Next year's schedule. What to expect? Your top 3 opponents?

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Next year's schedule. What to expect? Your top 3 opponents?

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:36 pm

I anticipate the 18-19 season will have a very low strength of schedule. This is for obvious reasons. If you're BA (assuming he is coach), you want to break through that elusive 8 game win barrier. And, while the win at SLU was fun, we probably have no chance of upsetting high majors, and certainly no chance of beating P5 schools. The problem with booking a lot of cupcakes is, when you're a bottom 40 program, there are not many cupcakes out there.

So, now that it's early March and other teams prepare for tournaments, let's discuss next year's schedule. Thoughts on strength of schedule? Top 3 teams you'd like to see Dtrt Mrc play?
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior

Re: Next year's schedule. What to expect? Your top 3 opponen

Postby Commissioner » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:48 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I anticipate the 18-19 season will have a very low strength of schedule. This is for obvious reasons. If you're BA (assuming he is coach), you want to break through that elusive 8 game win barrier. And, while the win at SLU was fun, we probably have no chance of upsetting high majors, and certainly no chance of beating P5 schools. The problem with booking a lot of cupcakes is, when you're a bottom 40 program, there are not many cupcakes out there.

So, now that it's early March and other teams prepare for tournaments, let's discuss next year's schedule. Thoughts on strength of schedule? Top 3 teams you'd like to see Dtrt Mrc play?

We are the cupcake.

Still, for several years now I have urged a lighter schedule. We just need some Ws. And we need to try to avoid our usual schedule which is front-loaded with on the road "guarantee" games.

I think WMU is the only game definitely on the schedule for next year. Maybe Toledo.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:04 pm

I'd like a mostly Midwest based non-conference schedule. Would like to see us play at DePaul (new stadium does seem nice), ND (biased, 10 min drive for me). I do think it's important for any team to travel somewhere nice once per season. I'd like to see us play Santa Clara. If we're going to fly to CA, I'd rather play a game we have a remote chance at a win rather than get blown out by a UCLA.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:26 pm

I know, let’s load up on the Wayne State and Ferris State type of teams!!! Oops, forgot we can’t beat them either.

Maybe the UofD Cubs will play them? Not sure we could beat them either - just ask JJJr, Ballantyne and Joubert. They could never beat them.
Titans96
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:07 pm

Someone is out there hustling, and it sure isn’t the Titans Vowels/BA Staffs.

Oakland men's basketball will host a Thanksgiving weekend tournament at the O'Rena this year. Welcoming James Madison, Oral Roberts and Northern Illinois.
Titans96
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:34 pm

I recall some discussion at a Titan luncheon last fall indicating that we would be in the Legends Classic exempt tournament for 2018-19, and Detroit Mercy would get to host a couple games in the sub-regional.
Last edited by Rogobob77 on Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:25 am

Titans96 wrote:Someone is out there hustling, and it sure isn’t the Titans Vowels/BA Staffs.

Oakland men's basketball will host a Thanksgiving weekend tournament at the O'Rena this year. Welcoming James Madison, Oral Roberts and Northern Illinois.

You have to be freaking kidding me, you bring that crap? FFS.
titanmike
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:08 am

Mike,

Let me get this straight. For years I have read this board and its members complaining about how Ray failed to get out the roster and schedule in a timely manner. Then this same Board proclaimed how Vowels/BA would turn things around and get out the roster and schedule in a timely manner. As a matter of fact, Vowels/BA got the roster and schedule out much later than Ray ever did.

Now, I post a note from Tony Paul describing how OU was communicating and promoting its tournament over Thanksgiving, listing the teams and doing so in March. Now you are pissed about that. Why? Is it because OU is much more organized and skilled at managing their program compared to our Titans? Is it because I am stating that Vowels/BA are incompetent and neither is skilled at managing a high or low caliber NCAA D1 Program, let alone knowing how to communicate or market the Titans program?

I get that you are frustrated with the incompetence of the Vowels/BA program, we all are. Until the Vowels/BA Teams are gone, we will continue to flounder in incompetence and underperformance.

By the way, no - I am not "freaking kidding" you and did not "bring that crap" "FFS". That was all posted on the internet by Tony Paul.
Titans96
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:46 am

See, the above example is a case where 96 makes a great point. Yes, he excessively posts negative comments and criticizes BA more than anyone else. But what he just posted is 100% true and relevant. When 96 does make valid points and backs people into corners in terms of debate, no one responds. Or, they just say he's a hater.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:56 am

Tacitus651 wrote:See, the above example is a case where 96 makes a great point. Yes, he excessively posts negative comments and criticizes BA more than anyone else. But what he just posted is 100% true and relevant. When 96 does make valid points and backs people into corners in terms of debate, no one responds. Or, they just say he's a hater.

Not true!! Poison!! Tilted!! If I were a Titan opponent I would hope Detroit had 1000 so called fans.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:59 am

He validly passes on the info that OU is putting together a Thanksgiving tournament. No issue there.

But then he immediate translates that to meaning that UDM clearly doesn't have its act together.

How many teams have their schedule built out yet? OU doesn't, which clearly shows they are failing too. Loyola does not. Duke, North Carolina, Notre Dame, DePaul does not.

Now, do I fully entrust the current AD/headcoach? No. But I don't quite see the 'if this, then that' of his equation. Every post he has contains this sort of thing..."I hit a pothole on my way to work today, which of course is just another reminder about how awful UDM is". Yes, he hit a pothole. Does it have to do with UDM's struggles? Not really except for a reach of a metaphor.

So yes, he is just a myopic hater. Or at least that's how he presents himself on this board.

If we want to have a more thorough discussion on scheduling, on how we've done so in the past, on what we expect in the future...sure let's have it which is exactly what you tried to do. We can all be critical but its the one trick pony nature of 96 that is tiring to everyone, even if he may make a 'great point'.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:04 pm

Tacitus651 wrote: When 96 does make valid points and backs people into corners in terms of debate, no one responds. Or, they just say he's a hater.

Show me an example of this.

I don't really see a big differing of opinions on this board nowadays. We ALL are extremely frustrated and negative. Are we debating just how ugly our baby is? Yeah, it sure seems like it. To suggest 96 is undefeated in his arguments on this board with people would mean you are reading a different board than I am. That forgets the point altogether of why he comes in guns blazing against anyone/everyone.

I have thought about reaching out to 96 to grab a beer with him to talk hoops. I bet he's much more pleasant in person than his board persona lets on. Or I'd like to think so.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:11 pm

Titans96 wrote:Mike,

Let me get this straight. For years I have read this board and its members complaining about how Ray failed to get out the roster and schedule in a timely manner. Then this same Board proclaimed how Vowels/BA would turn things around and get out the roster and schedule in a timely manner. As a matter of fact, Vowels/BA got the roster and schedule out much later than Ray ever did.

Now, I post a note from Tony Paul describing how OU was communicating and promoting its tournament over Thanksgiving, listing the teams and doing so in March. Now you are pissed about that. Why? Is it because OU is much more organized and skilled at managing their program compared to our Titans? Is it because I am stating that Vowels/BA are incompetent and neither is skilled at managing a high or low caliber NCAA D1 Program, let alone knowing how to communicate or market the Titans program?

I get that you are frustrated with the incompetence of the Vowels/BA program, we all are. Until the Vowels/BA Teams are gone, we will continue to flounder in incompetence and underperformance.

By the way, no - I am not "freaking kidding" you and did not "bring that crap" "FFS". That was all posted on the internet by Tony Paul.

I guess you misunderstood my anger. I for the most part agree with you, but would like to see your definition of "much later". The pissing I am doing is saying to you, I could give a rats a** about those three teams while applauding the fact that they were able to seal that deal.
titanmike
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:16 pm

TitanTarHeel wrote:
Tacitus651 wrote: When 96 does make valid points and backs people into corners in terms of debate, no one responds. Or, they just say he's a hater.

I don't really see a big differing of opinions on this board nowadays. We ALL are extremely frustrated and negative. Are we debating just how ugly our baby is? Yeah, it sure seems like it. To suggest 96 is undefeated in his arguments on this board with people would mean you are reading a different board than I am. That forgets the point altogether of why he comes in guns blazing against anyone/everyone.

I have thought about reaching out to 96 to grab a beer with him to talk hoops. I bet he's much more pleasant in person than his board persona lets on. Or I'd like to think so.

Probably true, and I would venture to say he knows me and I probably know him, but he will use the anonymity of the board to rile things up and I get it. Yes we are all frustrated and angry. I however prefer the eternal optimist approach rather then the doom and gloom death sentence approach any day. I can deal with being wrong in the end, but I would rather be wrong while hoping for the best rather then right while fearing the worst.
titanmike
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:32 pm

Was BA the right choice? If you just base it on his first 2 years, the answer is NO. But we are not basing this decision on just 2 years, thank goodness. If he continues to fail for another year, then you can wrap it up and say goodbye and start over with a new head coach.

But I still know we needed a MAJOR OVERHAUL that included getting rid of lots of old issues. Did BA bring some "new" issues to the boat -- yes he did, and that was unnecessary and he has had a difficult time plugging those leaks, in fact they've gotten bigger, not smaller. Now he needs to remove some problems and recruit some talent and get his act in gear.

But there is still tremendous upside to this hire and for that potential outcome I am willing to give him one more year to figure it out, remove some problems on staff and in the locker room, and try it again in Year 3. For the 100th time: winning 17 games is not the goal. Getting to the NCAAs as a #15 seed is not the goal. If that's your goal, start rooting for OU or some other bottom feeder. We are the Titans and if you don't believe we'll rise again then why bother being a fan and caring?
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:02 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:See, the above example is a case where 96 makes a great point. Yes, he excessively posts negative comments and criticizes BA more than anyone else. But what he just posted is 100% true and relevant. When 96 does make valid points and backs people into corners in terms of debate, no one responds. Or, they just say he's a hater.

I'm beginning to think 96 is your alter ego.

I don't think I've seen 96 make a good point yet on which there isn't near unanimous agreement on this board. No insight at all in the man. And I've never seen him back anyone into a corner.

Oakland has, for a long time, been good about getting their schedule out early. They also do good PR work. I think both have long been recognized around here. Detroit is about average,as schools go, in getting out its schedule datewise. I am unaware of any advantage that accrues to schools that announce their schedules early, and our schedules our usually better and more interesting than Oakland's. I don't see hosting NIU, Oral Roberts, and James Madison as a great coup of some kind, and I'm not sure announcing it in March, when everyone is thinking tournament, is the best PR move.

Several schools in the Horizon have hosted these types of tournaments, with similar mid-majors, in recent years. They have their pluses and minuses. Plus is three home games. Big minus tends to be that it takes a lot of effort from the entire Athletic Department, that may not be worth the opportunity cost. Wright State has done it the last two years. I'm not as sure as '96 that that's why they won the conference this year, but hey, who wants to argue with correlation, right. Meanwhile, we've hosted Oral Roberts and James Madison in recent years, and we routinely host much better MAC teams than NIU. So this isn't some great scheduling bonanza.

'96 is just around to criticize everything, with nothing constructive or interesting to offer, which is why I'm unimpressed. I'm sure that as schools fire coaches over the next few weeks--as happens every year--we'll get a post every time about how "let's hope Garibaldi and Vowels learn something." Because, you know, as Cal-Northridge goes, so go the Titans. If that's great insight to you, cool.

So yeah, though Id be fine if we were hosting a tournament with the field that Oakland has put together, and I'd appreciate the early scheduling news, I don't think it makes much difference in the program one way or the other. Consider me less easily impressed with 96's supposed insights or criticisms than you, and not particularly impressed that OU is hosting the tournament or has filled out its field early. Great for OU. It is NOT evidence of a superior program.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:03 pm

TitanTarHeel wrote:He validly passes on the info that OU is putting together a Thanksgiving tournament. No issue there.

But then he immediate translates that to meaning that UDM clearly doesn't have its act together.

How many teams have their schedule built out yet? OU doesn't, which clearly shows they are failing too. Loyola does not. Duke, North Carolina, Notre Dame, DePaul does not.

Now, do I fully entrust the current AD/headcoach? No. But I don't quite see the 'if this, then that' of his equation. Every post he has contains this sort of thing..."I hit a pothole on my way to work today, which of course is just another reminder about how awful UDM is". Yes, he hit a pothole. Does it have to do with UDM's struggles? Not really except for a reach of a metaphor.

So yes, he is just a myopic hater. Or at least that's how he presents himself on this board.

If we want to have a more thorough discussion on scheduling, on how we've done so in the past, on what we expect in the future...sure let's have it which is exactly what you tried to do. We can all be critical but its the one trick pony nature of 96 that is tiring to everyone, even if he may make a 'great point'.

+1. Especially the pothole.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:25 pm

TitanTarHeel wrote:

Ok, one example that comes to mind is his argument on another thread about next year's team being less talented than this year's team. As of now, next year's team has a MAJOR gap in the front court. Hogan did at least play a good chunk of the season, and Prince was absolutely a presence near the rim. As noted, BA was thought to bring in bigs and coach them. Credit for bringing in Prince, but that was a one year bandaid. Who's next? Some people mention Long filling that gap. 96 made good points on that thread, and I'll acknowledge he brings it back to BA too much but I see his points. 96 is not my alter ego. I'm personally at a point now that I've accepted BA has at least one more year. I wish him well but, honestly, I'm worried we can't win 10 games even with the lightest schedule imaginable.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:52 pm

Wow, I guess you are all right, and I was wrong from the beginning.

Let me change my comments from the past to properly reflect what you all want to hear:
• Ray was a terrible coach, not worthy of being a Titan coach.
• Vowels was right when he forced JJSr onto Ray. Ray needed the guidance.
• Vowels was correct to fire Ray because Ray was taking us into a .500 season.
• BA was an awesome hire, there were no other candidates stronger in the universe.
• Thank god Vowels made BA keep JJSr as a coach because we would never have landed such a highly regarded coach or his highly desired son JJJr as our point guard of the future.
• Thank god BA and JJSr were able to land such strong recruits as Eichler and Long. We didn’t want Greg E or Ike E anyway, they were just not good enough to be Titans.
• I don’t know what I was thinking when I predicted 10 wins last year and 14 wins this year. I should have predicted at least 25 wins each year.
• I was so wrong in my assessment of JJJr. He can really shoot the ball and is an amazing assist provider. He will be leading the country in shooting percentage and assists, while playing the best lock down defense the Titans have ever seen, as a Freshman!
• The Titans will rise again and be a perpetual Top 10 team in the country within 3 years of BA’s arrival. Our RPI will never be above 100 with BA/JJSr at the helm.
• The Titans will have the strongest college program attendance numbers in the State of Michigan.
• Let’s bring on the Top 15 teams in the country in November and December so the Titans can start the season 15-0, and there is no way we should play those minor league teams like Wayne State or Ferris State – it’s a waste of our time.
• The donor support for the UDM Athletic Program will be astounding with the success of the team. The Titans don’t know what to do with all the money coming in.
• That Titan Athletic Department and its leadership have to be the best in the country.

That’s just a few changes. But boy was I wrong with my posts over the past few years. I stand corrected. I don’t know what I was thinking.
Titans96
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:43 pm

uofdfan1983 wrote:Was BA the right choice? If you just base it on his first 2 years, the answer is NO. But we are not basing this decision on just 2 years, thank goodness. If he continues to fail for another year, then you can wrap it up and say goodbye and start over with a new head coach.

But I still know we needed a MAJOR OVERHAUL that included getting rid of lots of old issues. Did BA bring some "new" issues to the boat -- yes he did, and that was unnecessary and he has had a difficult time plugging those leaks, in fact they've gotten bigger, not smaller. Now he needs to remove some problems and recruit some talent and get his act in gear.

But there is still tremendous upside to this hire and for that potential outcome I am willing to give him one more year to figure it out, remove some problems on staff and in the locker room, and try it again in Year 3. For the 100th time: winning 17 games is not the goal. Getting to the NCAAs as a #15 seed is not the goal. If that's your goal, start rooting for OU or some other bottom feeder. We are the Titans and if you don't believe we'll rise again then why bother being a fan and caring?

I'm still confused on how "3" seems to be the magic number? Most posters on this board have continually repeated that they are in support of a 3rd year for BA and would not let him go after year 2. I'm not in that boat, because I can't understand the logic that puts you in that boat. 16-47 deserves a third year despite iffy recruiting classes (which he was supposed to excel at), a 7-game suspension, no semblance of defensive improvement, etc? I can't come to grips with saying a third year has been earned. If you are all playing financial analyst for the university, maybe I can understand it a bit better... but from a true fan perspective this experiment should be over.

I fully expect the Titans to win more than 8 games next year. Do you know why? The answer is simply because I expected them to win 20 this past season. The talent was there once Prince and Chatman came on board to do just that. Even if you'd have shown me a picture of an out-of-shape Jaleel two days before season and allowed me to amend that... I may have dropped to an expectation of 17 wins. He is severely underachieving. If he comes back with a Sr. McFolley, Sr. Blackshear, Jr. Allen and Sr. Chatman next year and wins 14 games, I have a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach that some of you will claim "improvement" when there probably wasn't any on the part of the staff. With 1 or 2 more light recruiting classes, we'll be talking about giving him a year 4 (without the luxury of Chatman, McFolley, Blackshear) and most likely see another dip in wins.

BA and staff do not deserve a third year. I'm comfortable saying that. I am, however, resigned to the fact that they will most likely be here next October. Based on what I've seen to date, without a major uptick in recruiting gains in the 2018 class or early signees for 2019... they absolutely should not be back for a 4th year... and I wouldn't change that statement if they won 19 games next season.
udballer
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball