Corey Allen Transferring

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Corey Allen Transferring

Postby titandave » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:53 pm

Often, when one door closes another one opens ..... are we still in the running to sign Bryce Washington (SG) from Southfield Christian ?
titandave
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:43 pm

titandave wrote:Often, when one door closes another one opens ..... are we still in the running to sign Bryce Washington (SG) from Southfield Christian ?

Technically, I believe we are. However, I've never heard a word that would lead me to think he will end up here.
udballer
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:49 pm

udballer wrote:I think the odds just went up that JJJ becomes the leading scorer in Titans history at the conclusion of his career.

I just fired an email to Scoonie Penn at Ohio State regarding the transfer announcement. Let's see if tOSU is as good at responding to people as Detroit Mercy has been over the years.

Has Penn responded to your email?
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:24 pm

udballer wrote:
titandave wrote:Often, when one door closes another one opens ..... are we still in the running to sign Bryce Washington (SG) from Southfield Christian ?

Technically, I believe we are. However, I've never heard a word that would lead me to think he will end up here.

Why? I hope we do not offer a scholarship to Washington. If we did i hope we retract. He is the third or fourth best player on his class D team and I've been told we do not recruit D players. If we were to recruit a D player then we should have went after Jake Witt from Trout Creek. He has good ball skills is 6'7' - 6'8' 250Lbs.+ and is built like he has been working in the woods since he was 9. I sent info on him to our coaching staff last year and this year and as usual no response.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:20 am

upbasketballfan wrote:
udballer wrote:

Why? I hope we do not offer a scholarship to Washington. If we did i hope we retract. He is the third or fourth best player on his class D team and I've been told we do not recruit D players. If we were to recruit a D player then we should have went after Jake Witt from Trout Creek. He has good ball skills is 6'7' - 6'8' 250Lbs.+ and is built like he has been working in the woods since he was 9. I sent info on him to our coaching staff last year and this year and as usual no response.

Curious, how do you know we don't recruit D Players currently? Who is out doing recruiting?
titanmike
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:25 pm

titanmike wrote:
upbasketballfan wrote:
udballer wrote:

Curious, how do you know we don't recruit D Players currently? Who is out doing recruiting?

I was hoping JJ was.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:29 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:
udballer wrote:I think the odds just went up that JJJ becomes the leading scorer in Titans history at the conclusion of his career.

I just fired an email to Scoonie Penn at Ohio State regarding the transfer announcement. Let's see if tOSU is as good at responding to people as Detroit Mercy has been over the years.

Has Penn responded to your email?

Nope. Apparently, Scoonie could slide right in to a role at Detroit Mercy. :D
udballer
Senior

Postby titandave » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:58 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:I was hoping JJ was.

I'm guessing JJ was instrumental in recent recruiting developments .... BJ Simmons (verbal commit) and Jesse Barnes (scholarship offer).
titandave
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:30 pm

These coaches really should not respond to your emails when you give them tips about recruits. The NCAA rules have become so strict. If you take the time to write a coach, he probably assumes you are a booster per NCAA rules. A booster is anyone that financially supports the school. It's against the rules for coaches to work with people outside the institution to recruit athletes, especially boosters. If a coach receives emails like this, he's probably concerned that you might also approach the potential recruit yourself (this could be at a HS game or even on social media).

I get that some people would like a simple "thank you" response, but if you're a coach the last thing you want is any paper trail suggesting you colluded with anyone regarding external recruiting.

Many here have criticized the school and athletic department for not responding to calls and emails. I doubt anyone would disagree it's something the university is pretty bad at. But, in the cases about recruiting tips, they're doing the right thing.
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:50 pm

titandave wrote:
upbasketballfan wrote:I was hoping JJ was.

I'm guessing JJ was instrumental in recent recruiting developments .... BJ Simmons (verbal commit) and Jesse Barnes (scholarship offer).

Maybe, but they came pre BA firing
titanmike
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:09 pm

Corey Allen is transferring to Georgia State.
HSScout1
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:13 pm

HSScout1 wrote:Corey Allen is transferring to Georgia State.

Too bad. If we had named a coach a couple of weeks ago, perhaps there might have been a chance for the new guy to make a connection and convince him to stay. I wish him well.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:50 pm

Well, good luck to Corey. He will now be with a coach that actually appreciates his talents. I look forward to seeing Corey and Ray in the NCAA tournament next year.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:37 pm

Good luck Corey I really enjoyed your game over the last couple of years. Thanks for the effort and wish you the best.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:15 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:
MooseGuy1 wrote:Sure can't say I didn't see this coming. And I don't for a second blame Corey. He was totally misused and disrespected by this staff once the friends and family plan was instituted. Best wishes to Corey and I hope he lands in a spot where his rather substantial skills are put to good use.

I'm sorry it happened but I would have advised him to get out.

Crap!

My sentiments exactly, the offense should've ran through Corey, I think he'll do well at Georgia State, or whatever school he chooses. Too much nepotism and cronyism in titan territory.

I hate to see Corey Allen depart titan territory, I am sure he's happy to go somewhere with some stability, and a place where he can get fair shake. Atlanta is a cool city too.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby ExcitedTitan » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:34 am

It sucks to lose such a good player. Good luck Corey!

The longer this drags on and the more players we lose the more its obvious BA was one big turd in the punch bowl. He took over a decent team and decimated it. He can make all the excuses he wants, but he was the head coach. The BA grenade will make it that much harder for the new guy/lady(?) to rebuild the program. I wish I could wipe the last 2 years from my memory.

Vowels did an awful job in hiring BA (the signs were there and here). He is doing an awful job by not having a coach in place already. He did an awful job in not saying one damn thing about the hiring process to us or the media, leading to crazy rumors started on a message board. In fact, has he ever said one damn thing about anything in his tenure? I know his job is to direct athletics, but the fans are a part of athletics. Who ever thought we would miss Keri and Brad this much?
ExcitedTitan
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:21 am

ExcitedTitan wrote:It sucks to lose such a good player. Good luck Corey!

The longer this drags on and the more players we lose the more its obvious BA was one big turd in the punch bowl. He took over a decent team and decimated it. He can make all the excuses he wants, but he was the head coach. The BA grenade will make it that much harder for the new guy/lady(?) to rebuild the program. I wish I could wipe the last 2 years from my memory.

Vowels did an awful job in hiring BA (the signs were there and here). He is doing an awful job by not having a coach in place already. He did an awful job in not saying one damn thing about the hiring process to us or the media, leading to crazy rumors started on a message board. In fact, has he ever said one damn thing about anything in his tenure? I know his job is to direct athletics, but the fans are a part of athletics. Who ever thought we would miss Keri and Brad this much?

The one thing we have to remember when this entire episode is in the rear view mirror is exactly what happened and the time frames. There is no question that we have the wrong person in our AD's seat. Hiring Vowels was a bad hire. We had two candidates who were more qualified. Who was responsible for the Vowels hire? Will they accept that Vowels was a bad hire? At this point in time a good hire will not be skill but luck. We have lost 2+ recruiting classes, not because of the coaches but due to another bad decision by the Administration in their lengthening list of bad decisions. How many here saw where we pulled off the daily double in golf and ended up last in men's and women's Horizon League Golf Championships. Some on here have advocated for Garibaldi because he is increasing the endowment but in comparison to other private institutions we are actually falling further behind. I am not sure if it was this board or the other but the Commissioner listed recent endowment figures and we were way way down the list. Wasn't it just two or three years ago that our women's team was the very best in the conference and nationally recognized? Garibaldi and Vowels might be absolutely great guys but they are the wrong people for their chairs. No matter what happens with this hire we can not forget how poorly the last two coaching changes have gone and must push forward to replace the real people responsible for our poor performance. I was not a fan of Keri and felt there were problems well before they became public and I never thought we would replace her with someone even more inept but we have. We all have to admit that Keri at least had passion, maybe more than was necessary.
Last edited by upbasketballfan on Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:29 am

^ +1,000,000,000

I think we just became best friends.
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby udballer » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:53 am

upbasketballfan wrote: How many here saw where we pulled off the daily double in golf and ended up last in men's and women's Horizon League Golf Championships. Wasn't it just two or three years ago that our women's team was the very best in the conference and nationally recognized. Garibaldi and Vowels might be absolutely great guys but they are the wrong people for their chairs.

I was paying attention to the Horizon League Golf Championships and, yes, it was an embarrassing performance by the Titans. The Women's coach has been in place for 13 years now... so I'm not sure what's up with the slide there. However, on the Men's Golf side, the administration hurt the program quite a bit when they fired Mark Engel 4+ years ago. I didn't get along with Coach Engel personally, but he knew how to recruit golfers (especially from Canada) to the university and field a competitive golf team. Unfortunately, I'm told he was let go for superficial reasons. In retrospect, he was easily one of the best coaches at our school and firing him was probably the first big mistake that was made.
udballer
Senior

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball