Bacari fired

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Bacari fired

Postby JDetroitTitan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:14 pm

StJoeUofD wrote:This move only takes care of the outer surface of the problem. The cancer is still in charge of the program. Until the University is ready to get rid of the actual problem, Vowels, there is no righting of this ship. Only a desperate coach would take a HC job under an AD that isn't adroit enough to know that he is destroying a program when he doesn't let his leaders lead and doesn't make his followers follow. We are no better off today than we were yesterday and this problem will not be resolved until Vowels is not in charge. No vendetta, just experience and a quality Jesuit business education speaking.

The program is just a glorified AAU team being run by two overly involved Fathers. They can't have a team vision because they only see their own children and want to live surreptitiously through their children's potential future careers. This team and program is doomed until we only have coaches coaching, players playing and parents cheering. Mixing the roles is a recipe for disaster and we have tasted this for long enough. Neither of these boys is Danny Manning. Putting their Fathers on the bench is not adding to the program, only destroying the motivation of the other players. Wipe the slate clean or continue to eat from the platter of nepotism.

I have been a die hard Titan fan for 52 years. God willing, I will be one for 70. I don't care who the coach is and I don't care who the players are. All I can promise is that when we next go to the NCAA tournament, my bracket will have the Titans winning it all!


Amen. I do not have a business degree but I see the same thing you see every time I entered the gym this year. I don’t know how many more times I can go to watch this show.
JDetroitTitan
Senior
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:36 am

Re: Bacari fired

Postby cedar1973 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:54 pm

Great that BA is gone.
Next question is when is Vowels turn to go?
cedar1973
Senior
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:13 am

Re: Bacari fired

Postby The-Dude » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:57 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:Detroit Free Press story on BA’s firing (puts quite a bit of emphasis on the SMD incident):

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/coll ... 459436002/


Here is the AD exit interview with BA:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=efZQhYu1E5s
The-Dude
Senior
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:27 am

Re: Bacari fired

Postby ptctitan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:48 am

Of course, Perry Farrell and Tony Paul are going to write anti-Titans and pro-Oakland spin and present the issue in the most negative way. Farrell teaches or taught a class there? And Paul put in his pro-Kampe dig in his article that I posted above.
ptctitan
Senior
 
Posts: 1454
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 am

Re: Bacari fired

Postby Titans96 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:23 am

ptctitan wrote:Of course, Perry Farrell and Tony Paul are going to write anti-Titans and pro-Oakland spin and present the issue in the most negative way. Farrell teaches or taught a class there? And Paul put in his pro-Kampe dig in his article that I posted above.


Just wait until the reporters dig into the details of this fiasco. They will find that the Titan Program is a complete and utter disaster. They will find out how the Vowels/JJSr relationship is tearing the program apart. They will find out what really went down and how this entire program was brought down from within. They will find out how there isn't a prospective coach in the country (college or high school) who would take this job with the requirement that JJSr be on their staff. Until Vowels/JJSr are gone for good, this program will be a complete disaster. With JJSr running the show, there is absolutely zero chance this program improves, as a matter of fact the 351 RPI will be in our future. Recruits will run away from this program so fast your heads will spin and their high school coaches will advise them of the problems they will encounter if they go to a JJSr run program. All of you JJSr fans, please be very careful what you wish for because these next few weeks are do or die time for the Titan program. DRAIN THE SWAMP - NOW!!!!
Titans96
Senior
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:20 am

Re: Bacari fired

Postby bctitans1987 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:31 pm

JJ WILL BE THE NEXT COACH. Book it. Vowels is smitten with him and has no clue how to run an athletic program--or anything else for that matter. Until JJ is gone, this program is doomed to failure. If you think this year was bad, when JJ is the coach next year, it will be the worst ever. Who would ever send their kid to play for JJ? No one with any sense. That is for damn sure.

The fact that Vowels sent out a two paragraph PR speaks volumes about his lack of leadership. What a complete clown-show. A real leader would have called a press conference and faced the media. He is a complete loser and so is Garibaldi. Shame on both of them for showing they have no respect for the former coach, players, alumni, students and parents!
bctitans1987
Senior
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:55 pm

Re: Bacari fired

Postby Commissioner » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:41 pm

bctitans1987 wrote:JJ WILL BE THE NEXT COACH. Book it. Vowels is smitten with him and has no clue how to run an athletic program--or anything else for that matter. Until JJ is gone, this program is doomed to failure. If you think this year was bad, when JJ is the coach next year, it will be the worst ever. Who would ever send their kid to play for JJ? No one with any sense. That is for damn sure.

The fact that Vowels sent out a two paragraph PR speaks volumes about his lack of leadership. What a complete clown-show. A real leader would have called a press conference and faced the media. He is a complete loser and so is Garibaldi. Shame on both of them for showing they have no respect for the former coach, players, alumni, students and parents!

Yes, but what we want to know is: how do you feel about JJJ?
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior
 
Posts: 4791
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: Bacari fired

Postby upbasketballfan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:11 pm

bctitans1987 wrote:JJ WILL BE THE NEXT COACH. Book it.


I think this is the first time I hope you are right about something on this board.
upbasketballfan
Senior
 
Posts: 1617
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Re: Bacari fired

Postby bctitans1987 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:45 pm

Up - If he is hired, the program will be gone in a year. Just shut it down because you will be the only one in the stands. The guys has no pedigree and couldn't keep his gig as a HS coach. You must be as clueless as Vowels. Or, maybe you are Vowels???
bctitans1987
Senior
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:55 pm

Re: Bacari fired

Postby upbasketballfan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:03 pm

bctitans1987 wrote:Up - If he is hired, the program will be gone in a year. Just shut it down because you will be the only one in the stands. The guys has no pedigree and couldn't keep his gig as a HS coach. You must be as clueless as Vowels. Or, maybe you are Vowels???


Pedigree? When I do drive over 500 miles to get to a game which this year happened 9 times. I feel like I am the only one in the stands. Those of you that are there really are good at sitting on your hands and second guessing the coaches need to step it up a little. If you have been paying attention you would have noticed the program is already gone. As far as JJ being hired, he already is hired and is the only reason a lot of the players stuck around on the last flip and is the reason they will still be there this season. You need to get down to a few games and take an unbiased look at what has already happened.
upbasketballfan
Senior
 
Posts: 1617
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Re: Bacari fired

Postby bctitans1987 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:25 pm

I was a season ticket holder and Titan Club member since 1987. I gave up last year after the damn clown show. I have given $$$--probably more than most on this Board. I know mediocrity when I see it. Vowels is the problem and he has not done one damn thing to move the program forward. Broom the entire staff and some of the other coaches as well...They have contributed to the problem.
bctitans1987
Senior
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:55 pm

Re: Bacari fired

Postby upbasketballfan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:42 pm

bctitans1987 wrote:I was a season ticket holder and Titan Club member since 1987. I gave up last year after the damn clown show. I have given $$$--probably more than most on this Board. I know mediocrity when I see it. Vowels is the problem and he has not one damn thing to move the program forward. Broom the entire staff and some of the other coaches as well...They have contributed to the problem.


I'm sure you have! You must be one of the fair weather fans I have addressed in previous posts. I have been a season ticket holder at your Alma Mater since 1969 and I am also a Titan Club member at your Alma Mater. I think we should all heed the advice of a self proclaimed quitter. So they should broom everybody with the minute hope that maybe you'll come back and grace us with your insignificant presence. For some reason I'm thinking that would be a really bad idea.
upbasketballfan
Senior
 
Posts: 1617
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Re: Bacari fired

Postby ptctitan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:10 pm

I agree with upbasketballfan's assessment of the situation on the team. If we blow up the team, then don't expect a winning record until the next decade. If that is acceptable to you, then do not complain next year when we again go 8-23 - or worse.

There are consequences, intended and unintended, to whichever decision Vowels makes. What makes anyone here think that the school will make any better a hire this time around than it did with Bacari if Vowels chooses to clean house completely? So, we won't have JJ, Bacari and the rest. We could just as easily hire a new, unknown troupe of clowns. On the other hand, if JJ finally gets the HC position, the same faction will still complain.

I'm not saying that we should not consider candidates from the outside and hire one if he is clearly better than the others. But the logic of the anti-JJ and Vowels critics suggests that Vowels will make the wrong hiring decision either way. The answer of these critics is to fire Vowels, too. That delays the entire process another month while a search committee hires a new AD. Then, the new AD has to run a coaching search in mid to late May for hiring a new coach starting in June.

So, either we lay waste to the entire program because some don't like JJ or we give JJ a Walter Alston one-year deal like Maryland-Eastern Shore just did with its assistant. The former guarantees bad records for more years than the complainers were willing to accept from Bacari. The latter splits the last few fans into factions, but does permit the school to arrange an orderly transition at AD if that is what really is needed. Neither option is a very good one.
ptctitan
Senior
 
Posts: 1454
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 am

Re: Bacari fired

Postby uofdmik2008 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:18 pm

ptctitan wrote:I agree with upbasketballfan's assessment of the situation on the team. If we blow up the team, then don't expect a winning record until the next decade. If that is acceptable to you, then do not complain next year when we again go 8-23 - or worse.

There are consequences, intended and unintended, to whichever decision Vowels makes. What makes anyone here think that the school will make any better a hire this time around than it did with Bacari if Vowels chooses to clean house completely? So, we won't have JJ, Bacari and the rest. We could just as easily hire a new, unknown troupe of clowns. On the other hand, if JJ finally gets the HC position, the same faction will still complain.

I'm not saying that we should not consider candidates from the outside and hire one if he is clearly better than the others. But the logic of the anti-JJ and Vowels critics suggests that Vowels will make the wrong hiring decision either way. The answer of these critics is to fire Vowels, too. That delays the entire process another month while a search committee hires a new AD. Then, the new AD has to run a coaching search in mid to late May for hiring a new coach starting in June.

So, either we lay waste to the entire program because some don't like JJ or we give JJ a Walter Alston one-year deal like Maryland-Eastern Shore just did with its assistant. The former guarantees bad records for more years than the complainers were willing to accept from Bacari. The latter splits the last few fans into factions, but does permit the school to arrange an orderly transition at AD if that is what really is needed. Neither option is a very good one.


No matter what you do someone will be unhappy, if Vowels first time around hired JJ over Bacari, people would have been upset, if he hired someone from the outside people would be upset because he did not give either of the great players from PW era a shot. I bet even if Bacari was at .500 some people would be upset, if he won the Horizon but lost in first round of NCAA someone would be upset, heck if he lost in the semi-finals in the NCAA Tournament someone would be upset and call for his head. Cannot make everybody happy, the new coach though does need to be someone that can rally majority of the troops and inspire hope for a little while and at least beat Wayne State if we have another game with them, we might have to have very low expectations regardless of who is coach and celebrate small victories. Maybe like comish suggested before have a softer schedule this year to rattle off some wins in the non-con for the program and new coach.
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior
 
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:51 pm

Re: Bacari fired

Postby Titans96 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:29 pm

This is completely amazing to me and should put fear into my fellow alumni for the future of our Titans. Both Mik and PTC are suggesting that the Titans should continue to be incompetent, idiotic and stay the course as the worst team in the Horizon League and one of the worst teams in D1. How does hiring JJSr, even for 1 year, help the Titans? He is one of the main reasons we are in such a terrible place now. He is a god awful coach, he has no idea how to run a quality program, no one wants to work with him or for him, so he will only get the worst assistant coaches possible and there isn't a quality player anywhere who would want to play for him. He might have been a good player, but his lack of coaching ability and terrible recruiting skills have put the Titans where they are today - the worst team in Titan history and one of the worst teams in D1.

Add to the stupidity of keeping JJSr, Mik and PTC think that Vowels is the right person to lead the program into the future. What planet are you two on? Vowels has not accomplished one of his goals that he set for himself when he started here, and his Athletic Program has become one of the worst in the NCAA (D1-D2-D3).

UDM needs a new AD and Men's Basketball Head Coach immediately. Our school is at a major point in its history, and we cannot allow stupidity to reign. It is time for Garabaldi and the Board to step in now and DRAIN THE SWAMP! If the current regime is kept in place, the entire University may never recover from the tsunami of incompetence that is currently running the basketball program and athletic department.
Titans96
Senior
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:20 am

Re: Bacari fired

Postby ptctitan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:20 pm

T96 - no. I did not say that Vowels should be retained or that JJ was the better choice as HC. I said there are no good choices because your recommendation to fire everyone now including Vowels has intended and unintended consequences. If the school should replace the AD, then it should occur earlier in the year so that the new AD can hire a new coach earlier before the start of the Spring signing period. I am just pointing out that your proposal has disadvantages or costs as well as the potential for your desired advantage. As long as you acknowledge the potential disadvantages and don't run away from them in future discussions here, I do not have a problem with considering your plan now that Bacari has been fired. But there is also no guarantee that the school would hire a better AD; and, there is no guarantee the new AD would make a better choice for HC. I say this given the school's history all the way back to the fiasco replacing Bob Calihan.

In summary, firing Vowels does not guarantee a better replacement as AD. A new AD does not guarantee a significantly better HC. Your plan's success depends entirely upon the school successfully implementing it. One misstep along the way and it cascades badly. Well, I've seen this same school botch a lot of hiring decisions in the past 50 years. So, I have to weigh your theoretical plan against past history. Call me not confident that your theory will be implemented well.
ptctitan
Senior
 
Posts: 1454
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 am

Re: Bacari fired

Postby uofdmik2008 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:33 pm

Titans96 wrote:This is completely amazing to me and should put fear into my fellow alumni for the future of our Titans. Both Mik and PTC are suggesting that the Titans should continue to be incompetent, idiotic and stay the course as the worst team in the Horizon League and one of the worst teams in D1. How does hiring JJSr, even for 1 year, help the Titans? He is one of the main reasons we are in such a terrible place now. He is a god awful coach, he has no idea how to run a quality program, no one wants to work with him or for him, so he will only get the worst assistant coaches possible and there isn't a quality player anywhere who would want to play for him. He might have been a good player, but his lack of coaching ability and terrible recruiting skills have put the Titans where they are today - the worst team in Titan history and one of the worst teams in D1.

Add to the stupidity of keeping JJSr, Mik and PTC think that Vowels is the right person to lead the program into the future. What planet are you two on? Vowels has not accomplished one of his goals that he set for himself when he started here, and his Athletic Program has become one of the worst in the NCAA (D1-D2-D3).

UDM needs a new AD and Men's Basketball Head Coach immediately. Our school is at a major point in its history, and we cannot allow stupidity to reign. It is time for Garabaldi and the Board to step in now and DRAIN THE SWAMP! If the current regime is kept in place, the entire University may never recover from the tsunami of incompetence that is currently running the basketball program and athletic department.


What planet are you on? I said I would like Andy Bronkema or someone from the outside. What Titan alumni should be afraid is that you earned a degree from the same institution as the Titan alumni, considering the fact that your reading comprehension is non-existent, you just dragged me into an argument and put words in my mouth I never said. I never endorsed JJSR, BA or Vowels I was making a point about cant make everyone happy, you make my point crystal clear, some people will just make S*** up to be upset about. Please for the love of God learn how to read, did I mention keeping or firing Vowels? Did I mention keeping Bacari or JJsr, learn how to read before you comment with your mindless drivel, same drivel you usually comment. Might as well copy and paste the same garbage over and over! I for one would rather go outside of the Titan family, someone like Andy Bronkema and I mentioned that in previous post. Your mention of idiotic and incompetent makes your post that much more ironic.
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior
 
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:51 pm

Re: Bacari fired

Postby titanmac » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:51 am

if i were mike i’d throw 96 off the board. maybe a couple of others too....
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior
 
Posts: 4753
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: Bacari fired

Postby The-Dude » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:28 am

titanmac wrote:if i were mike i’d throw 96 off the board. maybe a couple of others too....


I totally agree. I’m nominating @MrAgenda @MrDisrespectful to be thrown off the board, immediately. Love and peace will reign again...
The-Dude
Senior
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:27 am

Re: Bacari fired

Postby uofdmik2008 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:59 am

The-Dude wrote:
titanmac wrote:if i were mike i’d throw 96 off the board. maybe a couple of others too....


I totally agree. I’m nominating @MrAgenda @MrDisrespectful to be thrown off the board, immediately. Love and peace will reign again...


Waking up this morning, based on my response to the Troll post of 96, I should be kicked off too Mike, but I will make it easier for you.... I will publish one more thread, don't want to continue this one off topic and then I am logging off for good.
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior
 
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:51 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests

cron