loyola

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

loyola

Postby titanmac » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:47 pm

nice to see them in the tournament and flourishing. so wise of them to wait untill they dominated the horizon before they stepped up to a competitive conference. otherwise who knows what their fate might have been....languishing in the cellar i suppose?
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior
 
Posts: 4656
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: loyola

Postby MooseGuy1 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:12 pm

Amen, titanmac.
MooseGuy1
Senior
 
Posts: 3620
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Re: loyola

Postby sacredheartgreg » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:42 am

You are so right, Mac. Sometimes you need to make a change to boost your fortunes. They were floundering in this POS Horizon league, now they are flourishing. I am so rooting for them!
sacredheartgreg
Senior
 
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 9:39 pm

Re: loyola

Postby dennycrane » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:51 am

Absolutely right, shg. Loyola is such a good story. They and the Bonnies and Buffalo are making this a great tournament to follow.
dennycrane
Senior
 
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:35 am

Re: loyola

Postby Commissioner » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:21 pm

sacredheartgreg wrote:You are so right, Mac. Sometimes you need to make a change to boost your fortunes. They were floundering in this POS Horizon league, now they are flourishing. I am so rooting for them!

Yes, but what else do we have to offer?
*An established fan base? With attendance of 1250? But Loyola also lacked that.
*The promise of significantly upgraded facilities? No. Loyola had that.
*Large Market? Not really. Detroit is only the 23rd largest city in the country now (it was #5 during the Vitale/Gaines era). Chicago is #3. Detroit is the 12th largest metro area. Chicago is 3rd.
*An attractive geographic location, e.g. Florida for winter trips?
*A tight geographic fit?
*Talent? In part because of its shrinking size, Detroit is no longer near the recruiting area it was even in the early 1990s, when we might have been able to join the budding Great Midwest with Marquette, Dayton, and St. Louis, had the University leadership had more vision.

Loyola had the ability to spend on facilities, marketing, and recruitment; a much larger market; a better market for recruiting; and a geographic area that the MVC wanted.

I"m generally with Mac. You don't have to dominate a conference first. But it certainly can help. And that's the issue. What do we bring to a new conference--especially one that would be a significant upgrade (meaning the MVC, A10 or Big East)? Why would they want us? Because Dave DeBusschere and Spencer Haywood played here? Perhaps the most likely thing we could do would be to dominate the Horizon. Dominating the OVC is the only reason people are talking Murray State for the MVC.

I think moving to a better conference should be a very high priority, starting immediately. Sadly, I really do fear that those days may have passed us by no matter what we do. The consolidation has already occurred. Almost all the top players now go to a P6 conference, vs. about 65% twenty years ago. But we need to try.

But honestly, put yourself in the position of an MVC or A10 president, athletic director, or head coach considering expansion: what does the University of Detroit bring to the table?
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior
 
Posts: 4648
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: loyola

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:30 pm

Pretty much a perfect summation by Commissioner. We don't have much to offer, and Loyola truly did. Not much more needs to be said.

I agree that moving to another conference is very unlikely. I also agree we should try. That includes winning, facilities, good leadership and presenting ourselves well. I think we are stuck in HL for at least another decade. I hate beating this dead horse, but I think being Detroit Mercy makes it 10 times harder to bring the program back. I don't have data to back it up, but I highly suspect MBB recruits would be more inclined to entertain offers from U of D than Detroit Mercy. I'm NOT suggesting we rebrand athletics as Detroit, because that inconsistency annoyed me more than anything. In short, Garibaldi fell short by not getting the trustees to go back, but did the right thing in trying to rebrand to match the school. It's taking time and it's been a disaster so far, but I hope it improves the next few years. One of my co-workers is a huge college hoops fan and he knows I love the Titans and he's always asking me about mid major teams because he thinks I have a decent pulse on them. Last week he goes to me "How did U of Detroit do in their tourney?" Part of me died inside because I've been calling us Detroit Mercy to him consistently but he still just thinks DETROIT. And he's from very SW Michigan. He's only 38. Sucks.

My opinion, the school would need to do at least some of the following to resurrect the program:
1. Rename the school University of Detroit (I realize this will not happen).
2. Up the endowment to at least 150m (Yes, we have a successful campaign now, but those dollars include expendable dollars and pledges. We desperately need to hit 150 or 200 banked to gain any respect. The only private school I know of doing well with a small endowment is St. Bonnie's, and they have a very small student body).
3. Reconfigure the lower bowl in Calihan (I know some people have said it can't legally be done because of current code. I don't know what to say. It looks plain awful on TV).
4. Win (I don't see that happening the next few years, but I am still clinging to some hope).
5. Vastly improve social media.
6. Drive up attendance (even with the poor play on the court, it's just not excusable).
7. Recruit winning athletes, especially true Bigs and true PGs.
8. Vastly improve area around campus and offer a better college experience (I think we are doing pretty good here, at least as well as we could expect, but still plenty to be done).

Probably another 10 essential things. Funny enough, Commissioner concludes his post by calling us University of Detroit. Not sure how intentional this is by the older posters, but I'm at a point where I'm frustrated with the failed rebrand and poor performance where I'm close to giving up. In other threads, I've suggested we might drop to D3 in a number of years. People get angry with me for that, but that's where I see us going by 2025 at this rate. I hope that doesn't happen, but if I had to place a bet, that's the bet I'd place. I'm proud of my school. I received a great education and made some life long friends. I'm not sure if D1 sports are a part of our perpetual future but I'll support the university regardless.
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 1907
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: loyola

Postby uofdfan1983 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:18 pm

Loyola was our slappy for many years. Absolutely no reason we can't do what Loyola is doing again.

I wish we were just U-D again but I don't get worked up about it because to me we still ARE U-D. Always will be til the day I die, at least. I tell people proudly that I went to U-D and they all know what I am talking about. No UDM, certainly no UD (which is Dayton). No Detroit Mercy. Around here, if you don't know who U-D is, you live in a cave. So we are U-D. Always will be. Simple.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:52 pm

Re: loyola

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:06 pm

Loyola beats Tennessee! By 1 point. They are going to the Sweet Sixteen.
MooseGuy1
Senior
 
Posts: 3620
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Re: loyola

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:07 pm

uofdfan1983 wrote:Loyola was our slappy for many years. Absolutely no reason we can't do what Loyola is doing again.

I wish we were just U-D again but I don't get worked up about it because to me we still ARE U-D. Always will be til the day I die, at least. I tell people proudly that I went to U-D and they all know what I am talking about. No UDM, certainly no UD (which is Dayton). No Detroit Mercy. Around here, if you don't know who U-D is, you live in a cave. So we are U-D. Always will be. Simple.


Always U-D. We can get to where Loyola is. Just need to make the bold moves.
MooseGuy1
Senior
 
Posts: 3620
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Re: loyola

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:09 pm

So great watching those hillbilly Tennessee fans cry.

Loyola's 98 year old chaplain nun is a Saint.
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 1907
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: loyola

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:10 pm

MooseGuy1 wrote:
uofdfan1983 wrote:Loyola was our slappy for many years. Absolutely no reason we can't do what Loyola is doing again.

I wish we were just U-D again but I don't get worked up about it because to me we still ARE U-D. Always will be til the day I die, at least. I tell people proudly that I went to U-D and they all know what I am talking about. No UDM, certainly no UD (which is Dayton). No Detroit Mercy. Around here, if you don't know who U-D is, you live in a cave. So we are U-D. Always will be. Simple.


Always U-D. We can get to where Loyola is. Just need to make the bold moves.


I just don't see it happening. The fact that half our fan base refuses to adopt the rebrand doesn't help.
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 1907
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: loyola

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:11 pm

Great game. But I'm not thrilled to see a 5 year old girl crying. Come to think of it, I wasn't thrilled to look in the mirror and see a 57 year old crying when our season crumbled.
MooseGuy1
Senior
 
Posts: 3620
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Re: loyola

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:14 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:
MooseGuy1 wrote:
uofdfan1983 wrote:Loyola was our slappy for many years. Absolutely no reason we can't do what Loyola is doing again.

I wish we were just U-D again but I don't get worked up about it because to me we still ARE U-D. Always will be til the day I die, at least. I tell people proudly that I went to U-D and they all know what I am talking about. No UDM, certainly no UD (which is Dayton). No Detroit Mercy. Around here, if you don't know who U-D is, you live in a cave. So we are U-D. Always will be. Simple.


Always U-D. We can get to where Loyola is. Just need to make the bold moves.


I just don't see it happening. The fact that half our fan base refuses to adopt the rebrand doesn't help.


I accepted it and even used the new moniker this year but I still think it was a misguided strategy. I was listening to the radio yesterday and a couple of local hosts were calling us U of D or Detroit. It just isn't catching on and may take a generation to do so. We may not have that kind of time to resurrect things.
MooseGuy1
Senior
 
Posts: 3620
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Re: loyola

Postby upbasketballfan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:16 pm

Our problem is we do not have a Sister Jean somehow we ended up with Mr. Bean.
upbasketballfan
Senior
 
Posts: 1428
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Re: loyola

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:17 pm

I can't believe I'm living and dying with the Ramblers now.
MooseGuy1
Senior
 
Posts: 3620
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Re: loyola

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:18 pm

:lol:
upbasketballfan wrote:Our problem is we do not have a Sister Jean somehow we ended up with Mr. Bean.


We do have the Pope check in every so often to tell us how low we've sunk.
MooseGuy1
Senior
 
Posts: 3620
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Re: loyola

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:20 pm

I think you're spot on with the TIME comment. I'm not making predictions, but what will the next UDM president and board of trustees say when they look at the books and see an athletic department hemorrhage money year after year? With no success in MBB to bring media attention to the school (and if we get media attention, it's often the wrong damn name!)? With no one showing up at games? I hope we turn it around. Lot of work to do.
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 1907
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: loyola

Postby uofdfan1983 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:21 pm

Tac, you don't live here so you don't hear about us in regular daily conversation like we do. Verbally, it's "U ah D" and everyone knows what that means around here. I really don't think a high school bball player in Detroit calls us "Mercy". When we start winning again, this won't be an issue. Go U-D. Whatever you want to call us is fine with me. Just win, baby. Just win.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:52 pm

Re: loyola

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:29 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I think you're spot on with the TIME comment. I'm not making predictions, but what will the next UDM president and board of trustees say when they look at the books and see an athletic department hemorrhage money year after year? With no success in MBB to bring media attention to the school (and if we get media attention, it's often the wrong damn name!)? With no one showing up at games? I hope we turn it around. Lot of work to do.


MBB is essentially a charity at this point and that is scary to those of us who would be sick if we dropped D-1 athletics. Whether one likes the rebranding or not (and most do not), we should all agree that it was handled horribly. Too many mixed up messages. It's been strictly amateurish in it's execution and along with 2 straight lost seasons and huge financial commitments to this staff, we are down a dark hole as a program. Very sad.

I'd still suggest that we go back to the University of Detroit. Tom's right; it's the only name any of us who live in the Detroit area ever knew. But if we won't, at least do the rebranding right.
MooseGuy1
Senior
 
Posts: 3620
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Re: loyola

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:34 pm

Tom, I also want us to win. But, certainly you understand that a good chunk of the fan base calling us by the outdated name is very problematic from a word of mouth/marketing standpoint. It's not positive, and when the older members of the fan base call us U ah D, it perpetuates it with the younger alumni and current students (example of this being the Chronicle of Higher Ed article that was linked on this board where the current student calls us U of D). I'm not asking you to change. I'm just saying we have a serious branding issue, and it's causing problems for us. I think most people on this board would adamantly agree with that.
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 1907
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Next

Return to Men's Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Big Chuck, cedar1973, NC Titan, TitanTarHeel and 13 guests