Bacari fired

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Bacari fired

Postby HSScout1 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:54 pm

He's out per Jon Rothstein

Detroit has parted ways with Bacari Alexander, per multiple sources.
HSScout1
Senior

Re: Bacari fired

Postby HSScout1 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:59 pm

The speculation has already begun as to who will replace him. I hope it isn't JJ.
HSScout1
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:00 pm

I had heard of a team meeting, so this likely would of been why.
titanmike
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:02 pm

HSScout1 wrote:The speculation has already begun as to who will replace him. I hope it isn't JJ.

I hope it is JJ. It should have been JJ right from the start.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:07 pm

He has removed his UDM coaching affiliation from his Twitter account.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:08 pm

Here's the Rothstein tweet https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status ... 3740823552

Tony Paul was asked about it and he only replied with 'Chasing'.

Interesting potential developments down at Liv6...
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby bctitans1987 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:16 pm

JJ will be the new coach. He's Vowels' boy. Get ready for two more years of mediocrity and bad publicity. I also see no one graduating and NCAA rules broken. The guy couldn't even stay out of trouble at Mt. Clemens. #draintheUDMswamp
bctitans1987
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:16 pm

This is great news!!!! Now we have to hope that the entire Men's Coaching Staff and Vowels get the boot too.

Time to rebuild the entire Athletic Department. Time to get a great coaching staff into 6 & Livernois who can turn this Titan Basketball Program around.
Titans96
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:27 pm

bctitans1987 wrote:JJ will be the new coach. He's Vowels' boy. Get ready for two more years of mediocrity and bad publicity. I also see no one graduating and NCAA rules broken. The guy couldn't even stay out of trouble at Mt. Clemens. #draintheUDMswamp

The news that Bacari is probably gone is less than an hour old, and already we're complaining about the next (speculative) coach,

I'll play. Willie McCarter would suck too.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:28 pm

Good News? I wont go as far as to say its good news. If anything it is sad news. Say what you want about Bacari, but at the very least he brought passion into his job and cared immensely about Detroit and the rebuild of the city and program. It appears that it hasn't worked out.
titanmike
Senior

Postby kirky313 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:30 pm

Ill second the sad new part, But it wasn't working out.
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior

Postby TitanONeill » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:39 pm

This is sad news. Hes already changed his Twitter. He was a good person, but faced a lot of challenges. Time to move on. As for who I would like to see...a young successful assistant from Villanova or Gonzaga. Would also like to see some local psl coaches on bench. Or even someone like Clarkson's Fife. Go Titans.
TitanONeill
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:58 pm

titanmike wrote:I had heard of a team meeting, so this likely would of been why.

My problem with this is if we were going to let him go it should have been done two days after the season. The new guy should have been on the road recruiting. I hope the job is filled and I really do hope it's JJ. I'm thinking the C. Allen tweet had a lot to do with this. I didn't want him to go but the tail can't wag the dog either.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:04 pm

Always sad when things don't work out. I was hoping that he would have one more year. If BA were actually fired, then why did it take so long? Very late in the recruiting process to make this change when the season ended almost 4 weeks ago. Were they waiting for Nevada to be eliminated so Ackerman could be hired? :roll: ;) Was BA really fired or did he quit?

The university needs to issue a PR immediately now that the news is out there.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:07 pm

I'm sorry it didn't work out with BA, after all he is a fellow alum and like some said he had a passion for the city and our school. However, the way events had unfolded during his tenure it is not a surprise. My best to BA and his family.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:19 pm

titanmike wrote:Good News? I wont go as far as to say its good news. If anything it is sad news. Say what you want about Bacari, but at the very least he brought passion into his job and cared immensely about Detroit and the rebuild of the city and program. It appears that it hasn't worked out.

I'll second this. It's also worth remembering that lots of people calling for BA's head were calling for Ray's head before that, and many also wanted BA as coach.

BA was generally considered a good hire. Here is what people were writing in and before 2016:

Here's a glowing early piece on his work with Michigan's bigs, from Michigan Daily: https://www.michigandaily.com/sports/ba ... cher-paint

John Beilein in the News in spring 2016 (re Jordan and Alexander, before either was hired as a HC): ""I think it's long overdue. They are really ready to be coaches." https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... /82713060/. And Beilein in USA Today after BA was hired: ""Bacari is such a perfect fit for Detroit. He is an extremely talented basketball coach and is 100 percent ready to lead the Detroit basketball program now and into the future,"

Bleacher Report ranks him 4th best assistant coach in nation 18 months before hired at Detroit, http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2218 ... in-2014-15

SI speculates on BA as a successor to Beilein: https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2 ... n-michigan

Athlon featured BA in article titled "Top 10 Most important New Coaches in College Basketball for 2016-17 https://athlonsports.com/college-basket ... ll-2016-17

CBS Sports noted "Alexander brings some excitement to the Detroit program after six seasons on John Beilein's staff at Michigan."

It's sad that Bacari's tenure at Detroit has gone so poorly. Let's not let our sense that a change was badly needed lead us to denigrate BA or gloat over his termination. He loves the Titans, and probably loves them still.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby udballer » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:24 pm

The worst thing that could happen would be to promote JJ, in my opinion. Other than that, I'm absolutely interested to find out who will be interviewed... and when.

Also, based on the next steps that are made... it will be interesting to see what happens with the current recruits for 2018 and with Corey and with JJJ and with Kam and on and on and on.
udballer
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:26 pm

udballer wrote:The worst thing that could happen would be to promote JJ, in my opinion. Other than that, I'm absolutely interested to find out who will be interviewed... and when.

Also, based on the next steps that are made... it will be interesting to see what happens with the current recruits for 2018 and with Corey and with JJJ and with Kam and on and on and on.

It would be wonderful if we could move quickly and the new coach could convince Corey to stay. But getting it right is the key consideration.

Titans96 will be really bummed if it's not JJ, because he won't have anything to obsess and stew about.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:31 pm

Tony Paul reporting that JJ is interim HC. So any hope you guys had of an immediate draining of the swamp is gone.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:33 pm

Actually, Tony Paul tweeted that Jermaine Jackson Jr. Is the interim head coach.

Congrats to the young man. Going to be tough to juggle finals and cover ground as interim head coach, but I know he's up for the challenge.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball