Our Next Coach Should Be Ray McCallum

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Our Next Coach Should Be Ray McCallum

Postby MooseGuy1 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:54 pm

I've been giving this some thought and I believe our new coach should be Ray. Ray Michael McCallum. If we can lure him back from overseas, he would be a great choice:

1. He's a Titan. That should satisfy those of us who want someone who understands the culture of the Titans.

2. He's a coach's son. Almost from birth, he witnessed firsthand what it takes to grow a program and have success on the court. Often times, sons of coaches make good coaches, too. His lifetime of experience enables him to know what to do to achieve success and, as importantly, what not to do.

3. He has NBA experience, along with a sterling high school and college resume.

4. Even as a freshman (and certainly in the following 2 years) he was the floor general in his time with the Titans. Point guards have to see the big picture and, like baseball catchers, transition easier into coaching.

5. He is still young and would be able to relate to today's players.

6. He would be a good spokeman for the team. I've talked a little with Ray in the past and he handles himself very well. A bright young man with a precocious ability to conduct himself in an engaging and well-spoken manner (no SMDs, I'm guessing).

7. Fan interest would go up significantly, especially among the youthful demographic we need to attract.

8. We might just be hiring the next great young coach in college basketball. Sure, it's bold but, for once, we'd be on the cutting edge instead of playing catch up.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Re: Our Next Coach Should Be Ray McCallum

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:01 pm

Did Ray ever rack up credits and graduate? I'm pretty sure he did.
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Big Chuck » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:53 pm

Ray would be a 180 degree turn around. Sons bringing father rather than fathers bring sons when he hires Sr.
Big Chuck
Senior

Postby udballer » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:15 pm

MooseGuy1 wrote:I've been giving this some thought and I believe our new coach should be Ray. Ray Michael McCallum. If we can lure him back from overseas, he would be a great choice:

1. He's a Titan. That should satisfy those of us who want someone who understands the culture of the Titans.

2. He's a coach's son. Almost from birth, he witnessed firsthand what it takes to grow a program and have success on the court. Often times, sons of coaches make good coaches, too. His lifetime of experience enables him to know what to do to achieve success and, as importantly, what not to do.

3. He has NBA experience, along with a sterling high school and college resume.

4. Even as a freshman (and certainly in the following 2 years) he was the floor general in his time with the Titans. Point guards have to see the big picture and, like baseball catchers, transition easier into coaching.

5. He is still young and would be able to relate to today's players.

6. He would be a good spokeman for the team. I've talked a little with Ray in the past and he handles himself very well. A bright young man with a precocious ability to conduct himself in an engaging and well-spoken manner (no SMDs, I'm guessing).

7. Fan interest would go up significantly, especially among the youthful demographic we need to attract.

8. We might just be hiring the next great young coach in college basketball. Sure, it's bold but, for once, we'd be on the cutting edge instead of playing catch up.

I'd be willing to try this... so long as he accepts an $82K salary with bonus structure.
udballer
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:42 pm

The-Dude wrote:
MooseGuy1 wrote:Dude, I started a thread on this last week. I didn't get many takers but I'm still hoping.

Awww, dang Moose, I’m bummed Dude. Let’s get your thread going. I think this is our best option: A young dynamic hustla.

Dude, I completely agree with this choice and would support this hire, like 110%.
The-Dude
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:50 pm

I know this is tongue-in-cheek but if you wanted a past PG not named Jackson to be your head coach, you would ask the "first" #3. He wants to be there for his young girls so he probably would say NO, but he certainly would draw interest to the Program.

Bottom Line: we need someone with experience. I thought BA had enough; I guess I was wrong. Neither #3 has enough experience. I will admit that it's more likely that Ray Jr would be willing to put in the requisite training (when his career is done) as an Assistant Coach for a few years than would Rashad. Even Willie wouldn't be ready; you need someone who knows how to run a college program. Again, I believed that BA would have had that down by now. I don't think JJ does, I don't think Willie does, and certainly I know that neither #3 does, even though I love 'em both.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:55 pm

uofdfan1983 wrote:I know this is tongue-in-cheek but if you wanted a past PG not named Jackson to be your head coach, you would ask the "first" #3. He wants to be there for his young girls so he probably would say NO, but he certainly would draw interest to the Program.

Bottom Line: we need someone with experience. I thought BA had enough; I guess I was wrong. Neither #3 has enough experience. I will admit that it's more likely that Ray Jr would be willing to put in the requisite training (when his career is done) as an Assistant Coach for a few years than would Rashad. Even Willie wouldn't be ready; you need someone who knows how to run a college program. Again, I believed that BA would have had that down by now. I don't think JJ does, I don't think Willie does, and certainly I know that neither #3 does, even though I love 'em both.

I agree 83, what we need now more than ever is a program manager.
R.B.J1
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball