sure what Blackshear's ceiling is, but I'm worried it's not much higher than his previous play. I don't think Long is a D1 front court player by any definition. That's no disrespect to Long, I love his attitude and hustle.

Problem is, we've had a decent roster already under this coaching regime and they continue to underperform. We pretty much need a Juco big right now, and we need Nelson to be D1 caliber by conference play.

I certainly won't take issue with your point on adding a JUCO who is capable of immediately contributing in the front court. :)
titandave
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:53 pm

Tacitus is being extremely kind. With 5-8 key returning players, where is the defense going to come from? Where are the assists going to come from? Remember, we are losing 4 key seniors. Are Nelson, Blackshear and Jones going to be so powerful to overcome the disastrous season we had this year? I think the real answer is no chance in hell. I am sad to think that 24 losses may be a best case scenario next year. This team and coaching staff has "train wreck" written all over them. Who will replace what went away? Who will add to the defense from what we already had? Nothing good comes from this analysis. We are a dumpster fire in the works, and gasoline is being poured onto the fire daily.
Titans96
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:56 pm

titandave wrote:
Oudrummer wrote:Assuming everyone plays that’s expected to and no ridiculous injuries, I am nowhere near as worried about next year as some. No need to bog down your board with OU future chatter. If anyone is actually interested there’s a discussion on our board about it. Assuming you’re not, we’ve ran this rivalry up until now. Now both teams have some work to do to make sure we’re not battling in the HL basement.

Likewise; I'm not as concerned about next season as some folks. This 8 player rotation looks pretty solid:

Backcourt ... McFolley, Allen, & JJJr
Wing ... Chatman & Nelson
Front Court ... Blackshear, Tariq Jones, & Long

Although Long is a shot-blocker he is an outside player, a wing at best. Hightower is 6-foot-7 and 215 (same height and 30 pounds heavier than Nelson) and maybe he can help out at forward.

Do we think Jones will be back?
NC Titan
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:04 pm

Titans96 wrote:Remember, we are losing 4 key seniors.

Four key players? IJones barely played, Hogan not at all. Our graduation losses are Black, who blossomed the second half of the season, and Prince, who played hard all year and was the energy force on the floor.

But, yes, we still need a big man who can contribute on both ends of the floor -- especially on D.
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:16 pm

Yes, 4 key players! Where does the improvement come from next year? Remember, we were close to the worst team in the NCAA in defense, and one of the 25 worst teams in the NCAA overall. Please educate me on where the improvements will come from to help us improve?
Titans96
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:24 pm

Bottom line is this: both OU and Dtrt Mrc are up crap creek without paddles next year based on roster talent. Sure, both teams have a few gems. Neely is a very good player, and I'm sure Kampe will have plays designed to move the ball and run the most efficient offense possible. McFolley and Allen are very good players. But, they can't win games on their own. They can't stop JJJ and Chatman from going trigger happy and taking bad shots. Sure, on nights that Chatman plays well it's really exciting and maybe we win a few of those games. Problem is, Chatman is only on half the games. You never know what you're going to get, and even nights he is on, Dtrt Mrc and Chatman himself play zero defense and we can easily still lose. The only person who can fix that is Bacari Alexander and I just don't see that happening.

I'd feel more comfortable as an OU fan next year. Good coach, good fan attendance, rising brand, and just maybe the roster will be good enough to grind it out and win some games like drummer said. My prediction for next year is OU 5th and Dtrt Mrc cellar.
Tacitus651
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball