Next year's schedule. What to expect? Your top 3 opponents?

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Next year's schedule. What to expect? Your top 3 opponen

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:04 pm

baller, do you really need to have an in depth financial analysis to show you why we can't afford to fire BA now, a move that would cost us at least 1m?

I'd like him gone more than anyone (well....not anyone), but you're talking about paying BA 500K the next 2 seasons and paying a new HC at least 300K at the same time. As mentioned by others, the school was just offering early retirement options to faculty/staff to help free up money. Of course, I did not do an analysis and if they found a way to get rid of BA today, I'd be thrilled. I think Vowels screwed up beyond belief with the BA hire and other bad decisions. I know that we have hosting duties as an institution coming up, and you want an AD on staff to do basic work. But, Vowels should be fired immediately. He doesn't deserve to be a Titan and every day he reports to work should embarrass every single one of us.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:25 pm

Titans96 wrote:Wow, I guess you are all right, and I was wrong from the beginning.

Let me change my comments from the past to properly reflect what you all want to hear:
• Ray was a terrible coach, not worthy of being a Titan coach.-WRONG

• Vowels was right when he forced JJSr onto Ray. Ray needed the guidance.-WRONG AND WE CAN AGREE
• Vowels was correct to fire Ray because Ray was taking us into a .500 season.- UNCERTAIN OUTCOME
• BA was an awesome hire, there were no other candidates stronger in the universe.- SMART a** COMMENT
• Thank god Vowels made BA keep JJSr as a coach because we would never have landed such a highly regarded coach or his highly desired son JJJr as our point guard of the future.- VOWELS DID NOT FORCE JJSR ON BACARI.
• Thank god BA and JJSr were able to land such strong recruits as Eichler and Long. We didn’t want Greg E or Ike E anyway, they were just not good enough to be Titans.-LONG HAS TURNED OUT PRETTY GOOD I WOULD SAYING GOING INTO JR YEAR. EICHLER NEEDS WORK, BUT AT THE VERY LEAST HE DID WHAT HE WAS ASKED.
• I don’t know what I was thinking when I predicted 10 wins last year and 14 wins this year. I should have predicted at least 25 wins each year.-SMART a** COMMENT
• I was so wrong in my assessment of JJJr. He can really shoot the ball and is an amazing assist provider. He will be leading the country in shooting percentage and assists, while playing the best lock down defense the Titans have ever seen, as a Freshman!-SMART a** COMMENT
• The Titans will rise again and be a perpetual Top 10 team in the country within 3 years of BA’s arrival. Our RPI will never be above 100 with BA/JJSr at the helm.-SMART a** COMMENT
• The Titans will have the strongest college program attendance numbers in the State of Michigan.-SMART a** COMMENT
• Let’s bring on the Top 15 teams in the country in November and December so the Titans can start the season 15-0, and there is no way we should play those minor league teams like Wayne State or Ferris State – it’s a waste of our time.-DUMB a** COMMENT(THOUGHT I WOULD CHANGE IT UP HERE)
• The donor support for the UDM Athletic Program will be astounding with the success of the team. The Titans don’t know what to do with all the money coming in. -TITAN DONOR SUCCESS WILL ONLY CHANGE WHEN THEY REALIZE THE MISTAKE THEY MADE ON INCREASED DUES.
• That Titan Athletic Department and its leadership have to be the best in the country.- WHO SAYS THIS?

That’s just a few changes. But boy was I wrong with my posts over the past few years. I stand corrected. I don’t know what I was thinking.
titanmike
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:27 pm

udballer wrote:
uofdfan1983 wrote:Was BA the right choice? If you just base it on his first 2 years, the answer is NO. But we are not basing this decision on just 2 years, thank goodness. If he continues to fail for another year, then you can wrap it up and say goodbye and start over with a new head coach.

But I still know we needed a MAJOR OVERHAUL that included getting rid of lots of old issues. Did BA bring some "new" issues to the boat -- yes he did, and that was unnecessary and he has had a difficult time plugging those leaks, in fact they've gotten bigger, not smaller. Now he needs to remove some problems and recruit some talent and get his act in gear.

But there is still tremendous upside to this hire and for that potential outcome I am willing to give him one more year to figure it out, remove some problems on staff and in the locker room, and try it again in Year 3. For the 100th time: winning 17 games is not the goal. Getting to the NCAAs as a #15 seed is not the goal. If that's your goal, start rooting for OU or some other bottom feeder. We are the Titans and if you don't believe we'll rise again then why bother being a fan and caring?

I'm still confused on how "3" seems to be the magic number? Most posters on this board have continually repeated that they are in support of a 3rd year for BA and would not let him go after year 2. I'm not in that boat, because I can't understand the logic that puts you in that boat. 16-47 deserves a third year despite iffy recruiting classes (which he was supposed to excel at), a 7-game suspension, no semblance of defensive improvement, etc? I can't come to grips with saying a third year has been earned. If you are all playing financial analyst for the university, maybe I can understand it a bit better... but from a true fan perspective this experiment should be over.

I fully expect the Titans to win more than 8 games next year. Do you know why? The answer is simply because I expected them to win 20 this past season. The talent was there once Prince and Chatman came on board to do just that. Even if you'd have shown me a picture of an out-of-shape Jaleel two days before season and allowed me to amend that... I may have dropped to an expectation of 17 wins. He is severely underachieving. If he comes back with a Sr. McFolley, Sr. Blackshear, Jr. Allen and Sr. Chatman next year and wins 14 games, I have a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach that some of you will claim "improvement" when there probably wasn't any on the part of the staff. With 1 or 2 more light recruiting classes, we'll be talking about giving him a year 4 (without the luxury of Chatman, McFolley, Blackshear) and most likely see another dip in wins.

BA and staff do not deserve a third year. I'm comfortable saying that. I am, however, resigned to the fact that they will most likely be here next October. Based on what I've seen to date, without a major uptick in recruiting gains in the 2018 class or early signees for 2019... they absolutely should not be back for a 4th year... and I wouldn't change that statement if they won 19 games next season.

It isn't logic you have to understand , its facts.
titanmike
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:36 pm

I think that when Oakland was eliminated from the HL tournament they started thinking about next season and starting talking about their new tournament. OK, I can understand that. But I expect they will find that nearly everyone is watching the conference tournaments and then the Big Dance and will not remember that Oakland released the participants in a tourney eight months down the road. Personally, I would've waited until after the NCAA tournament to start talking about next year's schedule.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:42 pm

udballer wrote:
uofdfan1983 wrote:Was BA the right choice? If you just base it on his first 2 years, the answer is NO. But we are not basing this decision on just 2 years, thank goodness. If he continues to fail for another year, then you can wrap it up and say goodbye and start over with a new head coach.

But I still know we needed a MAJOR OVERHAUL that included getting rid of lots of old issues. Did BA bring some "new" issues to the boat -- yes he did, and that was unnecessary and he has had a difficult time plugging those leaks, in fact they've gotten bigger, not smaller. Now he needs to remove some problems and recruit some talent and get his act in gear.

But there is still tremendous upside to this hire and for that potential outcome I am willing to give him one more year to figure it out, remove some problems on staff and in the locker room, and try it again in Year 3. For the 100th time: winning 17 games is not the goal. Getting to the NCAAs as a #15 seed is not the goal. If that's your goal, start rooting for OU or some other bottom feeder. We are the Titans and if you don't believe we'll rise again then why bother being a fan and caring?

I'm still confused on how "3" seems to be the magic number? Most posters on this board have continually repeated that they are in support of a 3rd year for BA and would not let him go after year 2. I'm not in that boat, because I can't understand the logic that puts you in that boat. 16-47 deserves a third year despite iffy recruiting classes (which he was supposed to excel at), a 7-game suspension, no semblance of defensive improvement, etc? I can't come to grips with saying a third year has been earned. If you are all playing financial analyst for the university, maybe I can understand it a bit better... but from a true fan perspective this experiment should be over.

I fully expect the Titans to win more than 8 games next year. Do you know why? The answer is simply because I expected them to win 20 this past season. The talent was there once Prince and Chatman came on board to do just that. Even if you'd have shown me a picture of an out-of-shape Jaleel two days before season and allowed me to amend that... I may have dropped to an expectation of 17 wins. He is severely underachieving. If he comes back with a Sr. McFolley, Sr. Blackshear, Jr. Allen and Sr. Chatman next year and wins 14 games, I have a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach that some of you will claim "improvement" when there probably wasn't any on the part of the staff. With 1 or 2 more light recruiting classes, we'll be talking about giving him a year 4 (without the luxury of Chatman, McFolley, Blackshear) and most likely see another dip in wins.

BA and staff do not deserve a third year. I'm comfortable saying that. I am, however, resigned to the fact that they will most likely be here next October. Based on what I've seen to date, without a major uptick in recruiting gains in the 2018 class or early signees for 2019... they absolutely should not be back for a 4th year... and I wouldn't change that statement if they won 19 games next season.

Most likely BA will win 10 games next year, and claim that he now has the program going in the right direction. He will state that he had to build from the ground up, etc. Which is not true, he turned a .500 team into a .200 team. I fully expect BA to be the head basketball coach at UDM until the spring of 2020. No way the school eats any of his salary.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:22 pm

titanmike wrote:
It isn't logic you have to understand , its facts.

What facts? The contract and money owed? If that's the case, then people should be stating "Based on my desire to not cost Detroit Mercy $1M, I think BA should be granted a third year". Might as well pencil in a 4th as well if money is the only concern. That's not what's being said though... it seems some actually believe he should be due a 3rd year. That's crazy to me.

As I said, I'm resigned to the fact that I'll see him roaming the sidelines in front of a raucous crowd of 436 next season. If money were no object, I'd hope we'd all be in agreement that he be gone. I don't think we are in agreement... which is where the "logic" comes into play.
udballer
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:44 pm

Baller is right with his assessment. The simple facts are that the donors who matter (not the ones who are worried about a $100 increase in dues) would gladly pay to buy out BA's contract if they had confidence that a new AD would hire a coach who could develop a good team and program.

A strong D1 hoops program will pay for itself easily, and pay for the other athletic programs in the university. The problem is, UDM has a poorly managed Athletic Department and has a terrible mens basketball coaching staff, therefore the donors who matter have no interest in supporting this losing cause. Hence the "catch 22".

The Board and Garabaldi need to step up to the plate, get support from the donors who matter and then fire Vowles/BA and staff, then go about hiring a good AD and a great coach. The $900K buyout of BA is nothing when the donors who matter are convinced that positive change is in the works.

You could go to any strong private catholic D1 school in the country, and they would not hesitate to make this change. They know the importance of a strong Athletic Department and sports program for the school, and they know how to get their donors who matter to support their administration. If UDM can't find the donors who matter, and are willing to keep this declining program in perpetual decline, then the writing is on the wall as to the future of the UDM Athletic Programs and D1.
Titans96
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:49 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:
Most likely BA will win 10 games next year, and claim that he now has the program going in the right direction. He will state that he had to build from the ground up, etc. Which is not true, he turned a .500 team into a .200 team. I fully expect BA to be the head basketball coach at UDM until the spring of 2020. No way the school eats any of his salary.

I think you're spot on, RBJ. It hurts, but I think you nailed it.
udballer
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:56 pm

Titans96 wrote:A strong D1 hoops program will pay for itself easily, and pay for the other athletic programs in the university. The problem is, UDM has a poorly managed Athletic Department and has a terrible mens basketball coaching staff, therefore the donors who matter have no interest in supporting this losing cause. Hence the "catch 22".

I tend to agree. I'd think potential extra bodies in the seats would go a long way toward paying for the buyout. Unless everyone simply started hating basketball recently, our historically low attendance should only get better following a change. From what I witnessed, getting 1800 butts in the seats moving forward would generate at least $225K extra per season vs. the status quo.
udballer
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:07 pm

Titans96 wrote:The $900K buyout of BA is nothing when the donors who matter are convinced that positive change is in the works.

Start collecting the money, '96.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:16 pm

We could always play a large amount of "buy" games the next two years. If 5 or 6 buy games raised 400,000 each year, we could pay off most of the money owed to BA.
HSScout1
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:12 pm

FWIW, the cost of buying out BA is not BA's salary, it's what we would pay his replacement. In other words, let's say BA get $475K a year, or $950,000 over the next two years. We pay that whether he is replaced or not. That's already in the budget. If we hire John Calipari for $35 million a year, which is probably what it would take, we need to come up with $70 million for the next two years, not $950,000 to buy out BA. If we hire a young up & comer from a smaller school for $285,000 a year, the added cost is $570,000, not $950,000.

Personally, I think BA will be back, and I think cost is a part of that calculation, as it probably should be. But I suspect that cost is by no means the dominant factor. I think they'll make the change if they think it will benefit the program. While Bacari has been a disappointment on just about every front, and while I personally don't see much reason to expect improvement, changing coaches often guarantees even more chaos. Others may see reasons to believe that he can turn it around. I suspect they'll decide that giving him 1 more year to turn it around is worth doing.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:16 pm

Titans96 wrote:
The Board and Garabaldi need to step up to the plate, ... go about hiring a good AD and a great coach.

I picture Mr. Garibaldi perusing this board, reading such brilliant insight, and slapping his forehead: "Holy Mary, Mother of Jesus! A great coach! That's the ticket! Why didn't I think of that last time around?! Man, this big time athletics is tougher than I thought."
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:29 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:
TitanTarHeel wrote:
Tacitus651 wrote: When 96 does make valid points and backs people into corners in terms of debate, no one responds. Or, they just say he's a hater.

Show me an example of this.

I don't really see a big differing of opinions on this board nowadays. We ALL are extremely frustrated and negative. Are we debating just how ugly our baby is? Yeah, it sure seems like it. To suggest 96 is undefeated in his arguments on this board with people would mean you are reading a different board than I am. That forgets the point altogether of why he comes in guns blazing against anyone/everyone.

I have thought about reaching out to 96 to grab a beer with him to talk hoops. I bet he's much more pleasant in person than his board persona lets on. Or I'd like to think so.

Ok, one example that comes to mind is his argument on another thread about next year's team being less talented than this year's team. As of now, next year's team has a MAJOR gap in the front court. Hogan did at least play a good chunk of the season, and Prince was absolutely a presence near the rim. As noted, BA was thought to bring in bigs and coach them. Credit for bringing in Prince, but that was a one year bandaid. Who's next? Some people mention Long filling that gap. 96 made good points on that thread, and I'll acknowledge he brings it back to BA too much but I see his points. 96 is not my alter ego. I'm personally at a point now that I've accepted BA has at least one more year. I wish him well but, honestly, I'm worried we can't win 10 games even with the lightest schedule imaginable.

Is that really an example? It seems to me most everyone is worried about our talent level next year. Where '96 got pushback was his absurd argument that we are losing "4 key players." Umm... no. Even in the games he played (just over half) Hogan averaged under 16 minutes a game. That's a bench player. Isaiah played in fewer than half our games, averaging 8 minutes a game. That's a back end of the bench player.

The facts are that the Titans actually have a high percentage of minutes, points, rebounds, and assists returning--higher than the average team. Every team loses people, and in that respect every team has to "replace" minutes, points, rebounds etc. every year. Some teams get worse, some get better. I would be surprised if we don't find a juco who equals Jones's production. I feel pretty good that at least a couple Titans improve from this past season--for example, Blackshear returning to full time play would probably more than offset what we got from Hogan this year. A bit more improvement from Long--one of the Titans who really was improving--and Ballantyne, who was a freshman, would largely replace Prince.

Look, I don't see the Titans as being good next year. But let's at least make serious arguments and have decent discussions about it. And if we can't make intelligent arguments, let's at least not make every post about how Vowels sucks, and Bacari sucks, and JJ stole my girl in college and I still hate him for that, and some 18 year old kid deserves to be regularly berated and insulted because he's not as good a player as I think he should be.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:59 pm

Commissioner get over it. You keep trying to justify how you wanted JJSr and Vowels and BA and JJJr, and they all suck. So, you try to be funny and make up junk about how others are wrong. Just admit you were wrong for once.

If it is so obvious that we should have hired a good coach, why did we allow Vowels to force JJSr on Ray, then allow Vowels to hire BA, then allow Vowels to pay BA double what he should have paid him? Because UDM is clueless and being run by complete idiots.

We are the worst Jesuit program in the country and you have no answer for that other than to allow BA and Vowels to continue with this disaster. Seems intelligent to me???? Also, what is wrong with criticism for a kid who doesn’t realize he sucks at shooting and who refuses to pass the ball to teammates who are better shooting than he is? Also, he refuses to play any defense whatsoever. This kid is being coached by his daddy, and he doesn’t care about the team, he only cares about how many points he gets. What team in the country wants someone on their team with that attitude? Only BA/JJSr and their Titans. Hence, the Titans are one of the worst teams in the country for two years in a row. But hell, let’s keep BA/JJSr for more years because they may win 9 games instead of 8.

I am not going to put up with your bull any longer. I am going to call it the way I see it, and I don’t care what you think. You have been wrong on so many occasions the past two years, even you can’t count that high. I will gladly admit I was wrong if Vowels/BA turn this disaster around, but there is no chance that will ever happen. We hired the wrong coaches. We hired the wrong AD. It is time to fix the problems now. We can’t afford to wait any longer.
Titans96
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:52 am

Titans96 wrote:Commissioner get over it. You keep trying to justify how you wanted JJSr and Vowels and BA and JJJr,

What? I'm afraid, '96, you have no clue what you are talking about. I mean, at this point, you're just making stuff up, 'cause you don't know what else to say. I don't expect you to remember everything I post (the sheer volume would preclude that :lol: ), but don't just make it up.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:47 am

Detroiters admit when someone else is right. 96 is right most of the time. You guys are just upset because of the frequency of his posts and his choice of vocabulary.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:55 am

that gosh dang 96. he’s such a hater.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:31 am

Tacitus651 wrote:Detroiters admit when someone else is right. 96 is right most of the time. You guys are just upset because of the frequency of his posts and his choice of vocabulary.

No Tacitus, he's usually wrong. Indeed, a while back I printed several of his wrong predictions right when you were saying (as he often does about himself) how right he is. When he's right, it's typically on something obvious on which there is near unanimous consensus.

Here's a sort of thread involving '96:
EVERYONE ON THE BOARD: Gee, we're surprised JJJ is starting. He's really playing too many minutes. Those minutes should go to Corey and Josh. We can't really play all three at once, that lineup is just too small.
TITANS96: The Titans will never win as long as that ballhog JJJ is there with his scumbag daddy. We need a point guard who can get an assist--JJJ never gets any assists [editor's aside: he led the Titans in assists this year]. Until Vowels, BA, and JJ are fired, there is no hope for this program. This is a dumpster fire. We need to get a clue. Hire a good coach, like Cal-Northwood. I'm the only one who understands that Garibaldi should hire a good coach.
EVERYONE ELSE: Yeah, Corey and Josh should be getting those minutes. BA certainly has been a disappointment.
SOMEONE: Maybe BA should get one more year to turn it around.
SOMEONE ELSE: I think he's had long enough.
THIRD PERSON: I'd let BA go now. I'm just afraid the university can't afford it.
TITANS96: You people are idiots. When are you going to accept the FACT that JJJ shouldn't ever get a minute on the floor. Look at him. I hate the way he walks and smiles and eats peanut butter. BA must be fired NOW. And Vowels. Fact. I'm right. Why can't the rest of you see that JJJ is playing too many minutes and BA has been a failure?
TACITUS: Boy, Titans96 is the only one who seems to realize that JJJ is getting too many minutes and BA has been a failure so far. What insight!

I am upset, though, about the frequency of his posts (me, upset about frequent postings? there's an irony), but only because they are so relentlessly nasty, unfunny, uninsightful, and bitter--they take the fun out of reading/thinking/talking about the Titans. I am upset by his vocabularly because is it so relentelessly nasty, unfunny, uninsightful, and bitter--it takes the fun out of reading/thinking/talking about the Titans.

Maybe we could just set up a separate "Titans96" thread, where he can do all his posting. Then guys like me can just ignore that thread, and won't have to run into all his purile crap every time we want to come talk about and get others thoughts on the Titans.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:01 am

Like usual Commissioner, your fictional analysis and beliefs that you are all knowing are wrong. Seriously you might want to do better fact checking. Plus, your efforts to ridicule me (along with others) is clearly just you reaching to hide your inefficiencies. I know it’s hard for you to admit many of your predictions over the past few years have been wrong, but it’s ok. Let it out. Maybe you will feel better after doing so.
Titans96
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball