loyola

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: loyola

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:13 am

Yeah, it's hard enough getting law students as it is. Let's sell the historic beautiful building attached to a Jesuit church and move the law school into an old Coney Island restaurant.

VERY short sited, indeed.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:58 am

JimmyChitwood wrote:Loyola sold its hospital to Trinity Health for $100,000,000 in 2011. Even though the money didn't go directly to athletics, I am sure it was much easier to find some money to pay a conference entrance fee and make some upgrades. I know there is frequent talk of selling our law school property. Not that it is worth anything near $100M, perhaps its time to move to a less valuable spot while staying downtown, if that is not too short sited.
The $100 million will be deposited in an endowment fund to “benefit the school’s health sciences operations supporting medical education and research,” she said, declining further comment.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/ ... pital-sale

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uSudkID3zJM
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:13 am

Tacitus651 wrote:Yeah, it's hard enough getting law students as it is. Let's sell the historic beautiful building attached to a Jesuit church and move the law school into an old Coney Island restaurant.

VERY short sited, indeed.

Students aren't going their for the historic building. When I was there is was pretty on the outside but a dump inside, except the library, which is outdated now since nobody uses books anymore. I may have rather been at a coney island and killed two birds. The best thing about the location was it was easy to get to. That old fire station they bought kiddie corner would be a cool law school if it were big enough.

And if you are against selling the law school property, it must be a good idea to sell it. :P
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:25 am

I disagree, I think the physical presence of an institution matters. Also, when I was there in the mid 2000s, it was a total dump inside. In that building still sat the old orange fabric furniture you sat in. There were plenty of exposed pipes that were not meant to be exposed. Missing ceiling tiles everywhere that the law students joked about constantly. Yeah, it was a dump, but it was our dump. I think the upgrades since then have been impressive. I hate to think of a cheaper space that does not have something similar to the indoor atrium. The law school is a good space and if you're all so convinced that Detroit has better days ahead, it makes sense to hold on to the property.

Good job avoiding my point about the building being attached to a church. :P
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:03 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Good job avoiding my point about the building being attached to a church. :P
Avoiding? I didn't know I was required to respond to every word you typed. Attached? They used to be separate buildings. And what does a church next door have to do with it? Its an asset if we ever need cash or need to pay to get out of the HL, which would be well worth the price, whatever that is.

And good job avoiding my point about the fire house, two birds, and books.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:20 pm

Sell the historic law school building so we can pay to get out of the HL? Because we have the worst AD and worst MBB coaching staff, we should SELL our law school? Not even rational. I didn't respond to your fire house remark because I assumed it was a joke.

Look, legal education is tricky and I understand that running law schools isn't the cash cow it once was for universities. Regardless, selling the building would be a huge blunder. If it's not law, then run business school programs out if it and run a lab for students to create businesses in what is a city making progress finally. It's an iconic building in a great location. The church being next door (and I still maintain it's attached) is that we're a catholic institution and the proximity could help with things like faith formation for students and organizing service projects.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:52 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Sell the historic law school building so we can pay to get out of the HL? Because we have the worst AD and worst MBB coaching staff, we should SELL our law school? Not even rational. I didn't respond to your fire house remark because I assumed it was a joke.

Look, legal education is tricky and I understand that running law schools isn't the cash cow it once was for universities. Regardless, selling the building would be a huge blunder. If it's not law, then run business school programs out if it and run a lab for students to create businesses in what is a city making progress finally. It's an iconic building in a great location. The church being next door (and I still maintain it's attached) is that we're a catholic institution and the proximity could help with things like faith formation for students and organizing service projects.

I wont pretend to know enough about it, but I myself would consider the sale of the law school building if it generated enough revenue in the sale. The market is now to sell while the land is at a premium, if we wait for another chance we would be making a pittance.
titanmike
Senior

Postby jucofan1 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:01 pm

How great Loyola in the elite 8! They have been my favorite team to watch in this tournament. Shows you how quickly things can happen in college basketball. I don't write much anymore on this board except about past players when Ray was around. Lot of new guys who could be more optimistic that have appeared on the board. Nice seeing JimmyChitwood still around and of coarse titanmac. Enjoy the tournament guys!
jucofan1
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:15 pm

jucofan1 wrote:Lot of new guys who could be more optimistic that have appeared on the board.

I prefer the term "realists". There have been lots of realists that have appeared on the board. That sounds more accurate. Blind allegiance is a death wish. ;)
udballer
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:39 pm

jucofan1 wrote:How great Loyola in the elite 8! They have been my favorite team to watch in this tournament. Shows you how quickly things can happen in college basketball. I don't write much anymore on this board except about past players when Ray was around. Lot of new guys who could be more optimistic that have appeared on the board. Nice seeing JimmyChitwood still around and of coarse titanmac. Enjoy the tournament guys!

I undertand there was a sign at the game last night. It had the faces of Sister Jean and Jake and Elwood (from "The Blues Brothers") and the caption, "We're on a mission from God."
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:03 pm

udballer wrote:
jucofan1 wrote:Lot of new guys who could be more optimistic that have appeared on the board.

I prefer the term "realists". There have been lots of realists that have appeared on the board. That sounds more accurate. Blind allegiance is a death wish. ;)

Baller, there is a difference between "realists" and pathetic jerks who seem to celebrate every shortcoming and pepper every post with bitter vindictive. One can be fair and honest in analysis without it being "blind allegiance," and one can actually try to enjoy following the team without having a "death wish."

This group was pretty "realistic" before. Now it's got too many people that are just nasty and jerks. This is supposed to be fun, but the fun has left the board, due to a small handful of posters. And no, Baller, I am not including you in the group I criticize.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:03 pm

I'd only add that BA & friends have played a significant role in sucking fun out of the board. It's not just the result of a small group of posters.
udballer
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:29 pm

I assume I'm in the small handful of negative fun suckers. Like baller says, BA played a role. I said pretty much nothing but positive things about the program and school before Ray was fired. It's all there to see.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:14 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I assume I'm in the small handful of negative fun suckers.

Not to me. To me, you're a fun adder. Personally, I can only think of two people who fit the description.
udballer
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:48 pm

udballer wrote:
Tacitus651 wrote:I assume I'm in the small handful of negative fun suckers.

Not to me. To me, you're a fun adder. Personally, I can only think of two people who fit the description.

Is the second one udballer? :D
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:36 am

From the Chicago Sun-Times

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/loyolas-porter-moser-kansas-states-bruce-weber-have-had-time-to-get-it-right/

ATLANTA — The cracks at Illinois’ expense practically write themselves.

Here’s former Illini coach Bruce Weber, getting ready to coach Kansas State in an Elite Eight game against Loyola on Saturday night. And there’s Illinois — which fired Weber in 2012 — seemingly frozen in time as a postseason non-player, a former college basketball power turned barely recognizable relic.

It’s why pundits are falling over one another to write that Illinois never should’ve given up on the plugger of a coach with the piercing, tortured voice and the insurance salesman’s appearance. I was tempted to pile in with a few shots at Illinois myself.

But then the number hit me: seven years. After coaching a team of Bill Self-recruited players to the national title game in 2005, Weber got seven more seasons to show what he could do. His recruits underwhelmed and his records steadily declined, yet there he remained in front of the Illini bench for a length of time that many a rabid fan base would’ve considered unacceptable.

“Fire Bruce Weber” sentiment coursed through Champaign then and it has run amok at times in Manhattan, Kansas, where Weber’s six-season run has convinced many Wildcats fans that there just plain has to be someone more dynamic out there.

“It doesn’t bother me,” he said Friday. “Obviously, I’m human. I really try to stay away from social media, from papers. I used to listen to talk radio, and then I became a head coach and had to go to country music just to have something to listen to and not hear people talk about me.”

Seven years. You know who else was given one heck of a long leash? Loyola’s Porter Moser. In his first season, the Ramblers were 7-23 overall and 1-17 in the Horizon League. Two years later, they debuted in the Missouri Valley Conference with a 10th-place dud. A 24-13 spike in Moser’s fourth season was followed by a 15-17 plummet.

This was not the Moser who lately has been becoming a bigger rock star by the day. This was the Moser who’d already been fired — after four seasons — from his previous head job at another MVC school, Illinois State. The Redbirds had won big under Bob Donewald and Kevin Stallings. It might sound crazy, but Moser — judging strictly by his win-loss records — was one of the worst coaches ISU ever had.

Yet Loyola allowed him to build a program his own way. That means instilling a culture — an “accumulation of a bunch of habits,” Moser calls it — that is passed down from seniors to freshmen. That means “not bending” on academics, on character, on accountability. In Year 7, it happens to mean debuting in unforgettable fashion on the national stage.

“We’ve just kind of been building and getting our arrow going up,” he said. “And I think — I hope — we’re an example of, you know, it takes time. I get it. I’ve been there. Fans, administrations, they want it to fast and it’s tough.”

If some bigger schools out there are going to wave a bunch of money at Porter — and they should — they’d better understand that patience is going to have to be part of the deal. If that makes Porter more of a mid-major kind of guy, so be it and good for the Ramblers.

Frankly, Weber — who in 2002 took Southern Illinois to the Sweet 16 — might be more of a mid-major kind of guy, too.

“I’ve just tried to do it the right way, the way I feel it should be done,” he said. “I don’t like what’s going on in our business, to be honest.”

Back in the lobby of the team hotel after Thursday’s Sweet 16 upset of Kentucky, Weber was surrounded by players, their families and other Wildcats administrators, staffers and fans. He looked exhausted but happy as he posed for photos with moms, dads, brothers, sisters. And when he bellowed to his players at 1:05 a.m. that it was time to get their butts upstairs, everyone laughed.

It was a moment six years in the making. Again, for Moser it has been one year longer than that.

“He’s a good guy in the business,” Weber said. “And I’m happy he got a second chance.”

Should Illinois be kicking itself? Should Illinois State? Nah, probably not.

But the ninth-seeded Wildcats and 11th-seeded Ramblers will face off for a spot in the Final Four, and when they do it’ll be the highest seed total — 20 — for a regional final since the tournament first was seeded in 1979. Matter of fact, it will be the first 9-vs.-11 game in any round in tournament history.

For Weber and Moser, a moment as fine as that will undoubtedly have been worth the wait.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:15 am

Fascinating article, too bad the Titans and BA/JJSr lack any resemblance to these two teams and coaches.

Let's be real, the most important skill both these teams possess, which has allowed them to advance to the Elite 8, is a very strong defensive mentality and skillset. Both of these coaches recruit players and focus their team on defense first, and then offense. Too bad the Titans have coaches who can't coach, have no idea about running a strong defensive team, have no focus on defense and have not recruited any players who know how or desire to play defense.

Other than that, the Titans are just the same as Kansas State and Loyola, teams in D1 basketball.

Let's stop trying to sugar coat that BA and JJSr can turn this thing around. They can't. They lack any skill or ability to get a team to play at a level any better than a bottom 250 D1 team. Time to move on and fix the problem that exists at 6 Mile and Livernois.
Titans96
Senior

Postby DetroitRocket » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:14 am

Commissioner wrote:5 years ago Loyola was where we are today: dated facilities, low attendance with an aging fan base, little student interest, and a losing program. One thing I've been noticing are all the Loyola fans in the arena for each game, including lots of students and young fans.

Loyola averaged 2,405 at home games this season.
DetroitRocket
Junior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:30 pm

Loyola also passes the ball and plays defense.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:13 pm

Ramblers defeat K-State and are in the Final Four. If Michigan wins, Loyola and Michigan will play in the Final Four.
MooseGuy1
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball