loyola

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: loyola

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:40 pm

FML. Loyola is a Valley school wearing sleek uniforms with A+ branding and heading to the Sweet Sixteen. And we're the cellar embarrassment of a HL filled with crappy publics, still talking about the failed rebrand. Just awful. And no reasonable sign of hope things will get better.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:44 pm

I will say that changing the athletic name worsened the problem. It doesn't change things around here (we're still U-D) but sometimes now we are referred to as Detroit Mercy by the press, on ESPN3 etc. since we have instructed the HL to tell its SIDs and announcers to refer to us this way. That's bad. If we had maintained just "Detroit" athletically it would have made more sense. Vowels didn't want it but it wasn't his call.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:54 pm

Yes, we are the bottomdwellers in a crappy league of nobody State Schools right now. But it's not like the MVC is something special. I'd love to move there but I'd love the A10 better and the Big East best. We'll get this figured out again. BA is going to make some changes and it'll either work, or it won't. If it does, we'll have someone the media loves in front of the camera every night. If it doesn't, we'll find someone better to be our next head coach. I'd rather be us than anyone else in our league because we have upside. We will become the next Loyola, the next Dayton, the next Marquette. Detroit is on the rise and so is our school. Right now the Basketball Teams are down but that will change. Everything is cyclical. There's no reason we can't win again, and we will get this figured out again in our lifetimes.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby Dick Vitale » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:48 pm

You guys are living in the past man - it's UDM and embrace the Mercy. There wouldn't be a U of D today unless Mercy came in and saved it. Believe what you want, live in the past if that makes you feel most comfortable - but those days are gone. The gem that was build and flourished for years was driven into the ground and needed help to survive. Its not the only story - look at DTW and the Catholic church - same challenges.

I agree with the Commish's comments. It is a sorry state we are in and we need to crawl out of our own hole as best we can with the limited resources available to us. Take a lesson from the city - it can be done.

Of course its nice when a guy named Ilitch or Gilbert are participating in the recovery - which we sadly appear to be missing.

Look to the Astro's strategy for one way to get back to a competitive level in the HL.

Hate me if you want, but that's the story. Ya baby! Go Ramblers! Go X.
Dick Vitale
Senior

Postby candf1980 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:42 pm

Where would Mercy College be now if they hadn't merged with U of D???
candf1980
Senior

Postby Dick Vitale » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:58 pm

No disagreement the merger was good on both ends. But the disdain of the U of D faithful and the total disrespect for Mercy is pathetic. This is how you treat other Catholics? See them as allies for the greater good. Men for others? You can enjoy the continued references to U of D - that's historical but the no Mercy comments are offensive.

You don't hear anyone here saying drop the U of D - just call them Mercy. It appears to be a bit one sided.

Can't wait for that Xavier Gonzaga match up that looks inevitable.
Dick Vitale
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:26 pm

Dick Vitale wrote:No disagreement the merger was good on both ends. But the disdain of the U of D faithful and the total disrespect for Mercy is pathetic. This is how you treat other Catholics? See them as allies for the greater good. Men for others? You can enjoy the continued references to U of D - that's historical but the no Mercy comments are offensive.

You don't hear anyone here saying drop the U of D - just call them Mercy. It appears to be a bit one sided.

Can't wait for that Xavier Gonzaga match up that looks inevitable.

With Loyola's win today, the old MCC is 4-0 in the tournament.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:31 am

I cannot explain why I had these thoughts/feelings, for some silly reason, I always thought Loyola would take us with them, whenever they decided to leave the second rate conference we currently reside in. They always seemed like the nice and loving cousin, who had more money, lived in a better neighbor hood, with a bigger house and great parents. It feels like Loyola went to Disneyworld and didn't take us. They did what was best for them, afterall self preservation is the first law of nature. I am happy for Loyola and jealous at the same time.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:12 pm

Loyola does have a medical school. We don't. That helps the endowment.

Also, the UD problem is a numbers game. We graduate maybe 500-600 new alum's per year which is much lower than 30-50 years ago. Kind of like the population trends inside the city limits of Detroit.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:47 pm

Rebranding is a crap shoot -- do you even remember:

Kraft to Kraft Foods
Coke to New Coke
Overstock to O.co
Radio Shack to The Shack

New is rarely better in branding unless you are trying to forget the past. That is just Marketing 101.

Whatever the school's name is, the Titans need to improve to have a future in DI basketball. Until we are able to walk over the DII schools on our schedule, there is nothing else that needs to be said. The team's performance will dictate their future. Being a good Titan fan is not tied to your opinion on the school's rebranding program.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:39 pm

Loyola is in the Sweet Sixteen and overrated Tom Izzo and the Spartans flamed out against Syracuse. Not that I love Syracuse but I'm still smiling. Go Ramblers!
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:41 pm

StJoeUofD wrote:Rebranding is a crap shoot -- do you even remember:

Kraft to Kraft Foods
Coke to New Coke
Overstock to O.co
Radio Shack to The Shack

New is rarely better in branding unless you are trying to forget the past. That is just Marketing 101.

Whatever the school's name is, the Titans need to improve to have a future in DI basketball. Until we are able to walk over the DII schools on our schedule, there is nothing else that needs to be said. The team's performance will dictate their future. Being a good Titan fan is not tied to your opinion on the school's rebranding program.

Good post, Joe. I'll always be a fan no matter what they name them.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:45 pm

Mariah Musselman interviews Sister Jean:

https://sportsnaut.com/2018/03/watch-ma ... hing-ever/
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:55 pm

Moose, you Ramblers are up at the half - you gotta be smiling.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby Dick Vitale » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:05 pm

Sr. Jean for president!
Dick Vitale
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:05 pm

Loyola-Chicago has now earned $6.56 million for the Missouri Valley Conference by playing at least four games in the NCAA Tournament. It will be paid out from 2019-2024.

That would cover 2 years of Titan hoops losses.
Titans96
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:28 pm

StJoeUofD wrote:Moose, you Ramblers are up at the half - you gotta be smiling.

They are now in the Elite 8 by defeating Nevada. Yeah, I'm smiling. Since they left our league, they've come a long way.

Michigan blew out Texas A&M, too. I think by 27 points. They really looked good.

Ordinarily, I'm no big fan of either team. But I love the underdog Ramblers and I love that Izzo has to be miserable seeing their rival moving on. Hey, with our meltdown, I'll take my victories where I can. ;)
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:49 pm

Dick Vitale wrote:Sr. Jean for president!

+1
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:07 pm

5 years ago Loyola was where we are today: dated facilities, low attendance with an aging fan base, little student interest, and a losing program. One thing I've been noticing are all the Loyola fans in the arena for each game, including lots of students and young fans.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:30 am

Loyola sold its hospital to Trinity Health for $100,000,000 in 2011. Even though the money didn't go directly to athletics, I am sure it was much easier to find some money to pay a conference entrance fee and make some upgrades. I know there is frequent talk of selling our law school property. Not that it is worth anything near $100M, perhaps its time to move to a less valuable spot while staying downtown, if that is not too short sited.
The $100 million will be deposited in an endowment fund to “benefit the school’s health sciences operations supporting medical education and research,” she said, declining further comment.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/ ... pital-sale
JimmyChitwood
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball