2018 Leaving the program...teaser.

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

2018 Leaving the program...teaser.

Postby titanmike » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:53 pm

Reggie Jones 6-6 Sophomore Guard at Western Michigan is leaving the program according to Verbal Commits.
titanmike
Senior

Re: Reggie Jones-Western Michigan

Postby udballer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:06 pm

titanmike wrote:Reggie Jones 6-6 Sophomore Guard at Western Michigan is leaving the program according to Verbal Commits.

My guess is that he's been watching Whitens in practice and saw the writing on the wall. ;)

Decent enough player, though checking out his stats he appears to be a high-volume shooter. He averaged nearly 9.5 shot attempts over 23 minutes per game. He would pick up for Kam nicely if the goal were to replace his 13.5 shots per game. His shooting percentages are much worse than Kam, though.

I say we pass... unless BA can't pull in enough recruits to fill our holes. I'd rather have this guy than a JUCO transfer, basically.
udballer
Senior

Re: 2018 Leaving the program...teaser.

Postby titanmike » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:11 pm

Oral Roberts G Jontray Harris (RS JR) is leaving the program. Grad transfer will be eligible immediately
titanmike
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:55 pm

Didn't Bacari tweet that he was focusing on the frontcourt?
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:16 pm

We have not been very lucky recently with recruits named Jones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFyr49TwuiI
ptctitan
Senior

Re: Reggie Jones-Western Michigan

Postby Commissioner » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:28 pm

udballer wrote:
titanmike wrote:Reggie Jones 6-6 Sophomore Guard at Western Michigan is leaving the program according to Verbal Commits.

My guess is that he's been watching Whitens in practice and saw the writing on the wall. ;)

Decent enough player, though checking out his stats he appears to be a high-volume shooter. He averaged nearly 9.5 shot attempts over 23 minutes per game. He would pick up for Kam nicely if the goal were to replace his 13.5 shots per game. His shooting percentages are much worse than Kam, though.

I say we pass... unless BA can't pull in enough recruits to fill our holes. I'd rather have this guy than a JUCO transfer, basically.

Why two years of Jones for 3 years of scholarship than a two year juco for 2 years of scholarship. I mean, obviously the big thing is talent--I'll take the one who can help us more. But normally, I think a two-year juco is a better deal than a two-year transfer. Plus, the transfer might well finish his degree in 4 years and then bolt as a grad transfer.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby udballer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:38 pm

There are pros and cons both ways, Commish... as you pointed out.

My personal opinion is based on two things:

1) Jones (or similar D1 transfers) has already proven himself at the D1 level. A JUCO is a bigger risk, in my opinion. Dre Black was a JUCO All-American and it was pretty much acknowledged by all of us that he was slow for D1 basketball.

2) The D1 transfer was able to qualify directly out of high school. If my JUCO transfer is an outstanding basketball player at this level, odds are that he is either an extremely late bloomer or I'll be worried about his grades moving forward.

Just my opinion. I wouldn't argue if you prefer JUCOs. Ray was fortunate with some and I loved watching the Doug Andersons and Nick Minneraths play for us.
udballer
Senior

Postby udballer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:41 pm

What I'd really like would be watching the staff convince Mario Whitley to abandon the Saginaw Valley idea. He is D1 talent, but currently committed to SVSU to be close to home. I think we're close enough to home.
udballer
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball